Zombo

Hoyer's final log:

17G 16 starts 10 wins 6 losses .625%

534 att - 299 completions 56%

17 Tds - 16 Int

3,941 yards -7.38 y/a 13.18 y/c

30 sacks, 5.3% sack percentage

77.6 Rating

Highest winning percentage and highest QB rating for a Brown since 1999.

Led the NFL in yards per completion in 2014 and engineered 5 comeback wins and 5 game winning drives in just 16 overall starts.

Other than his own play, the three things that did in his reign as starter:

1. No answer at Center once Mack went down

2. Josh Gordon's mistake filled return

3. Team needing to see #1 pick Manziel play

11 TDS and 5 Ints in games in which Gordon did not play in 2014

1 TD and 8 Ints in games in which Gordon did play in 2014.

Overall not bad for a guy that was brought in to compete for a third string position.

Most telling stat:

In 2013-14 the Browns were 10-6 when Hoyer started, 1-15 when he didn't.

Zombo

If Hoyer really wants to start- adios. BTW, Hoyer's career stats are slightly better than McCown's.

But this is the best we could do? Paid this bum Almost $5 million to suck? The Ghost of Jake Delhomme is alive and well on the shores of Lake Erie.

"Instead, the Browns laid the groundwork in Indianapolis for the signing of McCown, who's gone 17-32 as a starter in his 12-year career."

If this guy starts, the plan is "Fail for Cardale".

i liked hoyer a lot. the drafting of manziel doomed his career in cleveland.

you can put that one on the owner.

was hoping he'd do the 'hometown discount' and get re-signed but.........he wants to get paid and that is what is good for him and his family. money means more than loyalty to some.

good luck, but i ain't shedding no tears.

Hoyer had his up and downs. Loved his fire, it was Brees like. He did a lot with crap for weapons, but it is what it is. Never a dull moment in the life of a Browns fan.

Hoyer is nothing but CLASS. Who cares about the way things wind down for him on the field --in First Energy, or out of it-- Brian Hoyer is a Brown by birthright. He's an outstanding human being with a short but bright history of service to the operations under the lights in the lore of Cleveland football.

He'll remain on & in our Hearts forever. There are no sad days concerning Brian Hoyer. (The best thing is, he's still alive)

Hoyer will represent his Hometown to the fullest by the greatness that comes along with being from this area.

We'll be glad to see him 'round here any day!

I don't like you callin' our weapons "crap"

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

they're like Milk Duds; dey sure ain't Snickers, and dey a little chewy, [really chewy] BUT they're still sumpin' [kinda] tasty

dats all I'gotta say bout dat righ'naw.

those are your sentiments and you're welcome to them. just don't use the word 'we' as if everyone feels the same way as you, because as you know by now there are a lot of different views being posted on here all the time.

Hometown Kid. Still Wanted To Play For His Home Town Losing Team. Not Many QB's Leave Cleveland With a Winning Record. Your Weapons, and lack of weapons Go Down with Injuries and Drug Bands. Hoyer works his ass off to Rebuild Knee and still Beats Out Your #1 Draft Pick. Than Your Own Front Office Text Sidelines about Players and Play calling. F'ing Sad. But true... Can Only wish Hoyer and His Family the Best.

It's good to see a number of fans appreciating what he did. Hoyer had the same brutal knee injury RG3 had; and he wasn't nearly the same sissy in the pocket. Zombo bought up a great point - the Browns were 1-15 with alternatives to Hoyer and 10-6 with him IN CLEVELAND. You like magic? That's a lot closer to seeing a football messiah walking on water than the 1st round hotshot getting outplayed by Colt McCoy in Washington. By the way, those alternatives to Hoyer were both former first round QBs just to remind us what a bang for the buck Hoyer was here.

I wish we could have given him some targets taller than Tom Thumb outside last year even though Miles Austin delivered as much as he could. Every time we get a promising talent like Edwards or Gordon to 1 Pro Bowl - football quickly took a back seat to partying and lucky us! This is why our front office and scouting department has to dig deeper into the character side on some of these WR prospects moving forward. The importance of the position isn't going to go away when the running game can only take us so far. Indy was doing everything they could to hand us the W. We need to make our QB position easier to play so we don't have to keep hearing how much we miss playing for 50-60 yard FGs from Phil Dawson all the time. Even if that gets you to the playoffs, you're gonna get parked in round 1 like body by Andy Dalton always does.

We'll see what McCown can accomplish here. Even though Tampa went over like a fart in church - he outplayed Cutler in Chicago with the same teammates while Cutler's contract is still holding them hostage. My guess is we can protect him better than Tampa while treating him to a better running game. He's got the same athleticism to escape the pocket as Manziel/Shaw with more experience to know when/how to do so at the NFL level.

Hometown kid that came in and helped give the fans a glimpse of hope for this team. The offense responded to him, the younger guys appreciated him and he's been class from start to finish.

Sad the journey ends like this, but I for one will appreciate what Hoyer has done for Cleveland.

It's good to see a number of fans appreciating what he did. Hoyer had the same brutal knee injury RG3 had; and he wasn't nearly the same sissy in the pocket. Zombo bought up a great point - the Browns were 1-15 with alternatives to Hoyer and 10-6 with him IN CLEVELAND. You like magic? That's a lot closer to seeing a football messiah walking on water than the 1st round hotshot getting outplayed by Colt McCoy in Washington. By the way, those alternatives to Hoyer were both former first round QBs just to remind us what a bang for the buck Hoyer was here.

I wish we could have given him some targets taller than Tom Thumb outside last year even though Miles Austin delivered as much as he could. Every time we get a promising talent like Edwards or Gordon to 1 Pro Bowl - football quickly took a back seat to partying and lucky us! This is why our front office and scouting department has to dig deeper into the character side on some of these WR prospects moving forward. The importance of the position isn't going to go away when the running game can only take us so far. Indy was doing everything they could to hand us the W. We need to make our QB position easier to play so we don't have to keep hearing how much we miss playing for 50-60 yard FGs from Phil Dawson all the time. Even if that gets you to the playoffs, you're gonna get parked in round 1 like body by Andy Dalton always does.

We'll see what McCown can accomplish here. Even though Tampa went over like a fart in church - he outplayed Cutler in Chicago with the same teammates while Cutler's contract is still holding them hostage. My guess is we can protect him better than Tampa while treating him to a better running game. He's got the same athleticism to escape the pocket as Manziel/Shaw with more experience to know when/how to do so at the NFL level.

Flugels! Welcome back, bro.

Missed that Greg Pruitt avatar.

McCown look like Tarzan play like Jane!

Zombo

I think there is obviously another move coming. But letting a guy walk who has had the success that Hoyer has had here is still a little puzzling to me. To me, it is the front office making sure their first round pick has no real impediments to the #1 spot. And why? Because we drafted him in the first round so he HAS to be given an opportunity. I understand the need for a mentoring veteran quarterback and I have no problem with McCown. I have a problem with the mindset that we want all of the quarterbacks on the roster not named Johnny to be happy sitting behind an inferior player. I don't blame Hoyer at all with not being happy sitting behind a quarterback he KNOWS he can outplay. That's a competitor and the type of player we should want on our team.

But let's look at Brian's situation here last year. I can think of no other quarterback that has dealt with anything similiar:

1. Coming off a season-ending knee injury

2. First year as a starting quarterback

3. New system, head coach, offensive coordinator, etc.

4. Multiple injuries at key positions, including all-pro players

5. Manzielmania - NOBODY has ever had to deal with anything like this in the history of sports. Back-up QB is holding weekly press conferences. In the NFL! Large portion of the fan base and idiot talking heads screaming for the back-up to play.

6. At 6-3 and 7-4, has to hear about 'reports' coming from the building that his bosses still want to see Manziel play, and sooner rather than later.

Despite dealing with all of that, and let's use the anti-Hoyer people's number, he has a record of 9-6 as the starting QB of a team that did not win more than 5 games in any of the prior 6 seasons. I think Brian deserved another chance here and it is a shame, to me, that isn't going to happen.

Sometimes I wonder what last year would have been like if the Browns had never drafted Manziel.

Flugels! Welcome back, bro.

Missed that Greg Pruitt avatar.

McCown look like Tarzan play like Jane!

Zombo

It feels great to hear that from you man! Thanks!

Tell you what, someone should zip your endorsement of Hoyer over to him; because I don't think anyone could do a better job than you did. I'll bet that includes his agent especially if he can't land ho Hoyer a starting gig over someone like Mettenberger here in Nashville this year. If they can't remember what team erased a 28-3 halftime lead on them last year - they're gonna stay 2-14 irregardless of adding the REAL Dick LeBeau to the counterfeit one...

As for McNown, let's just hope he's not as color blind and dislexic at reading coverages as his brother Luke was or we're going to need to swap Drew Carey with Dr Frasier Crane permanently. To get our game faces back on, let's acknowledge when Chicago gave him a better running game and pass protection than Tampa could - he did pretty good outplaying the far more expensive Cutler with the same exact teammates.

It feels great to hear that from you man! Thanks!

Tell you what, someone should zip your endorsement of Hoyer over to him; because I don't think anyone could do a better job than you did. I'll bet that includes his agent especially if he can't land ho Hoyer a starting gig over someone like Mettenberger here in Nashville this year. If they can't remember what team erased a 28-3 halftime lead on them last year - they're gonna stay 2-14 irregardless of adding the REAL Dick LeBeau to the counterfeit one...

As for McNown, let's just hope he's not as color blind and dislexic at reading coverages as his brother Luke was or we're going to need to swap Drew Carey with Dr Frasier Crane permanently. To get our game faces back on, let's acknowledge when Chicago gave him a better running game and pass protection than Tampa could - he did pretty good outplaying the far more expensive Cutler with the same exact teammates.

"OK Brian, here's the deal:

We are going to draft a Heisman winner in the first round who is right now maybe the most polarizing celebrity in sports. And we're going to make you beat him out, which, when you do, will piss most folks off.

Then we're going to put two rookie RBs (with some possible character concerns)in the backfield with you and treat the fullback position like it's a week-to-week audition with various street folks.

That guy that led the NFL receiving last year? You don't get him. Well, you get him at the end of the season when he comes in without looking at the playbook and makes up routes ... it is up to you to guess which way he is running. But we're giving you lots of little WRs to run around in the meantime: A guy off the Bengals bench, an undrafted rookie and a guy coming off of knee surgery that wasn't too good to begin with. We will give you one solid veteran at the end of his career, but he won't make it through the season.

That Pro Bowl tight end? You don't get him. Well, I mean, he'll play a couple games in between concussions, but not enough to get any rhythm going. Otherwise you get two Polonkas who were backups on bad NFC teams.

But up front you do get an offensive line anchored by Pro Bowlers Joe Thomas and Alex Mack. Except that you lose Mack after four games. And we don't really replace him. At all. What I mean to say is, you play the last three quarters of the season without an NFL quailty center.

OK now, so then when you take this 4 -12 team and go 7-6 with the rookie backfield, tryouts at FB, the midget wr corps, the backup tight ends and the sandlot centers ... we're going to bench you for the rookie with the playoffs on the line.

Oh ... and no new contract, you play out that third string deal we gave you two years and go and play the season as the lowest paid starter in the NFL. Until we bench you with a winning record in the toughest division on the NFL.

Would you like to come back? Have your agent send me a text. Oh wait ... Holy Shit, the Bucs just cut Josh McCown, gotta go!"

Zombo

Same knee injury as RG3, give or take an LCL... Moving on.

First, good on Pet and Farmer for calling Brian. It was a class move.

Brian was a great game manager when we had the game that allowed him to stay in that role. But then we did not. The troubling thing is as we recouped some of our performance loss, Brian's play continued to decline. I've no doubt that throughout his decline he redoubled his already serious dedication to the Browns. However, that makes moving on from him all the harder and sadder.

I wish him nothing, but the best. I sincerely hope he exorcises whatever demons took root in his head the 2nd half of the year...

... unless of course we should meet him in 2015.

Mostly it breaks my heart, as it always does, to see somebody's dreams not work out. I feel terrible and wish things could have been different. On the other hand I have absolutely no idea but it seems like somebody in the front office, maybe everybody, was against keeping him.

Logic dictates that you can't let fan sentiment rule your decisions. But it is tough on those of us who take it personally.

WSS

On the other hand I have absolutely no idea but it seems like somebody in the front office, maybe everybody, was against keeping him.

I have no idea either, but from the reports it almost feels like a personal issue between him and Farmer......they just didn't seem able to communicate with each other(or want to)....

Had things gone perfectly, it would have been a great story for Hoyer....too bad....

i got over taking it personally after firing my first person OTJ. life sucks. biz is biz.

don't be too sad. if brian hoyer really wanted to stay in cleveland i'm sure the browns would have been happy to have him. when you have an agent that tells you to hold out for that special number you're looking for and someone creeps in the side door willing to take your job at a better price, then poo poo to you.

I just hope to God he doesn't go to Buffalo and go 10-6 while we go 3-13 with McMidget.

Because then we'll be firing everyone again.

Lord save us.

Zombo

I simply do not think the organization (as a whole, not just the FO) had faith in Brian recovering his winning form.

Step one in "the plan" agreed to at the 3-day retreat...

That's pretty hard to argue, especially with them moving on before they can even talk to anybody but McCown.

I think Hoyer lost the "it" factor that allowed him to perform possibly above his skill set. Living the dream job, etc. But I also think, while sitting at 7-4, when he heard it still wasn't good enough for his bosses, he lost his confidence also. Knew he couldn't play well enough to keep his job no matter what he was seeing every day in practice from Johnny. Starting pressing and trying to be perfect and it just started to snowball past the point of recovery.

You guys know way more about football than I do. And I understand the thinking that missing in the first round can set a franchise back. Time will tell, but I think down the road, the Manziel pick is going to be viewed as setting the franchise back because they didn't cut bait and acknowledge their mistake. I just think without Manzielmania in the background, which it won't be next year, Hoyer could have improved and maintained a higher level of play. Nobody should be promised a starting job, but once you earn it, you do deserve to be treated like the starter, not a week to week audition for your job. But what do I know.

Winning football games the right way is the path to relevancy in the NFL. Not drafting a media circus.

I have to again take issue with your one statement about not cutting bait and admitting their mistake on day 1. Nobody in the NFL history, as far as I know, has ever drafted a quarterback in the first round and shit canned him after 1 complete game. That's just a ridiculous statement.

Also I too admit I know less about football than most of the guys here but don't forget even our smartest guy knows less than the guy that brings coffee to the guy who brings coffee to the lowest assistant coach in Berea. We really don't know what's going on there at all. We speculate on the speculation.

WSS

I don't believe Hoyer ever recovered psychologically from the injury, his arm is what I would call "weak" on long throws, and mostly, I don't think he was willing to mentor ANY young QB that may displace him as starter. IMO, the mentoring issue may have been the end for him.

At Steve stated, I hate to see his dream end as it it was also the dream of many Browns' Fans (myself included) to see the hometown kid lead us to the Promised Land, but I also believe that the move to McCown will better serve the future of the Browns' offense, be it with Johnny or another young QB.

Mike

Archived