THE BROWNS BOARD

2015 - FA / Draft / Notes

JAFBF

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What we do not have on our roster is an elusive back with speed to burn. I like Ameer, but he's not that guy either.

Abdullah had the fasted 20 yard shuttle, 3 cone drill and highest vertical at the combine of all RB's.

Plus there is this.... I think we disagree on how explosive this kid is. The top end speed isn't elite. That initial burst? Absolutely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3KNGH9YWo

He had back surgery in 2013. That's a big concern especially if he's going to be asked to command double teams and keep blockers off the ILBers. Then there's the issues with his stamina and reports of taking plays off. I can't help but think of Gerrard Warren here.

The surgery is a secondary red flag in my mind. Obviously its something to take in account and can effect his performance. However I can't imagine Philips ceiling being much higher even at full health.

My wish list is:

Julius Thomas

Terrance Knighton

Mike Iupati

Torrey Smith

Brian Bulaga

Jerome Felton

But all of those guys are going to conmand large contracts and that doesn't seem to fit with Farmer's mentality. So, I think we could see something more like this:

Jerry Hughes

Andre Holmes

Trent Cole

Clint Boling

Ed Dickson

Dan Williams

Landing at least three of those guys would be a major step in the right direction and would allow us room to move around in the draft if we see fit. All of these guys are talented players who won't command monstrous contracts, yet would likely immediately start for us.

Abdullah had the fasted 20 yard shuttle, 3 cone drill and highest vertical at the combine of all RB's.

Plus there is this.... I think we disagree on how explosive this kid is. The top end speed isn't elite. That initial burst? Absolutely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3KNGH9YWo

also has the highest fumble rate per carry.

Talk about losing all credibility. How about this mock draft by Ian Wharton of bleacherreport. He has Brown to us @12 and has Shelton totally disappear from the first round. He also has a most likely 2nd round CB in his top 10.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2388187-2015-nfl-mock-draft-logical-solutions-for-every-first-round-team

Talk about losing all credibility. How about this mock draft by Ian Wharton of bleacherreport. He has Brown to us @12 and has Shelton totally disappear from the first round. He also has a most likely 2nd round CB in his top 10.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2388187-2015-nfl-mock-draft-logical-solutions-for-every-first-round-team

Just look at who he has going to the Ravens at #26...

Did he have any credibility to begin with???......I would agree that Shelton isn't one who's gonna drop that far....But.....no one is projecting CB's for the first round....and I see about 4 going before round 2.....(and waynes may NOT be the first, second or third)

Just look at who he has going to the Ravens at #26...

Eric Rowe killed it at the combine and was a small school player no ones ever heard of......now he's on a rapid rise and a good possibility to reach the first round....

My favorite, that no one talks about, is Quinten Rollins from Miami Ohio.....another one that could(should) pop in the 1st round...

Skrine has 8 teams talking to him?? That has to up the Brown's value of him.

I like Skrine. He the guy that gives u hope for Gilbert. Skrines first year was an absolute disaster. If he was as tall as Gilbert he'd be top 5 cb.

The only running back that interests me this draft that has the ability to bring something to the table Crow & West don't have is Abdullah.

Sorry, but a swing pass out of the backfield that should have gone for no more than 11 yards, but went the distance vs. McNeese St. doesn't impress me. What also doesn't impress is his pass protection...

Ameer brings agility to be sure, but lacks top end speed. Just feels like he'd be a dancer behind the ZBS. Based upon 10-yd split, Crow, with his decisive, one-cut style actually accelerates harder. And West shows more patience wide.

The kid may well develop, and excepting his 40 time, I love his measureables, but all that adds up to IMO is a "like".

Eric Rowe killed it at the combine and was a small school player no ones ever heard of......now he's on a rapid rise and a good possibility to reach the first round...

Better not go to Utah anytime soon... ;)

Many think Rowe is considered an even better FS candidate than he is a CB.

Better not go to Utah anytime soon... ;)

Many think Rowe is considered an even better FS candidate than he is a CB.

Eric Rowe killed it at the combine and was a small school player no ones ever heard of......now he's on a rapid rise and a good possibility to reach the first round..

Whoops........................ ...............................^^^^^Fixed ^^^^.

Eric Rowe killed it at the combine and was a small school player no ones ever heard of......now he's on a rapid rise and a good possibility to reach the first round..

Whoops........................ ...............................^^^^^Fixed ^^^^.

He is a solid player and had a good combine but I haven't read anywhere that he's being considered as a 1st round pick. I'm not particularly fond of most B/R writers other than Bowen and Miller, but I was trying to make the point that this guy is even worse than the norm.

He is a solid player and had a good combine but I haven't read anywhere that he's being considered as a 1st round pick. I'm not particularly fond of most B/R writers other than Bowen and Miller, but I was trying to make the point that this guy is even worse than the norm.

Well ....now you've read it here...:)

Ima guess he actually goes second round, but do know that the Ravens have interest in him and are picking a bit late....so, it's not really an outrageous thought....

I will agree 100%, that B/R is not loaded with quality writers....I rarely pay any attention to their articles lists.....their tactics kind of remind me of the USA Today color pie chart and graph type of reporting....lots of pictures, but very little substance..

Well ....now you've read it here... :)

Ima guess he actually goes second round, but do know that the Ravens have interest in him and are picking a bit late....so, it's not really an outrageous thought....

I will agree 100%, that B/R is not loaded with quality writers....I rarely pay any attention to their articles lists.....their tactics kind of remind me of the USA Today color pie chart and graph type of reporting....lots of pictures, but very little substance..

drafttek currently has him far down the list of CBs at 19th best and #139 overall which puts him in the 5th round. They have him as recently rising 49 spots after the combine.

http://www.drafttek.com/2015-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Cornerbacks-2015-Draft.asp

drafttek currently has him far down the list of CBs at 19th best and #139 overall which puts him in the 5th round. They have him as recently rising 49 spots after the combine.

http://www.drafttek.com/2015-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Cornerbacks-2015-Draft.asp

Ha...they need to call me then....Ill set em straight....:)

Really....even on their board(and Im not crazy about their CB rankings) he's rising pretty fast....but, yes, most boards have him at 3rd round or later right now....

CB's are getting specialized(just like WR's and everything else) and a lot of teams are looking for a certain type now....and he's one of just a few that have that desirable combination of athleticism with length & speed .....and after hitting all the marks at the combine, Im just betting someone will fall in love with his upside and take a swing....

The events of the weekend might not bode well at all for the Ravens, who were hoping to keep Haloti Ngata and Lardarius Webb on team-friendly, cap-friendly new deals. Problem is, the corner market has absolutely exploded with Byron Maxwell set to get $10 million a year in Philly and Brandon Flowers and others getting $9 million per year already. Webb, though coming off an injury-plagued season, would be looking at a thin group of corners around him if on the street. And the Suh deal, and other defensive line deals to come, would only increase Ngata's position on the open market to get paid. I don't see him budging on his evaluation; if he hits the open market, the Colts and Browns would be strong suitors, from what I gather. Could he push $10 million in the first year of a new deal?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25098968/dolphins-spend-for-suh-but-will-there-be-any-money-left-for-tannehill

Very interesting article on the Browns FA/Draft overall strategy. If true then do not expect many FA signings now. More likely looking at cuts from teams during training camp and compensatory draft picks in 2016.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=42931

"Said another league source, “The only negative is if the guys who are scheduled free agents hitting the market right now, you have to stay out of this market if you want to maximize your compensatory picks. You’re passing up a group of players, probably overpaid, but definitely some solid guys, to maximize compensatory picks.”

Interesting read, Ag... When compensatory picks were added to the Draft Sims last year they really changed the flow of the picks. However, in real life they did not impact the Browns' draft since we traded away every pick past Rnd 4...

The events of the weekend might not bode well at all for the Ravens, who were hoping to keep Haloti Ngata

Not sure why, but for some reason I keep forgetting about Ngata being out there... Maybe it was Suh's shadow...

Bills are about to resign Jerry Hughes

Sorry to see that... hope it's just twitter shit...

EDIT: ... and it's a done deal...

"The Buffalo Bills and defensive end Jerry Hughes have agreed on a five-year deal worth more than $45 million, a source confirmed to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12447437/buffalo-bills-keep-jerry-hughes-45m-deal

McPhee is one im very glad we passed on.....a system player that will remain invisible, even with that new contract.....

Invisibility would explain my need to google...

It's like watching the clock run down on ebay...

Who is the better "sniper", HOU or NYJ?

I say Houston.....dont think Brians skin is thick enough to play in New York.....talk about dealing with tough fans, wicked press, etc

Archived