THE BROWNS BOARD

Mccoy Traded

Mark O

its a legit question...why does he fit there and not here? System probably. Colt may be functional in a modified WCO as they run it. But not in what we are end up going to do here.

It's all about system. He doesn't have the tools to play in an offense based on throwing the ball down field. However in a WCO/spread offense that they're running in SF, he might be able to have some success.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all about system. He doesn't have the tools to play in an offense based on throwing the ball down field. However in a WCO/spread offense that they're running in SF, he might be able to have some success.

Like SF isnt going to take a qb in this draft. Colt will b a stop gap in the backup position.

Great trade if we hit on a kicker.

Good luck Colt, we hardly knew ye. I hope you and Dawson do well together :( You should convince SF to get Cribbs to. You guys all deserved better than what you got here. I hate this trade. SF has the second to the last pick in each round because they were in the Superbowl so instead of a 5th and 7th we end up with pretty much a 6th and next to mr. irrelevant pick... I'm sorry but that's not good enough. 49er's made a good move as Colt is probably better than anything coming out this year and we'll probably be taking Barkley at 6... :(

Good luck Colt, we hardly knew ye. I hope you and Dawson do well together :( You should convince SF to get Cribbs to. You guys all deserved better than what you got here. I hate this trade. SF has the second to the last pick in each round because they were in the Superbowl so instead of a 5th and 7th we end up with pretty much a 6th and next to mr. irrelevant pick... I'm sorry but that's not good enough. 49er's made a good move as Colt is probably better than anything coming out this year and we'll probably be taking Barkley at 6... :(

Dawson deserved better?? Are you serious? We payed that guy a shit ton of money for 14 seasons after being undrafted coming out of college. I'd say things turned out pretty good for him. And you still can't seem to get it through your head that he DIDNT want to come back here.

And we hardly knew Colt? The guy got 20 starts in the NFL...we saw plenty to know exactly what he is.

Lastly...I'll bet you anything you would like to wager that we don't take Barkley at #6.

My worst fear is one half way there , Colt Becomes the Next Joe Montana . The only way we win is if colt becomes the next Brady quinn . If he has one good season somewhere ; anywhere he will have a lifetime Job at ESPN and a admit one pass to the H O F . Media Loves to say "I told you so Cleveland .

Another unbiased opinion on the trade....

Trade is win-win for Browns, Colt McCoy

April, 1, 2013

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

The Cleveland Browns traded backup quarterback Colt McCoy to the San Francisco 49ers on Monday in what was a win-win for the Browns and their deposed starter. The Browns sent McCoy and a sixth-round pick (173rd overall) in exchange for the 49ers' picks in the fifth (164th overall) and seventh rounds (227th overall), according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

This was more than what the Browns could have ever envisioned in getting rid of McCoy. The Browns essentially got to move up nine spots into the fifth round and added an extra seventh-rounder for McCoy, who was going to be released (and getting no compensation) if a trade didn't occur. McCoy had no chance of making the roster after Cleveland signed Jason Campbell last week.

McCoy is also a winner in this move. Like kicker Phil Dawson, McCoy gets to go from a perennial last-place team to a Super Bowl one. It's a nice reward for McCoy, who was a consummate professional even after the Browns drafted his replacement last year in Brandon Weeden.

It was a bad match when the Browns used a third-round pick on McCoy in 2010. He lacked a strong arm, which is a necessity to throw in the lakefront winds of Cleveland. McCoy went 6-15 as the Browns starter.

McCoy's last start for the Browns was a historical one. In December 2011, he suffered a nasty concussion after James Harrison leveled him with a helmet-to-helmet hit. It led to Harrison becoming the first player to get suspended under the NFL's enhanced enforcement of player safety violations. It also caused the NFL to put independent neurologists at every NFL games to better monitor players with head injuries.

Now, McCoy gets a much-needed fresh start in San Francisco, where he will compete against Scott Tolzien to be the backup to Colin Kaepernick.

Once again...pretty much sums up what we all were saying around here for the last month. And this dude is right...it's a win win for the Browns and for Colt.

I'm extremely disappointed in hearning this news. Why not let him compete? This is a terrible decision in my opinion. Whatever though, you win... but at the same time, we all lose.

How is McCoy good enough to go to a team that contended for championship last year, but he's not good enough here? Well, you all got what you wanted, it's no wonder we're always so bad.

You don't pay a backup QB 3m a year. It's that simple.

This is the same person who followed mainstream media by sucking Trent Richardson's #$%^ last offseason. I give him credit for going against the grain here and actually believing in something other than what people tell him to. The only problem is that unlike me, he's not willing to admit when he was wrong.

And you were wrong, dude. Just give it up. McCoy was out the moment Chud and Turner took over. He isn't their type of QB. Move on.

I don't think he has it in him. I'd imagine it's hard to go that far against the grain and then admit that you were wrong and 99% of the people on this board were right when they tried to tell you that you were wrong and gave reasons why he was wrong. I'll give him credit for not giving up....but it's time for him to admit he was wrong.

Assuming the Browns won't be in the Superbowl...

Canton Mike and I HOPE like heyl that Dawson and Colt get superbowl rings with the Niners.

They gave it all on the field, and they were class acts, solid people, and they love the game.

I hope Cribbs signs with the Niners, too, and gets that ring. Same thing goes for him.

Another great view on the trade...

Thoughts on Colt McCoy trade

Posted by Vic Carucci on April 2, 2013 – 12:53 am

By Vic Carucci, Senior Editor

Here are five thoughts on the Browns’ trading quarterback Colt McCoy to the 49ers on Monday:

>>Once the Browns added free-agent quarterback Jason Campbell, it seemed inevitable that McCoy would be the odd man out on the depth chart. Before Campbell’s arrival, McCoy was the closest the team had to experienced depth behind Brandon Weeden. With Campbell and his 71 career starts, the Browns have significantly more experience behind the second-year incumbent starter.

>>McCoy never looked like he would be a good fit in the offense coach Rob Chudzinski and offensive coordinator Norv Turner will employ. This scheme calls for a big, sturdy quarterback with a powerful arm to throw the deep ball consistently well – someone who can stand tall in the pocket, hold up against pressure and allow longer pass patterns to develop. That’s Weeden. That’s Campbell. That’s not McCoy.

>>McCoy was, understandably, one of the more popular players on the team. His likeable personality had something to do with that, as did the spark he provided the team when he was forced to become the starter in place of Jake Delhomme as a rookie in 2010. His hard-working nature and display of sheer toughness also made him someone fans found easy to embrace.

>>Contrary to an opinion that many McCoy supporters have often expressed to yours truly, he received a fair opportunity to start. I know all of the discussion about him not getting a sustained look with a better supporting cast than he had in 2011. However, I think he received sufficient time as a starter to demonstrate that he has enough physical limitations, particularly with his arm, to fall short of what it takes to succeed in the No. 1 role. And this deal is additional proof that he’s in the right role as a backup.

>>McCoy could carve out a nice career as a No. 2 quarterback. He’s a bright student of the game and should interact well with the Niners’ No. 1 signal-caller, Colin Kaepernick, who figures to be a star for many years to come. McCoy generally appeared to handle himself well under difficult circumstances when he effectively lost his job the moment the Browns made Weeden the 22nd overall pick of last year’s draft.

Assuming the Browns won't be in the Superbowl...

Canton Mike and I HOPE like heyl that Dawson and Colt get superbowl rings with the Niners.

They gave it all on the field, and they were class acts, solid people, and they love the game.

I hope Cribbs signs with the Niners, too, and gets that ring. Same thing goes for him.

+1 Cal, I totally agree with this statement

This is a win for both teams, and even McCoy who gets to join Phil.

The Niners win when Kaepernick isn't in and McCoy gets to shine with that great O-Line and run game, which will essentially be the next Alex Smith type move for them.

The 5th rounder we aquire will hopefully allow us to grab a decent QB, if one they like falls to us that late, other wise any other need available like TE, or even a receiver or fullback, who knows?

And it was stated by Tony Grossi that the 7th rounder(227) was SanFran's highest of 3 7th rounders, which I like because we need a kicker and what better round to take a kicker like Sturgis out of Florida then the 7th?

why would we use any picks this year to draft a QB? that makes no sense whatsoever, especially considering this thread title.

2014 is where we would have to set our sights on a QB considering banner just went all in on weeden and campbell and be damned if you don't like it. if they go unproven and are busted look out for lombardi to make the 2014 draft his 'big splash' (belly flop or swan dive) after a top ten pick in a QB.

I'll laugh when Kaepernick gets injured runnig out of the pocket and McCoy starts and leads them to a SB under the guidence of someone that actually knows how to groom and facillitate QB's...good luck Colt...you never got a fair shake...but...you'll get yours eventually.

why would we use any picks this year to draft a QB? that makes no sense whatsoever, especially considering this thread title.

2014 is where we would have to set our sights on a QB considering banner just went all in on weeden and campbell and be damned if you don't like it.

Good point but there's a big IF. I'm pretty sure there not gonna grab just any QB, but IF its the 5th and IF a QB prospect falls, then why not take him in and prep him a year instead of drafting a rookie next year who won't be quite as ready.

Good point but there's a big IF. I'm pretty sure there not gonna grab just any QB, but IF its the 5th and IF a QB prospect falls, then why not take him in and prep him a year instead of drafting a rookie next year who won't be quite as ready.

i here ya.

my thought is if we find out this year that weeden isn't the guy, mccoy has been traded.....kinda tells me that homlgren really fucked us in his guru thinking that he could catch lightning in a bottle again...and totally failed.

maybe this FO can find that diamond in a rough with a late round pick? don't know. just hate the draft misses we have had since '99 for that position.

really hoping weeden WILL do it. if not, then 2014 best QB available, if not trade up to get our next kosar or sipe.

I'll laugh when Kaepernick gets injured runnig out of the pocket and McCoy starts and leads them to a SB under the guidence of someone that actually knows how to groom and facillitate QB's...good luck Colt...you never got a fair shake...but...you'll get yours eventually.

SF and I think shefter and Jason la canfora is saying Colt might not even be able to beat out Tolzien

I'm on the side of the guys who root for the underdog.

I'd imagine my favorite Browns player of all time was Brian Sipe.

Tell ya the truth this new system every year and new quarterback every year is just a pain in my ass. Almost like trying to wind a NASCAR race by pulling over every 3 laps to switch drivers.

If we could possibly get some consistency here over the next few years, who knows maybe...

If not we will suck for another 5 years until truck stop Jimmy packs up and heads for San Antonio.

WSS

What's laughable is how many times I've heard this same old line. What if he goes on and wins a Super Bowl? People said the same crap about couch, holcombe, frye, Anderson, Quinn, etc. face it: the browns have drafted a bunch of dud QBs with backup potential. I wouldn't doubt if colt does okay should he be put it in a game. But backup QBs don't take teams to the playoffs each year. Colt mcCoy had a chance to prove his worth and he was just not good enough. I don't see how hard that is.

Unbelievable how many homos love a shitty back up qb and glorify him. For what? Yeah he played hard and had heart. He got paid big boy bucks to do it too. I don't feel an ounce of sorrow for him but I don't wish him bad either. Back up qb gone, farewell

What's laughable is how many times I've heard this same old line. What if he goes on and wins a Super Bowl? People said the same crap about couch, holcombe, frye, Anderson, Quinn, etc. face it: the browns have drafted a bunch of dud QBs with backup potential. I wouldn't doubt if colt does okay should he be put it in a game. But backup QBs don't take teams to the playoffs each year. Colt mcCoy had a chance to prove his worth and he was just not good enough. I don't see how hard that is. JRB

No, I don't believe people said the same things about those other players, ever. And Colt didn't have a viable right tackle. Truth is, he got the Bernie Kosar treatment,

bashed into a half second after taking snaps, no short striding, get open fast wr's, and yeah, he didn't have a strong arm. Testeverde did. He sucked. DA sure did,

and he sucked too.

Colt didn't have the big arm, though he had everything else.

Several of us said that about Kosar, back in the day. All beaten up, broken fingers, wrists and elbow healed up as much as possible, he went on to play in a championship game

for Dallas, after only so many days with his new team, played most of the second half, and won the game when Aikman was hurt, out of the game. And Kosar did get his super bowl ring.

In other words, immobile or not, the Browns should have been drafting offensive linemen to protect any qb they had. Bernie Kosar got the hell beaten out of him. And, it wasn't

all about being imoobile, either - it was lack of offensive line blocking. Colt was bigtime mobile, and he often had no chance in hell of running a play unless it was to the left side.

Brian Sipe didn't have a huge arm either. But he had receivers, and an oline that did the job, even if Dieken did have to hold every so often....

Here, btw, is a nice 2010 article on Kosar....

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2010/08/in_second_half_of_his_life_for.html

You know what I think it is, this "loving a shitty QB" or whatever? Maybe it's the fact that for years and years we've been a shitty team. We've listened to Front Office after Front Office come in here and proclaim that they're going to "right the ship", they're going to make us contenders. Oh, or how they are going to make football relevant again in NE Ohio. That they have a plan. That this time it's going to be different, they want to return the Browns to their former glory... and we all get to watch them blow it all up, over and over again.

Watching the Browns is just not very enjoyable. It's a nerve-wrecking experience week-in and week-out. Regardless of the ineptitude of the opponent the Browns won't put them away. They let them hang in the game until they find a way to lose it, except when we accidentally win every once in a while. A lot of people on this board and all over the place say, "winning is all that matters". Well, to that I say that you're full of crap. If winning was all that mattered to you then you wouldn't be here rooting for the Browns. If winning was the only thing you were interested in and all that you cared about then you would be a fan of a team that is constantly in the Playoff Picture. Or maybe, you would go off the deep end completely and you would be like the other countless Ohioans who went rouge and became "Steeler Fans".

Maybe it's that we've become accustomed to losing so much that we have come to expect it. In the very least we have come to accept it, to prepare for it. We are always rebuilding, always in the "process". We prepare ourselves season after season of having a losing record so that by chance if we made it to .500 we could have something to look forward to- as if to say to our rivals- "Look at us, we broke even, we are not losers anymore"!

Though the years I've come to face the facts that this ship that we are all on just isn't very good; it leaks and needs constant repair. Every plan or "treasure map" turn out to be a wild goose chase for "fool's gold" right to the bottom of the Pacific. The captain either abandons ship or is thrown overboard into shark infested waters. We have a broken compass onboard that will not allow us to escape from the Bermuda Triangle and we've been going in circles for what seems like forever. Every free agent that signed on the dotted-line was some old, weather-beaten veteran looking for that one last voyage before being laid to rest at sea.

Instead of winning it became "progress" or "moral victories". You know, winning is as important to me as you say it is to you, but here's the difference. During my tenure of being a Browns Fan I have started looking for something other than winning, since that is the rare occasion, to place my hope in. I came to understand that in every contest there will be a winner and a loser in every game, and that if we can't win, I at least want us to go down fighting. I expect to see some passion for the game and in some small measure, in the eyes of our players, pain in defeat. We want players that want to be here, that believe that the community is as important as the play on the field, players that embrace the "underdog" mentality and above all, players that play from the heart. I saw those things in players like Vickers, Jurevicius, Josh Cribbs and Colt McCoy. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong, but I can find no wrong in supporting players with traits and values such as these.

I agree that having big guns or being big in general are both things you can't teach, but playing with passion or heart cannot be taught either. I have a certain code that I will always stand by, and if it comes down to size or heart, I'll always lean towards the latter. Goliath was big, David was not... and we all know how that turned out. So, you can joke or laugh to your hearts content but the biggest joke of all was played on the Cleveland Browns, as we were robbed of a quality individual, a leader on and off the field, an excellent role model for our children, a player that gave us 100% and someone that to me, was more important than some meaningless win we probably weren't going to get anyways. God bless you guys and I only hope that they can find more players like Colt McCoy that can attempt to try and fill the vast void that will be left in his absence. :(

Archived