THE BROWNS BOARD

WOW - Bob Stoops Retires

Shocked

Yes and no signed through I believe 2021 but 18 years at a big D-1A school can take it out of you he was the D-1A leader in years and all time Oklahoma wins.

And another in a long line of great Youngstown area coaches and Stoops family coaches and players.

Mayfield should put some points up with new HC Lincoln Riley's offensive system. Problem is Riley's offensive system puts guys like ECU's Shane Carden in the Arena League..What kind of talent is left at Oklahoma after this past Stoops draft class? Seems RB's & WR's will be in reboot also?

Shocked

I was a bit shocked at Thad Matta being let go (not quit) from The OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY after 13 seasons but then again they didn't make the big dance lately.

Bob Stoops was a big surprise even in Youngstown. But then again he will probably if not already have a booth job when he wants it.

Mayfield should put some points up with new HC Lincoln Riley's offensive system. Problem is Riley's offensive system puts guys like ECU's Shane Carden in the Arena League..What kind of talent is left at Oklahoma after this past Stoops draft class? Seems RB's & WR's will be in reboot also?

Kyler Murray: destroyer of programs ;)

• 1 month later...

As an OU fan not completely surprised by this but nervous about the transition. Riley is a fantastic offensive mind and seems like a very good recruiter. The Big 12 is still one of the weaker Power 5 conferences so OU has that going for them. I'm not sure they have the talent and coaching to compete for a National Championship but I can see an 11-2 season with a solid Bowl win happening.

As an OU fan not completely surprised by this but nervous about the transition. Riley is a fantastic offensive mind and seems like a very good recruiter. The Big 12 is still one of the weaker Power 5 conferences so OU has that going for them. I'm not sure they have the talent and coaching to compete for a National Championship but I can see an 11-2 season with a solid Bowl win happening.

11-2 and OU solid bowl win is indeed a good season. Amazing how spoiled we sports fans can be at times.

• 2 weeks later...

From USA TODAY FWIW:

Where does Bob Stoops rank among coaches?

The program Bob Stoops inherited at Oklahoma in 1999 had gone 61-50-3 during the combined tenures of his three predecessors, a record that might pass elsewhere but for the Sooners was nothing shy of an embarrassment.

The program he oversaw, meanwhile, went 190-48 overall, 121-29 in Big 12 Conference play and 101-9 at home, with one national title and 10 league titles.

1. NICK SABAN (MICHIGAN STATE/LSU/ALABAMA)

Saban is not just the best coach of this era but also one of the great coaches in college football history.

2. URBAN MEYER (BOWLING GREEN/UTAH/FLORIDA/OHIO STATE)

Meyer is nipping at Sabans heels. Ohio State is the site of his greatest work, but Meyer won two national titles at Florida, led Utah to the Fiesta Bowl and won 18 games during two seasons at Bowling Green.

3. PETE CARROLL (SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA)

Carrolls tenure at USC does exist under the cloud of NCAA sanctions. But there have been few dynasties in college football history as memorable as the one Carroll built during his nine seasons with the Trojans.

4. BOB STOOPS (OKLAHOMA)

So heres Stoops. His best teams were never as good as Carrolls best, for example. His 18-year tenure never featured a multiple-year run as dominant as those put together by Meyer, for example. And Sabans in another class. But Stoops is in elite company.

5. CHRIS PETERSEN (BOISE STATE/WASHINGTON)

Those who questioned Petersens success at Boise State were quieted by Washingtons run to top of the Pac-12 and into the College Football Playoff a year ago. He has won 82.1% of his games, trailing only Meyer among active coaches with at least a decade of experience.

6. JIM TRESSEL (OHIO STATE)

The Tressel era at Ohio State ended in disgrace; its impossible to overlook the scandal that cost Tressel his job, even if its easy to find a silver lining Tressels exit led to Meyers arrival, for example. But Tressels stretch is defined by the 2002 national title, dominance against Michigan and a run of five Big Ten titles in a row from 2005 to 2009.

7. MACK BROWN (NORTH CAROLINA/TEXAS)

Browns program never recovered from the hangover that followed the Longhorns loss to Alabama in the 2009 national championship game. But the numbers are impressive: Brown won at least nine games in each season from 1998 to 2009 and at least 10 games in each season from 2001 to 2009, a period highlighted by the 2005 national title.

8. GARY PATTERSON (TCU)

Theyve built a statue of Patterson outside of Amon G. Carter Stadium, which should tell you all you need to know. Since being name the full-time coach late in 2000, Patterson has won 149 games and notched six top-10 finishes.

9. JIMBO FISHER (FLORIDA STATE)

Fisher replaced Bobby Bowden and in short order put his stamp on the program. He won a national championship in 2013, making him one of four active coaches with a title to their names, and has the Seminoles again in Playoff contention entering the 2017 season.

10. LES MILES (OKLAHOMA STATE/LSU)

Like Stoops, Miles won his single national title early in his tenure his third season at LSU but couldnt bring home a second, although he came close in 2011. Before leading the Tigers, Miles laid the foundation for Mike Gundy at Oklahoma State.

Is the above ranking based on some statistic such as winning pct. or is it just someone's subjective ranking? I will give up this much: I think Alabama's HGH program is the finest in the nation.

Probably a lot like chili or stew depends on what the cook wants to put into it.

I'm not sure about weighting or anything else but it's probably pretty close to most similar lists. Just my opinion. ;)

I think Pete Carroll can lay legitimate hold on being the best coach alive since he's won it all at both levels, but that's just me.

Also, Tressell should be ahead of Petersen, and probably Stoops.

This list is indicative of someone who doesn't actually watch the game much. Pretty common knowledge that Mack Brown and Les Miles are both kind of idiots. Hence both getting fired despite winning national championships.

I think Pete Carroll can lay legitimate hold on being the best coach alive since he's won it all at both levels, but that's just me.

Also, Tressell should be ahead of Petersen, and probably Stoops.

This list is indicative of someone who doesn't actually watch the game much. Pretty common knowledge that Mack Brown and Les Miles are both kind of idiots. Hence both getting fired despite winning national championships.

Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer did too. Anyone else?

Archived