THE BROWNS BOARD

I'm being entertained

Frenchie

First, let me congratulate Clevelanders on an NBA title and ALCS championship. As a Boston resident, I'm ready to hand over the "City of Champions" crown.

In this rebuilding season, I had to make a decision to buy Sunday Ticket and watch my beloved Browns rather than watch my home team for free. I'll admit, it was a difficult decision as I knew the team would be amongst the leagues worst with regards to winning games. After game 1 vs Philly, I thought I would regret the decision and curse every payment - but I couldn't be more wrong.

I actually want the team to lose and get another year of high draft selections. We're not making the playoffs so who cares how many games we lose. But the games have been super entertaining. The new players including draft choices and Pryor are making a case for a hard playing, never say die, team. This is the best coaching staff we've had and I think the future is getting brighter. I really like our Defensive front 7 and our Offensive playmakers. I'm starting to see something that has potential with coaching, experience and additional talent from future drafts, especially 2017.

Hang in there my friends!

I think the coaching staff is also learning with regards to game management, but that's fine for now since, as you say, we're not going to be winning many games this season. As long as, when it's time to go get it they actually don't make the mistakes.

But overall I've got to agree. This team is playing hard, until the final whistle goes and they can't score any more points. It would have been easy for teams in previous years to look at the score, down 15 in the fourth quarter, and kinda phone it in, but these guys believed and actually almost pulled it off, if it weren't for some rookie issues. BTW, Coleman or Pryor makes that 2-PC IMO.

Don't get me wrong, we're not a year away from the superbowl, but we *are* one draft and either one free agency or another draft (ie one or two years) away from being playoff contenders. We're in need of about 6-8 new starters (mostly on D), and with good player acquisition, that's not very far away. We have four (roughly) top-40 picks this year to start with, for example.

And what would be the issue there? We're not *one* player away from being a top team, we're many, so picking up an extra couple of top-40 picks would be quite beneficial.

Supposing someone (Chicago?) offers us say, #8 this year, plus #40, plus their first next year and some other stuff because they love a QB, why not?

And that is where we disagree. I think we are a couple of really great defensive pass rushers away from having a defense that will give us many more offensive opportunities a game. Good playoff teams all seem to have that in common. Less time to throw on us makes our defensive backfield ions better. There are enough good CB's and S's that we can get all the D players this team needs in those 4 picks (if we leave it the fuck alone).

PS-do you think Denver would have done anything last year without Miller and Ware living in other people's back yards?

Define 'do anything'? Do you think they would have won the superbowl without Talib and Harris at CB? We don't really even have one solid pass rusher capable of generating consistent pressure. We have one DB that's playoff worthy in Joe Haden. We hope Shelton continues his improvement (bonus points for Horton?) and we hope Nassib continues to look like a solid player, but then we're still short on the DL. So that's six players there. We're *ok* at ILB but could use an upgrade.

That's if we completely ignore our O - which is clearly in need of some upgraded OL play and another TE.

Injuries aside, the O just needs to upgrade the o-line and maybe add one more WR (unless one of our young players turn into one). On the D, pass rush and secondary are needed upgrades. QB is an obvious first round selection but Cody is showing us something with his skills. So there is lots to do and plenty to improve - including play calling and time management. But, again, look at the effort out there. The well executed plays. Red Zone effecieny, running game, and just the effort and desire to win. It's refreshing and entertaining (as I said). Let's hope it's the start of a continual improvement plan that takes us to the playoffs in the coming years.

You know who I feel bad for? Not the Browns. How about the Jets, Panthers, Bears, 49ers. All are 1-5 and not in a massive rebuild. I'll soon be adding the Dolphins, Chargers, and Colts to that list. And if the Browns beat the Bengals ...

I really think TE is an under the radar need for us. Behind big play Gar, there's a whole lot of nothing going on, either in blocking or receiving terms. Maybe Hamlett surprises everyone, sure, but it's unlikely. Besides, Barnidge isn't exactly young. Granted, it's not a glaring hole like edge rusher, DB or OL, but it's up there in terms of secondary concerns.

You know who I feel bad for? Not the Browns. How about the Jets, Panthers, Bears, 49ers. All are 1-5 and not in a massive rebuild. I'll soon be adding the Dolphins, Chargers, and Colts to that list. And if the Browns beat the Bengals ...

Why would you feel bad for them? (some of those teams may in fact be in a massive rebuild....but would just not admit it...as the Browns sort of have done)

We have one DB that's playoff worthy in Joe Haden.

We're *ok* at ILB but could use an upgrade.

Haden used to be playoff worthy.. not any more.

ILB who consistently FAIL at runstop [yes, they do, go watch the tape] are not OK - over at PFF nearly every game Davis and Kirksey are below 50.

Either Elflein [the C] or McMillan [iLB] should be our second pick in rd1.

And that is where we disagree. I think we are a couple of really great defensive pass rushers away from having a defense that will give us many more offensive opportunities a game. Good playoff teams all seem to have that in common. Less time to throw on us makes our defensive backfield ions better. There are enough good CB's and S's that we can get all the D players this team needs in those 4 picks (if we leave it the fuck alone).

PS-do you think Denver would have done anything last year without Miller and Ware living in other people's back yards?

I agree. I think a couple of pass rushers would've changed the outcome of at least a couple of games so far this year, despite everything else that's happened injury wise and the kicker gacking a FG at the end of the Miami game.

While I don't agree with the "I actually want the team to lose and get another year of high draft selections" - I completely agree that the games have been entertaining (for the most part). I enjoy watching the kids play and get better, and can only hope that they will be the core of a good Browns team for years to come.

Haden used to be playoff worthy.. not any more.

ILB who consistently FAIL at runstop [yes, they do, go watch the tape] are not OK - over at PFF nearly every game Davis and Kirksey are below 50.

Either Elflein [the C] or McMillan [iLB] should be our second pick in rd1.

McMillan is very overrated. A middle linebacker in a 4-3 against a power run team like Wisconsin should have at least double digit tackles especially when he is as highly regarded as raekwon. Even when he meets a running back in the hole he never stones them. They drive him, back for another 2 yards generally.

I'm not real sure of all these opinions. The only thing I do know is that LOSING SUCKS!!!

Perpetual losing really sucks the life out of an organization.

.....now the Cavaliers and Indians have found their way out, it can happen, NFL might be the toughest turnaround to do.

Losing is never fun, but for me it is losing with no hope/signs of improving that "sucks".

Yep. Do you think browns fans or bears fans are more depressed about this season, for example? Bears have actually won a game, but have yet to reach rock bottom I think. They don't have *much* to build around, even assuming they keep Alshon Jeffrey.

Timing is everything:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/opinion-browns-one-most-fun-011046755.html

Opinion: The Browns are one of the Most Fun NFL Teams to Watch

If you’re a Browns fan, you’re used to losing. Long term Browns fans lost their beloved team to Baltimore, more recent Browns fans are just used to losing almost every game every season. Despite a horrendous record and the remarkable ability to perennially blow almost every lead they’ve ever had, this season the Cleveland Browns are still one of the most fun teams in all of football to cheer for.

It starts with a defense that always seems to play just well enough to give the Browns a chance to win in the fourth quarter, leaving it to the offense to drive down the field to tie or win the game. Now logically you’re probably thinking, “Okay yes but the Browns have never actually done that.” and that’s a great point, but being fun to watch isn’t just about winning football games. It’s about being down or tied late in games and making all sixty minutes of the football game engaging to watch. In the Browns case, this is caused by blowing a lead or turnovers, but it’s still fun football on both sides of the ball.
Cody Kessler continues to step up in his rookie season and play surprisingly well, making the Browns even more fun to watch. How many teams have a third string quarterback that can move the offense better than the first string quarterback? In the Titans game Kessler kept getting nailed after delivering the pass, but he stood in the pocket and threw it anyways, despite having almost no chance to win the game and playing for a team in the midst of a season that is going nowhere.
Is there a better backup quarterback than Josh McCown? If you’re thinking, “Yes, his name is Dak Prescott” you’re right, but McCown is such a great quarterback to root for. His statement about toughness and playing through injury was such a rich testament to his character and shows the kind of intensity he brings to the table. For those who don’t remember what he said:
“It think it is just not wanting to not be out there with your guys. I have a dad and an older brother who get up and go to work and sometimes they don’t feel great and they go. They go and they grind. I have two little boys that are playing football now. They get hit and they get banged up, and I am trying to teach them what toughness means. For me, it is those things and just knowing the window for me right now and understanding that I don’t want to miss snaps. I don’t want to be out there without my guys. Unless it is going to fall off, let’s try to make it work and make it go. That is my mentality.”
That’s a remarkable level of grit and dedication for backup quarterback. There are starting quarterbacks in the NFL who don’t display that kind of emotional investment (looking at you Jay Cutler). McCown may not be the best, but he plays hard and is fun to cheer for, and in that way he is a perfect representation of this Browns team.
Then there’s Terrelle Pryor, who’s playing his heart out every single game and somehow managing to be one of the most exciting players in all of football week in and week out. His competitive spirit and passion on the sidelines and in the locker room seems infectious, and the Browns are playing hard every minute of every game partly due to his leadership. Corey Coleman was even playing well before he broke his hand in practice.
The Browns are the scrappy underdog you’d see in a poorly executed sports movie, they just haven’t had that moment where the music swells and they do something absolutely ridiculous to win the football game in the last minute. They’re fun and easy to cheer for, and this team especially keeps things positive in spite of all the losses and injuries they’re facing. The youth of the team helps as well, because despite losses you come out knowing the team is learning and growing; even if it is a 33-13 loss to the Patriots and you spend the next hour of your life listening to Baby Come Back on repeat and gently stroking a picture of Bill Belichick.
So no, the Browns are not “good”. They haven’t been “good” for years, but somethings different about the team this year. Besides, isn’t the real winner the team that has the most fun? Multiple Patriots Super Bowl victories would say otherwise, but I’m rejecting your reality and substituting my own: Go Browns.

I would never pay for the Sunday ticket. If you have the internet and have a little bit of smarts you can stream games, Vipbox.nu or stream 2 watch or hell just google Redit Nfl streams and there you have it. Just close out the adds and NOW you can even watch live games on youtube if you know where to look. It's a brand new world friends. Oh and Fuck Pittsburgh

I would never pay for the Sunday ticket. If you have the internet and have a little bit of smarts you can stream games, Vipbox.nu or stream 2 watch or hell just google Redit Nfl streams and there you have it. Just close out the adds and NOW you can even watch live games on youtube if you know where to look. It's a brand new world friends. Oh and Fuck Pittsburgh

Yep, I have a Firestick and it's great.

Injuries aside, the O just needs to upgrade the o-line and maybe add one more WR (unless one of our young players turn into one). On the D, pass rush and secondary are needed upgrades. QB is an obvious first round selection but Cody is showing us something with his skills

Ok....so, next year we need to draft WR .....OL.....and Pass rushers? first.....plus a QB at the top.....??????

Yet...last year our first 7 picks were 2 WR, 1 OL, 3 pass rushers and a QB....?

NICE!

so....we needed a WR and drafted 4....we needed a couple OL and drafted a couple.......we needed a QB and drafted 1 and signed 1......we needed OLB/edge rushers and drafted 3 and signed 3(or more).....

And these are all still considered our primary need positions?......no opinion, just asking......cause my gears are grinding right now...

DING, DING, DING!...We have a WINNER!

Well stated.

Mike

Ok....so, next year we need to draft WR .....OL.....and Pass rushers? first.....plus a QB at the top.....??????

NICE!

so....we needed a WR and drafted 4....we needed a couple OL and drafted a couple.......we needed a QB and drafted 1 and signed 1......we needed OLB/edge rushers and drafted 3 and signed 3(or more).....

And these are all still considered our primary need positions?......no opinion, just asking......cause my gears are grinding right now...

Right now MHO is the #1 need is a stud pass rusher. (Ogbah has been invisible, and Nassib has been erratic) A decent CB would help as Haden can't seem to stay healthy. OL? I hope Reiter comes back 100% healthy, because Erving is a disaster. We do need some quality depth there. Will we ever see Shon Coleman? We have to start thinking about a replacement for JT down the road- he can't play at this level forever. I wouldn't be upset if we use the first 4 picks on D, as safety is pretty weak too. The wild card is if Hue and the Browns see enough of Kessler to roll with him long term. In that scenario, it's the stud pass rusher. If not QB at the top will happen.

Right now MHO is the #1 need is a stud pass rusher. (Ogbah has been invisible, and Nassib has been erratic) A decent CB would help as Haden can't seem to stay healthy. OL? I hope Reiter comes back 100% healthy, because Erving is a disaster. We do need some quality depth there. Will we ever see Shon Coleman? We have to start thinking about a replacement for JT down the road- he can't play at this level forever. I wouldn't be upset if we use the first 4 picks on D, as safety is pretty weak too. The wild card is if Hue and the Browns see enough of Kessler to roll with him long term. In that scenario, it's the stud pass rusher. If not QB at the top will happen.

I think Nassib and Ogbah will be ok.. But. I'll concur everywhere else..

NICE!

I can't argue with your statement. Perhaps some of the players already on the team at QB, Pass Rush, and OL will develop but otherwise/presently - it's a glaring need on Sunday's - don't you think?

NICE!

Those 10 players we drafted though - not really all top prospects, were they? So it's natural that not all have developed in to immediate stars in the NFL. Given time, some more might, other probably never will.

Archived