THE BROWNS BOARD

Kyle Sloter is our QB target

jcam222

I'm not sure which round we'd take him, but it wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if the Browns drafted Josh Dobbs, QB from Tennessee. Been hearing/reading that the Browns were way more impressed with him than with Davis Webb at the Senior Bowl. Now, Dobbs isn't a guy who will likely play in 2017, and that might be ok since we have Kessler and Brock backing him up. If we don't trade up from 12 to 5 or 6 to grab Trubisky, and we can't complete the trade for Garopolo, I see the Browns drafting Dobbs somewhere in rounds 2 or 3. He's raw, but the guy is literally studying to be a rocket scientist, and his athleticism is something Hue Jackson covets. His accuracy is definitely iffy, but man...some of the throws he can make are awesome. He's smart, he's totally clean off the field, and you know he's going to work hard. When asked about the difficulty of learning an NFL playbook, he said it would be nothing compared to his courses he took in college. I tend to believe him. Dane Brugler has a 6th round draft grade on Dobbs, but there's no way he gets drafted there. There will be a team that falls in love with him and takes him earlier than people might think.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's from Ohio and is white

I have an issue with this. I get the local allure but in all fairness Bernie was too. The difference is Bernie started leaps and bounds more college games than 13. Bernie was also a national champion at Miami. These traits in my mind made him ready for the burden of being a local kid.

Even Roethlisberger started more than 13 college games. I'm not saying Trubisky can't or won't be good. I'm just saying it's harder to believe he'll be better than a quarterback that's a national champion and was a 3 year starter. Not to say it's impossible but it's less than probable.

If the Browns wind up drafting Sloter... then this administration can pack it's bags now...

I have an issue with this. I get the local allure but in all fairness Bernie was too. The difference is Bernie started leaps and bounds more college games than 13. Bernie was also a national champion at Miami. These traits in my mind made him ready for the burden of being a local kid.

Even Roethlisberger started more than 13 college games. I'm not saying Trubisky can't or won't be good. I'm just saying it's harder to believe he'll be better than a quarterback that's a national champion and was a 3 year starter. Not to say it's impossible but it's less than probable.

Well then, we should have drafted Steve Walsh, and Geno Torretta, and Eric Crouch, and Tommy Frazier, and etc. etc. (oh, and we did draft Ken Dorsey, no?)

And See this article. Only Cam Newton had any kind of pro career:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1299419-bcs-winning-qbs-since-2000-few-have-had-nfl-success

Aside from these, Winston looks like a keeper in the pros, but otherwise you have AJ McCarron, Cardale Jones, and Jake Coker.

As I noted in a thread a while back, only 2 QBs have ever won a national title in college, and an NFL Championship (including go way back before the Super Bowl: Joe Namath, Joe Montana. And since his name is not Joe...then Watson has no chance of winning a Super Bowl....fair to say?

flat,800x800,075,f.u4.jpg

Well then, we should have drafted Steve Walsh, and Geno Torretta, and Eric Crouch, and Tommy Frazier, and etc. etc. (oh, and we did draft Ken Dorsey, no?)

And See this article. Only Cam Newton had any kind of pro career:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1299419-bcs-winning-qbs-since-2000-few-have-had-nfl-success

Aside from these, Winston looks like a keeper in the pros, but otherwise you have AJ McCarron, Cardale Jones, and Jake Coker.

As I noted in a thread a while back, only 2 QBs have ever won a national title in college, and an NFL Championship (including go way back before the Super Bowl: Joe Namath, Joe Montana. And since his name is not Joe...then Watson has no chance of winning a Super Bowl....fair to say?

Obviously it goes deeper than winning a national title. You also ignored the fact the he's started 13 college games. Funny you didn't touch the Bernie comparison either. Because in essence that is the relevant comparison. He'll immediately be cast into that deep shadow and expected to produce on a stage far bigger than 13 college starts can possibly prepare him for. But it's ok because he's a white guy and from Ohio? So I'm the illogical one....okey dokey

Obviously it goes deeper than winning a national title. You also ignored the fact the he's started 13 college games. Funny you didn't touch the Bernie comparison either. Because in essence that is the relevant comparison. He'll immediately be cast into that deep shadow and expected to produce on a stage far bigger than 13 college starts can possibly prepare him for. But it's ok because he's a white guy and from Ohio? So I'm the illogical one....okey dokey

Both for me and Gip that Trubisky is white and from Ohio has nothing to do with it. Congrats for bringing up (again) the primary knock on Mitch. It's about the only one, other than some minor footwork issues.

Geeze, back in 2007 I was the #1 board hatah on Brady Quinn. Yeah- white guy from Ohio and Browns fan. So you can stuff that as the primary reason we like Trubisky.

Both for me and Gip that Trubisky is white and from Ohio has nothing to do with it. Congrats for bringing up (again) the primary knock on Mitch. It's about the only one, other than some minor footwork issues.

Geeze, back in 2007 I was the #1 board hatah on Brady Quinn. Yeah- white guy from Ohio and Browns fan. So you can stuff that as the primary reason we like Trubisky.

No need to get all uppity. Just saying the race and Ohio connection don't strike me as a logical reasons to want a quarterback. Yeah he doesn't appear to have many knocks. Could it be because of a small sample size? Just throwing some possibilities out there.

Quite frankly Carson Wentz should be here and not Philadelphia thus making this Trubisky thing irrelevant. But I digress. From what I've seen of Trubisky, he might turn out to be really good. If the Browns pick him, I'm a fan of his automatically win, lose, or draw.

He wouldn't be my first choice. Then again, it's not my decision to make is it?

Thanks for a "football" answer to a football question Ghoolie. That's all I was really asking for.

If the Browns wind up drafting Sloter... then this administration can pack it's bags now...

at a late round pick? Why would that be? What damage does it do to draft a qb that

has skills for the NFL, to be drafted in the sixth round, with multiple picks in that round?

I'd love to give that kid a chance.

. He is far superior to slow witted, dim bulb Andrew Bad Luck.

Andrew Luck....slow witted dim bulb??....(Stanford Grad, photographic memory, called his own plays in college, super high wonderlik)

He may look like a caveman, but that is a hilarious comment coming from a Trubisky guy....(Non Graduate, cant remember the question, never called a play and average wonderlik)....

Lucks big toe is smarter.....

So when limp biscuit gets pummeled in the pros because you think he can handle it from day one I will laugh. If you say we should pick him because of his raw potential talent that he will be good once properly couched. I will laugh at you. If you neglect the browns are like a block of Swiss cheese and getting a rookie QB this will fix shit. I will laugh at you.

are you talking about sloter?

He won't start for a few years, won't play his first year.... He won't be that skinny in another year.

Could easily be on the practice squad the first year.

I think he could develop into a player, that's all.

I see the complete opposite. First of all he's 6th round to UDFA. Zero downside and if he is even a good backup it's a coup. Starter makes the staff geniuses.

So when limp biscuit gets pummeled in the pros because you think he can handle it from day one I will laugh. If you say we should pick him because of his raw potential talent that he will be good once properly couched. I will laugh at you. If you neglect the browns are like a block of Swiss cheese and getting a rookie QB this will fix shit. I will laugh at you.

You're allowed to hate Mitch all you want. BTW, I don't think I know which qb you like- if any. Garrett isn't going to turn this D into the 1986 Chicago Bears by himself. So we only need around 5 other pro bowl guys on that side of the ball.

You're allowed to hate Mitch all you want. BTW, I don't think I know which qb you like- if any. Garrett isn't going to turn this D into the 1986 Chicago Bears by himself. So we only need around 5 other pro bowl guys on that side of the ball.

Just add 3 including Garrett and two or three of our current players get the support they need to rise to pro bowl level play.

I think aggie has it. I don't want a QB this year. Really hoping to get our d set up for the next 3-4 years with this draft class. Next year is the year we sell the farm for one of the kids from LA

Thanks for a "football" answer to a football question Ghoolie. That's all I was really asking for.

Just because it lacked the customary cussing and throwing of his own feces, does not make it a "football answer".

Obviously it goes deeper than winning a national title. You also ignored the fact the he's started 13 college games.

I haven't ignored shit. I am fully aware of it.

Funny you didn't touch the Bernie comparison either. Because in essence that is the relevant comparison.

Why? Just because they both are from Ohio? Why didn't we compare Cardale Jones to Bernie? Charlie Frye? Ben Roeth.?

All y'all are the idiots stuck on the "he's from Ohio" thing. Not me.

He'll immediately be cast into that deep shadow and expected to produce on a stage far bigger than 13 college starts can possibly prepare him for.

Of course, that is a pure guess on your part. Beyond that, even if taken at #1...I would NOT expect him to start until mid season...at the minimum

But it's ok because he's a white guy and from Ohio? So I'm the illogical one....okey dokey

Clearly, yes, you are because all you see is a white guy from Ohio with 13 starts.

You don't, apparently, see his:

Talent

Quick release

Quick decision making

Accuracy

Touch

Abilility to read defenses

Mobility

etc. etc.

These are what I see.....and you see a white guy from Ohio with 13 starts.

Now? Who is illogical?

No need to get all uppity. Just saying the race and Ohio connection don't strike me as a logical reasons to want a quarterback.

Yet....clearly, apparently for YOU, they are logical reasons for NOT wanting a QB. Because that is ALL you see.

Are you a "reverse racist" ? You are coming off sounding like one.

Yeah he doesn't appear to have many knocks. Could it be because of a small sample size? Just throwing some possibilities out there.

Again, looking for the unknown "bad elements", when the known "good elements" are staring you smack in the face?

That answer has been given by me and others many, many times over. Did you miss those massive numbers of posts while you were only worried about his race?

No....a rookie QB won't fix shit, Sherlock. Beyond QB this team has a lot of work to do. But that QB could be the answer for the next decade when he has experience and is not a rookie.

Why are you so short sighted. Even if we take the DE #1....I don't think he makes much of a splash...if ever, until a couple of years into his career. He will initially get manhandled by NFL offensive linemen. Then, perhaps, he will learn some lessons that he can use in the long run.

One lesson he will learn right off is he ain't playing Prairie View any more.

Just add 3 including Garrett and two or three of our current players get the support they need to rise to pro bowl level play.

How about 3 plus Garrett. Need 2 pro bowl DBs....and either a pro bowl DT or OLB.

On the other hand...it seems to me the offense is in much better shape. We have a pretty set OL, and competent RBs.

Need really, in addition to that QB: another TE, and maybe another WR (and these could be Coleman/Britt...or one of the other rookies from last year if they step up).

We need 5 guys on defense...and only 1 or 2 others on offense (in addition to QB)

No....a rookie QB won't fix shit, Sherlock. Beyond QB this team has a lot of work to do. But that QB could be the answer for the next decade when he has experience and is not a rookie.

Why are you so short sighted. Even if we take the DE #1....I don't think he makes much of a splash...if ever, until a couple of years into his career. He will initially get manhandled by NFL offensive linemen. Then, perhaps, he will learn some lessons that he can use in the long run.

One lesson he will learn right off is he ain't playing Prairie View any more.

Gip

I know it takes a couple years for the average QB which he is. I don't want to waste a 1st round pick in one this year. We don't have the luxury like new England or the farve/Rogers situation.

We can have players this year that can play from opening day for the next few years.

I am okay with not picking a QB. Kessler is servicible and so is Ox. Trubinsky reminds me of Quinn. Quinn was a bust and had way more upside than limp biscuit

Gip

I know it takes a couple years for the average QB which he is. I don't want to waste a 1st round pick in one this year. We don't have the luxury like new England or the farve/Rogers situation.

WTF? Of course we have "the luxury". If this team were ready to contend, then perhaps we would not have the luxury. Where did you get the idea that this team was ready to compete for the playoffs THIS year?

The Browns are not like the 2003 Steelers, where they had a great defense in place, but all they needed was a QB to complete the package. If we were just a single defender...or even just a QB away from completing the package, that would be another matter. But the Browns are not there. So we are drafting a player for 2-3-4-5 years in the future.

We can have players this year that can play from opening day for the next few years.

Yes, for the next FEW years. But this year? It is NOT essential.

I am okay with not picking a QB. Kessler is servicible and so is Ox. Trubinsky reminds me of Quinn. Quinn was a bust and had way more upside than limp biscuit

Trubisky reminds me of Aaron Rodgers.

i just think you have no clue what you are looking at.

I see the complete opposite. First of all he's 6th round to UDFA. Zero downside and if he is even a good backup it's a coup. Starter makes the staff geniuses.

[/quote

I'm tired of 3rd rnd, 4th rnd projects

Again might be the best QB since Brady. I'd be more LIKELY to believe that with a larger sample size. However, I'll concede that what I did see are what you all are pounding the table over. As far as seeing all of your other posts regarding skillset

Here's another question for you why cut the part of my post where I said if the Browns pick him I'm automatically a fan of his win, lose, or draw? Is it really that serious to discredit or demonize someone that doesn't agree with you?

Because that part of the post was not something I was responding to. Simple as that. I only quoted the parts I was replying to. Why would I need to paste it if I am not going to reply to it. That statement spoke for itself.

marcus.... if it's any comfort, it's not just you.

Right. Its not just you. I don't quote any post that I don't have a reply to. Should I waste my time and yours doing so?

Should every statement you make that I agree with or have no opinion on be quoted by me?

Archived