THE BROWNS BOARD

Cheapshot blindside helmet to helmet has Poyer still in hospital

calfoxwc

with lacerated kidney. He's out for the year...surely.

I hope andrews gets suspended. Fines don't stop this violence crap, it's

a violent game, but there has to be limits to what players can do...

that wasn't a block, it was unnecessary.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/10/jordan_poyer_lacerated_kidney.html

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By today's rules the block was illegal, but...

It was not "helmet to helmet", it was left shoulder to sternum. The endzone angle reply clearly showed this. At most the blocker's helmet glances the underside of Poyer's facemask. It was a classic, Madden "decleater"... a "football play".... or at least it used to be.

As for "unnecessary"... see first picture, "Setup"

- Poyer had the angle on the returner;

- Alexander was running (not full out) just downfield of Poyer giving the Titan no side angle on Poyer;

- Alexander was knocked down by a shoulder to shoulder block by the other Titan who had that angle.

Second pic, "Impact", is the money shot. You can see Poyer's lowest facebar above the Titan's blurred helmet.

post-2853-0-85126200-1476816165_thumb.jpg post-2853-0-31077000-1476816180_thumb.jpg

I understand that the rule was put in to reduce injuries. But I thought primarily, as you intimated, to eliminate those blocks that were away from the play that were clearly unnecessary. Blocks like some of those our "old friend", Heinz Ward, was known for as well as a few DLs who laid out QBs after INTs. But in this case?

I really want the league to explain what other option(s) they saw for the blocker. I see no other angle available and any reduced speed fails to get the blocker in position.

If this block was illegal, then of all the pussification rules in today's NFL this one now officially irks me the most. Punt return blockers live for this set up. Coverage players were always taught to watch out for the "picket fence". That was football.

Here's it put simply for me-if the NFL is actually serious about safety of the players, this play should be extremely focused on from a rules/fine standpoint. Anyone who played special teams at any level past pee wee (me included) has certainly taken a shot like this. ill intent or not, that is devastating not only from an "ouch" standpoint but from a safety standpoint as well.

Before you guys go all crazy on me, I'm not saying it was a cheap hit or I even agree with what I wrote. But, matter of factly speaking that play is dangerous as shit in terms of football actions.

Figures you would say that Ghoolie, you are not even a Browns fan always bitching about this that or whatever, You don't have to drink the kool aid but you could show some support for crying out loud,

He's just here for the attention and the reactions. If you ignore it...he'll go away.

Thanks for the advice. I really have not been on here as much as I used to (no time) But I do remember a few years back and he was not here it was so nice. I remember a few of them went to another message board and IMO it was nice to see them go. I wont mention no names but..................

bs, Tiam. Watch it in slow motion, he led with his helmet into Poyer's facemask.

The fact that he also hit him with his shoulder doesn't negate the helmet to helmet hit.

The shoulder block is part of the game, but the blindside was completely unnecessary.

It is illegal. The unnecessary part makes it a cheapshot, with the helmet to helmet contact.

https://cdn-e1.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/x9wa.mp4?token=1478044915_293c154a7f4a3b7ce1553f31f66e61da5a82cd3f

Hard for a "real" Jordan Poyer fan to say this but, the block was clean. The head contact came 2nd. Created by the shoulder pad to chest was first. It's a football play made 1st with a pad below the head. What really bothers me since the hit is the same his teammates talk about. Jordan is 25, drafted by Eagles in 7th round from Oregon St.After some stupid ass scout at combine wants to know "What do you think of interracial relationships"(WTF,it's football)Jordan answers "I am married into one"(Google her up)... Jordan came on board with us as a UDFA & has worked his ass off to stick. This was his contract season(now ended) with a 675K contract. Jordan may still fit our FO criteria but....to be continued ( the whole thing just sucks for a great person)

they were penalized 15 yards. That means it was not a legal hit.

Poyer has been released from the hospital, and is upset that andrews

was bragging on his hit, and put the video up on twitter.

Not an accident, unnecessary, illegal. was penalized.

Jordan Poyer suffers lacerated kidney in Cleveland Browns loss, will ...
www.oregonlive.com/nfl/.../jordan_poyer_suffers_lacer...
OregonLive.com
2 days ago - Andrews was flagged and penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct on the blindside hit. The hit left Poyer bent over on the grass for a few minutes before he was able to walk to the Browns sideline. ... Regional NFL Teams.
Antonio Andrews Posts Video Of Big Hit That Sent Jordan Poyer To ...
brobible.com/sports/article/titans-antonio-andrews-hit-jordan-poyer/
6 hours ago - The Most Devastating NFL Fantasy Injuries This Season ... Man,Andrews is a savage for posting a video of that hit while Poyer was still in the ...

It looks like on the replay not only was that an illegal hit on Poyer but also the block in the back and knocking over the other Browns' player running beside him.

"Excuse me good man, may I block you?"

Again, to repeat myself here it's not like I don't get this sentiment and even agree with this by in large. All I'm saying is that exact play is, IMO anyway, the most dangerous play in football. If the NFL is really practicing what they preach in terms of player safety, this is the type of thing that needs to be reviewed further.

Again, to repeat myself here it's not like I don't get this sentiment and even agree with this by in large. All I'm saying is that exact play is, IMO anyway, the most dangerous play in football. If the NFL is really practicing what they preach in terms of player safety, this is the type of thing that needs to be reviewed further.

Yep. Nobody wants to see no-contact football, but you definitely don't want to see the types on injury that can occur with much greater frequency on this type of play. Freak injuries happen all the time, but on a "decleater" hit like this, it's kinda predictable that there could well be injury. It's not like two guys going at each other, it's an out of nowhere type of hit, from the point of view of the blind-sided player.

Bottom line, it's the type of hit the NFL will probably be looking to eliminate.

On a related note, I was reading the other day about how the NFL was hoping to reduce the number of kick returns by moving the touch-back to 25 yard line, but it's actually having the opposite effect - teams are kicking it to the 5 yard line, and hoping they get there to cover before it goes in the end zone, or can make a play before the 25. Don't be shocked to see it moved back to the 20 next year.

I thought the hit was a good football play, yes sad that poyer got injured, however its not flag football injuries happened. When I played football I loved special teams because of the opportunity to clean some peoples clocks.

bs, Tiam. Watch it in slow motion, he led with his helmet into Poyer's facemask.

The fact that he also hit him with his shoulder doesn't negate the helmet to helmet hit.

The shoulder block is part of the game, but the blindside was completely unnecessary.

It is illegal. The unnecessary part makes it a cheapshot, with the helmet to helmet contact.

https://cdn-e1.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/x9wa.mp4?token=1478044915_293c154a7f4a3b7ce1553f31f66e61da5a82cd3f

And this is my question....seeing the reviews, yes, he hit him up high in the head and shoulders.

Then how is it that it is a lacerated kidney that puts him on IR? The kidneys are a bit of a way away from the head and shoulders?

Curiouser and curiouser.

I thought the hit was a good football play, yes sad that poyer got injured, however its not flag football injuries happened. When I played football I loved special teams because of the opportunity to clean some peoples clocks.

That's fun to do until the favor gets returned. I can safely say in all the days playing football I never hurt more when I got my clock cleaned by a hit I never saw coming. I literally thought I might be dying and frankly there was nothing I could have done differently other than not going for the tackle on the returner. That's not a joke either, it was genuinely terrifying for about 5 minutes

Agreed in this day of concussion awareness I often wonder how many I have received playing football 25 years ago. I once went to the wrong sideline and sat on the bench after one of those hits you are referring to. (yet back in the game a couple plays later)

Agreed in this day of concussion awareness I often wonder how many I have received playing football 25 years ago. I once went to the wrong sideline and sat on the bench after one of those hits you are referring to. (yet back in the game a couple plays later)

Indeed. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was so fortunate to have a coaching group that was "ahead of the times" on this stuff. We actually had a doctor on the sidelines who was the father of one of the guys on the team. I think that really made a difference in not sending guys out there who obviously weren't in good shape. Another factor was that our team was awful and it wasn't like having the good players out there meant winning or losing the state championship. I definitely after that hit had a concussion along with a slightly dislocated jaw. Thank God the coaches didn't let me go back in (in fact took my helmet away).

Anyway, moral of the story is even at that level can attest to how lethal that hit can be. That's part of the game, but if safety really is the priority it's time to seriously review the process.

Football players have been told since the day they started playing, that they always need to "have their head on a swivel" - especially during a change of possession, as well as large changes of direction.

Yes, it was a violent, brutal hit, and I feel really bad for Jordan as I don't want to see any player get hurt, but he needs to take some of the responsibility for the hit, and had he of been more aware, he would've seen it coming and been able to protect himself.

Was it a foul in today's football? Yea I believe it was and I think the refs got it right, but I think it was nowhere near a cheap shot.

And this is my question....seeing the reviews, yes, he hit him up high in the head and shoulders.

Then how is it that it is a lacerated kidney that puts him on IR? The kidneys are a bit of a way away from the head and shoulders?

Curiouser and curiouser.

surely you jest. all it takes is a hit to the head, and a nerve pinch in the spine, all the way down to the vertebre that has to do with

the kidneys function.. and the .

See? I paid you back.

The lacerated kidney is from a blindside blow to the kindneys. That's dangerous. That is why is was called.

and probably fined about 24,300 bucks. And Andrews bragged about it, which shows he intentionally nailed him

illegally. Completely unnecessary.

Football players have been told since the day they started playing, that they always need to "have their head on a swivel" - especially during a change of possession, as well as large changes of direction.

Yes, it was a violent, brutal hit, and I feel really bad for Jordan as I don't want to see any player get hurt, but he needs to take some of the responsibility for the hit, and had he of been more aware, he would've seen it coming and been able to protect himself.

Was it a foul in today's football? Yea I believe it was and I think the refs got it right, but I think it was nowhere near a cheap shot.

They teach you that sure, but I can promise you that implementing that line of thinking in-game speed wise is next to impossible. It's the same thing with tackling and helmet-to-helmet, we're talking split seconds here. I don't see how you can possibly say he should take responsibility for the hit because it just doesn't work how you're taught. Would you rather him not go full speed and not make the play? Again, from personal experience there's literally no way to implement "having your head on a swivel" unless you want the returner to be dancing in the endzone. Shit doesn't work that way even though they teach you it should.

We're agreeing with each other-all I'm saying is that the NFL really holds that safety mantra high will change this type of hit.

The lacerated kidney is from a blindside blow to the kindneys. That's dangerous. That is why is was called.

and probably fined about 24,300 bucks. And Andrews bragged about it, which shows he intentionally nailed him illegally. Completely unnecessary.

So now he hit Poyer in the head and kidney? Reminds of a schoolkid joke where while pointing to your head the punchline was, "I used my kidney."

Since you're defending the NFL, cal, I invite you to describe the substitute block you'd allow...

6 hours ago - The Most Devastating NFL Fantasy Injuries This Season ... Man,Andrews is a savage for posting a video of that hit while Poyer was still in the hospital ...

surely you jest. all it takes is a hit to the head, and a nerve pinch in the spine, all the way down to the vertebre that has to do with

See? I paid you back.

and probably fined about 24,300 bucks. And Andrews bragged about it, which shows he intentionally nailed him

The guy hit him so hard it ruptured a kidney, not from a direct blow to the back.

Cal we can debate about if there was intent to injure on that play. One thing that can't be debated is Andrews has zero class putting that up on Instagram and bragging about it. He won't think it's so funny if he gets a knee blown out or a leg broken and the guy who does it posts it to You Tube. What goes around comes around. MHO is he owes Poyer an apology.

The guy hit him so hard it ruptured a kidney, not from a direct blow to the back.

Ruptured? All the reports I've seen said "lacerated" which I assumed occurred when Poyer hit the turf, right side of his back first due to his abdomen still torquing from the blow.

See? I paid you back.

I guess I didn't see the hit to the kidneys in the replays. I was concentrating on the hit to the head.

Archived