THE BROWNS BOARD

Players to watch for because, analytics

LondonBrown

Here are the top rated players at each position from an analytics/metrics based guide I have. Of course this is before film comes into play so pinches of salt required but as a starting point I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns have some of these names highly.

Some surprises at some positions....

QB

Deshaun Watson

Sefo Lifau

Trubisky (with a strong caveat on his sample size)

No others are worth including due to score

RB

Jeremy McNichols

D'onta Foreman

Brian Hill

Christian McCaffrey

Aaron Jones/Cook/Perrine/Conner have equal score

WR

Chris Godwin

Curtis Samuel

Juju Smith-Schuster - All three have the same top score

Robert Davis

Zay Jones

TE

OJ Howard

David N'joku

Bucky Hodges - again equal score for the above three

Evan Engram

Jonnu Smith

OG

Ben Branden

Dion Dawkins

Taylor Moton

OT

Dion Dawkins (different metrics used for G and T)

JP Flynn

Taylor Moton

Edge

Jordan Willis

Sol Thomas and JJ Watt equal

Tyus Bowser

Haason Reddick

NB - Garrett doesn't meet a couple of numbers the above guys do but it's noted he has a near perfect elite profile in the other areas

DT

Sol Thomas (rated even higher here than at edge)

Malik McDowell

Charles Walker

Larry Ogunjobi

Montravius Adams

LB

Blair Brown

Jarrod Davis

Calvin Munson

Haason Reddick

Rarkwon McMillian

CB

Chidobe Awuzie

Kevin King

Marlon Humphrey

Fabian Moreau

Gareon Conley

S

Jamal Adams

Chidobe Awuzie (graded higher here than CB)

Xavier Woods

Chuck Clark/Marcus Williams/Obi Melifonwu/Nathan Gerry

Now, some notable names projected as potential busts due to their low scores

These two due to their score have a huge chance of being busts....

LB Reuben Foster (incredibly low score)

Safety Eddie Jackson

Below names not exactly bust town but around the 50% mark

CB Tankersley

Edge Taco Charlton

Edge Tim Williams

QB Deshone Kizer

TE George Kittle

WR Amarah Darboh

Safety Budda Baker

Safety Marcus Maye

DT Caleb Brantley

I wonder how budda baker ended up in the potential bust category. His tape is great, he's athletic, and he has production. Is it his size?

Should have explained I was the one that gave him the bust potential to his metric score being 50%, the actual write up is below

Metric Analysis: Budda Baker has a solid long-term starter profile. But he misses the mark in multiple quality thresholds. From below average explosiveness that doesnt meet the minimum Pro Bowl or All-Pro free safety level. To average solo tackle market share and below average interception market share. Baker will be a long-term starting safety, but he falls extremely short with the Earl Thomas, or even Tyrann Mathieu comparisons.

Projection: Backup to Long-term Starter

That seems pretty fair. He's not a ballhawk he's just good not elite at everything. Do they have a ranking for him at corner because it feels like he was in the slot half the time

I like this metric most of the players I like are in the stud group and only 1 is in the potential bust group.

Number of 'knew it" and a couple "WTF?" players. Some I just don't know...

The "knew its"...

• RB: Brian Hill (came late to him thanks to FirstPick), Christian McCaffrey (on his train two years ago)
  • WR: Chris Godwin (flashed at the Combine), Robert Davis (small school gem)
  • TE: OJ Howard (Duh...)
  • OG: Dion Dawkins (see below)
  • OT: Dion Dawkins (shone at Sr. Bowl)
  • DT: Montravius Adams (the big DT I kept going back to)
  • S: Marcus Williams (FS, found him when he was a 3rd round "steal")

The WTFs???

• OG: Ben Branden (cursory look gave no reason to look further)
  • Edge: Only Solomon Thomas and LBs need apply?
  • LB: Rakwon McMillian (don't see it...)

Here are the top rated players at each position from an analytics/metrics based guide I have. Of course this is before film comes into play so pinches of salt required but as a starting point I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns have some of these names highly.

Some surprises at some positions....

QB

Deshaun Watson

Sefo Lifau

Trubisky (with a strong caveat on his sample size)

No others are worth including due to score

RB

Jeremy McNichols

D'onta Foreman

Brian Hill

Christian McCaffrey

Aaron Jones/Cook/Perrine/Conner have equal score

WR

Chris Godwin

Curtis Samuel

Juju Smith-Schuster - All three have the same top score

Robert Davis

Zay Jones

TE

OJ Howard

David N'joku

Bucky Hodges - again equal score for the above three

Evan Engram

Jonnu Smith

OG

Ben Branden

Dion Dawkins

Taylor Moton

OT

Dion Dawkins (different metrics used for G and T)

JP Flynn

Taylor Moton

Edge

Jordan Willis

Sol Thomas and JJ Watt equal

Tyus Bowser

Haason Reddick

NB - Garrett doesn't meet a couple of numbers the above guys do but it's noted he has a near perfect elite profile in the other areas

Well, this sounds like an excuse for every guy that doesn't meet this metrics top. He's not good enough as a football player, but he is "elite" in other area? What: identifying Dinosaur bones.

It looks to me that none of the guys that are highly rated in other venues are included here., except for a few.

These guys have the Colorado QB up there with everyone else.

So, either they are right on....and that is why we have so many busts among high draft picks....because the drafters don't follow these metrics....or they are full of shit.

DT

Sol Thomas (rated even higher here than at edge)

Malik McDowell

Charles Walker

Larry Ogunjobi

Montravius Adams

LB

Blair Brown

Jarrod Davis

Calvin Munson

Haason Reddick

Rarkwon McMillian

CB

Chidobe Awuzie

Kevin King

Marlon Humphrey

Fabian Moreau

Gareon Conley

S

Jamal Adams

Chidobe Awuzie (graded higher here than CB)

Xavier Woods

Chuck Clark/Marcus Williams/Obi Melifonwu/Nathan Gerry

Metric Analysis: David Njoku is off in a few areas as a multiple All-Pro tight end. But his overall age,

athleticism, and production point toward a multiple Pro Bowl caliber tight end. And hes one of the

few tight ends to hit an All-Pro MSA rating over 80. All signs point toward great things for Njoku.

However, there are a few things off to make the claim that hes a truly generational talent.

Scheme Fit: H-Back

Projection: Long-term Starter to Pro Bowler

Metric Analysis: Jabrill Peppers has a very interesting data profile. Elite explosiveness and speed. With

elite solo tackle and pass deflection market share. But his interception market share is not Pro Bowl

level. In addition to not performing the short shuttle or 3-Cone to determine flexibility.

A common concern of many who watched Peppers film including myself. So, what do we have here?

We have an explosive speed athlete who is solid at making tackles and forcing dead plays with his pass

deflections. But may not have elite abilities to find and capitalize on the ball in the air. How he was

used can also play a role here.

However, I would say based on his profile and athletic abilities that are proven I would project as a

long-term free safety starter with a slight chance to become a Pro Bowl outlier due to age. He is a

unique player with a unique profile. But being unique is not necessarily a bad thing when you have

some elite qualities. It just means that the sum of all his parts are more likely to disappoint if you dont

start with low expectations.

Projection: Long-term Starter to Potential Pro Bowler

Peppers at FS... not seeing that, but certainly makes him a better team fit if he can handle it.

Njoku's youth may be as big an asset as anything. Blocking tech is pretty bad, but he seems willing.

Metric Analysis: Gerbil Peppers has a very interesting data profile. Elite explosiveness and speed. With

elite solo tackle and pass deflection market share. But his interception market share is not Pro Bowl

level. In addition to not performing the short shuttle or 3-Cone to determine flexibility.

A common concern of many who watched Peppers film including myself. So, what do we have here?

We have an explosive speed athlete who is solid at making tackles and forcing dead plays with his pass

deflections. But may not have elite abilities to find and capitalize on the ball in the air. How he was

used can also play a role here.

However, I would say based on his profile and athletic abilities that are proven I would project as a

long-term free safety starter with a slight chance to become a Pro Bowl outlier due to age. He is a

unique player with a unique profile. But being unique is not necessarily a bad thing when you have

some elite qualities. It just means that the sum of all his parts are more likely to disappoint if you dont

start with low expectations.

Projection: Long-term Starter to Potential Pro Bowler

I guess, if he can break up passes, and is a sure tackler...which you want from a strong safety, but his interception skills are weak, but also his punt/kick return skills are superlative, that should be satisfactory. We WILL be taking a CB and likely another safety before this draft is over....so they can do the intercepting.

... eventually some offense

Going in, RB still looks to be his best position... but I guess we now have 5 SS candidates...

Going in, RB still looks to be his best position... but I guess we now have 5 SS candidates...

You think none of these guys can play free safety? I agree that we need a free safety....and that we should get one with either 52 or 65.....but can no one else cover that spot? Either Powell or Kindred or Campbell?

Maybe Peppers CAN play some OLB. That is one of our prime areas of need...though I hope the Browns pick up a Tim Williams or Duke Riley or the like.

Myles Garrett SPARQ 149.3 NFL% 98.7, #1 of 160 EDGE

David Njoku SPARQ 142.4 NFL% 96.9, #2 of 94 TE

Jabril Peppers SPARQ 130.7 NFL% 89.1, #6 of 238 S

i would check out the top 10 of any spot in need and assume the browns will go after it. some of the Biggest needs we have currently are at CB and QB

CB

1. Kevin King

5. Chidobe Awuzie

8. Ahkello Witherspoon

QB

5. Joshua Dobbs
6. Antonio Pipkin
12. Davis Webb

Coincidentally or these are all QB's we had at the senior bowl.

Myles Garrett SPARQ 149.3 NFL% 98.7, #1 of 160 EDGE

David Njoku SPARQ 142.4 NFL% 96.9, #2 of 94 TE

Jabril Peppers SPARQ 130.7 NFL% 89.1, #6 of 238 S

i would check out the top 10 of any spot in need and assume the browns will go after it. some of the Biggest needs we have currently are at CB and QB

CB

1. Kevin King

5. Chidobe Awuzie

8. Ahkello Witherspoon

QB

5. Joshua Dobbs

6. Antonio Pipkin

12. Davis Webb

Coincidentally or these are all QB's we had at the senior bowl.

I'll take a chimichanga (or is that a chalupa?) @ #52, and maybe Dobbs at the bottom of the 5th. If the metrics say Kizer sucks, I'm right with them. I'm going to pass watching today, and hope that the Browns don't screw up.

People, the trades say this year is another dumpster dive for Darnold in 2018.

Archived