THE BROWNS BOARD

INDIANS vs Minnesota April 2018 in Puerto Rico regular season game

mjp28

Cleveland Indians-Minnesota Twins will play two-game regular season series in Puerto Rico in 2018

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2017/06/cleveland_indians-minnesota_tw_5.html#incart_river_index

Updated on June 21, 2017 at 6:20 PM Posted on June 21, 2017 at 6:04 PM

Terry Francona on Indians' two-game series in Puerto Rico in 2018

BY PAUL HOYNES, CLEVELAND.COM phoynes@cleveland.com

BALTIMORE - The Indians will play a two-game regular season series against the Twins in Puerto Rico in 2018.

The series will be played at Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan on April 17 and 18. The Twins will be the home team.

The Indians have played exhibition games in Puerto Rico, but never a regular-season game. It will be the first regular-season game they've played outside of the United States and Canada.

"It's going to be a lot of fun," said shortstop Francisco Lindor, a Puerto Rican native. "It's going to be a dream come true and I'm looking forward to doing it."

The Indians-Twins series will be the first regular-season games played in Puerto Rico since the Mets and Miami Marlins played a three-game series at Hiram Bithorn Stadium in 2010.

"I think it's really good," said manager Terry Francona. "When I was with Boston, we opened the season one year in Japan. I know teams have gone to Australia and Mexico. It can be a little difficult getting people ready, but this really shouldn't be that difficult.

"We're going to go somewhere and play anyway. I think it's good for the game."

The Texas Rangers and Toronto Blue Jays opened the 2001 season in Puerto Rico. In 2003 and 2004, the Montreal Expos played a portion of their home schedule in Puerto Rico.........CONTINUED. .......

Interesting. Puerto Rico is on my bucket list of places to visit.

Oh yes there would be interesting points down there in Old San Juan -but- that game might be a hard or expensive deal to get. Still it would be nice to be there in April with the midwesterners from Cleveland and Minnesota.

Amazing now how exclusive sporting events has largely become the privilege of the privileged.

Better try to get your accommodations and tickets NOW, hey you can always resell them later. :)

Archived