THE BROWNS BOARD

New Breed of LBer

BrownB499

Just throwing this out there...

The way things are looking it seems Mingo is not quite what the Browns thought he was(An incredibly quick and elusive sack machine freak) So i got to wondering if you were Pettine and O'neil would you try to turn Mingo into a hybrid type LB/CB...A freak covering machine that takes away the new hybrid TE/WR or RB out the backfield...He certainly has the speed and the length but does he have the football IQ? Can he be coached to do it? Or would you even try?

As fast as he is, he couldn't cover most WR's in this league. There is maybe a slim chance he could be a Safety, similar to Kam Chancellor. I just don't think it would work, it's very late in his career to be making such a massive position switch. I think he is just chalked up to as a loss for our team till his contract runs out. In a couple years, he hasn't been able to add weight of any significance I believe.

This year will tell us a lot.(Get Fat) If he struggles to cover Backs and TE's, what make you think he can cover a WR???

I actually think it's a really good point. The OP is not talking about him covering a #1 WR, megatron, brown etc. but about the split-out TE, like Graham, Cameron etc. They create a mismatch on the 'traditional' LB (too slow) and CB (too small) and so a different type of defender is needed to guard them. Mingo is the right build for that role.

Have you seen him tackle one on one. No Chance I'd put out on a Island with Jimmy Graham.. Hope he proves me wrong, but really??

I actually think it's a really good point. The OP is not talking about him covering a #1 WR, megatron, brown etc. but about the split-out TE, like Graham, Cameron etc. They create a mismatch on the 'traditional' LB (too slow) and CB (too small) and so a different type of defender is needed to guard them. Mingo is the right build for that role.

Exactly...I'm not talking about turning him into a CB or safety I'm talking about using him to neutralize the Gronks,Grahams,and Gates that are becoming all the rage in the NFL.

Have you seen him tackle one on one. No Chance I'd put out on a Island with Jimmy Graham.. Hope he proves me wrong, but really??

nobody's saying he's perfect, but at least this year he was playing with a busted shoulder, so basically tackling one-armed. fully fit, he could be that guy. But this isn't necessarily about Mingo, it's about the new wave of 'undersized' LBs coming out around 6'4", 230-240lbs that run a 4.5 40, being utilised to combat a new wave of TEs that are around 6'4", 220-230lb and run a 4.5 40.

I'll agree on a point that the OLB position is changing in terms of TE coverage. If you look across the league the hallmark of most good offenses is a pass-catching TE. Patriots, Broncos, Saints, Lions etc all have huge guys who can go down the middle of the field and make plays. The impetus is on the OLB more and more to cover these guys and that requires a different breed of player.

Mingo did show some coverage ability last year... mostly against backs running outs and such as I recall. And while that may be an encouraging start, it's a far cry from handling accomplished TEs all over the field.

Why the fuck don't the Browns use him for what they got him for: to rush the passer. I still think he could be really good at that. He has the speed. They just need to let him go instead of holding back for the run...or in coverage.

I am not saying he couldn't cover a TE....but I would rather see him going around a TE who is trying to block him on his way to the QB.

I would like to see us put an end to the experiments. We should send him to another team that is looking for a player with "freakish physical ability" & "tons of potential" and in return get a good football player.

Why the fuck don't the Browns use him for what they got him for: to rush the passer. I still think he could be really good at that. He has the speed. They just need to let him go instead of holding back for the run...or in coverage.

I am not saying he couldn't cover a TE....but I would rather see him going around a TE who is trying to block him on his way to the QB.

The point is not specifically about Mingo, it's about the 'hybrid' backers the are coming in to the league these days, of which Mingo is an example. At times you'd use them to rush the passer, but at times you'd use them to cover these guys.

The point is not specifically about Mingo, it's about the 'hybrid' backers the are coming in to the league these days, of which Mingo is an example. At times you'd use them to rush the passer, but at times you'd use them to cover these guys.

I understand, I am just saying that I think that Mingo has been misused quite a bit by not letting him do what they brought him here to do.

Mingo spent most of his time covering TEs and RBs last year, so that concept really isn't something new. Also, I think Mingo is being used exactly how Pettine and O-neil envisioned him when they took over last year. Sure, the Lombardi regime thought he could be a great pass-rusher, but our guys now always saw him with great potential to also be a coverage OLB. I think him being healthy this year will free him up to make more plays, and we will see a much better all-around player...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/barkevious_mingo_browns.html

I understand, I am just saying that I think that Mingo has been misused quite a bit by not letting him do what they brought him here to do.

exactly this^!

pettine and o'neil scouted this dude when in buffalo and i doubt their plan there was to change his position.

inside LB maybe, he can cover some slot dudes but why even bother? his #1 should be getting to the QB, period.

that's why i kinda hate the 3-4 scheme. my friend tells me everyday that that's what everyone is running but then i say: who gives a shit? you draft people based on what they do naturally and then you bring them in and ask them to do something toatlly different? GTFO.

I've said this before, if I were Pettine I'd take the Browns into more 4-3 looks and use Mingo as the Sam, like Denver uses Miller. Mingo would be a terror as a blitzing 4-3 olb'er. Put 5-10 lbs back on Kruger and put his hands in the ground....12 sacks minimum from him if we do that. Vs some teams we can always revert to 3-4 looks by standing the edges up and holding them back. Maybe for those games we pick up another more traditional 3-4 olb'er and use him and Mingo more in those situations. Rest Kruger and Sheard for the most part during those games. But Mingo with a few steps before he hits the line would be all any tackle in the NFL could handle.

I've said this before, if I were Pettine I'd take the Browns into more 4-3 looks and use Mingo as the Sam, like Denver uses Miller. Mingo would be a terror as a blitzing 4-3 olb'er. Put 5-10 lbs back on Kruger and put his hands in the ground....12 sacks minimum from him if we do that. Vs some teams we can always revert to 3-4 looks by standing the edges up and holding them back. Maybe for those games we pick up another more traditional 3-4 olb'er and use him and Mingo more in those situations. Rest Kruger and Sheard for the most part during those games. But Mingo with a few steps before he hits the line would be all any tackle in the NFL could handle.

sheard, mingo, kruger with their hands in the dirt.

CTown Sack City.

sheard, mingo, kruger with their hands in the dirt.

CTown Sack City.

Well i'd put Mingo's hands down on long downs, he's a situational edge rusher with his hands down. I wouldn't want him up on the line full time even with his hands down. I still think this team is built better for a 4-3, but preferably a hybrid. Don't forget about Armonty, who might actually have the best pass rushing repertoire on the team. ANd as I've said, in the 4-3 we could move Mingo around from being one of the LB'ers to move him up to the line situationally. Mingo would be our joker basically that we could throw around the front 7. We'd have so much more matchup flexibility if we moved away from the strict 3-4. One guy that you might no realize would benefit from that scheme change too would be Dansby. I think he would have a major bounce back year as the 4-3 Mike. Robertson would spell him there and Mingo and Kirksey would play Sam and Will.

Running a 4-3 would keep Sheard and Kruger from having to be on the field virtually the entire season like they were last year. We would just have so much better rotations throughout the whole front 7. Keeping Kruger fresh especially, I think he'd easily be a 15 sack guy and we know he'd be one of the best edge setters in football with his hands down...same with Sheard.

Archived