THE BROWNS BOARD

2x Australian Rugby MVP wants a shot at the NFL

Tudeski

and let me clarify my statements on Rugby or aussie league whatever, it all looks the same to me. In no way shape or form did I intend to come off like Rugby isn't it physical...oh hell it is. In fact Rugby players are probably in better overall shape than 60-70% of the NFL. They have to be, it's a completely different game. I still stand behind my lateral remark. In none of those video's that I looked at does rugby or aussie league look remotely as North/South as the NFL. Not even close. Only NFL WR'ers though come close to covering as much distance per time over the course of a game than Rugby players do. But because Rugby players are constantly moving they don't bring the same impact at the point of attack that players who burst for 10 seconds and rest for 45. They don't...period. If NFL players played without helmets the season wouldn't last 2 weeks....if they played like they do now. The game of football would look vastly different if it were played as upright as Rugby. It wouldn't look right at all. For those of you that watch Rugby would you like the play to be halted every 10 or so seconds for 45 seconds? No...wouldn't look right for that game.

Look toughness wise obviously this Hayne kid could play. Probably be durable as fuck too. That's not the issue. But there would be a learning curve as players would be coming at him differently...different angles, different speeds. They physics changes when you put pads and a helmet on. That isn't a cut on Rugby and I get really irritated when they act butthurt about this subject. I have aussie and kiwi friends who I play an online game with from time to time and we chat on coms this subject comes up probably 2-3 times a month and they always act like Americans are pussy's for wearing helmets blah blah. They don't get the difference in physics between a 300lb man crashing his nog into you vs someone in the low 200's. One of Hayne's biggest hurdles would be adjusting to the fact that while he would be able to outrun a lot of front 7 guys to the sidelines, the first time he turns upfield and a 300lb lineman hits him moving at similar speeds that he's used to guys his size coming at him....he's not gonna know where he is for a moment or two. Those same 300lb lineman wouldn't hang on a Rugby field for more than a minute before they started walking...than obviously their force is diminished. But on a football field where they've tailored their metabolic conditioning to produce tremendous amount of force for a short period of time, they would annihilate Rugby players who aren't ready for that.

Well, also....as has been explained to me by Howie and others.....in Rugby there is no such thing as Blocking. Apparently you are not allowed to hit a guy who does not have the ball...be it the offense or defense. And we know that in football on any given play there can be at least 9 or 10 guys hitting each other full blast. So there is that difference in terms of physicality.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rugby is utter shit so the less it infects the NFL and indeed, my life, the better.

Well since it gave birth to the game we love, I'm not going to get too down on rugby.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/birth-of-north-american-football-137-years

Aussie Rules players can all kick...

Equally well?

And didn't we plow this field months ago about your guy trying to become a NFL RB? Or is this just a(nother) misguided Deja vu moment for me?

Well, also....as has been explained to me by Howie and others.....in Rugby there is no such thing as Blocking. Apparently you are not allowed to hit a guy who does not have the ball...be it the offense or defense. And we know that in football on any given play there can be at least 9 or 10 guys hitting each other full blast. So there is that difference in terms of physicality.

This is true, ball carrier and rucks/scrums aside, it's essentially non-contact. But then, you can only have serious blocking when everybody knows what they're doing, so set plays are required. When the game doesn't stop like in rugby, it's not possible.

And didn't we plow this field months ago about your guy trying to become a NFL RB? Or is this just a(nother) misguided Deja vu moment for me?

I thought so.

This is true, ball carrier and rucks/scrums aside, it's essentially non-contact. But then, you can only have serious blocking when everybody knows what they're doing, so set plays are required. When the game doesn't stop like in rugby, it's not possible.

Of course it would be possible to have blocking in rugby if the rules allow.....if your teammate has the ball you just knock the guys on the other team who could possibly tackle your teammate on their asses. No set play is required for that. I mean, anyone that has played backyard or street football....where there are no set plays, knows that. I got a zipper on my knee to prove it.

This has "cheesy Disney film" written all over it. A team thats lobbied by the Disney Corporation will sign him for 1 season just so Disney can rake in the dough with a "Based on a True Story" inspiring film starring Jon Hamm as Jarryd.

Disney actually gave Jarryd the 4 million dollars left on his contract to leave the Parramatta Eels, I love it :P

• 2 months later...

What's the over/ under on him lateralling at some point during his first return?

The general response I see from americans watching rugby for the first time is along the lines of "that shit will destroy nfl teams if they try it"

The ball travels faster than the man, so once in a while it could be a great tactic.

The general response I see from americans watching rugby for the first time is along the lines of "that shit will destroy nfl teams if they try it"

The ball travels faster than the man, so once in a while it could be a great tactic.

Rugby players never have to block. That will be a more important task for him to learn than running the ball.

Rugby players never have to block. That will be a more important task for him to learn than running the ball.

Agree, if he wants to become even a part-time RB. But as a punt returner, he could make an instant impact.

... or instantly impacted.

The interesting thing will be when he gets really popped NFL style. While I know there's hitting in rugby, and in no way question the toughness of rugby players, my impression is that the biggest hits are inadvertent. There's a sense of unprotected, self-preservation that ameliorates the impacts.

Whereas in the NFL the biggest hits are purposeful thanks in large part to the equipment... and the "culture".

... or instantly impacted.

The interesting thing will be when he gets really popped NFL style. While I know there's hitting in rugby, and in no way question the toughness of rugby players, my impression is that the biggest hits are inadvertent. There's a sense of unprotected, self-preservation that ameliorates the impacts.

Whereas in the NFL the biggest hits are purposeful thanks in large part to the equipment... and the "culture".

Uh huh...ever play a game of rugby?

• 5 months later...

Adrian Peterson runs just as high though doesn't he?

Hayne also runs the same 40 as him, same height, and is 5 pounds heavier.

If he doesn't make the list, I'd kill to see him work with our O-line/special teams.

If rugby actually was as useless as most fans on this thread have suggested, NFL teams wouldn't be "switching" to rugby-style tackling in order to ensure that D misses 0% of open-field tackles. This guy has the ability to nearly immediately be a nickel/dime CB on most teams.. not the Browns who have a top 3 [if not #1] DB in the league.

On average, rugby hitting [from the D to an opposing player on offense] is the same if not harder than football hitting.. because when you include in the average each time a football player lays out and whiffs, remember that the rugby player does not miss that tackle.

A rugby player with no experience would probably start out as a special teams contributor. Ohio State had a player drafted in 2012 [Nate Ebner] who's a similar physical specimen for the Patriots. He's still earning a spot on the gameday 53 - he played in the last SB.

I watched the game... had a gapping hole on his long run.

He did not look that fast, but did seem to have very good "field vision". Minus I saw was that he swapped football from arm to arm often and for no apparent reason other than perhaps his right arm is his favorite.

Reminded me a bit of Peyton Hillis... the good Peyton Hillis.

Archived