THE BROWNS BOARD

Per Nfl.com: Browns Viewed Rg3 As "too Small"

Kerrigan91

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8299b497/article/report-browns-brass-called-robert-griffin-iii-too-small

The narrative is being written. Cleveland Browns first-round pick Brandon Weeden had "the look of a No. 1 quarterback" according to The Plain Dealer at Tuesday's minicamp. Weeden is the one meeting with the media after practice. Colt McCoy is an afterthought.

Weeden is being sold. The other options Cleveland had at quarterback this offseason are being discredited. Veteran beat writer Tony Grossi reports that the Browns only pursued Robert Griffin III "enough to say that they tried." Griffin was viewed as "too small" and "eager to show how fast he was."

The Browns didn't like Matt Flynn either: "No bigger than McCoy with a similarly popgun arm. He was never seriously considered."

Or Ryan Tannehill: "His maturity as a quarterback and field leader were so lacking that he turned them off in personal interviews. He didn’t project as a leader."

Now, before everyone starts with the "this is just a Redskins fan trying to gloat" - because I'm really not - what do you all think of this? I know if the Browns and Skins positions were switched and Snyder tried to argue something like this, the entire fanbase would collectively call shenanigans on him.

I believe what they're saying about Flynn or Tannehill, you guys were never really interested in those two. But trying to pass off that they were never really interested in RG3 seems like a bit of revisionist history - especially with how much Holmgren pushed the "Shanahan and Fischer are buddies" angle right after the trade went down.

Personally, I like Weeden over Tannehill and Flynn also, so you got the next best QB available, and I really think that he'll do well for you. It'll definitely help having a talent like Richardson behind him.

But trying to say that you were never interested in RG3? I gotta raise a flag at that.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I wanted to make the trade and I am sure Browns did too, I did have a lot of concern with is frame in this division.

I was afraid he would be beaten up and not able to take it physically. He liked to lay on the ground in college a lot and I never liked seeing that from him.

While I wanted to make the trade and I am sure Browns did too, I did have a lot of concern with is frame in this division.

He's got Aaron Rodgers's frame. Would you have the same concerns about him?

It's NFL.com quoting a beat writer who doesn't even mention who he got his info from or if its just his own personal thoughts. Don't read anything into the article.

+1.

But anyways... I'm happy we got Weeden and were able to fill some other glaring spots on the team. I'm not saying Weeden is better but he seems like a better fit for our team. I wasn't overly impressed with Griffin when RGIII to da CLE kept posting his highlights (which consisted of a TON of overthrows, bad scrambling, and some other poor things). It was the Oklahoma video that turned me off most from him. But I only saw the "highlights" of that one video.

Correction: He's got Aaron Rodgers' frame with Olive Oyl's legs. It looks like he's walking on toothpicks.

Um, what?

Robert-Griffin-III.jpg

Those are toothpicks?

Here's a comparison of Rodgers and Griffin:

Aaron-Rodgers.jpgrg3x-inset-community.jpg

:) with that picture- you want a quarterback, or Usain Bolt? Just kidding. The guy has muscle on top of muscles. Personally I think H&H have a serious case of sour grapes- revisionist history.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8299b497/article/report-browns-brass-called-robert-griffin-iii-too-small

Now, before everyone starts with the "this is just a Redskins fan trying to gloat" - because I'm really not - what do you all think of this? I know if the Browns and Skins positions were switched and Snyder tried to argue something like this, the entire fanbase would collectively call shenanigans on him.

I believe what they're saying about Flynn or Tannehill, you guys were never really interested in those two. But trying to pass off that they were never really interested in RG3 seems like a bit of revisionist history - especially with how much Holmgren pushed the "Shanahan and Fischer are buddies" angle right after the trade went down.

Personally, I like Weeden over Tannehill and Flynn also, so you got the next best QB available, and I really think that he'll do well for you. It'll definitely help having a talent like Richardson behind him.

But trying to say that you were never interested in RG3? I gotta raise a flag at that.

If you go back and look at my posts before the trade was made by the Redskins I said the very same thing: that I didn't think the Browns were all that interested in RGIII, particularly at the price that was being asked to move up to get him. I believed that the Browns felt that if RG was there at their #4 pick they may take him, but that they didn't like him well enough to pay an exorbitant price to move up to get him.

So, no. I actually buy it, because it was something I was selling.

He's got Aaron Rodgers's frame. Would you have the same concerns about him?

Yes. I would.

Stop coming in here and comparing RG3 to Aaron Rodgers/Brett Favre/who the fuck cares. The dude hasn't taken a snap yet, calm down. Just because he has the same "frame" as somebody doesn't mean jack shit.

He's also the same "frame" as John Beck, David Garrard and Cleo Lemon.

Smarter men than you or I have claimed to had an issue with his stature; putting pictures up of a combine workout doesn't change that. If he proves people wrong and goes Pro Bowl for the next 12 years, then that is fantastic and I feel legitimately excited for you and the Redskins organization. But I'm not expecting it, and I don't think many other people are either.

I said it before and I'll say it again: RG3 owes Cam Newton a huge thank you. Without Cam's stellar year, RG3 would not have gotten the deal he did or been picked where he was.

And for those of you claiming RG3 is the next Cam...I've got 4 inches, 30 lbs, and a National Championship earned in a much harder conference that says otherwise.

December 16th, Browns host the 'Skins. Hopefully RG3 & Weeden are healthy, and the game means something (especially for the Browns).

Aaron Rogers makes a living throwing the ball, RG3 will make a living running the ball. He WILL take a pounding, when's the last time Mike Vick stayed healthy? That's why his stature would be a concern, he's a running quarterback. Don't compare him to a pocket passer.

Um, no. He's a passer who has the ability to be a threat running. You can't compare him to Vick at all. If Vick's first option wasn't immediately available, he was tucking and running. Griffin is still looking to throw the ball after he breaks contain and only tucks it once he's past the line.

You say he'll make a living running the ball, but he's only called a "running QB" by people who don't know/haven't watched him. Am I saying he won't take a pounding? No. But he's far from a running QB. There's a reason he's called "The Arm" and not "The Legs"

Stop coming in here and comparing RG3 to Aaron Rodgers/Brett Favre/who the fuck cares. The dude hasn't taken a snap yet, calm down. Just because he has the same "frame" as somebody doesn't mean jack shit.

He's also the same "frame" as John Beck, David Garrard and Cleo Lemon.

I never compared RG3 to Rodgers or Favre. I said they're built the same way. So are Beck, Garrard, and Lemon. I never claimed he would be as good as Rodgers. Just that it's asinine to call RG3 "too small" if you wouldn't call Favre or Rodgers "too small".

And I wouldn't call Beck, Garrard, or Lemon "too small" either.

Um, no. He's a passer who has the ability to be a threat running. You can't compare him to Vick at all. If Vick's first option wasn't immediately available, he was tucking and running. Griffin is still looking to throw the ball after he breaks contain and only tucks it once he's past the line.

You say he'll make a living running the ball, but he's only called a "running QB" by people who don't know/haven't watched him. Am I saying he won't take a pounding? No. But he's far from a running QB. There's a reason he's called "The Arm" and not "The Legs"

For every two passing attempts he has one rushing attempt. Anybody would label that a running QB. Watch his tape, first reads covered, he's running. I don't make this stuff up.

I never compared RG3 to Rodgers or Favre. I said they're built the same way. So are Beck, Garrard, and Lemon. I never claimed he would be as good as Rodgers. Just that it's asinine to call RG3 "too small" if you wouldn't call Favre or Rodgers "too small".

And I wouldn't call Beck, Garrard, or Lemon "too small" either.

And that's the difference between you and nearly every scout covering the NFL.

I said it before and I'll say it again: RG3 owes Cam Newton a huge thank you. Without Cam's stellar year, RG3 would not have gotten the deal he did or been picked where he was.

And for those of you claiming RG3 is the next Cam...I've got 4 inches, 30 lbs, and a National Championship earned in a much harder conference that says otherwise.

ouch!!! :o :o :o

And that's the difference between you and nearly every scout covering the NFL.

No, not every scout - just Cleveland's.

There's a difference between "too small" and "too unable to play". Small is a reference to physical stature. If RG3 is "too small" to play in the NFL, so is Aaron Rodgers, David Garrard, Drew Brees, etc.

For every two passing attempts he has one rushing attempt. Anybody would label that a running QB. Watch his tape, first reads covered, he's running. I don't make this stuff up.

Griffin had more passing attempts his final year than Vick and Cam did their entire career, while he had fewer rushing attempts than Cam did in both their final years. A "running QB" doesn't throw for 4000 yards and 36 TDs in a season.

I'm not saying he doesn't run; he obviously does. But he's far from a "running QB".

In retrospect, not going all in on RG3 and walking away with Richardson and the Weedster and his big gun and obvious leadership skills was brilliant. I rooted hard to get Griffin because I wanted somebody who would put a bullet In this 13 year QB merry-go-round, but Weedster accomplishes that and, Oh by the way, we get the best RB prospect in years.

Coaches are already raving about Weedster, I'm happy as a pig in shit, don't care WHY we didn't throw in the extra nugget to secure Griffin, just glad we didn't.

Z

The idea that RG3 and Vick aren't comparable is asinine. Both play QB. Both are phenomenal athletes. Both run really fast. Both had stellar college careers. Both were taken within the first 2 picks in their respective drafts. Both, needless to say, came into the leauge with high expectations. Both are considered undersized compared to your prototypical QB. Frankly at this point in RG3's career, he should be honored to be compared to Vick considering RG3 has done absolutely nothing in the NFL. I was in favor of trading up for RG3 but lets not lose our grip on reality here. RG3 compares more to Vick then any other NFL QB past or present.

The idea that RG3 and Vick aren't comparable is asinine. Both play QB. Both are phenomenal athletes. Both run really fast. Both had stellar college careers. Both were taken within the first 2 picks in their respective drafts. Both, needless to say, came into the leauge with high expectations. Both are considered undersized compared to your prototypical QB. Frankly at this point in RG3's career, he should be honored to be compared to Vick considering RG3 has done absolutely nothing in the NFL. I was in favor of trading up for RG3 but lets not lose our grip on reality here. RG3 compares more to Vick then any other NFL QB past or present.

Theres just one very big difference...

Griffin can throw, and throw accurately...

For every two passing attempts he has a rushing attempt. Okay, fine; how many of those are called runs? When I watched RG3, I didn't see a guy who ran after his first read wasn't there at all. I saw him consistently hang in the pocket, try to make a throw, often to the point of him getting crushed behind a pathetic offensive line. I've watched pretty much every bit of tape out there on RG3, and I've never understood people's insistence that he's one read and run---a criticism that was often lobbed at Cam Newton, which also turned out to be bull.

No offense, college or otherwise, can properly function as a "one read and run" offense, much less the Air Raid attack that Baylor employs.

I mean I don't want it to seem like the Redskins fans are ganging up on the Browns fans, but we're kind of genuinely curious about how you feel about your football team. I liked Weeden and I liked Richardson, I think they'll be solid players, but I think me, Kerrigan and Sinister find it odd that the narrative is now shifting, especially given how Holmgren basically said that they gave the Rams their best offer but they didn't have a shot because...basically, Mike Shanahan and Jeff Fisher have a prior relationship.

I felt like Griffin was small and wouldn't be a suitable NFL quarterback. Then eventually came around. I still feel like he is a bit small, but I think he'll do alright. I wouldn't have been upset if we came away with RGIII at all.

If I had to rank the order of players in this draft I wanted most it'd go...

1. Luck

2. Richardson

3. Blackmon

4. RGIII

5. Claiborne

6. Barron

7. Kalil

I would have been cool with any of them. I think all will be perfectly good players in the NFL. RGIII would have been great, but as you can see, I'm certainly glad we got Richardson.

Oh I forgot one. Vick has a hell of an arm too so I'm not quite sure where your getting the idea that he can't throw. Accuracy is debatable but at this point I'm fairly positive Vick has a better completion in the NFL then RG3 does. I can't say that I've ever woken up and thought about Holmgren. Waking up and wanting to do "evil things" to him is just down right creepy.

As far as the narrative "changing" what did you expect? Of course the narrative changed because the story has changed. It's not odd, its common. Honestly what does the Brown's brass have to gain by talking up RG3 at this point? Not much. What does the Brown's brass have to gain by leaking negative information by RG3? Quite a bit. By having doubts about RG3's frame (aka injury concerns) their proving that taking Richardson and Weeden while holding on to our first rounder next year is more advantageous then trading away the farm for RG3. Considering your a skins fan I can only assume your from the DC area in which case I find it extremely odd that don't understand spin and changing narratives. Aren't those DC staples?

In his last season at Va Tech, Vick threw for 1,234 yds, at a 54% clip. He was a running quarterback. He had, and still has an arm, but he couldn't "throw" to save his life. He didn't even start to show progression into his NFL career until '06.

RGlll in his last year, threw for 4200 yds, at a 72% clip. Besides the fact that they're both black, and fast, there is no compariso...none.

Archived