THE BROWNS BOARD

Rutherford B. Hayes Week

The Gipper

Yes, that is Rutherford B. Hayes in my avatar, and this is Rutherford B. Hayes week.

Rutherford B. Hayes is somewhat special as he attended college at the same school as my son: Kenyon. He is a native of Delaware, Ohio but has a home in Fremont area you can visit....even though I haven't.

One of our fairly obscure Presidents. I mean, I guess things were just going along fine in his administration. Peaceful and prosperous. Lets face it, we consider those presidents great who have led us in wars or in fucked up times. So, RBH was boring and obscure. That could be good.

According to our research engine:
Domestic accomplishments of President Hayes:

• Began dismantling the Reconstruction regime imposed on the defeated Southern states as a condition of the back-room dealings that led to his election
  • Ordered federal troops to quell the Great Railroad Strike of 1877
  • Implemented modest civil service reforms by favoring competence over party loyalty in government appointments
  • Vetoed the Bland-Allison Act in favor of maintaining the gold standard as the key to economic recovery

Foreign policy accomplishments of President Hayes:
  • Negotiated a trade agreement with the Chinese that would regulate immigration to the US
  • Agreed with Mexico to jointly pursue bandits crossing between the nations and to strengthen border security
  • Led reforms of American Indian policy that included assimilation into white culture, educational training, and dividing Indian land into individual allotments

• 3 years later...
15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

By the way Hayes is the only president besides Obama to have a law degree from Harvard.

Gip you piqued my curiosity on this subject, more presidents had NO degrees than were lawyers......how about that! True most were way back in time.

Did not graduate from collegeEdit

UndergraduateEdit

Some presidents attended more than one institution. George Washington never attended college, though The College of William & Mary did issue him a surveyor's certificate.[2] Only one president attended a foreign college at the undergraduate level: John Quincy Adams at Leiden University (John F. Kennedy intended to study at the London School of Economics, but failed to attend as he fell ill before classes began.)

Three presidents have attended the United States Service academies: Ulysses S. Grant and Dwight D. Eisenhower graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point, while Jimmy Carter graduated from the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland. No presidents have graduated from the much newer U.S. Air Force Academy. Eisenhower also graduated from the Army Command and General Staff College, Army Industrial College and Army War College. These were not degree granting institutions when Eisenhower attended, but were part of his professional education as a career soldier.

A complete list of each president and his undergraduate educational history appears below.

M.B.A. (Master of Business Administration)Edit

School Location President(s)
Harvard Business School Boston, Massachusetts

J.D. or equivalentEdit

Columbia Law School New York, New York
Duke University Law School Durham, North Carolina
Yale Law School New Haven, Connecticut
Harvard Law School Cambridge, Massachusetts

Note: Nixon and Ford were awarded LL.B. degrees.[3][4] When U.S. law schools began to use the J.D. as the professional law degree in the 1960s, previous graduates had the choice of converting their LL.B. degrees to a J.D.[5] Duke University Law School made the change in 1968,[6] and Yale Law School in 1971.[7] Theodore Roosevelt[8] and Franklin D. Roosevelt[9] were awarded posthumous J.D. degrees in 2008.[10]

Ph.D.Edit

Johns Hopkins University Baltimore, Maryland

On 7/21/2019 at 6:58 PM, The Gipper said:

I have all kinds of presidential trivia if you want it

Did you know that Lincoln never asked Congress to declare war on the Confederacy? He treated it as a rebellion against the Union by wayward states and did not want them to be recognized as an actual government by declaring war on them.

9 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Did you know that Lincoln never asked Congress to declare war on the Confederacy? He treated it as a rebellion against the Union by wayward states and did not want them to be recognized as an actual government by declaring war on them.

Well.....the Confederacy de facto declared war on the United States by attacking Fort Sumter, so I guess whatever the USA did in response to that was just in defense of itself.

And I think Lincoln was right.....the Confederacy did not deserve recognition as an actual government......they were a faction that rebelled against the United States.  They made war against the United States.....and no matter what these troglodytes who go around flying that flag say....THAT is the fact>   That "entity" in essence fought a war against these United States of America.   They want to talk about heritage?  THAT is their heritage They were enemies at war with the USA,   just as Vietnam, N. Korea/China,   Japan/Germany/Italy,   Germany/Austo-Hungary/the Ottoman Empire;  and Spain were in subsequent conflicts.  They were enemies of the USA  fighting to defend a "heritage" the main tenets of which were slavery, oppression,

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Well.....the Confederacy de facto declared war on the United Statesd  They want to talk about heritage?  THAT is their heritage They were enemies at war with the USA............ They were enemies of the USA  fighting to defend a "heritage" the main tenets of which were slavery, oppression,

Totally agree and funny I have a copy of my great, great grandfather's speech in defense of that rebellion even though he hailed from Maine to begin with. I also have a copy defending his choice to enlist in the 21st Texas Cavalry at age 50. He was wrong on both counts.

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Totally agree and funny I have a copy of my great, great grandfather's speech in defense of that rebellion even though he hailed from Maine to begin with. I also have a copy defending his choice to enlist in the 21st Texas Cavalry at age 50. He was wrong on both counts.

OK....what  was his reasoning?

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

OK....what  was his reasoning?

Primarily States Rights. I'll read it again and get back with you. The two together are about 10 pages long single spaced typing by my grandmother who transcribed it from his handwritten work. He was not a big slave owner, but it's been years since I read it and I don't recall offhand if that was a part of his defense.

Oh and speaking about Presidents and their educations:

In 1964, Trump began his higher education at Fordham University. After two years, he transferred to the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, because it offered one of the few real-estate studies departments in United States academia at the time. Trump was inspired by his father and Manhattan developer William Zeckendorf, vowing to be "even bigger and better". While at Wharton, he worked at the family business, Elizabeth Trump & Son, and graduated in May 1968 with a Bachelor of Science in economics.

Trump did not serve in the military during the Vietnam War. While in college from 1964 to 1968, he obtained four student deferments. In 1966, he was deemed fit for service based upon a military medical examination, and in 1968 was briefly classified as eligible to serve by a local draft board. In September of that year, he was given a medical deferment, which he later attributed to heel spurs. In 1969, he received a high number in the draft lottery, which gave him a low probability to be called to military service.

So, there is no doubt that Donald Trump received a good education, including Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.

6 hours ago, mjp28 said:

So, there is no doubt that Donald Trump received a good education, including Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.

He missed the class on the Continental Army which he said took Ft. McHenry (wrong war) and the airports (wrong century Xs 2).😁

• Haha 1