THE BROWNS BOARD

global warming survey

Westside Steve

Just asking, a few questions here to answer as honestly as you can. I'm not looking for insults, bombast hyperbole or anything like that, but as close as you can get to your honest feelings.

For the purposes of this survey 0 means no, nothing, disagree and 10 means yes, a great deal, I agree wholeheartedly. Okay?

1 the climate is changing.

2 mankind has an effect on it.

3 the effects are dangerous to human civilization.

4 the United States government can unilaterally make a difference.

5 individual citizens can make a difference.

6 I am willing to make changes in my lifestyle for the good of humanity.

7 where does climate change rank among my political priorities?

Just curious. Too bad we can't do this anonymously but...

WSS

I didn't want to get too specific. I would assume if you thought possibly may be dangerous in a hundred years the answer would be lower and if the answer was danger is right around the corner the number would be higher.

Same with number 6. A little or a lot is simple enough. Especially since we all do at least something to conserve.

(I don't suppose I can stop anyone from elaborating but just general questions. Elaboration, in my opinion, will lead to bombast.)

WSS

1 the climate is changing. 10, of course.

2 mankind has an effect on it. 1. Actually, more like .37

3 the effects are dangerous to human civilization. Poorly worded, bud, because the mild effects

do not affect diddley much at all. the dramatic effects sure do, but what things are a result of

global warming, and what are a result of simple weather variation?

4 the United States government can unilaterally make a difference. 0

5 individual citizens can make a difference.0

6 I am willing to make changes in my lifestyle for the good of humanity.0

7 where does climate change rank among my political priorities?0

For the purposes of this survey 0 means no, nothing, disagree and 10 means yes, a great deal, I agree wholeheartedly. Okay?

Can you add clarifiers to 3 (timeframe?) and 6 (degree of change?)

Question six *is* the degree to which you would change. 0 being not at all, 2 being new light bulbs, 10 being completely eco-nut living in a compost heap to save energy or something.

Just asking, a few questions here to answer as honestly as you can. I'm not looking for insults, bombast hyperbole or anything like that, but as close as you can get to your honest feelings.

1 the climate is changing. 8

2 mankind has an effect on it. 8

3 the effects are dangerous to human civilization. 5 (if it continues it could become dangerous)

4 the United States government can unilaterally make a difference. 3(other countries ie china need to be part of it)

5 individual citizens can make a difference. 5

6 I am willing to make changes in my lifestyle for the good of humanity. 6

7 where does climate change rank among my political priorities? 5

WSS

1 the climate is changing. Yes. 10

2 mankind has an effect on it. Yes. 5

3 the effects are dangerous to human civilization. Not all that. 3

4 the United States government can unilaterally make a difference. No. 0

5 individual citizens can make a difference. No. 0

6 I am willing to make changes in my lifestyle for the good of humanity. Not at all. 0.

7 where does climate change rank among my political priorities? It doesn't. 0.

WSS

10, the climate is ALWAYS changing

6, but I'm not for sure how much

5, we should be able to counter it somehow

2, the US gov't can't agree on anything unilaterally

2, very unlikely

5, depends on the humanity

1, very low

WSS

Yes

Marginally, perhaps

Not if one believes in Darwin and "Survival of the Fittest", Evolutionary Theory

Not really. India, China and others will more than offset any changes we might make. This is a 'feel good' issue, only.

Microscopically

I recycle, turn off the lights, etc.

Near, if not at, the bottom.

WSS

Also I'm glad woodster has managed to respond, yet avoid answering the question(s). Again

As dependable as the sunrise.

I'm sorry that you couldn't stop thinking about the fact I had not answered. I hope it didn't traumatize you too much. You seem like a fragile fellow, I should have known better.

1 the climate is changing. 8

3 the effects are dangerous to human civilization. To us, 6 if 5 is neutral on this scale. probably doesn't matter too much in our lifetimes. 3 generations away, 8. 5+ generations, 10. The primary cause of concern will be conflict over dwindling sources of freshwater.

4 the United States government can unilaterally make a difference. 6 - we can pull the world in the right direction, but we got to be a superpower by exploiting natural resources. Now other countries are doing the same and the first world expects them to not strive toward that goal? Not going to happen. Plus, there's a whole hell of a lot more second and third world people than there are us.

5 individual citizens can make a difference. Meh. 5. Concerted efforts that make a difference will require the work of individuals, but apathy and the goals I mentioned above will trump this 98% of the time.

6 I am willing to make changes in my lifestyle for the good of humanity. 2. I recycle (which arguably counts for a point or two), but I'm PC master race and I have an 800W power supply to my GTX 560 and Q6600 quad core, a 24" monitor, a PS3, a PS4, a Razer Blade, and a Surface Pro 3.

7 where does climate change rank among my political priorities? 2. Pretty low, unless the candidate is a denier, which suggests that they don't have much value for the scientific method, in which case, 10.

(oops, this was just chillin in Chrome. I thought I posted it awhile ago)

1 the climate is changing. - 10. This should be obvious

2 mankind has an effect on it. - 9.7.

3 the effects are dangerous to human civilization. - 8. If left unaccounted for, at some point, yes. In the next generation or so? Probably not. So I guess 8?

4 the United States government can unilaterally make a difference. - 6. I think the US on its own could make some difference, but obviously it will need to an effort with a lot of countries. I think we may end up in a situation where we need to take that first step though (maybe us a an few close allies, but not all of the major powers).

5 individual citizens can make a difference. - 5. I think most of the change is going to need to be made through governments, in a way that affects major corporations and industries. What someone does in their home won't be major. So, some in-home change + voting power = 5

6 I am willing to make changes in my lifestyle for the good of humanity. - 6. As I become more financially stable, I'd be willing and able to make more changes. Right now, even though I don't think it will be a major change, I would be willing to make some changes. These changes need to just be readily available for individuals to access/

7 where does climate change rank among my political priorities? - 6.

6 I am willing to make changes in my lifestyle for the good of humanity. 2. I recycle (which arguably counts for a point or two), but I'm PC master race and I have an 800W power supply to my GTX 560 and Q6600 quad core, a 24" monitor, a PS3, a PS4, a Razer Blade, and a Surface Pro 3.

7 where does climate change rank among my political priorities? 2. Pretty low, unless the candidate is a denier, which suggests that they don't have much value for the scientific method, in which case, 10.

6. Console peasants forever

7. Good point on the denier thing

1 the climate is changing. 10

3 the effects are dangerous to human civilization.7

4 the United States government can unilaterally make a difference.3

5 individual citizens can make a difference.4

6 I am willing to make changes in my lifestyle for the good of humanity.7

7 where does climate change rank among my political priorities?6

WSS

its all more fodder for the EPA agenda anyways right?

so while We here in America are being accountable and regulating the air land sea -

China goes on and pollutes...

all you green peacenics go line up a protest in Tianamen square and stare down a tank K?

Everything on the planet is under constant change... including the climate you dumb fuck liberals. 10

Yes. Even if it is minute, which it is, you must say 10...the important question is the next one.

No. 0

No, because the goal is not to "save the planet"...the goal is to micromanage everyones lives through a one world governance.0

No. I laugh at those that think they are making a difference...hey, whatever makes them feel good about themselves I guess. 0

Depends. If it's about changing my lifestyle for a hoax then 0.

High, but not the way you think. Politics need to stop perpetrating this hoax. 10

Gosh darn it...I forgot that you said no insults. Too late.

So, ignoring cal because "I'm changing all my numbers to zero" doesn't exactly make a fair representation, we get:

The Browns Board:

1 the climate is changing. - 9.5

2 mankind has an effect on it. - 8
3 the effects are dangerous to human civilization. - 5.5
4 the United States government can unilaterally make a difference. - 3
5 individual citizens can make a difference. - 3
6 I am willing to make changes in my lifestyle for the good of humanity. 4
7 where does climate change rank among my political priorities? - 4.5

Rounded to the nearest 0.5. Seems like everybody agrees it's changing, most agree it's caused by us, is generally a bad thing, yet don't really care. Which, to be fair, is probably an accurate representation of the world.

Archived