THE BROWNS BOARD

On The Record: Make your QB predictions

DKAllDay

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If those are accurate London, Trubs passes the smartness test. MHO the way a guy talks has little correlation with his intelligence. PS, not surprised Dobbs did well with a college major of Aerospace Engineering.

So yeah Tour, we do have a Rocket Scientist in this draft class. :)

Glad he did ok.....25 suits me fine and is 5 ticks above 20, which seems to be the cut off/////\\\

But...how he talks isnt really the issue....myself and MANY others think he comes off as kinda stupid....slow at the board....and, yeah, slow at responding to basic questions.....and, with a QB, you hope for and expect a quick sharp mind.....thats all......

Im thinking you will get your wish too.....feeling more and more like the Browns are working on a way to get him......

It worries me(a lot)....but would be a GREAT story if he came here and ended up being the guy to turn it around......

We can all dream........

I can accept Trubs if they trade up for him, just please no Watson! I don't trust his ability to either stay healthy or avoid being a 20 INT guy on a yearly basis. Trubisky is just a goofball who looks like he was alcohol poisoned in the womb, Watson has some serious concerns for a 1st rounder.

The biggest bust = the one that we draft in round 1.

The best = all of the 'other' QB's.

('cuz that's how we roll)

----------

I just read an article where Banner says that in February, Manziel was not even on their draft board. Then he & Lombatami got fired, Ray Farmer got promoted...and Manziel got drafted.

...I wonder which QB Haslam wants THIS time around?

Glad he did ok.....25 suits me fine and is 5 ticks above 20, which seems to be the cut off/////\\\

But...how he talks isnt really the issue....myself and MANY others think he comes off as kinda stupid....slow at the board....and, yeah, slow at responding to basic questions.....and, with a QB, you hope for and expect a quick sharp mind.....thats all......

Im thinking you will get your wish too.....feeling more and more like the Browns are working on a way to get him......

It worries me(a lot)....but would be a GREAT story if he came here and ended up being the guy to turn it around......

We can all dream........

Too bad they don't do the "Dot" test like I've seen in a few places. Measure of reaction time, just expand it a little. Black 3' X 3' screen, flash red dots X 10 sequentially on it at random spots, see how long it takes someone to touch all of them.

Yes Mud, I realize the speed of the pro game is way faster than college, but to my untrained eye Mitch has a pretty fast release. Now if you're positing he's going to be easily confused by the complexity of pro defenses- that remains to be seen. I posted in another thread @ Gruden's qb camp they broke down Trubs two bad interceptions he tossed in the Stanford Bowl game. Chalk it up to inexperience, as Mitch admitted they used pro style stunting that he had never seen before. So the big question is- can he learn from his mistakes? I hope so, or I'm going to be dead wrong about him. The last qb I was this high on was Tim Couch- and we all know what happened there. I like to think my track record since on QBs is pretty good. Didn't want any of our last three first round qbs, and I would have puked if we had done the Redskins thing to move up and draft RG III. Speaking of Robert, I believe he's still unemployed.

Too bad they don't do the "Dot" test like I've seen in a few places. Measure of reaction time, just expand it a little. Black 3' X 3' screen, flash red dots X 10 sequentially on it at random spots, see how long it takes someone to touch all of them.

Yes Mud, I realize the speed of the pro game is way faster than college, but to my untrained eye Mitch has a pretty fast release. Now if you're positing he's going to be easily confused by the complexity of pro defenses- that remains to be seen. I posted in another thread @ Gruden's qb camp they broke down Trubs two bad interceptions he tossed in the Stanford Bowl game. Chalk it up to inexperience, as Mitch admitted they used pro style stunting that he had never seen before. So the big question is- can he learn from his mistakes? I hope so, or I'm going to be dead wrong about him. The last qb I was this high on was Tim Couch- and we all know what happened there. I like to think my track record since on QBs is pretty good. Didn't want any of our last three first round qbs, and I would have puked if we had done the Redskins thing to move up and draft RG III. Speaking of Robert, I believe he's still unemployed.

Couch was the last one I liked too.....

Listen....if they draft Trubs....I promise 2 things.....

1) I will bitch about it and bemoan a few guys we passed....then....

2) ... I will get excited and get behind him, till he proves he's not worthy.....if I could do it with Johnny, I certainly can do it for Trubs...

I have been anti-Kaaya for a while, but he may have a good NFL career. His QB camp was extremely impressive and he's clearly a quick thinker. If he can play from a dirty pocket the way he plays from a clean one, he'll be a Pro Bowler.

But here's my list, in order from most successful overall career to least successful:

Kizer

Kaaya

Dobbs

Watson

Trubisky

Peterman

Mahomes

I just read an article where Banner says that in February, Manziel was not even on their draft board. Then he & Lombatami got fired, Ray Farmer got promoted...and Manziel got drafted.

...I wonder which QB Haslam wants THIS time around?

I think I'd love to read that, if you have the link... but I'm not sure I would...

Kiser

As long as he's not a Kiser and Teller...

Hey! It's early...

Listen....if they draft Trubs....I promise 2 things.....

1) I will bitch about it and bemoan a few guys we passed....then....

2) ... I will get excited and get behind him, till he proves he's not worthy.....if I could do it with Johnny, I certainly can do it for Trubs...

Sign me up...

How about this:

Make it a required testing procedure for players at the combine to play Whack-A-Mole and test their reaction times.

I have been anti-Kaaya for a while, but he may have a good NFL career. His QB camp was extremely impressive and he's clearly a quick thinker. If he can play from a dirty pocket the way he plays from a clean one, he'll be a Pro Bowler.

But here's my list, in order from most successful overall career to least successful:

Kizer

Kaaya

Dobbs

Watson

Trubisky

Peterman

Mahomes

Boy that Mahomes love (or at least intrigue) was short-lived.

The best is KIzer. Has all of the tools, and will quickly loose the millennial facade.

The bust will be Watson. Good attitude, but the tools are not as sharp. With the right team I guess anything would be possible for either.

For me? Wasn't much love here - I was intrigued by him back in September, but the more I watched...the less I liked.

Reverse for Kaaya, I thought he was awful at the beginning of the season. I still think he's kind of bad but possesses enough transferable skills.

It just goes to show how preseason and early season opinions change.

The best is KIzer. Has all of the tools, and will quickly loose the millennial facade.

The bust will be Watson. Good attitude, but the tools are not as sharp. With the right team I guess anything would be possible for either.

I think both of them will bust. Kizer won't get drafted until Friday.

It just goes to show how preseason and early season opinions change.

Same here... I felt like a bee flitting from one QB flower to another never really settling on one...

The lone exception was Kelly, but that's because of his value in the 5th round... and I even gave him over for Kaaya in my FirstPick by my Board V2.0.

Bottom line: I never saw enough talent in a single QB in this class to stick with him, but saw enough from most every QB to make him "plausible". This is a first for me.

Same here... I felt like a bee flitting from one QB flower to another never really settling on one...

The lone exception was Kelly, but that's because of his value in the 5th round... and I even gave him over for Kaaya in my FirstPick by my Board V2.0.

Bottom line: I never saw enough talent in a single QB in this class to stick with him, but saw enough from most every QB to make him "plausible". This is a first for me.

I'm in almost the same boat, except with Kizer.

going by the QBs that visited the Browns:

Trubisky, Watson, Kizer, Mahomes, Webb, Liufau:

neither one makes me want to spend a first-round pick when the Browns have too many other glaring needs. I know, QB is also a glaring need but I am not seeing 1st round, can't-miss talent at the QB position like there are with other positions, particularly on defense.

The Browns just aren't good enough a team to be able to plunk in a rookie QB and have success. Kessler will start this season, Osweiler will be #2. Let other teams reach for Trubisky and Watson in the first. If Kizer falls to the second round I would draft him there, but I wouldn't be upset if the Browns wait until even later in the draft to get Webb. I hope they don't go with Mahomes but there's no telling with Hue. I don't know anything about Liufau. I would not spend any picks to move back up to the first round to draft Kizer, even though there's been speculation he may go in the first. Again, the rationale is I don't see any of this year's QBs making an impact right away, I'd rather stick with Kessler and bulk up the rest of the team to make it more QB-friendly (i.e., not getting pummelled every play, not having a defense give up 30 points a game, etc.). Of course, this are only my observations and the Browns rarely do what I think they will do.

Now finally, my prediction: the Browns trade away some picks to move back into the first and grab Kizer at #22.

I would not spend any picks to move back up to the first round to draft Kizer, even though there's been speculation he may go in the first.

Agree with this... I think the whole "5th year option" thing is overblown. If you don't know what you have in a QB by the end of year three, then he's not the guy.

And if he is "the guy", then you lock him up with a multi-year extension paying a premium to the going rate, if you have to...

neither one makes me want to spend a first-round pick when the Browns have too many other glaring needs. I know, QB is also a glaring need but I am not seeing 1st round, can't-miss talent at the QB position like there are with other positions, particularly on defense.

QB is THE most glaring need. As one article said: 10 out of 10. The next being OLB, then DBs.

OL would have likely been 9 or 10 out of 10, but then the Browns addressed that area significantly in the FA period.

Now, its QB and defense.

QB is THE most glaring need. As one article said: 10 out of 10. The next being OLB, then DBs.

OL would have likely been 9 or 10 out of 10, but then the Browns addressed that area significantly in the FA period.

Now, its QB and defense.

Hopefully the Browns don't let the glare of the QB need blind them into reaching for a QB when there are so many other picks that could step in and make the team better right away. Kessler did better than expected last season, I don't see any of this year's QBs beating him out. I do see someone like Garrett making an immediate impact on improving the lackluster pass rush from last year. Can't pass on Garrett to draft someone with 13 college starts, Trubisky could be good, but he's too much of an unknown and what is known of him is not impressive enough for #1 overall. Who knows what the Browns will do tomorrow night. Only one more day of waiting...

Hopefully the Browns don't let the glare of the QB need blind them into reaching for a QB when there are so many other picks that could step in and make the team better right away\

Except....hardly ANYONE BUT a QB can do that. No DL, no OL, no DB can do that only a QB. To be better right away this team would need 4-5 good defensive players.

. Kessler did better than expected last season, I don't see any of this year's QBs beating him out. I do see someone like Garrett making an immediate impact on improving the lackluster pass rush from last year.

Getting a bit of a better pass rush however will not get this team any more wins. Not really. It means they may "win" a few more plays....but not a few more games. Sure, it don't hurt, but it is by no means a measure of success in the way we would want.

Can't pass on Garrett to draft someone with 13 college starts, Trubisky could be good, but he's too much of an unknown and what is known of him is not impressive enough for #1 overall. Who knows what the Browns will do tomorrow night. Only one more day of waiting...

You look for the unknown.....and ignore the "knowns": Marino like quick release. Quick decision making, accuracy, great on the move, soft touch when needed.

We KNOW these things.

What don't we know? His favorite color, his favorite food, his favorite band, his favorite book.

Archived