THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign Josh McCown to 3 year contract

Mark O

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are going to have to explain why he is a better solution than Hoyer.

Also this pretty much shuts down the idea of trading up for a QB this they will give Manziel another shot.

#100yearssar

I can give you a few rerasons.

First, it has been reported we have been reaching out to Hoyers camp and nothing was happening. Maybe Hoyer doesn't want back or wants way more than we were willing to pay, both in money and years.

McCown was played for the new OC in Oakland. I would assume he knows the system.

We haven't given up on Manziel just yet. Possibly McCown who is older than Hoyer is a little more willing to take his three year contract and actually mentor Manziel. Maybe McCown plays this year, maybe not, but like it or not, teams don't draft a QB in the first round and then pretty much give up on them in year two.

This is good. The off-season usually gives me hope and the season itself is when it's depressing enough to drink as crushing reality sets in.

It's like fast forwarding to September now. If you'll excuse me, I have a bottle of Makers 46 to open, crying to do and film to watch.

First, it has been reported we have been reaching out to Hoyers camp and nothing was happening. Maybe Hoyer doesn't want back or wants way more than we were willing to pay, both in money and years.

McCown was played for the new OC in Oakland. I would assume he knows the system.

We haven't given up on Manziel just yet. Possibly McCown who is older than Hoyer is a little more willing to take his three year contract and actually mentor Manziel. Maybe McCown plays this year, maybe not, but like it or not, teams don't draft a QB in the first round and then pretty much give up on them in year two.

Thing is ... McCown is a strict dropback passer and Manziel is not. We are not going tobrun two offenses. I dont tjink this bodes well for Johnny. I think McCown is the bridge to our next dropback passer.

Z

This is good. The off-season usually gives me hope and the season itself is when it's depressing enough to drink as crushing reality sets in.

It's like fast forwarding to September now. If you'll excuse me, I have a bottle of Makers 46 to open, crying to do and film to watch.

Care to share?

I agree with all of this as well. Tampa had a shit o-line last year so it's hard to completely judge him on that year. He played well for the Bears recently as well so there's that.

The bad. It's McCown. He had the greatest run in his career only when he had two pro bowl receivers and one of the best offensive minds in the NFL. This also dictates that unless we snag FA WR's... 1st round WR is now in play.

The good. The guy doesn't mind mentoring a young QB. I'd prefer that to be Grayson or Petty thus giving the Browns the ability to eliminate all of our needs in FA and the draft in the higher rounds. - Farmer has had a badass track record in free agency, boy I hope he has a vision of being able to channel some of Josh's better play from Chicago.

MKC called into The Bull & Fox show, and shed a little light on the McCown signing.

She said that McCown was willing to accept a mentoring/backup role whereas Hoyer was not.

I'm wondering who he's going to teach, JFF or a QB coming out of the draft?

MKC called into The Bull & Fox show, and shed a little light on the McCown signing.

She said that McCown was willing to accept a mentoring/backup role whereas Hoyer was not.

So we signed a competitor who would rather be a backup/mentor (us), then he would a starter (Bills)? That's encouraging.

Seagram's and 7 here, But if you get a chance, Watch tape on Mannion with over 500 snaps under center, sounds like he fits the Josh Offense But with a Great O Line. Looking for any Hope...

So we signed a competitor who would rather be a backup/mentor (us), then he would a starter (Bills)? That's encouraging.

I'm thinking the Browns offered more money for McCown to be a mentor, than the Bills offered for him to be a starter.

Either scenario, I'm not thrilled with this signing.

Hoyer wants to start. Neither last year nor this year would Hoyer help develop ANY rookie to pass him on the depth chart. On the other hand, McCown will be willing to start, backup, but more important, willingly mentor a young QB without bitterness or jealousy. IMO, he (McCown) has significant value.

We'll see.

Mike

Archived