THE BROWNS BOARD

Duke University to Sound Muslim Call to Prayer from Chapel Bell Tower

DieHardBrownsFan

Duke Univ to Sound Muslim Call to Prayer From Chapel Bell Tower

011515_ff_duke_640.jpg

Jan 15, 2015 // 8:03am

As seen on Fox and Friends

Duke University raised some eyebrows this week with an announcement that the university will sound the Muslim call to prayer on Fridays.

In an announcement, the university said the call to prayer, or the adhan, will last about three minutes and be "moderately amplified" from the chapel bell tower

"The adhan is the call to prayer that brings Muslims back to their purpose in life, which is to worship God and serves as a reminder to serve our brothers and sisters in humanity," said Imam Adeel Zeb, Muslim chaplain at Duke. “The collective Muslim community is truly grateful and excited about Duke’s intentionality toward religious and cultural diversity.”

“This opportunity represents a larger commitment to religious pluralism that is at the heart of Duke’s mission,” added Christy Lohr Sapp, the chapel’s associate dean for religious life. “It connects the university to national trends in religious accommodation.”

Rev. Franklin Graham voiced criticism of the university on Facebook, calling on Duke donors to withhold support until this policy is scrapped.

Steve Doocy discussed the call to prayer, which is scheduled to start tomorrow, this morning with Dr. Robert Jeffress, a pastor and Fox News contributor.

Jeffress disputed Duke's contention that the decision is in the name of "diversity," saying the university once canceled a pro-life event at its women's center.

"Those who cry loudest for tolerance are often the most intolerant when it comes to viewpoints they disagree with. This is a travesty coming from a school that was originally founded as a Christian school by Methodists and Quakers," said Jeffress.

Doocy asked whether the university will also devote time to "amplify" the Our Father for Christian students.

Jeffress called on Evangelical students at Duke to demand to recite John 3:16 on the loudspeakers.

"I wonder how far that request would go," Jeffress said.

He added that the First Amendment grants people the right to practice whatever religion they want to, but it does not "mandate that all religions get equal time."

Watch the full discussion above.

I will not feel bad at all when the first gunmen or Bomber takes out a group.

White Liberals have allowed terrorism and Islam to pollute their cities and countries.

LONDON is a fucking shit hole infested with rat like sand people.

France is a Mecca for savages.

SWEDEN is awful as well.

Canada allowed this as well.

Liberal policies of multiculturalism = Muslim savages and terrorism.

What's amazing as that no one seems to care. Can you imagine if they put up a nativity scene? The atheists would scream holy murder. But this is okay with the pussies which I figured. Lets recite 4 hail mary's everyday over the loud speaker at Duke then. Should be cool right?

They can do what they want in regards to separation of church and state. A public school would be held to that standard. If Michigan or OSU different, it would objectively be incorrect.

Also, this isn't discriminating against anyone. I feel like, as do many others, that by not serving gays its really just discrimination hiding behind religion.

If a private company wants to be very Christian, or be very Muslim or whatever then I think that's fine. When they begin discriminating against certain groups is where my concern is. It is a fine line though, I'll give you that.

Michigan universities have now put in place prayer rugs in

every classroom, and have sent open invitations to

ISIS for them to enroll for free. I heard it on msnbc or cnn, I think it was....

Michigan universities have now put in place prayer rugs in

every classroom, and have sent open invitations to

ISIS for them to enroll for free. I heard it on msnbc or cnn, I think it was....

I thought you were ignoring me? Why did I just read three threads in a row where you're trying to insult my school in some way? At some point this obnoxious behavior seems more like jealousy... Just sayin...

Archived