THE BROWNS BOARD

Gerbil Peppers Signs

The Gipper

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a good site too for contracts. They verify your numbers. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/12218/jabrill-peppers

Peppers doesn't get the whole 5.6 m signing bonus up front? That's usually how players and agents want the money in case of injury. The Brown would pro rate the signing bonus over the 4 years.

The agents may want it all up front- but from a tax standpoint- spread it out over several years.

And his jersey is on the Shop now. Finally

Woody I may buy one also! He is our biggest upside player! I believe he will be a steal where we drafted him! His work ethic and love of the game is off the charts good!! He is not a school from up norther anymore...He is a kid from Toledo playing for my/our beloved BROWNS!!! We need some SALT to go with our Peppers!!! GO BROWNS!!! :-》

Good to see him signed... will be better to see him "fit".

Just have a nagging concern about scouting and ID'ing a collegiate hybrid for the Pros. While Gregg is one-for-one in ID'ing a Pro for the role in his D, it strikes me that doing so for the Draft adds a lot of complexity/uncertainty given the novelty and relative newness of the position at both levels.

Did not sound right Boo? Per spotrac--Peppers signed a 4 year deal with a 5th year option(nice) contract. Max deal 10M,341,989 with 8M001,717 guaranteed. Total signing bonus of contract=5M,661,446..In 2017 Peppers base salary is 465k with 2M.127 of signing bonus granted..(Nfl.com may leave almost a million on the table,but not Peppers camp) slotted amount & signing bonus are on the head. The 8M guaranteed seems to be the middle of the road settling point from both sides? Done deal..Let's Roll somebodies A$$ Peppers..

Yup... about $860k shy of "fully"...

Jabrill Peppers signed a 4 year contract worth $10,342,236 with the Browns on July 24, 2017. Peppers received a guarantee worth $9,484,330 including a $5,661,624 signing bonus.

https://overthecap.com/player/jabrill-peppers/5609

Good to see him signed... will be better to see him "fit".

Just have a nagging concern about scouting and ID'ing a collegiate hybrid for the Pros. While Gregg is one-for-one in ID'ing a Pro for the role in his D, it strikes me that doing so for the Draft adds a lot of complexity/uncertainty given the novelty and relative newness of the position at both levels.

Yup... about $860k shy of "fully"...

Jabrill Peppers signed a 4 year contract worth $10,342,236 with the Browns on July 24, 2017. Peppers received a guarantee worth $9,484,330 including a $5,661,624 signing bonus.

https://overthecap.com/player/jabrill-peppers/5609

& Those missing $$$ are in year four. If he plays decent, that's going to be renegotiated anyway.

& Those missing $$$ are in year four. If he plays decent, that's going to be renegotiated anyway.

Maybe, but that's uncharted territory... more likely to my mind is we exercise the 5th year option and renegotiate going into it.

We did renegotiate and extend both Bito and Kirksey going into their 4th seasons, but those were off 4-year deals for 2nd and 3rd round picks respectively.

I wonder how that works?

I always assumed that the Player and Agent got the full signing bonus upon signing the deal.

Can be the case if it helps cap-wise, but pro-rated over the contract period is the norm.

Browns waive Atkinson III and Add Brandon Wilds. I liked this guy's play at S.Carolina. Could be a sleeper. Underrated as a pass catcher out of the backfield.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/28/browns-sign-brandon-wilds-waive-george-atkinson-iii/

When he makes the Hall of Fame and the number is retired, I may consider it. Probably not. Hell, I still have not purchased a Jim Brown jersey.

By the way...what number is he going to wear?

I've got Jim Brown cornhole bags, they're awesome. 4 brown ones with white 32 and Brown on it and 4 white ones with brown 32 and Brown on them.

Yes, but for tax purposes Hoorta mentions spreading it out.

I do not see how that would work when the player has the money in hand. and if theyre smart, they invest wisely so it gains interest.

Simple, tax-bracket math vs. return on investment...

Peppers bonus was $5,661,624. Assuming the tax rates stay the same the next four years, then spreading the payments over four years saves about 2.3%... not a high investment return barrier even if 39.6% of the return goes to taxes, but not short-term, CD territory.

Then there's the question of whether the rates will stay the same? Who knows... and if they change, which direction will the top rate move?

So, an NFL signing bonus is not paid in full upon both parties signing the contract?

I have heard of NFL teams going after players to return signing bonus money for breach of contract. Seems like team X would be withholding annual signing bonus payment that player X is due which I have never heard of.

What happens if a player suddenly dies in the prime of his NFL career? Does his unpaid annual signing bonus go to next of kin?

On the unlikely but not impossible dying under contract unless it's stipulated otherwise any owed monies and other considerations would go to the estate, will or not.

This would be more in Gipper's wheelhouse.

How much will he charge us for a consultation?

Can you get us a deal?

Who Gipper? Well good lawyers are now what $300? $400 per hour?

I've got an MBA with a dual major in finance and management but did have some good business law courses covering primarily contracts not torts along with labor law, legislation, negotiations, etc.

I'd give it a shot but for serious business recommend seeing a lawyer....hey they're nice folks too! ;)

....oh I am retired too, lots of time on my hands to fool around with stuff or just watch sports! I highly recommend it. :lol:

On the unlikely but not impossible dying under contract unless it's stipulated otherwise any owed monies and other considerations would go to the estate, will or not.

This would be more in Gipper's wheelhouse.

Correct.....though, sometimes employer related benefits (life insurance, annuities, death benefits, pensions, 401Ks etc....could have a beneficiary designation to them. Not sure if the "balance remaining on a signing bonus" would have that option attached to them.

Correct.....though, sometimes employer related benefits (life insurance, annuities, death benefits, pensions, 401Ks etc....could have a beneficiary designation to them. Not sure if the "balance remaining on a signing bonus" would have that option attached to them.

I've heard they can also include stipulations under the "in the event of" heading for some things.

This can also include some behavior related issues for jocks and other spokesmen for products or services. We've all seen that happen some recently.

I've heard they can also include stipulations under the "in the event of" heading for some things.

This can also include some behavior related issues for jocks and other spokesmen for products or services. We've all seen that happen some recently.

You are talking apples and hubcaps. I am talking about what could happen to the balance of a signing bonus in the event of a death. You are apparently talking about events that could happen wherein part of a player's signing bonus....that has not yet been paid, could be forfeited or diminished by that players actions.

Two totally different matters......UNLESS.....it was that players actions/behavior that caused his death. Such as a Don Rogers situation? Kills himself with cocaine or other drugs...or kills himself drunk driving...or the like. I am of the opinion that the team would likely NOT forfeit a players balance remaining due on a signing bonus if he died under such circumstances....so as not to "harm" the players family. But, you never know. A guy like Art Modell may have tried that....but I don't know is there are any Art Modell like owners in the NFL these days.....are there?

as far as ATkinson - my guess is, that Wilds offers a more complete

skillset. He's bigger. No big deal, says here he could be on the practice squad...

http://brownswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/29/new-rb-brandon-wilds-brings-size-receiving-skills-to-browns-backfield/

Archived