THE BROWNS BOARD

What was the hurry (motive) in signing Josh McCown?

Opal312

With free agency right around the corner, I cannot understand why the Browns couldn't wait and see what quarterbacks will be available and evaluate their options when they hit the market. Do we know what Type of a deal Hoyer is looking for? And how about the other free agent quarterbacks who will be looking for teams come March.

Does this mean that Hoyer is gone? I believe if he had more weapons last year like Odell Beckham or Mike Evans things would have been different. Yes, I realize Alex Mack's season ending injury affected the running game and we became one dimensional and predictable. But who's fault was that?

Farmer better draft one of the best wide receivers this coming April or it won't matter who is under center.

I'm just really puzzled at this latest move and why so soon? Is Farmer trying to politely tell Brian Hoyer he won't be needed?

They could have at least waited and weighed all their options and had some negotiations with His agent.

The move shows we are 100% in with Manziel. McCown is a maybe starter and back-up for Manziel.

I believe we did talk with Hoyers agent and the bottom line is they wanted more money and more years then the Browns were willing to pay, because as I stated earlier, we were looking more for a back-up qb. I don't know who all will hit the market, but I would be preet safe to say offering a 3 year deal at 3 or so mil a year wouldn't get much done.

Now we have a veteran QB when we didn't a few days ago.

Hoyer wants Farmer to revile what message was sent to sidelines. At this point its obvious Hoyer was included. FA QB's list is not changing but soon to be dwindling. They got the guy that fits all needs. Can start, no whining if he don't and will mentor any young QB and even if it's Foles he knows his role at a pretty good price. (Hurry) saves money before the other teams start firing highest bidder to his agent and (Motive) is if the League ever get's off there ass, Shanny (Mr. Whine Ass) can't wait to Bury Farmer with what's in his Phone. Time may tell but for now, we sure the hell can't afford to lose ANY draft pick period.

Losing him to Buffalo or some other team. Great locker room guy, mentor and backup. Could start if necessary

That.

And since he was released the battle to sign him was on.

We have nothing at QB. Johnny is in rehab and Conner Shaw is a backup prospect at best.

Obviously they didn't want Hoyer back, they wanted a guy who was at the point in his career will he was willing to backup a young QB and start when needed.

Hoyer wants to start period.

I think they just wanted to get a veteran QB on board to help stabilize things without having to hand someone the starters job whie they figure things out with Johnny/draft/free agency.

Zombo

McCown knew FLip from their time in Oakland.

I imagine he'll make a good assistant offensive coach in a

few years, he'll be great for JF, Shaw, and maybe a star qb

in the draft a year from now.

To me, seems that Hoyer hasn't been the same since his knee injury,

and was losing zip on his throws last year a bit.

I'm fine with it.

I like the attitude McCown comes here with:

"I just want to serve our team and help everybody in that locker room, do my best to help everybody in the locker room be better at their job and they're going to help me, too. It's a two-way street," McCown said. "I'm just excited about coming in and being a part of a team.

"Year 1 was a solid first year for coach (Mike) Pettine, and to see the vision with what he's got going on is exciting to me. In my room, I want to be able to help those young guys and pass along my knowledge and experiences I've had and help them grow."

I think the Browns just wanted a guy that will help the QB room. And Hoyer was more interested with himself being the starter. Which I don't blame him

To me this reeks of all in on Johnny and hopefully it works out. I have SERIOUS doubts it will though

'Bout says it all... I think the time Flip spent with Luke in OAK was key.

Only thing to add is that we knew all the FA QBs coming to market, and none fit our needs as well.

I'm not a psychologist but I wonder if telling our fist rounders of last year "look, we've given you a year to adjust to the NFL. We know you have tremendous talent and it's now make it or break it time. You have the offseason and preseason to get ready. We would like you to start at least the first three games of 2015 unless we cut you before the season begins. But If you don't demonstrate that you can "play like a Brown", it will be in front of NFL audience and then we will cut you off the team and your NFL dreams would be over. That would scare me enough to give my undivided attention and 100% effort. Thoughts?

I like everything I have seen and read about Mike Pettine both before he came to Cleveland and now one year into being our HC. I see the players responding to his philosophy. In the short time I have seen Pet I have not seen a better motivator or leader anywhere in the league.

i don't see this as being 'all-in' on manziel at all. i see it as an insurance policy. to bridge a gap.

who really thinks that they told mccown that he was going to be a backup to manziel or shaw? that's flippin hilarious!

one is a prospect and the other can't even keep his nose clean (literally).

no. mccown is here to start and mentor who ever the browns want him to mentor from someone we already have or someone we plan on drafting. i highly doubt though, that they did this as an 'all-in' move FOR manziel. remember they had faith in gordon and look where that got them. i'm sure everyone in the org has learned a big fat juicy lesson from that nonsense.

It's good.

The drama was killing Hoyer and I don't know if anyone could put up with another year of fans calling for Johnny, ect.

He's moved on, and we got a mentor for all of our young QB's to learn from.

Connor Shaw, Johnny Manziel, and maybe even Brett Hundley or Cardale Jones next year if we find a way to get him.

I'm excited, although I would of been more stoked to trade for Derek Anderson and hire Bernie as our QB's coach

LMAO...

mccown is here to start and mentor who ever the browns want him to mentor from someone we already have or someone we plan on drafting. i highly doubt though, that they did this as an 'all-in' move FOR manziel.

Add that we all know what Pet thinks about starting a rookie QB and the upcoming draft is addressed.

And for all intensive purposes Manziel and Shaw are both still rookies. The latter never got reps until Week 16 and the former pissed away his year.

Why not just suit up O'Connell?

That's funny. As soon as I saw his age, I expected someone to suggest that very thing.

Mike

He truly would be a player coach.

Who was the last NFL player-coach?

Last player-coach I can remember in Cleveland was Lenny Wilkins. Before that Frank Robinson...

Need to fire up the Gip-signal...

Despite what people on this board say he's a solid back-up level talent in the NFL and about the top of the FA QB's this year. It's obvious Hoyer wasn't in play, and signing McCown at least gives the team a QB to trot out there if Manziel doesn't pan out and we are bridging the gap.

Last player-coach I can remember in Cleveland was Lenny Wilkins. Before that Frank Robinson...

Need to fire up the Gip-signal...

To tell you the truth, I wasn't aware there ever was one.

The more interesting question, in my opinion...Could we list O'Connell as our emergency QB?

He did good in Chicago

In a much,much better situation. With a running game and one of the best receiving corps in the league.

His good stretch in Chicago could be compared to Hoyer's good stretch in Cleveland. It's very clear that McCown is a backup - and we should expect him to play like one if he gets the call.

Cant remember one myself....tho did find a blurb about Tom Landry being a player/defensive coach....

But I think it's against the rules now

I do remember hearing something somewhere that Player Coaches are not allowed by the CBA or the NFL....lots of rules that would overlap and create problems both during games and in the off season......

Examples: coaches cant talk to or have players in during off season......coaches can't communicate with players on others teams......coaches cant be on the field.......only one player in each huddle can talk to the coach......etc etc etc.....

too many loopholes....teams would create player coaches just to circumvent a lot of rules I think....

Archived