THE BROWNS BOARD

Fences review

Fences

Paramount

PG 13. 139 min

While politics probably had a hand and propelling HIDDEN FIGURES to a best picture nomination FENCES starring and directed by Denzel Washington needs no help from anyone. You will probably be surprised if you bother with the synopsis so as I usually warn, just go see it, pick up your voice and see if we agree.

It seems most films African Americans are based on black people versus white people. FENCES is about a main character versus, well, himself actually. As Keith Ried once said "made only more painful by the knowledge that all that I have is of my own making."

Washington is Troy, a once promising baseball player now past his prime and working for the local trash collector. He has been through some rough times but prides himself on supporting his family being a stern taskmaster to his son Cory. Unfortunately his no-nonsense style of parenting has driving away both Corey (Joanne Adepo) and his older son, both of which desire nothing more than the approval and love of their father. Troy is also what some people would call a bullshit artist. Evenings in the back yard with his buddy, Bono (Stephen Henderson ) he revels in telling tall tales before being brought good naturedly to Earth by his wife Rose (Viola Davis)

Troy is rough around the edges but he doesn't appear to be a bad (at least not terrible) man just stubborn and lacking the empathy that a father should show for his sons.

He works hard, receives a promotion he tries for and owes no one. On top of that it seems like he's generous in taking care of is mentally disabled brother Gabriel (Mikelti Williamson) but there is a secret there. Of course that's not the only hidden issue to arise, in true DEATH OF A SALESMAN style that takes any irreparable toll on this family.

I was extremely impressed by Washington's non stop performance throughout as he's on screen almost the entire time.

One of the great things about this film and prize-winning story is that it makes no difference what race the characters are. This film could be set in the poor Irish neighborhoods of Boston, Italians inLittle Italy or Cockneys in London and would still be effective.

It's an impressive story with an impressive cast certainly worthy of a Best Picture Oscar and a Best Actor performance by the always impressive Washington.

A-

WSS

I see you give this movie a good review...as opposed to Moonlight. I guess if they just wanted to be "politically correct", they could have chosen this one as well as the other one and made you happier?

No idea what you're talking about Gipper.

Moonlight was a piece of dreary shit it only got noticed because it's about Negroes and homosexuals. Fences is a wonderful film that just happened to be cast with black people. You don't agree I can't help you.

If you have seen either one or both feel free to agree or disagree.

WSS

No idea what you're talking about Gipper.

Moonlight was a piece of dreary shit it only got noticed because it's about Negroes and homosexuals. Fences is a wonderful film that just happened to be cast with black people. You don't agree I can't help you.

If you have seen either one or both feel free to agree or disagree.

WSS

You had made the comment that you thought that Moonlight won the Oscar merely out of "political correctness". By that I assumed you meant that because it was simply a "black" oriented movie. And fences as well was a "black" oriented movie, no?

Or did you have something else in mind when you used the term "political correctness"?

You had made the comment that you thought that Moonlight won the Oscar merely out of "political correctness". By that I assumed you meant that because it was simply a "black" oriented movie. And fences as well was a "black" oriented movie, no?

Or did you have something else in mind when you used the term "political correctness"?

After Will Smith threw a fit last year we knew that a bunch of negro movies were going to get tagged. If you read my review and if you understand you noticed that I said that fences could have been about any race. It's not just because he's black. Politically correct as far as Moonlight was the fact that they are black, live in the ghetto and are homosexuals. I don't know how I can make it much more clear. All due respect, I'm assuming you didn't see either one so what are you bickering about?

WSS

After Will Smith threw a fit last year we knew that a bunch of negro movies were going to get tagged. If you read my review and if you understand you noticed that I said that fences could have been about any race. It's not just because he's black. Politically correct as far as Moonlight was the fact that they are black, live in the ghetto and are homosexuals. I don't know how I can make it much more clear. All due respect, I'm assuming you didn't see either one so what are you bickering about?

WSS

No, I didn't see either...and I wasn't bickering....I was just wondering why you thought one AA oriented movie was "politically correct" where another wasn't. And I think you have explained it.

I couldnt agree more with you Steve regarding both the review on Fences and the political reason Moonlight gets nominated.

'Mrs Hooker' and I saw Fences on Christmas eve and from the first word D Washington (Troy) utters - it is a non stop volley of dialogue

between a few interesting characters. Denzel Washington took this story from an August Wilson play and adapts it to a memorable performance.

NEVER did I think I was being manipulated into a racial struggle rather a normal human struggle we all share....

Regarding Moonlight, it is usually a forgone conclusion that the flavor of the day WINS the day especially in Hollywood.....

Archived