THE BROWNS BOARD

Kessler isn't going to Suck as Bad as We Think

BobPOUND!

I hope to God we start Kessler Sunday over the Clipboard Jesus, but nothing would surprise me anymore.

Never saw any film on Kessler until a few minutes ago. Watched his highlight reels on Onlybombs.com and he has a good strong arm. Tends to overthrow as opposed to under throwing and getting picks. With our fast wideouts he could really stretch the field out.

He is a classic QB build at 6'1" and around 220. He is a pretty big guy and seems like he is pretty durable, which we really need at this point... In watching the film he is a capable pocket passer FIRST, but does seem to have a good sense of when to step up or even run out of the pocket. But his first instinct seems to be to stay in the pocket... This could be great in coming years, but could get him killed this year as the pocket collapses really fast with this Offensive line....

He has a tendency to throw into double/triple and even saw him throw into Quintuple coverage on one play against Wisconsin... He seems fairly mobile and doesn't look like a duck trying to run the ball...

Not saying he is the next coming, but I think he will look better than RG3 did.. I really wanted to like the RG3 choice, but I never felt it was the right pick for us.. We need a QB that is committed to staying in the pocket as a life long habit as opposed to trying to train a 20 something adult to stand still and make your reads.. RG3 was always destined to end up injured in the NFL... There is a reason that pocket passing quarterbacks live in the league the longest(along with a GOOD O-line!!!!!)...

I think the kid will keep us from being yet another laughing stock(are we too late to stop that yet this year?).. I think he might be able to pull out 1 or 2 wins for us this year.. And I think he is durable enough to take the hits HE IS GOING TO TAKE.. I liken him to Couch his first year.. Man did Couch take a beating that year, but he kept getting up....

Time will tell.. But please for the love of God do not put in Clipboard Jesus.

Robert

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, but you've lost your mind. The defense is going to stack the crap out of the box, the running game will be devastated, and Cody will be under so much pressure that his head will spin. Before the game started against Ravens, I told my friends that Josh wouldn't make it through the game. It took just one drive to know I would eventually be correct. Cody will also be sent to slaughter. I hope he makes it, but he's going to get blitzed so much that there will be a stretcher on standby.

We didn't get Dak Prescott. We drafted Cody Kessler. Could Kessler be the savior? The guy that comes from nowhere to stabilize a long suffering position? Sure, anything is possible. But we're the Browns. So you tell me what will happen. My optimism is completely gone. I don't want to be the guy that everybody hates because I spew venom and vitriol, but we're in deep trouble until McCown gets back. I truly hope I'm wrong. I don't remember the last time my spirits were crushed by week 2.

What really hurts is we needed Josh to get an evaluation on some of our rookies. How good did Coleman look with Josh? We need to hope that Josh heals quickly and he doesn't have to miss much time. I'd love to have him back against the Patriots so he can sling it to Mr. Gordon.

I'm sorry guys...I'm just really down. I wasn't under illusions about what our record would be this year, but man...

I'm sorry, but you've lost your mind. The defense is going to stack the crap out of the box, the running game will be devastated, and Cody will be under so much pressure that his head will spin. Before the game started against Ravens, I told my friends that Josh wouldn't make it through the game. It took just one drive to know I would eventually be correct. Cody will also be sent to slaughter. I hope he makes it, but he's going to get blitzed so much that there will be a stretcher on standby.

We didn't get Dak Prescott. We drafted Cody Kessler. Could Kessler be the savior? The guy that comes from nowhere to stabilize a long suffering position? Sure, anything is possible. But we're the Browns. So you tell me what will happen. My optimism is completely gone. I don't want to be the guy that everybody hates because I spew venom and vitriol, but we're in deep trouble until McCown gets back. I truly hope I'm wrong. I don't remember the last time my spirits were crushed by week 2.

What really hurts is we needed Josh to get an evaluation on some of our rookies. How good did Coleman look with Josh? We need to hope that Josh heals quickly and he doesn't have to miss much time. I'd love to have him back against the Patriots so he can sling it to Mr. Gordon.

I'm sorry guys...I'm just really down. I wasn't under illusions about what our record would be this year, but man...

Youre not the only one down after that shit show last week. My prediction of two wins looks like a bad one so far

If McCown has a "deep sprain" and doesn't need surgery, I think he'll be back sooner than many think. I don't believe it will be in a week or two, but Josh isn't human, and he's TOUGH. If nothing is broken, I'd venture to say that he will be back in a month. Possibly 3 weeks.

We NEED McCown back. He isn't going to mean the difference between a winning or losing season, but he WILL make the difference between the team being "watchable". LOL. He also throws a killer deep ball, and we have several guys that can get deep VERY well...including Mr. Gordon.

Honestly, watching the Eagles game last night all I can hope for is Hue setting Kessler up for success like Wentz was. I would love to see the game start out with smart, high percentage throws in the 5-7 yard variety. Quick screens, out routes etc. I would love to see this be 5-6 passes in a row to start the game before a run is attempted. I'm optimistic we'll see that as well. It's not going to light up the scoreboard, but it sets the foundation.

I'm much more concerned about keeping him alive than him shitting the bed to be perfectly honest with you though. If Kessler goes down and Clipboard Jesus goes under center I may just walk out of stadium as I'm not sure my heart could view that shit show live. I'd like to have McCown back quickly as well to have our viable back-up, but if Kessler shows anything the next few weeks I'd rather him take the snaps.

Kessler and Hue Jackson....the next Joe Montana/Bill Walsh combination.

Think about it: Bill Walsh....OC for Bengals, gets HC job...like Hue. Kessler a 6'1 3rd round QB....just like Montana.

They have a rough start: 49ers under Walsh and Montana went 2-14 their first year together in 1979.

Two years later, 1981, Super Bowl Champions.

There you go. Read it and weep.

Honestly, watching the Eagles game last night all I can hope for is Hue setting Kessler up for success like Wentz was. I would love to see the game start out with smart, high percentage throws in the 5-7 yard variety. Quick screens, out routes etc. I would love to see this be 5-6 passes in a row to start the game before a run is attempted. I'm optimistic we'll see that as well. It's not going to light up the scoreboard, but it sets the foundation.

I'm much more concerned about keeping him alive than him shitting the bed to be perfectly honest with you though. If Kessler goes down and Clipboard Jesus goes under center I may just walk out of stadium as I'm not sure my heart could view that shit show live. I'd like to have McCown back quickly as well to have our viable back-up, but if Kessler shows anything the next few weeks I'd rather him take the snaps.

I'm terrified about protecting Kessler. We all know that Josh isn't perfect and he holds onto the ball too long, but man...he never had a prayer and it was difficult to watch him get crunched over and over. Josh is the kind of guy you want with your franchise. I hope he's back soon. I don't want Kessler to get mentally OR physically ruined by the lack of protection.

Kessler won't appear to suck IF Hue has actually bothered to watch last week's game film.. Just throw the ball in 1 second or less and Suh/Wake won't be able to get to him. Belichick isn't bad at this game-planning thing.. just do what he did, Hue. Please.

And the Phins got gashed by Blount running up the middle behind 3 rookie OL's.. Just do the same darn thing.

Kessler and Hue Jackson....the next Joe Montana/Bill Walsh combination.

Think about it: Bill Walsh....OC for Bengals, gets HC job...like Hue. Kessler a 6'1 3rd round QB....just like Montana.

They have a rough start: 49ers under Walsh and Montana went 2-14 their first year together in 1979.

Two years later, 1981, Super Bowl Champions.

There you go. Read it and weep.

ROFL, I never said anything even close to that, but HEY if it happens that would be great..

All I'm saying is that Kessler is not going to shit the bed in my opinion. .Sure he is going to be pounded into the dirt this Sunday OR he will be throwing lots and lots and lots and lots of screens, which will result in 3 yard gains to -3 yard gains.. The only chance the kid has is if our wideouts can make themselves a real threat right out of the gate.. If they can do that, they will have no choice but to pull a man out of the box and hope to God our running game can do something...

At 6'1" and 215 to 220 pounds he isn't Big Ben, but then again he isn't Manziel either... He looks durable and as far as I know he wasn't injury prone at SEC.

The kid just needs to make a decision and throw the damn ball for good or for bad. Because losing him will be devastating...

I would expect Hue to start off with lots of 2 tight end sets, where they watch the edges and maybe sneak out for short screens and our wideouts just running straight up the field and see if the Kid can hit them in stride.. Otherwise dump it to a TE and take the 1 yard gain and live to fight another down.

Just don't DIE CODY.... Offensive line ought to be ashamed of themselves for allowing their QB's to take such punishment...

If McCown has a "deep sprain" and doesn't need surgery, I think he'll be back sooner than many think. I don't believe it will be in a week or two, but Josh isn't human, and he's TOUGH. If nothing is broken, I'd venture to say that he will be back in a month. Possibly 3 weeks.

We NEED McCown back. He isn't going to mean the difference between a winning or losing season, but he WILL make the difference between the team being "watchable". LOL. He also throws a killer deep ball, and we have several guys that can get deep VERY well...including Mr. Gordon.

you are exactly correct...at least i have nfl sunday ticket so if the browns become unwatchable again, i'll find something else.

I would just like to see Kessler get the ball out of his hands quickly, limit the turnovers to less than the square root of a cube, and escape the game with no major injuries.

Is it just me or does he look like a young Bernie Kosar in this video.. Hmmmm... Maybe we are on to something.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Browns-QB-Cody-Kessler-%E2%80%98I%E2%80%99ve-been-preparing-as-a-starter-since-I-got-here%E2%80%99/292a3dff-805c-460d-b76f-12bf91eaf2a1

d98d569b43b07b6fc67b20e017880505.jpg

Wow that is a gameshow smile, Bernie.

He may have a little Bernie-like quality, but he is the same height as another Browns QB.

Maybe he will be a mixture of the two:

0f18a3dc4a31b38faeca4ba4deaeaa8d.jpg

Kessler isn't going to Suck as Bad as We Think

That statement goes against everything we know about being a 21st century Browns QB.

I'm just hoping that he now knows where the back of the end zone is.

I just don't want him to think he has to do anything radical to win the game... Let the game come to him.. And feed off that...

Watched his tape. He is impressive and has a better arm than most people think..

Accurate too..

I think he can be effective in the intermediate routes and might even connect on a deep bomb to Coleman/Pryor.

He will make mistakes, he just needs to limit them and trust his team around him. Crow can get it done on the ground they just need to block and create holes that he can hit! (Giggity)

I think he... might even connect on a deep bomb to Coleman/Pryor.

A deepish, ball or two, even if of the 50/50 variety that we win, will be important. We simply have to stretch the field, something Kess was unable to do in preseason when he averaged just over 3 YPA. Bad enough on its own, but worse when you note he completed 2 out of 3 throws.

Then again he wasn't working with our developing 1's in preseason...

A deepish, ball or two, even if of the 50/50 variety that we win, will be important. We simply have to stretch the field, something Kess was unable to do in preseason when he averaged just over 3 YPA. Bad enough on its own, but worse when you note he completed 2 out of 3 throws.

Then again he wasn't working with our developing 1's in preseason...

Like I said, expect a deep ball on the first possession, maybe even the first play.

Good topic! Patriots don't change anything from Brady to Garapolo to Brissett. They will run more, screens and dump offs to Blount and will probably beat Houston.

Kessler can do the same. All he needs is confidence. Who wouldn't want Coleman and Pryor to throw deep to?

Whitehurst is listed number 2 on the depth chart which means Hogan wasn't promoted. I would give the rookies a chance and put Whitehurst on the practice squad. I didn't see Belichek panicking last week. He's as calm as a cucumber playing Brissett.

Good topic! Patriots don't change anything from Brady to Garapolo to Brissett. They will run more, screens and dump offs to Blount and will probably beat Houston.

Kessler can do the same. All he needs is confidence. Who wouldn't want Coleman and Pryor to throw deep to?

Whitehurst is listed number 2 on the depth chart which means Hogan wasn't promoted. I would give the rookies a chance and put Whitehurst on the practice squad. I didn't see Belichek panicking last week. He's as calm as a cucumber playing Brissett.

Whitehurst is not eligible for the PS.

Is it just me or does he look like a young Bernie Kosar in this video.. Hmmmm... Maybe we are on to something.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Browns-QB-Cody-Kessler-%E2%80%98I%E2%80%99ve-been-preparing-as-a-starter-since-I-got-here%E2%80%99/292a3dff-805c-460d-b76f-12bf91eaf2a1

d98d569b43b07b6fc67b20e017880505.jpg

Put a half empty bottle of Dewers in his hand and the resemblance would be uncanny...

But, at this point, we should see what we have with Cody Kessler. This season is fucked beyond belief anyway, so what do we have to lose by playing him?

Archived