THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Wallace

Thomaspro

If H&H wanted Wallace, he can still be bought from Pittsburgh. It will cost the Browns more than 1 first round draft choice however, plus whatever contract Wallace would find acceptable (if you want to keep him long term). Another team may get Wallace for a 1st rounder, but an interdivisional foe stands no chance at such an offer, even though you are probably offering a top 10 pick in 2013.

The premise of this subject was more realistic prior to the RFA signing deadline. As unhappy as Wallace may be, he really has no options. I expect the Steelers to place a franchise tag on him next year. So basically if your team wants Wallace, be prepared to pay the Steelers a high price. H&H don't strike me as management who are willing to pay that type of price.

Pretty sure you're wrong here and what Silverback said is accurate. He either signs with the Steelers at the 2.7M tender or plays for "peanuts" and then gets franchised if they decide to go that route. I personally don't believe it comes to that as they want to lock him up with a respectable deal and then resign Brown next off season. Two moves that will sure up their receiving corp for a long, long time. The first round compensation situation went out the window before the draft.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be explicitly clear on this.

Yes, PIT can reduce Wallace's tender from $2.742 million to $577,500, but they have said that they will not do that to him.

The Steelers don't screw people over to make them unhappy.

If I were Wallace, I would play-out the year and then try to get picked up by a team with an A-list QB and passing game (NE, GB, SD, NO, DEN, CIN, DET)

Speed is the first thing that these guys lose with age but Wallace is good enough to continue in the NFL after he is no longer fast.

But yes, as Silverback wrote, Wallace does "face the risk" of being franchised for another season.

But being, "franchised" is not a bad paycheck.

It's hard to shed too many tears for these guys.

I don't blame Wallace AT ALL for not signing his tender but believe it he has too he will. Why run the risk of injuring himself and eliminating his chances of getting a nice contract? The Steelers don't want him to do that either as you already mentioned. Additionally are you implying Ben isn't an "A list" qb? If so that's hysterical. As far as the tears are concerned with the players aren't making the money the owners are and while i love the Rooney's I'd rather the money be spent on the field. I have zero issue with the amount professional athletes are paid. Good teams also bring a ton of money to their respective cities during the playoffs etc.

I don't blame Wallace AT ALL for not signing his tender but believe it he has too he will. Why run the risk of injuring himself and eliminating his chances of getting a nice contract? The Steelers don't want him to do that either as you already mentioned. Additionally are you implying Ben isn't an "A list" qb? If so that's hysterical. As far as the tears are concerned with the players aren't making the money the owners are and while i love the Rooney's I'd rather the money be spent on the field. I have zero issue with the amount professional athletes are paid. Good teams also bring a ton of money to their respective cities during the playoffs etc.

Arguing with a fellow yinzer? Does that make you a troll flaming another troll? Or a flamer trolling for a flamer?

I don't know who to call: Billy Goat's Gruff or the fire department.

Arguing with a fellow yinzer? Does that make you a troll flaming another troll? Or a flamer trolling for a flamer?

I don't know who to call: Billy Goat's Gruff or the fire department.

lol.

Hey he's wrong. I don't care if he's a Steeler fan. I only seek the TRUTH! (Billy Goat's gruff had me rolling by the way.) You aren't so bad after all Giptastic. (My new name for you by the way. I'd like to make a semi-formal request to the mods for that name change, please and thank you.)

Pretty sure you're wrong here and what Silverback said is accurate. He either signs with the Steelers at the 2.7M tender or plays for "peanuts" and then gets franchised if they decide to go that route. I personally don't believe it comes to that as they want to lock him up with a respectable deal and then resign Brown next off season. Two moves that will sure up their receiving corp for a long, long time. The first round compensation situation went out the window before the draft.

I may be wrong here but i think what he was trying to say was to do a sign and trade type of deal. (Not sure even if this could be done at this time of year) Where shittsburg signs him to a deal that he'd worked out with the browns, then trade him to CLE. for future draft picks. I could be wrong but i think thats what he was tryin to get at.

I may be wrong here but i think what he was trying to say was to do a sign and trade type of deal. (Not sure even if this could be done at this time of year) Where shittsburg signs him to a deal that he'd worked out with the browns, then trade him to CLE. for future draft picks. I could be wrong but i think thats what he was tryin to get at.

I don't think so but that could be what he meant. I took it as he thought the first round tender still applied and it doesn't, at least not as far as going to another team. The ball is 100% in the Steelers court. If he doesn't sign by a certain date he'll have to sign for 577k and still runs the risk of getting a franchise tag next season. If he's smart he'll continue to play the card he's playing now until they get closer to a respectable market value deal for a number 1 guy. He deserves that kind of money honestly. If he continues to play hardball to the point where he'll have to sign for 577k he's going to hurt himself in the long run.

sorry....i see no possible way the steelers can or will tag him next year. this years tag was 9.4 mil....so even if it drops to 9 mil for some reason, the cap issues that were pushed out till next year will rear an even uglier head than this year. i've looked at the LB corps, ben, and brown in sufficient detail. suffice to say, it will either take at least 10 of the largest contracts to restructure (again, kicking the can down the street), letting brown walk (great for us), and trimming the rest of the overage fat thats still hanging around. so, dont act like its a done deal. you can't keep restructuring indefinitely, or you end up with a ton of dead money. its superbowl or bust for the steelers this year, then they gotta retool with the younger guys. khan may seem like a cap genius, but there really is some looming contract issues that he's been stalling on addressing.

its the little known secret in pitt sports.....khan really has no idea whats he's doing in the long run.

How the fuck do you go from YOU ALL to YINZ?

It is sort of the same thing, except in Pittsboigese.

As I see it, the term can be either a noun or a pronoun.

As a pronoun, it is simply used in place of the term "you". As in "Why didn't yinz take out the garbage like yinz was supposed to".

As a noun, it is actually more or less a replacement for "Pittsburgher" which is itself a kind of fucked up word to say. But by saying "All of Yinz", you are referring to the population of western PA.

To say "I'm a Yinzer" means I am from Pittsburgh.

We might say "I'm a Clevelander" or "I'm from the North Coast", or "I am a NEOpolitan" which is a new term I have heard for people from NorthEast Ohio.

sorry....i see no possible way the steelers can or will tag him next year. this years tag was 9.4 mil....so even if it drops to 9 mil for some reason, the cap issues that were pushed out till next year will rear an even uglier head than this year. i've looked at the LB corps, ben, and brown in sufficient detail. suffice to say, it will either take at least 10 of the largest contracts to restructure (again, kicking the can down the street), letting brown walk (great for us), and trimming the rest of the overage fat thats still hanging around. so, dont act like its a done deal. you can't keep restructuring indefinitely, or you end up with a ton of dead money. its superbowl or bust for the steelers this year, then they gotta retool with the younger guys. khan may seem like a cap genius, but there really is some looming contract issues that he's been stalling on addressing.

its the little known secret in pitt sports.....khan really has no idea whats he's doing in the long run.

You're dead wrong on Omar Khan for one. He's been doing what he's doing for a long time and as a result I'm not worried about the cap. Things could 100% get a bit hairy but I expect Wallace to sign before the season starts and Brown to get extended when his time comes as well. I haven't heard ANYONE say it's "Super Bowl or bust" this year for the Steelers. They also draft far to well for the occasional tough cut (Farrior, Ward, Smith) to really harm the team. I 100% expect to see the restructures again if that ends up being necessary. Players WANT to play for the Steelers because they take care of their own, run a family type organization and win. Your little known secret is the first I've heard about it. He also only manages the cap for the Steelers so "Pitt sports" doesn't really apply.

EDIT: HOWEVER I'd have to be a bit delusional to assume playing as tight to the cap as we are right now may not become a problem. The cap does raise and players do get old. Hampton will likely be gone after this season unless he signs A VERY nice contract. He already took a flat out pay cut. Bottom line I'm not worried about the Steelers.

Why should'nt H&H sign him to a large contract, 8 years 50 million 20 mill guaranteed. Make the Steelers match or we get him and give up our first rounder next year? The guy is a stud and he could be the 1 receiver we are missing on offense who could grow with Weeden and Richardson. Don't crucify me, I am just coming up with some topics to discuss since things are slow this time of year.

Thomaspro

Too late for anyone else to sign him. He either signs tender or sits out. Steeler problem is that Brown is a RFA next year.

You're dead wrong on Omar Khan for one. He's been doing what he's doing for a long time and as a result I'm not worried about the cap. Things could 100% get a bit hairy but I expect Wallace to sign before the season starts and Brown to get extended when his time comes as well. I haven't heard ANYONE say it's "Super Bowl or bust" this year for the Steelers. They also draft far to well for the occasional tough cut (Farrior, Ward, Smith) to really harm the team. I 100% expect to see the restructures again if that ends up being necessary. Players WANT to play for the Steelers because they take care of their own, run a family type organization and win. Your little known secret is the first I've heard about it. He also only manages the cap for the Steelers so "Pitt sports" doesn't really apply.

EDIT: HOWEVER I'd have to be a bit delusional to assume playing as tight to the cap as we are right now may not become a problem. The cap does raise and players do get old. Hampton will likely be gone after this season unless he signs A VERY nice contract. He already took a flat out pay cut. Bottom line I'm not worried about the Steelers.

i suspect if you really understood what khans doing, you'd be a bit concerned. however, this really does illustrate my only real issue with steeler fans.

you assume that since things have been going good, they will continue.if you could just keep kicking the can down the road and everything would be fine, why isn't this practice more widely used? there's one here or there, but it seems the steelers rely on this tactic every year just to keep the core team together. colbert, having made several bad contract deals and subsequently overspending, has to rely on fuzzy math by khan. this cannot continue, which is why i said SB or bust. its fine to assume some contracts will be terminated, while at the same time, others will be signed. but this current team has one maybe 2 more years before the major purge and retooling.

honestly, im not surprised your not worried. you live in a vacuum, and not everyone can grasp the cap, or even care. but if you think what khan doing is sustainable, you're in for a rude awakening.

have a read....

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02/understanding-contract-restructures-pay-cuts-in-relation-to-the-steelers-salary-cap/

in a nutshell, your converting salary to signing bonus. signing bonus get prorated over the life of the contract, even if the contract is terminated. point being, you are reserving greater and greater amount of future cap to get under the current cap, while restricting the amount you have available for new contracts. also, all those pro-rated bonus escalate when the contract is terminated....so if one of those players goes down, or gets cut, you still own that money regardless.

so why wouldn't players flock to khans office? they get money guaranteed to be paid years later up front. less risk due to injury, more money now.

i suspect if you really understood what khans doing, you'd be a bit concerned. however, this really does illustrate my only real issue with steeler fans.

you assume that since things have been going good, they will continue.if you could just keep kicking the can down the road and everything would be fine, why isn't this practice more widely used? there's one here or there, but it seems the steelers rely on this tactic every year just to keep the core team together. colbert, having made several bad contract deals and subsequently overspending, has to rely on fuzzy math by khan. this cannot continue, which is why i said SB or bust. its fine to assume some contracts will be terminated, while at the same time, others will be signed. but this current team has one maybe 2 more years before the major purge and retooling.

honestly, im not surprised your not worried. you live in a vacuum, and not everyone can grasp the cap, or even care. but if you think what khan doing is sustainable, you're in for a rude awakening.

have a read....

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02/understanding-contract-restructures-pay-cuts-in-relation-to-the-steelers-salary-cap/

in a nutshell, your converting salary to signing bonus. signing bonus get prorated over the life of the contract, even if the contract is terminated. point being, you are reserving greater and greater amount of future cap to get under the current cap, while restricting the amount you have available for new contracts. also, all those pro-rated bonus escalate when the contract is terminated....so if one of those players goes down, or gets cut, you still own that money regardless.

so why wouldn't players flock to khans office? they get money guaranteed to be paid years later up front. less risk due to injury, more money now.

I don't understand what he's doing? It's pretty damn clear and when necessary the tough cuts will be made. (Farrior, Smith, Ward) Do you really think the Rooney's would allow Khan to run the team in to the ground? for the sake of winning now and enduring a extended period of rebuilding? It's just not going to happen, they're also restructuring because they were asked to restructure. It's really a matter of you trying to "sleep better at night",

I don't understand what he's doing? It's pretty damn clear and when necessary the tough cuts will be made. (Farrior, Smith, Ward) Do you really think the Rooney's would allow Khan to run the team in to the ground? for the sake of winning now and enduring a extended period of rebuilding? It's just not going to happen, they're also restructuring because they were asked to restructure. It's really a matter of you trying to "sleep better at night",

It sounds like you're just trying to convince yourself.

Teams have to rebuild, you won't be on top forever.

Every dawg has his day. Our will come soon enough, and you can rest assured knowing that we'll have four times the class as the rest of the Stooler fan base when it's our day to shine.

Restructuring is necessary because of cap mismanagement. Its a loophole left in with consequence. easy to dismiss it when u don't understand it.

How about Woodley had a couple of fantastic seasons, Timmons has a terrific season before being moved outside and inside and back outside to cover injuries and his played suffered. Seasons worthy of "respectable contracts" and then they had guys like Wallace and Brown burst on to the scene requiring restructures. Harrison isn't going to be going for a hell of a lot longer, Keisel, Hampton, Ike Taylor isn't getting any younger and the same can be said for Clark and even Troy. The guys restructuring are going that route to keep the younger talented guys around. Hampton on the other hand didn't even restructure, he just took a flat out pay cut. You also have to be kidding Couch about having "4 times the amount of class" as I expect it to be 4 times as bad if that day ever comes. The Steelers continue to draft in phenomenal fashion. The fall from grace will come when that stops.

How about Woodley had a couple of fantastic seasons, Timmons has a terrific season before being moved outside and inside and back outside to cover injuries and his played suffered. Seasons worthy of "respectable contracts" and then they had guys like Wallace and Brown burst on to the scene requiring restructures. Harrison isn't going to be going for a hell of a lot longer, Keisel, Hampton, Ike Taylor isn't getting any younger and the same can be said for Clark and even Troy. The guys restructuring are going that route to keep the younger talented guys around. Hampton on the other hand didn't even restructure, he just took a flat out pay cut. You also have to be kidding Couch about having "4 times the amount of class" as I expect it to be 4 times as bad if that day ever comes. The Steelers continue to draft in phenomenal fashion. The fall from grace will come when that stops.

It's funny. I live in the south, where nobody gives a shit about the Browns or the Steelers or any team in the north for that matter, yet whenever someone sees a trash person acting a fool, the popular saying around here is "I'll bet you twenty bucks that's a Steeler fan."

I shit you not. I'm not saying this because of my bias, that is the honest to God truth.

Steeler fans are considered diarrhea people nationwide, no matter where your allegiances may fall. So to assume that any fan base would act worse than a Stooler fan is flat out ridiculous.

It's funny. I live in the south, where nobody gives a shit about the Browns or the Steelers or any team in the north for that matter, yet whenever someone sees a trash person acting a fool, the popular saying around here is "I'll bet you twenty bucks that's a Steeler fan."

I shit you not. I'm not saying this because of my bias, that is the honest to God truth.

Steeler fans are considered diarrhea people nationwide, no matter where your allegiances may fall. So to assume that any fan base would act worse than a Stooler fan is flat out ridiculous.

In the South where? Texas?

South Carolina.

you are completely full of shit. there is just nothing else to say. i've lived in the south for many years in many different states and have family all throughout N. and S. Carolina............i have never heard anyone just generally trashing the Steelers or their fans, and sure as shit have never heard any saying that has to do with attributing people acting in an unfit manner as acting like Steeler fans.

unless you're simply talking about the trailer park that you and the rest of your inbred family clan have taken over, you're doing nothing but talking from your ass.

you are completely full of shit. there is just nothing else to say. i've lived in the south for many years in many different states and have family all throughout N. and S. Carolina............i have never heard anyone just generally trashing the Steelers or their fans, and sure as shit have never heard any saying that has to do with attributing people acting in an unfit manner as acting like Steeler fans.

unless you're simply talking about the trailer park that you and the rest of your inbred family clan have taken over, you're doing nothing but talking from your ass.

The fact that you have never heard that saying before, seeing as how "supposedly" have all this family in South and North Carolina means you either:

A) are full of shit

B) rarely leave your backwoods, inbred farm

or

C) choose to ignore anything that paint the Stoolers unfavorably.

Judging by your responses as of late, I'm going to go with

D) all of the above

I've been at work two hours and have already heard it uttered about a fat guy trying unsuccessfully to grind on a bachelorette.

The fact that you have never heard that saying before, seeing as how "supposedly" have all this family in South and North Carolina means you either:

A) are full of shit

B) rarely leave your backwoods, inbred farm

or

C) choose to ignore anything that paint the Stoolers unfavorably.

Judging by your responses as of late, I'm going to go with

D) all of the above

I've been at work two hours and have already heard it uttered about a fat guy trying unsuccessfully to grind on a bachelorette.

sorry, but you're just full of shit.

what you're saying is just not true. you can repeat it as many times as you like, you may give as many false examples as you like..............but you're still lying or mistaken.

I also think you're full of sh.it Couch. It may be something you hear and say in your own office but there is zero reason for anyone in North Carolina/South Carolina to stereotype in that manner about the Steelers. If you said Dallas, Baltimore, Cincy, Cleveland or even Oakland I'd buy it because there is a reason to dislike the Steelers. North Carolina not so much and even then I couldn't begin to give a sh.it. The 6 shiny lombardi's have a way of soothing the soul.

there's also the most obvious reason...............cleveland fans think about the Steelers as much, if not more, than the browns.

it's true, i have quite a few friends that are clown fans and more often than not they're aren't talking about this or that player new to the team, they're talking about the Steelers.....how much of scumbags they and their fans are, how they are about to drop off, how the fanbase isnt as good as cleveland's........but the short and long of it is that they are ALWAYS talking about the Steelers.

no other fanbase ANYWHERE does that with another city's team. so unless you somehow live in some god forsaken cleveland browns fan commune somewhere in the carolinas then you are simply full of it.

there's also the most obvious reason...............cleveland fans think about the Steelers as much, if not more, than the browns.

it's true, i have quite a few friends that are clown fans and more often than not they're aren't talking about this or that player new to the team, they're talking about the Steelers.....how much of scumbags they and their fans are, how they are about to drop off, how the fanbase isnt as good as cleveland's........but the short and long of it is that they are ALWAYS talking about the Steelers.

no other fanbase ANYWHERE does that with another city's team. so unless you somehow live in some god forsaken cleveland browns fan commune somewhere in the carolinas then you are simply full of it.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that yinz all end up moving down here and try (more often than not, unsuccessfully) to open up shitbag Steeler bars and restaurants loaded with cheap "Steeler memorabilia" bought at a flea market. You can't walk ten feet without seeing a boarded-up bar with a "You're in Steeler country" flag on the awning.

I'm sure it also has nothing to do with the fact that all the white trash, ghetto bastard locals attached themselves to the Steelers after watching their QB win a Super Bowl and then subsequently rape some women. Once they realized they had something in common with an NFL QB, they slapped a "#1 Steeler fan" bumper sticker on their 92 Mustangs and proceeded to spin their piss colored towels while simultaneously adding even more drug related felonies to their "long" list of accomplishments.

Outside of the "older" generation- the ones that remember the Steel Curtain and cared about the Stools when a QB not named Roethlisberger was taking snaps, your fan base is a bandwagoner filled joke. Give me a guy in a tall tee with Retarded forearm tattoos waving a Terrible Towel while screaming "Black and Yellow, baby!" and I'll show you a future Green Bay Packers fan.

I'm sorry that I have absolutely no respect for your fan base as a whole, but neither does most of the American population. Whether or not you want to admit, your fan base is the laughingstock of the NFL. It has nothing to do with the team itself, because I have nothing but respect for what they've done and how they've maintained success for the last 20-30 years, but you have to realize by now that there's not one group of NFL fans that is more universally disdained than Steeler fans (except maybe Patriot fans, which is another story in the same book).

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that yinz all end up moving down here and try (more often than not, unsuccessfully) to open up shitbag Steeler bars and restaurants loaded with cheap "Steeler memorabilia" bought at a flea market. You can't walk ten feet without seeing a boarded-up bar with a "You're in Steeler country" flag on the awning.

I'm sure it also has nothing to do with the fact that all the white trash, ghetto bastard locals attached themselves to the Steelers after watching their QB win a Super Bowl and then subsequently rape some women. Once they realized they had something in common with an NFL QB, they slapped a "#1 Steeler fan" bumper sticker on their 92 Mustangs and proceeded to spin their piss colored towels while simultaneously adding even more drug related felonies to their "long" list of accomplishments.

Outside of the "older" generation- the ones that remember the Steel Curtain and cared about the Stools when a QB not named Roethlisberger was taking snaps, your fan base is a bandwagoner filled joke. Give me a guy in a tall tee with Retarded forearm tattoos waving a Terrible Towel while screaming "Black and Yellow, baby!" and I'll show you a future Green Bay Packers fan.

I'm sorry that I have absolutely no respect for your fan base as a whole, but neither does most of the American population. Whether or not you want to admit, your fan base is the laughingstock of the NFL. It has nothing to do with the team itself, because I have nothing but respect for what they've done and how they've maintained success for the last 20-30 years, but you have to realize by now that there's not one group of NFL fans that is more universally disdained than Steeler fans (except maybe Patriot fans, which is another story in the same book).

lmao

You've gotta be kidding me. The behavior occurs in every lopsided rivalry. To insinuate otherwise proves just how arrogant and unintelligent you, and by association your fanbase, is.

Don't flatter yourself.

Archived