THE BROWNS BOARD

The Only Day of the Year

The Gipper

I enjoy baseball, played through my whole childhood and my dad was a pitcher at Ohio State so I didn't have much of a choice. Even though I love watching, it definitely wears off after a while once summer is in full swing. That's the good/bad thing about baseball though-you can take a few weeks off and still not feel like you missed a bunch. With football if you miss a few games it's a huge bummer. But the good news in that is once baseball gets repetitive it's usually training camp time.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HA. Not sure how big the world cup is in the states, but its casts a month-long shadow over everything here in Canada. Even hockey.

Oh, OK, that was a quick answer.

Zombo

--had no idea Canada was so gay. Tiny Canadian Pussy Douche should have been a hint.

I wish I had a soccer team/club to follow like you both do. I can't really care that much about overseas teams, and the MLS has never put a team in a city I care to root for. If Cleveland ever got an MLS team, I'd instantly be a big fan

It's ingrained in you as a youngster here. I have followed Tottenham all over the UK and Europe. Any chance Cleveland gets a team or is it to close to Colombus for the MLS to consider that?

Had a top few days in Florence last month mind you we lost and I didn't see much of the place aside from the wine bars!

I wish I had a soccer team/club to follow like you both do. I can't really care that much about overseas teams, and the MLS has never put a team in a city I care to root for. If Cleveland ever got an MLS team, I'd instantly be a big fan

You mean, in the same way we have a local NFL team to follow? ;)

Tell you what, you give us an idea of the things you would look for in a team and we'll point you in the right direction. Like, win-at-all-costs? Traditionally big but now underachieving? Big city team waiting to explode? Team in shadow of local rival? etc.

Tell you what, you give us an idea of the things you would look for in a team and we'll point you in the right direction. Like, win-at-all-costs? Traditionally big but now underachieving? Big city team waiting to explode? Team in shadow of local rival? etc.

That sounds like a team I know. . .

Sounds like a few teams I know.

I'm maybe biased but I see big parallels with the browns and the villa. But maybe if you're picking a new team, you don't want to go through all that suffering on a whole other sport, so maybe a little change is needed...

HA. Not sure how big the world cup is in the states, but its casts a month-long shadow over everything here in Canada. Even hockey.

But those are just one event. I wondered if there was another day in which 2 non NFL sporting events occur on the same day the way they did yesterday.

Not sure I can think of one.

Outside the US, the world cup is bigger than pretty much anything. Inside, no idea. Olympics? not sure how big that is there, probably not huge.

The Olympics if far bigger here than the World Cup. If give the choice, I would rather have the USA win a Gold Medal in soccer than the World Cup.

The Olympics if far bigger here than the World Cup. If give the choice, I would rather have the USA win a Gold Medal in soccer than the World Cup.

Been through that before, and it's because you're wrong ;)

It's ingrained in you as a youngster here. I have followed Tottenham all over the UK and Europe. Any chance Cleveland gets a team or is it to close to Colombus for the MLS to consider that?

Had a top few days in Florence last month mind you we lost and I didn't see much of the place aside from the wine bars!

That would be like asking for someone from Liverpool to root for a team from Manchester.....does that happen?

And now you damn soccer fags got this thread that I started to talk about baseball/basketball in relation to the NFL relegated to the Barber Shop board. You soccer fags do understand relegation don't you?

Been through that before, and it's because you're wrong ;)

I am not wrong. USA fans put more stock in Olympics than in World Cup....or it is at least close.

(beyond that I did say "I" would rather have it that way.....others may feel otherwise)

That would be like asking for someone from Liverpool to root for a team from Manchester.....does that happen?

And now you damn soccer fags got this thread that I started to talk about baseball/basketball in relation to the NFL relegated to the Barber Shop board. You soccer fags do understand relegation don't you?

Liverpool and Manchester no as those cities have an intense rivalry, I didn't realise Cleveland and Colombus was like that

Plenty of people from London follow Manchester United.

Does nobody in Cleveland follow the Blue Jackets?

Liverpool and Manchester no as those cities have an intense rivalry, I didn't realise Cleveland and Colombus was like that

Plenty of people from London follow Manchester United.

Does nobody in Cleveland follow the Blue Jackets?

Very few from what I can gather. Columbus has hockey and soccer, Cleveland has baseball, football, basketball...so they don't directly compete in any sport.

If you looked in the stores around here you may see a very small smattering of Blue Jackets gear for sale. I have never seen Columbus Crew gear sold anywhere around here. Maybe if I went to a mega sporting goods store and looked real hard I might find something.

As for people from London following Manchester United, what you are saying is that you have FRAKs there too?

Very few from what I can gather. Columbus has hockey and soccer, Cleveland has baseball, football, basketball.

If you looked in the stores around here you may see a very small smattering of Blue Jackets gear for sale. I have never seen Columbus Crew gear sold anywhere around here. Maybe if I went to a mega sporting goods store and looked real hard I might find something.

As for people from London following Manchester United, what you are saying is that you have FRAKs there too?

You'll have to tell me what a FRAK is first Gip...

You'll have to tell me what a FRAK is first Gip...

I thought you had been on this board enough to know that we use that term FrontRunnerAssKisser for people who glom on to teams that are not from their home areas simply because they are winning franchises. In other words, these essentially are people whose loyalty is for sale to some successful franchise. Bandwagon jumpers, essentially.

You know, like many Steeler fans, or Cowboys fans, or Yankees/Celtic/Laker fans.....and....apparently many Man U fans.

I mean, how many fans from London are supporters of like Stoke on Trent (but would be if Stoke on Trent were as successful as Man U). Nobody gave a cabbage fart about the Steelers for the first 50 years or so of their existance.

Ya follow?

I thought you had been on this board enough to know that we use that term FrontRunnerAssKisser for people who glom on to teams that are not from their home areas simply because they are winning franchises. In other words, these essentially are people whose loyalty is for sale to some successful franchise. Bandwagon jumpers, essentially.

You know, like many Steeler fans, or Cowboys fans, or Yankees/Celtic/Laker fans.....and....apparently many Man U fans.

I mean, how many fans from London are supporters of like Stoke on Trent (but would be if Stoke on Trent were as successful as Man U). Nobody gave a cabbage fart about the Steelers for the first 50 years or so of their existance.

Ya follow?

Yes I know what you mean, there are thousands of Man Utd followers in London for that reason.

Also Chelsea, very few Londoners supported Chelsea until 1995 and beyond...despite them being a London club.

I am not wrong. USA fans put more stock in Olympics than in World Cup....or it is at least close.

(beyond that I did say "I" would rather have it that way.....others may feel otherwise)

USA fans that know nothing about soccer would rather have a gold medal. Objectively though, the correct answer is a World Cup championship. It isn't even a debate.

I am a big fan of two (three) teams. The Cleveland Browns and the Michigan Wolverines (and USA Soccer, if that counts). I have a personal connection to both teams and am invested in both of them. If I just picked a premiere league team, it wouldn't be the same. I need something more than that.

A Cleveland pro team would be perfect. Until then, I'll just watch MLS and EPL games here and there, and as many international games as I can.

I played as Everton in Fifa. Tim Howard being the main reason. Plus the sweet pink jerseys. Next was the Hotspur. My international roommate was a big fan, all of our IM teams were called the Hotspur, and Dempsey had was there

Read up on the history, the teams in 1950 and 1960 and how we changed the way the game was played in England. The european trophy winning teams of the 70s and the FA Cup winning teams of the 80s.

The glorious blue and white kits, one of the largest supported clubs despite a lack of success.

You will be smitten.

Sadly since 1994 or so it's been a tale of woe bar a little revival from 2008-2012

i don't hate soccer. hell, i really don't hate anything except filthy ISIS and their compadres.

i watched the world cup. all i'm saying in the US football (our football) is king. and there's no doubt about it.

Sure, spurs are great if you want a team that isn't even the best in their own town ;)

Read about aston villa, if you want a club that is truly unique, has a history to match the best, and is underachieving in perpetuity since 1996, bar a little revival 2006-2010.

Blue and white...that's imaginative.

Sure, spurs are great if you want a team that isn't even the best in their own town ;)

Read about aston villa, if you want a club that is truly unique, has a history to match the best, and is underachieving in perpetuity since 1996, bar a little revival 2006-2010.

Pfft, lets let Woody decide...

USA fans that know nothing about soccer would rather have a gold medal. Objectively though, the correct answer is a World Cup championship. It isn't even a debate.

Correction: USA fans that don't give a FUCK about soccer. (I know and understand soccer just fine) Give me a Gold Medal any day.....and shove your World Cup up you ass sideways.

Oh, I am not saying it isn't an interesting.....occasionally exciting event. And I would be glad to win it for the country....but I would rather have the Gold medal.

And I don't have to go any further than Women's soccer to prove my point. USA women have won World Cups....and have won Olympic Gold medal. I am more glad that they won the Olympics than the WC.

You mean since Randy Lerner has owned them? He still owns them, no?

You mean since Randy Lerner has owned them? He still owns them, no?

Yeah, basically. And yes, he still owns them, for now. Very free-spending to begin with now saddles with a lot of debt and not spending so much.

Archived