THE BROWNS BOARD

Suh Me

Zombo

I don't think Suh fills a need for us...

...unless we are cutting/trading Taylor ($2mil+) and/or D.Bryant ($6.8mil), because Suh ($14mil+) would replace one of those guys. Plus, we already have Hughes ($660K), and Winn ($544K) who also play that position and can be FAs after this year. Not to mention A.Bryant ($555K) who plays that position as well and should be healthy this year...

Just not sure we need 6 capable DEs that would cost us $25mil+ ... And we still would need a NT...

Doesn't make any sense... NEXT!

I think you underestimate the flexibility of our big hogs and our defensive alignments. The nice thing about Phil is that with his wingspan can align all over the formation. Hughes is a very reliable player anywhere from 0-3 tech. Monty, Winn and Desmond can play 3-5 - though I feel Winn would be far more effective if he could

play back around 285.

Edit. Basically we have players that are good at several spots, but no dominant player up front at their position. You put Suh in this lineup and you'll see either Hughes or Phil's snap count decrease quite a bit.

Suh fan boys?

Y'all better pace yourselves. Save some enthusiasms in case he actually visits us...

Per ESPN- Suh will probably think about teams in states with no income tax first. (Miami, Tampa) He's going to get $50+ million guaranteed, and way over $100 million total.

He's a great player- but not worth that kind of money IMHO.

You'll see the snap counts of Taylor, Sheard, and Rubin at 0 for this team next year.

That's why in the draft I think we should be going DL, OL, DL in rounds 1 and 2. Nothing else matters until you have excellent OL and DL play.. and frankly the rest of the roster isn't far from the playoffs once the DL and OL are fixed.

Pop quiz: How many WR drafted in the first or second rounds played one second in the most recent super bowl?

Per ESPN- Suh will probably think about teams in states with no income tax first. (Miami, Tampa) He's going to get $50+ million guaranteed, and way over $100 million total.

He's a great player- but not worth that kind of money IMHO.

People are so stupid about that income tax thing. And players and agents are so dumb about it. If a state like Fla or Texas doesn't have an income tax, they just make it up on you with other taxes. Some of these states have property taxes triple what other states have. Or they have 10-15% sales taxes. Or they have "asset taxes".

Do these assholes think that the services these states have are created in the night by elves? They will pay just as much tax....just in a different fashion.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=3718

Of course, perhaps it does work out for these guys....who are generally paid in the top 1-5% of the nation. No income tax states primarily shift the burden for state services to the middle and low income classes and away from the wealthy.

Pettine is talking about having a SB caliber defense. you add Suh DE, Hughes OLB and Williams Corner letting Skrine test the market and try and get him back though. And draft a DT in with the 19th pick. like Malcom Brown 6-4 320. or the kid from Oklahoma. we dont need a glory NT he just needs to be strong and hold the line in the middle.

Pettine is talking about having a SB caliber defense. you add Suh DE, Hughes OLB and Williams Corner letting Skrine test the market and try and get him back though. And draft a DT in with the 19th pick. like Malcom Brown 6-4 320. or the kid from Oklahoma. we dont need a glory NT he just needs to be strong and hold the line in the middle.

No point in drafting a lineman early when you'd have Suh and Dan Williams. Actually, there would be no point in drafting a Dlineman at all.

People are so stupid about that income tax thing. And players and agents are so dumb about it. If a state like Fla or Texas doesn't have an income tax, they just make it up on you with other taxes. Some of these states have property taxes triple what other states have. Or they have 10-15% sales taxes. Or they have "asset taxes".

Do these assholes think that the services these states have are created in the night by elves? They will pay just as much tax....just in a different fashion.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=3718

Of course, perhaps it does work out for these guys....who are generally paid in the top 1-5% of the nation. No income tax states primarily shift the burden for state services to the middle and low income classes and away from the wealthy.

thanks for that tidbit Gip. Yeah New Hampshire has no income or sales tax- but the highest property taxes in the country.

RE: Alaska,no income tax, but the residents get a ton of royalty money from the North slope oil wells. Spending the winter in Fairbanks isn't my idea of a fun time either.

thanks for that tidbit Gip. Yeah New Hampshire has no income or sales tax- but the highest property taxes in the country.

RE: Alaska,no income tax, but the residents get a ton of royalty money from the North slope oil wells. Spending the winter in Fairbanks isn't my idea of a fun time either.

Someway, somehow somebody pays.

(Unless it is for pothole repair in NEOhio...then nobody seems to pay for it....as those repairs never seem to be made).

No on Suh. He wants JJ Watt money, or more....and he's not nearly as dominant a player as Watt is. Suh is not a bad player by no means, but he's not the unblockable freak that Watt is who we could also send on an out route on the goal line. Tying up that kind of money on a guy with those kinds of issues is a non starter for me. I know we have a lot of cap space but fuck we'd be nerfing our future cap viability with a contract like that on the books. The fact is our defensive numbers would have "maybe" looked better last year with Suh on the team...but only marginally. He would not have put our defense over the top by any stretch of the imagination. He's durable though, i'll give him that. I would def like to have him on the team but not for elite QB money.

I appreciate how dominant of a player Suh is, but no player outside of quarterback deserves the money he will get. We could bring in 2 pro bowlers and then some with the money we would have to pay to land him.

We are so close to being a great defense, but I hope someone else pulls the trigger on him.

Has a player who's switched teams and got one of these monster deals ever lived up to their paycheck?

I appreciate how dominant of a player Suh is, but no player outside of quarterback deserves the money he will get. We could bring in 2 pro bowlers and then some with the money we would have to pay to land him.

We are so close to being a great defense, but I hope someone else pulls the trigger on him.

Has a player who's switched teams and got one of these monster deals ever lived up to their paycheck?

Reggie White is about the only one I can remember.

So let's got out and get this badass sonofabitch going into the prime of his career and have him eat Roethlisburgers and shit out Flacco.

Zombo

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12407255/ndamukong-suh-set-free-agent-detroit-lions-forgo-tag

Absolutely! The sooner we can turn Ben Rapen into Ben Hurtin - the better...

I always wondered what happened to the kid Johnny Cash used to sing about. If you haven't heard the song, there's nothing to it just click on the link and enjoy... http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+video+of+johnny+cash%27s+man+named+sue&FORM=VIRE5#view=detail&mid=F97D39FCF89C8BD0A5A3F97D39FCF89C8BD0A5A3

Dolphins....soon they will be the laughing stock of the league....just watch.....

They had very little cap space to begin with and just burned it all on the one guy......and now have 13 players using up 75% of their cap...ouch!

Next year they will pay out $32 million big ones for just Suh and their big WR Wallace..(the exact reason you dont pay big FA bucks to many players).....(thats 20% of their whole payroll for 2 guys)(better hope they stay healthy)(and play well)

And for that same $32m the fins spent on these 2 players, the Browns were able to sign dansby...Whitner....Kruger....Hawkins....Dray....Austin...and McCown......and with way WAY less guaranteed if they dont work out well...

you can't buy a good team, but you CAN kill any chance of growth if you burn all your dough on poor FA choices....

114 million over 6 years with 60 million guaranteed is ridiculous! The guy is the best players at his position, don't get me wrong, but the Dolphins are paying him like an elite QB!

I get that it's free agency but there's no defensive player worth more than JJ Watt, let alone 2 million more a season!

Dolphins....soon they will be the laughing stock of the league....just watch.....

They had very little cap space to begin with and just burned it all on the one guy......and now have 13 players using up 75% of their cap...ouch!

Next year they will pay out $32 million big ones for just Suh and their big WR Wallace..(the exact reason you dont pay big FA bucks to many players).....(thats 20% of their whole payroll for 2 guys)(better hope they stay healthy)(and play well)

And for that same $32m the fins spent on these 2 players, the Browns were able to sign dansby...Whitner....Kruger....Hawkins....Dray....Austin...and McCown......and with way WAY less guaranteed if they dont work out well...

you can't buy a good team, but you CAN kill any chance of growth if you burn all your dough on poor FA choices....

Actually they are in a fairly good position cap wise coming into next season. If they cut Wallace and Ellerbe, they'll have about 60 million in cap room. Add Suh and Tannehill's contract extension / fifth year option and they'll still have about 25 million to work with.

I completely agree with you that paying Suh this kind of money is silly, but their cap situation is not as bad as one would think...

If they cut Wallace and Ellerbe, they'll have about 60 million in cap room.

I completely agree with you that paying Suh this kind of money is silly, but their cap situation is not as bad as one would think...

yep....cutting them both would make a big difference....though they'd still be on the hook for 8m in guarantees and even more guaranteed money going forward into 2017......

I know the Dolphs are looking for a trade partner on Wallace, but it wont happen.....they won't get anyone to buy their mistake....

In the end, I think we're on the same page here.... why sign players to outrageous contracts if you're just gonna have to cut them?....it always is a "win" for the players, but rarely pays off for the team doing the signing.....

yep....cutting them both would make a big difference....though they'd still be on the hook for 8m in guarantees and even more guaranteed money going forward into 2017......

I know the Dolphs are looking for a trade partner on Wallace, but it wont happen.....they won't get anyone to buy their mistake....

In the end, I think we're on the same page here.... why sign players to outrageous contracts if you're just gonna have to cut them?....it always is a "win" for the players, but rarely pays off for the team doing the signing.....

The dead cap hit for Wallace, Ellerbe and Wheeler (post June 1 cut) is exactly 10M, with no dead money past 2016. That would still save them 11.6 million next season, leaving them with 32 players under contract and 60 million in cap room. So not as bad as you would expect considering their current cap situation. Then again, their depth should be quite poor considering how little cap room they'll have for 20 other players. Pray your starters don't get injured, right?

The issue with outrageous contracts is who you are giving them to in my opinion. Wallace was never worth 12M/yr, the guy is an elite deep threat and nothing more. Same can be said for Ellerbe and Wheeler, who were all the result of a GM on the hot seat having to spend a crapload of money in an attempt to save his job.

With Suh the issue is a bit more clouded. Gerald McCoy got 16M/yr a year before hitting the open market. That's the least Suh should have gotten, so 3 million is the free agency premium and result of a bidding war. So while I'll be the first to tell you that that kind of money is ridiculous for a non QB, it's now the cost of a top tier interior pass rusher combined with him hitting free agency.

If the Fins are as close to breaking out as they think they are, then Suh's monster signing can make sense... even with Wallace restructured to still be on board.

Problem is, they may be the only ones who think they are close...

Archived