THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Personal Conduct Policy

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/i...-conduct-policy

STANDARD OF CONDUCT

While criminal activity is clearly outside the scope of permissible conduct, and persons who engage in criminal activity will be subject to discipline, the standard of conduct for persons employed in the NFL is considerably higher. It is not enough simply to avoid being found guilty of a crime. Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the League is based, and is lawful. Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime. Discipline may be imposed in any of the following circumstances:

Criminal offenses including, but not limited to, those involving:

The use or threat of violence; domestic violence and other forms of partner abuse; theft and other property crimes; sex offenses; obstruction or resisting arrest; disorderly conduct; fraud; racketeering; and money laundering;

Criminal offenses relating to steroids and prohibited substances, or substances of abuse;

Violent or threatening behavior among employees, whether in or outside the workplace;

Possession of a gun or other weapon in any workplace setting, including but not limited to stadiums, team facilities, training camp, locker rooms, team planes,

buses, parking lots, etc., or unlawful possession of a weapon outside of the workplace;

Conduct that imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person; and

Conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players.

--------------------

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/i...-conduct-policy

STANDARD OF CONDUCT

While criminal activity is clearly outside the scope of permissible conduct, and persons who engage in criminal activity will be subject to discipline, the standard of conduct for persons employed in the NFL is considerably higher. It is not enough simply to avoid being found guilty of a crime. Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the League is based, and is lawful. Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime. Discipline may be imposed in any of the following circumstances:

Criminal offenses including, but not limited to, those involving:

The use or threat of violence; domestic violence and other forms of partner abuse; theft and other property crimes; sex offenses; obstruction or resisting arrest; disorderly conduct; fraud; racketeering; and money laundering;

Criminal offenses relating to steroids and prohibited substances, or substances of abuse;

Violent or threatening behavior among employees, whether in or outside the workplace;

Possession of a gun or other weapon in any workplace setting, including but not limited to stadiums, team facilities, training camp, locker rooms, team planes,

buses, parking lots, etc., or unlawful possession of a weapon outside of the workplace;

Conduct that imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person; and

Conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players.

--------------------

Shaun Rogers....."unlawful possession of a weapon outside of the workplace"

Vince Young......"use or threat of violence"

Tom Cable......."Violent or threatening behavior among employees"

Jeff Reed....."disorderly conduct" and on a seperate occasion "obstruction or resisting arrest" ....heavy alcohal use in both cases

Phillip Merling...... "domestic violence"......a pregnant girlfriend none the less

Kevin Ellison....."Criminal offenses relating to steroids and prohibited substances".... possesion of about 100 vicodin pills without a prescription

Ronald Fields......" unlawful possession of a weapon outside of the workplace"....snuck a gun into a night club

Maurice Purify ......"disorderly conduct"...charge stems from late night bar fight

Tony McDaniel ....."domestic violence"

Will Allen....DUI...BAC of .152

Ronnie Brown....DUI....BAC of .158

Rey Maualuga...Hit and run and DUI

Jermaine Phillips......"domestic violence"...choked wife

Braylon Edwards....."misdemeanor assault"

Lance Louis....."misdemeanor assault" and "resisting arrest"

Richard Quinn...."domestic violence" and harassment

Cedric Griffin....DUI.....pleaded guilty

Will Billingsley..... "domestic violence" and "resisting arrest"

* All of these incidents occurred after the begining of last season or this offseason

** Actual arrests were made in each cited incident

*** Results of every case are a conviction or guilty plea, agreement to accept lesser charges, or a few of the newer ones are still pending an investigation or awaiting the court date....As of now NONE have been dropped due to lack of evidence

**** Goodell hasn't suspeneded, punished, investigated or set up any type of meeting with any of these players as of now even under his new, stricter policies.

Shaun Rogers....."unlawful possession of a weapon outside of the workplace"

Vince Young......"use or threat of violence"

Tom Cable......."Violent or threatening behavior among employees"

Jeff Reed....."disorderly conduct" and on a seperate occasion "obstruction or resisting arrest" ....heavy alcohal use in both cases

Phillip Merling...... "domestic violence"......a pregnant girlfriend none the less

Kevin Ellison....."Criminal offenses relating to steroids and prohibited substances".... possesion of about 100 vicodin pills without a prescription

Ronald Fields......" unlawful possession of a weapon outside of the workplace"....snuck a gun into a night club

Maurice Purify ......"disorderly conduct"...charge stems from late night bar fight

Tony McDaniel ....."domestic violence"

Will Allen....DUI...BAC of .152

Ronnie Brown....DUI....BAC of .158

Rey Maualuga...Hit and run and DUI

Jermaine Phillips......"domestic violence"...choked wife

Braylon Edwards....."misdemeanor assault"

Lance Louis....."misdemeanor assault" and "resisting arrest"

Richard Quinn...."domestic violence" and harassment

Cedric Griffin....DUI.....pleaded guilty

Will Billingsley..... "domestic violence" and "resisting arrest"

* All of these incidents occurred after the begining of last season or this offseason

** Actual arrests were made in each cited incident

*** Results of every case are a conviction or guilty plea, agreement to accept lesser charges, or a few of the newer ones are still pending an investigation or awaiting the court date....As of now NONE have been dropped due to lack of evidence

**** Goodell hasn't suspeneded, punished, investigated or set up any type of meeting with any of these players as of now even under his new, stricter policies.

The NFL did investigate the Cable incident.

Roger's legal proceedings are still ongoing, so I expect any suspension or meeting to happen once the legal ramifications are known. Most of us expect at least a 1 game suspension.

Edwards I believe was fined, but since he was traded to the Jets I stopped caring about whether he was fined or suspended. But I seem to remember at least a fine if not a 1 or 2 game suspension.

Vince Young will probably be suspended, but this thing JUST happened, take a chill and see what happens. It took months for Ben to get suspended.

The rest? I don't know, and I don't care.

Secondly, single incidents of violence or poor judgment is not what is at issue here.

It is repetitive behavior patterns that show consistent poor judgment and bad behavior that caused the severe punishment of Ben.

There is no conspiracy sir.

The NFL did investigate the Cable incident.

Roger's legal proceedings are still ongoing, so I expect any suspension or meeting to happen once the legal ramifications are known. Most of us expect at least a 1 game suspension.

Edwards I believe was fined, but since he was traded to the Jets I stopped caring about whether he was fined or suspended. But I seem to remember at least a fine if not a 1 or 2 game suspension.

Vince Young will probably be suspended, but this thing JUST happened, take a chill and see what happens. It took months for Ben to get suspended.

The rest? I don't know, and I don't care.

Secondly, single incidents of violence or poor judgment is not what is at issue here.

It is repetitive behavior patterns that show consistent poor judgment and bad behavior that caused the severe punishment of Ben.

There is no conspiracy sir.

The NFL Personal Conduct Policy lists specific actions which are never acceptable for NFL players, (Most people would agree they aren't acceptable for anyone) even if it's just a 1st time offense or even if you don't even get arrested/convicted.

I never mention Ben and his punishments and never claimed there is a conspiracy of any sort, but now that you have mentioned Ben, I might as well bring up his case. Goodell made this staement to Ben regaurding his actions:

"... there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans."

So if Goodell doesn't suspend or punish other players, does that mean that the behavior of other arrested players are in fact "admirable, responsible and consistent with the values of the league"? When Goodell began suspending players for behaving in a way that he disapproves of, any time he chooses not to suspend or punish a player it is implied that he then approves of the behavior in question.

The fact remains though, no matter how you slice and dice this thing, this is about the NFL Personal Conduct Policy. The very first sentence of the NFL Personal Conduct Policy states "Engaging in violent and/or criminal activity is unacceptable and constitutes conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the National Football League." Far to many players have violated it in the last 9 monthes alone. When Goodell suspended ben, an innocent player who simply exibitied "bad behavior", then anyone who has been arrested or been convicted of a crime must have at the very least also exhibited bad behavior. Anyone who breaks the clearly stated rules of the Personal Conduct Policy must be punished. Period. It's not even up for negotiation.

The NFL Personal Conduct Policy lists specific actions which are never acceptable for NFL players, (Most people would agree they aren't acceptable for anyone) even if it's just a 1st time offense or even if you don't even get arrested/convicted.

I never mention Ben and his punishments and never claimed there is a conspiracy of any sort, but now that you have mentioned Ben, I might as well bring up his case. Goodell made this staement to Ben regaurding his actions:

"... there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans."

So if Goodell doesn't suspend or punish other players, does that mean that the behavior of other arrested players are in fact "admirable, responsible and consistent with the values of the league"? When Goodell began suspending players for behaving in a way that he disapproves of, any time he chooses not to suspend or punish a player it is implied that he then approves of the behavior in question.

The fact remains though, no matter how you slice and dice this thing, this is about the NFL Personal Conduct Policy. The very first sentence of the NFL Personal Conduct Policy states "Engaging in violent and/or criminal activity is unacceptable and constitutes conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the National Football League." Far to many players have violated it in the last 9 monthes alone. When Goodell suspended ben, an innocent player who simply exibitied "bad behavior", then anyone who has been arrested or been convicted of a crime must have at the very least also exhibited bad behavior. Anyone who breaks the clearly stated rules of the Personal Conduct Policy must be punished. Period. It's not even up for negotiation.

If this wasn't about Ben, why the hell did you post it?

Secondly, it has been precedent that players only get severe punishments AFTER repeat offenses or repetitive repulsive behavior.

It has also been precedent that players aren't punished by the NFL until after the legal proceedings have finished.

If this wasn't about Ben, why the hell did you post it?

Secondly, it has been precedent that players only get severe punishments AFTER repeat offenses or repetitive repulsive behavior.

It has also been precedent that players aren't punished by the NFL until after the legal proceedings have finished.

Goodell has always been inconsistant and hypocritical with his punishments for rule breaking. It's been that why since he became Commish and I have criticized Goodell for this for years. (Gipper: this answers your question)

I'm not asking for severe punishments for all the players, just reasonable and consistant punishments will do....Although, unless you consider getting blindsided by a driver who ignored traffic laws and being sued in a civil case (remember, as you say, "It has also been precedent that players aren't punished by the NFL until after the legal proceedings have finished.") and this case is ongoing, then Ben hasn't had any type of bad behavior history.

Jeff Reed's (for example) troubles have already been delt with by the court, why hasn't Goodell done anything about his "pattern of 'bad behavior'", which he has certianly shown. You don't need to be convicted of a crime to get punished. You can get punished for "bad behavior". Reguardless of how Young's case will be settled, he is on tape showing "bad behavior" and breaking specific PCP rules. That is enough to punish Young right there, unless the legal preceedings uncover more than what is already known, Goodell knows everything that needs to be known to punish Young. Same with Rogers (he admitted to having the loaded gun at the airport) and same with most of the other cases.

Well I disagree.. Goodell is 100 times better than Stern or Selig. He actually keeps the league fair, competitive, and in order.. Stern has zero rules and regulations on player behavior and Selig blew the whole steroid thing.. Goodell does a great job and hopefully will continue to do so..

Regardless, you start whining about your favorite stooler and expect sympathy on a Browns Board?

Well I disagree.. Goodell is 100 times better than Stern or Selig. He actually keeps the league fair, competitive, and in order.. Stern has zero rules and regulations on player behavior and Selig blew the whole steroid thing.. Goodell does a great job and hopefully will continue to do so..

Regardless, you start whining about your favorite stooler and expect sympathy on a Browns Board?

I'm supportive of Goodell's efforts to reform behavior throughout the league, he just needs to be more consistant and make it absolutely clear cut about what actions will get you punished and what the punishment will be. This thread wasn't meant to be about any specific player or incidents, but the Ben case was brought up so I used it as an example.

Goodell has always been inconsistant and hypocritical with his punishments for rule breaking. It's been that why since he became Commish and I have criticized Goodell for this for years. (Gipper: this answers your question)

I'm not asking for severe punishments for all the players, just reasonable and consistant punishments will do....Although, unless you consider getting blindsided by a driver who ignored traffic laws and being sued in a civil case (remember, as you say, "It has also been precedent that players aren't punished by the NFL until after the legal proceedings have finished.") and this case is ongoing, then Ben hasn't had any type of bad behavior history.

Jeff Reed's (for example) troubles have already been delt with by the court, why hasn't Goodell done anything about his "pattern of 'bad behavior'", which he has certianly shown. You don't need to be convicted of a crime to get punished. You can get punished for "bad behavior". Reguardless of how Young's case will be settled, he is on tape showing "bad behavior" and breaking specific PCP rules. That is enough to punish Young right there, unless the legal preceedings uncover more than what is already known, Goodell knows everything that needs to be known to punish Young. Same with Rogers (he admitted to having the loaded gun at the airport) and same with most of the other cases.

How do you know Goodell hasn't taken steps to discipline these guys and you just haven't heard about it? Most of this stuff doesn't get all that much coverage because few of them are big names. None were ever going to get the same notoriety as BR, if that is your concern. Did BR get extra attention from the Commish? Perhaps. He gets extra attention for his positive actions, and he is going to get extra attention for his negative actions. Too bad, deal with it. If Goodell comes down hard on the other guys you name, so be it with them as well. The Browns fully expect to be without the services of Sean Rogers for a while. So be it. The difference on some of these is that with many the legal proceedings are not concluded. With BR they ARE concluded, so I guess the commish felt he was free to act on his own.

While the scope of the listed incidents by NFL players/coaches/assistants is merely a mirror of our troubled society..the rate at which they occur is off the charts compared to crime stats for all the other average

joe's and janes of our population......Obviously this Sunday league is full of prima donnas who feel the laws of our land do not apply to them. Remember these are the incidents that are merely REPORTED.. I

LOVE football, both college and pro, but it is troubling that many players are held to diferent standards merely because they excel on the field. The commish needs to realize that he has a real problem.

Prehaps he might consider having more than a day or two of "how to stay out of trouble off the field" classes for his rookie orientation events. Ultimately, he has accountability. It is time for the cover to come

off the gavel

How do you know Goodell hasn't taken steps to discipline these guys and you just haven't heard about it? Most of this stuff doesn't get all that much coverage because few of them are big names. None were ever going to get the same notoriety as BR, if that is your concern. Did BR get extra attention from the Commish? Perhaps. He gets extra attention for his positive actions, and he is going to get extra attention for his negative actions. Too bad, deal with it. If Goodell comes down hard on the other guys you name, so be it with them as well. The Browns fully expect to be without the services of Sean Rogers for a while. So be it. The difference on some of these is that with many the legal proceedings are not concluded. With BR they ARE concluded, so I guess the commish felt he was free to act on his own.

Between NFL Network, NFL.com and other sports media it's also reported when a player is displined. Again I was't the first one to mention Ben and I only used his bad behavior and punishment as example of when Goodell properly punishes under the PCP. As I've always said, I have no complaints of Ben's punishment, my complaints lie within Goodell's inconsistancy.

Maybe everyone on that list wasn't as big of a name as Ben, but there was 4-5 probowlers on that list. But just becuase Ben got more media attention doesn't mean he should get special meetings with Goodell or get punished more harshly. Goodell needs to make a strict PCP and follow it down to every last point. Media attention should not have any bearing.

I understand with Rogers and Young that Goodell will wait for the legal aspect to be dealt with before he steps in. But he has a history of not punishing repeated offenders even after the court system finished i.e. Jeff Reed

There would be no other reason for you to start this post unless you were trying to make some less-than-subtle point about Ben.

Like I keep saying, I'm okay with Ben getting 4-6 games...I've complained about Goodell's inconsistancies for years. Ben does become relavant becuase this is about Goodell's handling of the PCP and Ben has been punished by Goodell under the PCP.

Goodell has set the precident that any behavior he doesn't like (illegal or not; specifically against the rules or not) will result in punishment.

Like I said before:, Goodell made this statement to Ben regaurding his actions:

What is with these jokers?

Why do they have to come onto our boards and bitch about their teams?

First we get this 49ers guy trying to say that the 49ers going to Santa Clara is the same as the Browns going to Baltimore

and now we got a Steeler trying to get sympathy because big bad Goodell isn't fair to little Benny.

Give me a fricken break.

This is a Browns Board. Why do we care if you feel slighted?

First we get this 49ers guy trying to say that the 49ers going to Santa Clara is the same as the Browns going to Baltimore

and now we got a Steeler trying to get sympathy because big bad Goodell isn't fair to little Benny.

Give me a fricken break.

The biggest problem is your reading comprehension.

I have clearly stated specifically to you twice that my beef with Goodell goes way back before Ben had any of his troubles.

That may be, but there is absolutely zero reason for you to even bring this up on our board at all, unless you wanted to whine about Ben some more.

That may be, but there is absolutely zero reason for you to even bring this up on our board at all, unless you wanted to whine about Ben some more.

Considering I agree with the 4-6 game suspension I can't see why I would whine about it. You may feel the issue is irrelavant to you now, but when your star draft pick gets suspended two games becuase his drunken resisting arrest charge got more media attention than Jeff Reed, you and many others will be crying about how Goodell cheats for the Steelers.

Considering I agree with the 4-6 game suspension I can't see why I would whine about it. You may feel the issue is irrelavant to you now, but when your star draft pick gets suspended two games becuase his drunken resisting arrest charge got more media attention than Jeff Reed, you and many others will be crying about how Goodell cheats for the Steelers.

As is our right, consider this is a BROWNS board.

Why did you even start this thread?

Give me a fricken break.

Then dont respond. No Big deal... there are Lots of Steeler fans and Browns Fans who care about their Division rivals. THAT is why we "Jokers" come here. Some of us have even been Invited when we joined by ...Browns fans. What is the big fat deal ? If you are not interested , dont respond. Thats fine and understandable. The Topic will sink to the Bottom of the "Thread sea" and the you , can rest easy. In your sterilized little la la land. Its really up to YOU. Have an interactive interesting forum. Or a same ol same ol bitch session on the latest blunder by the honchos in Berea. The Choice ...is yours.

Like I keep saying, I'm okay with Ben getting 4-6 games...I've complained about Goodell's inconsistancies for years. Ben does become relavant becuase this is about Goodell's handling of the PCP and Ben has been punished by Goodell under the PCP.

Goodell has set the precident that any behavior he doesn't like (illegal or not; specifically against the rules or not) will result in punishment.

Like I said before:, Goodell made this statement to Ben regaurding his actions:

I think the difference is when in his opinion it was simply a mistake v a behavior.

I know there is line there, but anybody who has sat in a position to make those types of decisions knows you have to know there is a line of demarcation and it isn't simply black and white.....there is a little fudge to either side depending on circumstance.

I think the difference is when in his opinion it was simply a mistake v a behavior.

I know there is line there, but anybody who has sat in a position to make those types of decisions knows you have to know there is a line of demarcation and it isn't simply black and white.....there is a little fudge to either side depending on circumstance.

I undertstand what you are saying but the PCP calls for punishment if its a mistake or not. Now, I can see Goodell handed out lighter punishment for one mistake as opposed to repeated behavior. But assulting your pregnant girlfriend or sneaking a gun into a night club isn't just a mistake, even if it only happens once. Then there is good ole Jeff Reed and his drinking episodes. Goodell claims part of why he punished Ben so severely and forced him to go to counseling is becuase he cares about his players...Really? Than how come he never stepped in just to help poor ole Jeff? By giving Reed (and most others) a free pass on his arrests, he set a precident that it was okay.

Between NFL Network, NFL.com and other sports media it's also reported when a player is displined. Again I was't the first one to mention Ben and I only used his bad behavior and punishment as example of when Goodell properly punishes under the PCP. As I've always said, I have no complaints of Ben's punishment, my complaints lie within Goodell's inconsistancy.

Maybe everyone on that list wasn't as big of a name as Ben, but there was 4-5 probowlers on that list. But just becuase Ben got more media attention doesn't mean he should get special meetings with Goodell or get punished more harshly. Goodell needs to make a strict PCP and follow it down to every last point. Media attention should not have any bearing.

I understand with Rogers and Young that Goodell will wait for the legal aspect to be dealt with before he steps in. But he has a history of not punishing repeated offenders even after the court system finished i.e. Jeff Reed

Well, as a jurist, I know that when it comes to punishment for an incident there can be wide latitude and discretion applied, but it must still be within the strictures of the applicable penalty statute. Goodell has no such stricture. His punishments are purely discretionary. The only thing that may constrain him is the Collective Bargaining agreement. Otherwise he is free to be as harsh or as lenient as he chooses and as he sees fit. He is under NO obligation to be consistent. He is under NO obligation to follow a certain formula for meting out discipline. He can meet with whomever he wants as much as he wants or not at all. He can punish before or after the court system is through with a person (though generally he has waited). He is free to be as arbitrary and capricious as he choosed to be. He is free to let a punter slide that no one knows about or has ever heard about, and he is free to come down hard on the Super Bowl Quarterback that everyone knows about. He is free to consider the damage to the reputation of the league that someone's action has caused, or he is free to ignore that. He is free to consider the negative media attention that an incident causes, or not to consider it. He can put down a policy in writing, but since it is HIS policy, he can follow it or ignore it if he chooses. Other than, as I said, what is required by the CBA. He doesn't have to give any thought to what you or I or the man in the moon think of his policies and actions....or he may be very sensitive to that public opinion. That's just the way it is.

Archived