THE BROWNS BOARD

Why didn't the sign Robbie Gould?

Browns149

I heard that it was simply a matter of money. This guy was cheaper and that is why they took him over Gould.

So when did analytics simply boil down to "taking the cheapest route". The cheap ass bullshit cost a game, pure and simple.

If that is true I really hate to hear it. A decent kicker yesterday and that game was ours.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tabor might be finally did it....spoke out publicly that he didn't want Gould as the kicker but management signed him because he was cheaper. He should be replaced soon unless they want to save some money and not pay 2 SP coaches.

Wait.....you are conflicting yourself. Do you mean Gould or Parkey...wtfever? I thought the coaches wanted Gould....but Sashi was being a cheap bastard and opted for the cheaper option?

Draft? DRAFT? We have draft picks up to our arm pits every fucking year and always trade our top pick, to get a player who never even does jack shit. We deserve wins NOW not the bullshit excuse how we are going to build from the draft. We draft, takes the players 3 years to develop and then they join a winning team. I am sick of being the joke of the NFL, I hate playing in December and our only point is trying to spoil another teams po chance.And if you think us losing is a good thing???? Then you are a fucking idiot

From the Miami Herald

(True story: After the game, league sources said Browns special teams coach Chris Tabor wanted his team to sign free agent kicker Robbie Gould on Friday when Cleveland’s first-string kicker Patrick Murray sustained a knee injury. But Browns management decided Gould is too expensive and so they went with Parkey — who practically single-handedly lost the game for them.)

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article104146136.html#storylink=cpy

This is just half right. It was age not money. And buckle up buckaroos, he'll be kicking for us in DC. Hue sez he stays.

That's what I heard. Grossi seemed convinced that the 300k salary difference didn't matter as much as the age difference (parkey in his mid 20s, Gould in his mid 30s). The FO saw a guy who was young, had already been to the pro bowl and could've possibly been a long term solution at the position.

It's a shame that the kid shit down the side of his leg, but let's hope it doesn't happen again. The last thing this team needs is Billy Cuntlips 2.0

I heard that it was simply a matter of money. This guy was cheaper and that is why they took him over Gould.

So when did analytics simply boil down to "taking the cheapest route". The cheap ass bullshit cost a game, pure and simple.

Correct. The minimum NFL 2016 salary for a first-year player is $450,000. And what does a loss really cost a team now in lost revenue both now and over time especially losing game after game because they do NOT have a dependable kicker?

Both punters and kickers might not be glamor positions but you hate to hear wide left or wide right and oh crap we lost another game. In fact the worst team I have the better punters and kickers I want!

Draft position, idiots. Unless you guys are actually pissy that we're down another game in our AFCN title run.

Heard on MNF - no team that has started 0-3 has ever made the playoffs. 0-69. So you can relax.

If analytics translates "cheap". Depodesta can go back to trading baseball cards.

Being actually relevant a couple years from now is better than meaningless wins in the short term.

So if we were 2-1 instead of 0-3 that it would be meaningless???? WTF??? You are pretty .....strange? I suppose you have a shelf full of "participation trophys" too. Lemme guess... Co-ed soccer? Stay in Texas please and root for the plow boys, we're pretty fed up with your line of thinking around here.

And I'm pretty fed up with the "we didn't win in years 1 or 2, fire the guy now!!" line of thinking. Do you see us making the playoffs this year? The answer's no. So in the long term, wins only hurt us.

See you in the 2020 Super Bowl.

And I'm pretty fed up with the "we didn't win in years 1 or 2, fire the guy now!!" line of thinking. Do you see us making the playoffs this year? The answer's no. So in the long term, wins only hurt us.

See you in the 2020 Super Bowl.

In football, you are supposed to set the SB as your goal each season. So where or when did you come up with 4 year seasons? And our owner fires the FO every other year, not the fans....too bad he's a dumbass meddler. Remember how he likes to pick lousy QBs? Baseball GM? You seem to know it all so tell me.... What will the 3 digit lottery number be for the mid day drawing in Ohio today? I hope the team wins out so guys that like losing leave.....

Browns deny a report they signed kicker Cody Parkey over Robbie Gould to save money: 'Absolutely ridiculous'

The source said the Browns chose Parkey because he's younger, is a Pro Bowler and had potential to be part of the team's future.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/09/browns_deny_a_report_they_sign.html

It makes sense the Browns who are going for youth would take Parkey (who was a pro bowler in 2014) and I accept their reasoning for taking Parkey. I was as upset as anyone about the missed field goals but I have to remember the only practice Parkey had prior to coming to Cleveland was in pre game warm ups.

I was as upset as anyone about the missed field goals but I have to remember the only practice Parkey had prior to coming to Cleveland was in pre game warm ups.

Oh please. If you are a kicker out of a job you are practicing for auditions constantly. Only thing you can say is at least his missed kicks were all left of the goal posts. Showed consistency anyway. :P

If we used the same reasoning for #11 at QB he should have done nothing to help the team when he was in that position.

Oh please. If you are a kicker out of a job you are practicing for auditions constantly. Only thing you can say is at least his missed kicks were all left of the goal posts. Showed consistency anyway. :P

If we used the same reasoning for #11 at QB he should have done nothing to help the team when he was in that position.

I agree with Hue on this (after some time to reflect):

Despite the inaccuracy, Browns coach Hue Jackson said the team does not have any immediate plans to replace Parkey.

''That's a tough job,'' Jackson said Monday. ''I challenge any of us to come in here on a flight late Friday night, wake up and meet the coach for a second and then get on another flight and head to Miami and not know really a lot of your teammates, but some and walk out and kick in pregame and then go kick in a game where you attempt five of these field goals.

''Not two, not one, but five. That's a lot of pressure. And then here's the game-winner sitting you right in the face. So I can't put that on him. That's a tough situation.''

Parkey took full responsibility for the three misses. He didn't get a chance to practice with long snapper Charley Hughlett or holder Britton Colquitt until a few hours before kickoff.

Jackson said it's easy to fault Parkey, but there are numerous variables that go into a kick.

''Well, everybody says, that's the kicker's job,'' Jackson said. ''It is his job, but normally a guy has a job, he's been around him employer a little bit, he's been around his teammates a little bit.

''It was tough circumstances. If he would've made it, we'd be celebrating right now. But he didn't. And I think it's unfair just to dump it all on him.''

Well if I ever come out of retirement and make 3 major screwups my first day back on a job I was good at and practiced at home for, I hope my new boss would be just as supportive and let me keep the job as well. :lol:

I understand what you're saying here but what about the guy that hired you to begin with? Is he not accountable too?

Hue Jackson stood up for this guy, and I can kind of see why. Hearing his story, where he was two days ago, getting off a flight and thrust into that position...it's tough. Ultimately, it's his job to make kicks, but geez man. It's more bad luck for a team that's had more than its fair share. The one off the upright? Ugh.

And don't forget our previous kicker probably cost us the Ravens game when he kicked that extra point WAY too low and it got blocked. Right when that block-return happened, I think all of us knew that would bite us in the ass, and it certainly did.

I understand what you're saying here but what about the guy that hired you to begin with? Is he not accountable too?

Not if he can hide behind analytics and voodoo dolls. :P

Edit: I'm convinced someone out there has a Browns voodoo doll they keep sticking at key times in our games. :lol:

In football, you are supposed to set the SB as your goal each season. So where or when did you come up with 4 year seasons? And our owner fires the FO every other year, not the fans....too bad he's a dumbass meddler. Remember how he likes to pick lousy QBs? Baseball GM? You seem to know it all so tell me.... What will the 3 digit lottery number be for the mid day drawing in Ohio today? I hope the team wins out so guys that like losing leave.....

I hope we win the SB in 2020 so guys that hate the long term (like you) leave. #logic

How many picks have we accumulated for next year's draft? Many? Draft a kicker:

207 Jake Elliott K 1 Memphis Sr 5-9 165 6

231 Adam Griffith K 2 Alabama rSr 5-10 191 6-7

314 Conrad Ukropina K 3 Stanford rSr 6-0 192 7-FA

339 Andy Phillips K 4 Utah rSr 5-10 210 7-FA

412 Cameron Van Winkle K 5 Washington Sr 5-10 190 ––

456 Josh Lambert K 6 West Virginia rSr 5-11 203 ––

Don't understand how the Browns are keeping Parkey around.

You're a kicker FFS. Not like you need loads of time to gel with the team and understand the playbook, you go and make kicks.

You miss 3 sub-50 yard field goals and cost your team the game in the NFL, you shouldn't keep your job.

Archived