THE BROWNS BOARD

Grade the following WR scenario

Frenchie

Heading into pre-season, what grade would you give the following (realistic) scenario for the Brown WR group (no order in the list provided):

Benjamin

Gabriel

Hawkins

Miles Austin

Cecil Shorts

Ted Gin Jr.

Brian Hartline

Devonte Parker ( or your realistic draft choice of preference)

I think it's doable, affordable, serviceable and while not intimidating, it's a quality group of players.

Not a bad list, but carry 8 active WRs into the season? Strikes me as about zero chance of that.

Last year we had all of five WRs catch passes (Gordon, Benji, Hawk, Gabe and Miles) and another throw in kick returns (Moore). I think there were 2 more on the PS (Smith and Bates???). I think Smith was activated late after Miles went on IR.

Heading into pre-season, what grade would you give the following (realistic) scenario for the Brown WR group (no order in the list provided):

Benjamin

Gabriel

Hawkins

Miles Austin

Cecil Shorts

Ted Gin Jr.

Brian Hartline

Devonte Parker ( or your realistic draft choice of preference)

I think it's doable, affordable, serviceable and while not intimidating, it's a quality group of players.

Not a bad looking group.....tho not sure well actually carry 8 wr's......personally, Id pass on the "new guys", except maybe tap Shorts to replace Benji.....then Id wish for something more like a starter FA and a 3rd or 4th round draft pick like smith/Dorestt/Perriman/Hardy/etc...

Ok...went back, took a minute and here would be my "reasonable or realistic" possible line up....

Hawkins

Gabriel

Austin

Shorts

Torrey Smith - FA

And draft one of many....my favorites are:

White

Gr-Beckham

Strong

Smith

Perriman

I don't know squat compared to many here & especially the experts, but I DO hope we bring some height in to WR.

I will say that I want NOTHING to do with Green-Beckham.

Mike

4 free agents and a 1st round pick...? Highly doubtful.

I'd take Shorts, Austin or Hartline, and a pick. That would be plenty

But Ginn can be our return guy!!

Not a bad looking group.....tho not sure well actually carry 8 wr's......personally, Id pass on the "new guys", except maybe tap Shorts to replace Benji.....then Id wish for something more like a starter FA and a 3rd or 4th round draft pick like smith/Dorestt/Perriman/Hardy/etc...

That's why I said "heading into pre-season"

FA- Randall Cobb(ties to Joker), FA- Hartline, Hawkins, Gabriel. Than Draft Tyler Lockett and Benji battle it out for PR KR/WR

Did you see the WRs on Sea and NE? Not exactly all-pro material...

Hawkins had the best numbers on the team and they were worse than all but Kearse who is at least a tall WR that requires coverage.

Benjamin - too weak

Gabriel - too small

Hawkins - good slot/possession WR

Miles Austin - old and slow

Cecil Shorts - injury prone/possession WR

Ted Ginn Jr. - never really been effective for an entire system

Brian Hartline - possession WR no real threat

At best all these guys are 3rd down/possession WRs not one has the ability to stretch the field

Demarius Thomas

Dez Bryant

Randall Cobb

Cecil Shorts

Brian Hartline

Ted Ginn Jr.

Not saying that teams are going to let the first group go but they are the type of WR the Browns need.

Fantasy - yes, Realistic? - I don't think so!

Hawkins had the best numbers on the team and they were worse than all but Kearse who is at least a tall WR that requires coverage.

Benjamin - too weak

Gabriel - too small

Hawkins - good slot/possession WR

Miles Austin - old and slow

Cecil Shorts - injury prone/possession WR

Ted Ginn Jr. - never really been effective for an entire system

Brian Hartline - possession WR no real threat

At best all these guys are 3rd down/possession WRs not one has the ability to stretch the field

We saw Gabriel and Benjamin go deep a couple of times last year. I see Hawkins and Gabriel in the slot, Shorts and Hartline as starters. Ginni and Benjamin in back-up & return roles, and Austin as 3rd down/possession. Austin has another year left in him.

We saw Gabriel and Benjamin go deep a couple of times last year. I see Hawkins and Gabriel in the slot, Shorts and Hartline as starters. Ginni and Benjamin in back-up & return roles, and Austin as 3rd down/possession. Austin has another year left in him.

A couple of times, yes. Most teams have at least one guy who can move the needle on any given down, that guy was Josh Gordon for the Browns. They need to try to replace that threat. You can do it in the draft by drafting a WR at 12 or 19. The other guys are what they are.

OSU homerism aside, I am not sure why people want Tedd Ginn....

He would improve the return game and add some injury insurance/depth to the team at WR. Yes, there is OSU homerism but I think the Browns need to leverage that to get some WR bodies in here.

He would improve the return game and add some injury insurance/depth to the team at WR. Yes, there is OSU homerism but I think the Browns need to leverage that to get some WR bodies in here.

Ted Ginn has only caught more than 20 balls twice in the last six years.

A couple of times, yes. Most teams have at least one guy who can move the needle on any given down, that guy was Josh Gordon for the Browns. They need to try to replace that threat. You can do it in the draft by drafting a WR at 12 or 19. The other guys are what they are.

I agree. That's why I put Devonte into the formula (or some other drafted player available at either 12 or 19). But if that's the group we end up with, I'll give a B rating and we can address it again in 2016.

I agree. That's why I put Devonte into the formula (or some other drafted player available at either 12 or 19). But if that's the group we end up with, I'll give a B rating and we can address it again in 2016.

I guess I don't see the need to bring in Hartline, Shorts or Ginn

Why do that with a 30 year old WR that hasn't been able to stick with any team? Why not bring in some youth and see if they develop?

I guess I don't see the need to bring in Hartline, Shorts or Ginn

exactly.

we did ok<fine with our 'midget' WR corp last year. why sign some FAs when you know we're going to draft 1or 2?

besides as ball peen pointed out in another thread we can always put gilbert back there to return P/KOs. maybe he'll do good and that might give him some motivation to get off his ass. sometimes a little recognition can go a long way.

exactly.

we did ok<fine with our 'midget' WR corp last year. why sign some FAs when you know we're going to draft 1or 2?

besides as ball peen pointed out in another thread we can always put gilbert back there to return P/KOs. maybe he'll do good and that might give him some motivation to get off his ass. sometimes a little recognition can go a long way.

If we don't sign any FA's, we're going to need at least two WR's in the draft. I think that's too risky. We have emptied the cupboards at that position and need quality starters and backups. I would be shocked if we don't sign at least 2 FA's and draft 1 or 2. I think the group I proposed is a way of giving us some talent at the position without breaking the bank.

Archived