THE BROWNS BOARD

Wine Regions

The Gipper

When we go to see my son...who lives in the Finger Lakes region, we always go for wine tastings there. We did one just this a couple of weeks ago.

In fact, one Publisher listed the Finger Lakes as even BETTER than Napa Valley!! But still, the following seem to be the consensus of what the best wine regions of the USA are...not in any order.., as that is clearly disputable..this is more geographic:

Napa/Sonoma Valleys Calif.

Central Coast CA (Paso Robles/Santa Barbara)

Willamette Valley Oregon

Columbia Valley/Walla Walla Washington

Snake River Valley, Idaho

Texas Hill Country

Central Missouri/Missouri River Valley

Shawnee Hills, Southern Illinois

Michigan, around Traverse City (particularly cherry wine)

Ohio along Lake Erie

The Finger Lakes, NY

Long Island NY

Central/SE Virginia Charlottesville to Williamsburg

I have been to some of these and did a bit of tasting...but a few locations surprised me when I read them: Idaho, Long Island, So. Illinois.

My timeshare company does some promotion of the concept of traveling to these locations to do wine tasting tour.

They have Resorts in Williamsburg/Shenandoah area for the Central Virg. wines.

NW Michigan resorts for the Traverse City wines.

Central and coastal Oregon for the Willamette Valley wines.

Lake Ozark resorts for the Missouri Rhineland wines.

San Antonio/Bandera for Texas Hill Country wines.

Chelan/Leavenworth Washington resorts for the Washington wines.

Resorts in Sun Valley and McCall for Idaho wines (I admit...when I was there last year I didn't try any...as I didn't know it was a wine producing region)

They are promoting Napa/Calif. area wine tourism. The "Central Coast" could get a boost along these lines as well. (anyone remember the movie "Sideways"....set in Central Coast CA wine country)

They have no resorts that can accommodate an interest in the Wine regions of The Finger Lakes, or Long Island or Ohio/Lake Erie, or So. Illinois (closest being So. Indiana...which is actually my next trip....I plan to tour the Shawnee Hills of Ill. from there, so now I will be attuned to maybe checking out the wines of that region).

Just thought I would see if any of you all had your opinions about these various wine making regions of the US.

When we go to see my son...who lives in the Finger Lakes region, we always go for wine tastings there. We did one just this a couple of weeks ago.

In fact, one Publisher listed the Finger Lakes as even BETTER than Napa Valley!! But still, the following seem to be the consensus of what the best wine regions of the USA are...not in any order.., as that is clearly disputable..this is more geographic:

Napa/Sonoma Valleys Calif.

Central Coast CA (Paso Robles/Santa Barbara)

Willamette Valley Oregon

Columbia Valley/Walla Walla Washington

Snake River Valley, Idaho

Texas Hill Country

Central Missouri/Missouri River Valley

Shawnee Hills, Southern Illinois

Michigan, around Traverse City (particularly cherry wine)

Ohio along Lake Erie

The Finger Lakes, NY

Long Island NY

Central/SE Virginia Charlottesville to Williamsburg

I have been to some of these and did a bit of tasting...but a few locations surprised me when I read them: Idaho, Long Island, So. Illinois.

My timeshare company does some promotion of the concept of traveling to these locations to do wine tasting tour.

They have Resorts in Williamsburg/Shenandoah area for the Central Virg. wines.

NW Michigan resorts for the Traverse City wines.

Central and coastal Oregon for the Willamette Valley wines.

Lake Ozark resorts for the Missouri Rhineland wines.

San Antonio/Bandera for Texas Hill Country wines.

Chelan/Leavenworth Washington resorts for the Washington wines.

Resorts in Sun Valley and McCall for Idaho wines (I admit...when I was there last year I didn't try any...as I didn't know it was a wine producing region)

They are promoting Napa/Calif. area wine tourism. The "Central Coast" could get a boost along these lines as well. (anyone remember the movie "Sideways"....set in Central Coast CA wine country)

They have no resorts that can accommodate an interest in the Wine regions of The Finger Lakes, or Long Island or Ohio/Lake Erie, or So. Illinois (closest being So. Indiana...which is actually my next trip....I plan to tour the Shawnee Hills of Ill. from there, so now I will be attuned to maybe checking out the wines of that region).

Just thought I would see if any of you all had your opinions about these various wine making regions of the US.

A little pressed for time Gip but you pretty much nailed the order. Only omission on you part would be the Lodi\ Placerville area in California.

As to the Finger Lakes superior to Napa\ Sonoma, he's had far too much finger lake wine when he wrote that....

A little pressed for time Gip but you pretty much nailed the order. Only omission on you part would be the Lodi\ Placerville area in California.

As to the Finger Lakes superior to Napa\ Sonoma, he's had far too much finger lake wine when he wrote that....

This was just geographical order...west to east, nothing else. Have you ever had Snake River Valley Wine? Or Shawnee Hills wine? Or Long Island wine (not iced tea!)

My favorite. I think it comes from Southern Mississippi vineyards:

022.JPG

:lol:

Yeah with the classics Ripple and Boone's Farm.

• 1 month later...

The next total eclipse occurs April 8, 2024 and even though my home is about 1/3 of the way into the total arc, I may have to go to this place in the very center. It's on the N end of Lake Buchanan in Tow, Texas. Have a decent couple of reds that recently won golds at San Fran. International Wine contest.

https://www.fcv.com/

46 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The next total eclipse occurs April 8, 2024 and even though my home is about 1/3 of the way into the total arc, I may have to go to this place in the very center. It's on the N end of Lake Buchanan in Tow, Texas. Have a decent couple of reds that recently won golds at San Fran. International Wine contest.

https://www.fcv.com/

I may have to keep that in mind for the next time I visit my daughter in SA

Archived