THE BROWNS BOARD

QB Questions

Flugel

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Veteran QBs that could be available to the Browns...if they wanted to go that route:

Tyrod Taylor

Tony Romo

Colin Kaepernick

Kirk Cousins

Jimmy Garropolo

Brian Hoyer

Mike Glennon

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Geno Smith

Plus this cast of characters:

1. Nick Foles, QB, Chiefs.
  2. Matt Barkley, QB, Bears.
  3. Ryan Mallett, QB, Ravens.
  4. Case Keenum, QB, Rams.
  5. Christian Ponder, QB, 49ers.
  6. Josh Johnson, QB, Giants.
  7. Blaine Gabbert, QB, 49ers.
  8. Shaun Hill, QB, Vikings.
  9. Matt Schaub, QB, Falcons.
  10. Dan Orlovsky, QB, Lions.
  11. Tyler Bray, QB, Chiefs.
  12. Johnny Manziel, QB, Browns.
  13. Josh McCown, QB, Browns.

Who would you all want out of this group....if any?

I would still be somewhat interested in Nick Foles

"Can win with Kess"... sounds like a bumper sticker.

Question is how much load can Kess carry? So far not much is what I see.

Perhaps, but our other playmakers have shown the ability to actually make plays from time to time. Behind a solid OL, crow can make big plays. Duke can make guys miss in the open field. Pryor can win contested catches. Coleman can get open with his quickness and make guys miss after the catch (assuming he catches it).

I don't think we need a QB who can win the game on his own (though I wouldn't say no), we just need to get the guys we have to play to their potential.

Perhaps, but our other playmakers have shown the ability to actually make plays from time to time. Behind a solid OL, crow can make big plays. Duke can make guys miss in the open field. Pryor can win contested catches. Coleman can get open with his quickness and make guys miss after the catch (assuming he catches it).

I don't think we need a QB who can win the game on his own (though I wouldn't say no), we just need to get the guys we have to play to their potential.

I hear you, but to be clear I am not arguing that we cannot build around a "game manager" type QB. I can't since I argued that we could build around Hoyer, who until his melt down looked that part. What I am arguing is that Kess is not even to the Hoyer level as yet.

The difference is processing speed. At his best Brian took the shots that Kess was benched for bypassing.

Might Kess further develop? Sure... it's not fair to compare the then 5th-year vet that Brian was when he flashed in his injury-shortened emergence with a 3rd-string rookie pressed into action. But then that's the only comparison available at this time.

I hear you, but to be clear I am not arguing that we cannot build around a "game manager" type QB. I can't since I argued that we could build around Hoyer, who until his melt down looked that part. What I am arguing is that Kess is not even to the Hoyer level as yet.

The difference is processing speed. At his best Brian took the shots that Kess was benched for bypassing.

Might Kess further develop? Sure... it's not fair to compare the then 5th-year vet that Brian was when he flashed in his injury-shortened emergence with a 3rd-string rookie pressed into action. But then that's the only comparison available at this time.

call me a homer, but whats your thoughts on the Mike Glennon you remember? as a taller game manager, when he played, he reminded me of a Hoyer with a 1 weapon WR. Neither are a Alex Smith arm, but a game manager that were closer to a RG3 2 yr. lookzie deal with a opt out? will Oz Glennon get a 5 yr. deal?

call me a homer, but whats your thoughts on the Mike Glennon you remember? as a taller game manager, when he played, he reminded me of a Hoyer with a 1 weapon WR. Neither are a Alex Smith arm, but a game manager that were closer to a RG3 2 yr. lookzie deal with a opt out? will Oz Glennon get a 5 yr. deal?

Glennon was discussed just yesterday on NFL Insiders as a potential fit with the Jets. It was the first I'd thought about him in a good while.

I'm more or less "meh" on the guy. While he's put some good stuff on tape, I never seen him as starter material. In part it's likely his gangly, Ichabod Crane look. It doesn't whisper "leader", let alone scream it.

Glennon was discussed just yesterday on NFL Insiders as a potential fit with the Jets. It was the first I'd thought about him in a good while.

I'm more or less "meh" on the guy. While he's put some good stuff on tape, I never seen him as starter material. In part it's likely his gangly, Ichabod Crane look. It doesn't whisper "leader", let alone scream it.

Can he be worse that Brock Osweiler?

I was pleasantly surprised by some of what Kessler was able to do on the field. I did not, however, like his last start, and I thought all the talk about "Cody needs to force the ball down the field" really screwed him up. He didn't look a thing like he did earlier in the year, and he wasn't getting the ball out at all. My biggest problem with Cody, and something I don't think can be fixed, is that he just can't get out of pressure. Some of the sacks he took looked like a stronger man could've shaken off, and he looked so slow to me. He can't get out of danger, and he can't hurt anybody with his legs. I know we want our QB's to THROW the ball, but when I went back and watched some of Cody's games, I saw the biggest running lanes in the universe that he NEVER exploited. I'm talking about lanes where Cody could've run for 10+ yards and slid without getting touched. This is important because it makes the defense adjust, and it will actually help a QB throwing the ball. If they have to respect a QB picking up 1st downs or nice yards with his legs, there will certainly be adjustments made that could affect defensive coverage. I realize I previously said how slow he is, but some of these lanes were GIANT, and it's not like Cody is completely immobile like Rivers, it's just he can't avoid sacks and power through arm tackles.

Maybe I'm wrong? Perhaps Cody was thrust into an impossible situation and did the best he could with limited reps and practice time. Maybe a year under his belt and some time with NFL strength coaches will significantly benefit him. NFL players get better all of the time, so why not Cody? I don't care about the arm strength. I think he throws the ball just fine. I'll say this about Cody, if he DOES get better, we'll know pretty quickly. If he comes into camp and looks solid, and then continues that play into preseason...then maybe he can be our guy. Of course, this is the optimistic side of the coin, and the Browns OBVIOUSLY can't bank on this, and must address the position either through the draft, free agency, or BOTH.

Here's a pretty good video of Andrew Gribble and Nathan Zegura breaking down some of the top QB prospects. It's long, but I enjoyed it.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Gribble--Zegura-review-national-mock-drafts/a3664e78-83c1-440a-8742-507b2969c7e9

I was pleasantly surprised by some of what Kessler was able to do on the field. I did not, however, like his last start, and I thought all the talk about "Cody needs to force the ball down the field" really screwed him up. He didn't look a thing like he did earlier in the year, and he wasn't getting the ball out at all.

Again... I think you mischaracterize "the talk". It was never about "forcing" anything anywhere. It was about seeing and taking downfield opportunities that were there. Opportunities that he either could not see or for which he did not look.

In either case he was ignoring shots. And when you do that you are going to be quicker to your dump offs that pad stats, but don't put points on the board.

While the numbers looked decent....is there ever a time last year that you thought that Kessler was ever capable of winning a game?

Certainly not on his own......any QB in the NFL is capable of winning a game(how many have multiple starts, but haven't won?).....hmmmm

Question is how much load can Kess carry? So far not much is what I see.

I cant see it either.....

Who would you all want out of this group....?

Zero

call me a homer,

you're a homer...

I was pleasantly surprised by some of what Kessler was able to do on the field. ...... he wasn't getting the ball out at all.................something I don't think can be fixed, is that he just can't get out of pressure..............and he looked so slow to me.........He can't get out of danger, and he can't hurt anybody with his legs................... I saw the biggest running lanes in the universe that he NEVER exploited...................he can't avoid sacks and power through arm tackles.

.... did the best he could............ I don't care about the arm strength...... Browns OBVIOUSLY can't bank on this, and must address the position either through the draft, free agency, or BOTH.

Dude....your post basically says I like what I see, then lists a ton of shit....then states we must get someone better.....

Ugh....

He has no pocket awareness.....a limp arm....doesnt see the field well.....doesnt hit the deep ball.....and cant get yards with his feet...

Why do people think he can lead this team????

Mud:

I agree Kessler can't throw.. but he makes up for it by both not being able to run and not having any NFL-level pocket awareness!

Other than that, keep the faith.

You know the old expression.. when you keep doing the same thing that you've been doing, you're sure to win big in 2017!

• 2 weeks later...

Let's face it - when the discussion turns to quarterbacks Browns fans have a very short fuse. We all want so desperately to have that quality quarterback that can go out and win games. The problem is that we have been hoping for that guy to appear in a Browns uniform for so long that we're not willing to wait for said quarterback to develop. I think that Kessler can evolve into that quarterback. He had the highest QB rating of any rookie quarterback last year not named Prescott or Wentz; he had an assortment of poor offensive linemen trying to protect him, and they didn't; and Cory Coleman, a first round talent, was not available as a target due to injury. Based on all that I think that Kessler did OK. He wasn't great, but he shouldn't have been. He was learning the system on the fly, and based on his performance as a first year player I say he showed a lot of promise.

This draft, moreso than any other in recent memory, has no guaranteed starting-caliber quarterbacks. That's not me saying it, it's the myriad of national so-called "experts" that have made that claim. Why use a first round pick on a quarterback that arguably is not any better than what is currently have on the roster? That would be insanity, which is something I'm happy to see the current front office is avoiding.

Roll with Kessler, get him some protection (Zeitler), welcome Gordon back into the fold, sign Pryor, and take advantage of a stacked defensive draft by selecting defensive players with five of the Browns first six picks (draft OJ Howard at 12)...and the Browns will have the tools to begin their evolution into a winning franchise.

We're going to find out soon if RGIII is part of the 2017 team or not.

He is due a $750,000 roster bonus on March 11th.

That ain't much in the scheme of things. I predict that they will give that to him. Hue likes him....what else is there to say?

Interesting tweet...

Marc SesslerVerified account @MarcSesslerNFL

Browns will 'likely add a young QB and a veteran,' per @MikeSilver. Says Jackson doesn't believe his favorite QB will be there at No. 12.

https://twitter.com/MarcSesslerNFL/status/837368109061136384

I was looking thru Silver's tweets for confimation when I found this:

Michael SilverVerified account @MikeSilver Mar 1

Michael Silver Retweeted Joe Thomas

Stop being so good at your job and my job 1f620.png

Michael Silver added,

Joe ThomasVerified account @joethomas73
Looks like the Patriots are trying to create leverage for a trade by getting the word out they "are not expected to trade...Garoppolo" https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/836936509173415936

Nice, bite-sized takes...

One Trubs' detail I had not caught or seen elsewhere:

"But he has a flaw that you have to be careful about. When he throws the ball, he locks his front leg. When you do that, you can’t really drive the ball."

Added this little note which supports my little, ingrained habits rant over in Z's Kizer thread.

"Normally, guys that are locked-front-leg throwers, that doesn’t change through coaching."

"But he has a flaw that you have to be careful about. When he throws the ball, he locks his front leg. When you do that, you can’t really drive the ball."

Added this little note which supports my little, ingrained habits rant over in Z's Kizer thread.

"Normally, guys that are locked-front-leg throwers, that doesn’t change through coaching."

Very interesting. Muscle memory is very hard to change which lends credence to what you were saying previously about golf swings. I think Aaron Rodgers alluded to how important muscle memory following some of his clutch sideline throws he makes with poise when he was asked how he accomplished it so often. I imagine this is also applicable with bad habits perfected over time, which could be a concern for guys needing to be de-programed from a spread offense to more of a pocket passing offense.

Except I have seen no trouble with him "driving the ball". He has quick accurate release and a very strong arm.

I am assuming that when someone doesn't "drive the ball" it means he has little Oomph on his throws. That is just not the case here.

I mean, unless a "locked front leg" results in something that does not affect A. Accuracy and B. Velocity......what does it affect? Touch?

Archived