THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Talk

Adoug319

My tentative top 5 doesn't differ too much from that of the main talking heads - I'd go Watson, Kelly, Kizer, Mayfield, Rudolph. I think Kelly and Watson are the only two worth their salt in this year's draft so far, but I also do like Kizer as a fringe guy.

I like Rudolph's size, but that's really it.

I think Falk is a good QB but I don't see any transferrable skills - he throws a ton of floaters to his first and second reads and that's it.

I'm taking a principled stand against Rosen because he's a douchewallet, and I think Kaaya is absolutely awful.

Webb is interesting because of his size and arm talent, he could rapidly climb boards if he excels in the Bear Raid.

Then, the homer in me has to always pull for Barrett, obviously. Surprisingly, I'm woefully behind on small school/ under the radar guys. I haven't been paying attention, to be honest.

:lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be him... but not seeing JFF-jumpballs here...

• 1st TD at 0:11 is a touch, back-shoulder throw.
  • 2nd at 0:38 is a 30-yd, zone-splitter with more on it.
  • 3rd at 1:30 was an easy toss after extending play with eyes downfield.
  • 4th at 1:41 was a well placed ball to a HB.
  • 5th at 2:40 was a double-clutched screen that was more about the team execution, but had he robo-threw on timing, then at best the toss was batted down.

The throw that prompted my arm strength comment was not in the highlights. It was a sideline incompletion about 40 yards downfield. Saying it was "on a rope" woulld be hyperbolic, but it had minimal hump in it and a lot of zip.

Just my $0.02... $0.04... $0.06... etc...

I think I disagree on 1 and 4 which are the main bulk of the 'wow' plays there. 1, unless your receiver is big enough and good enough to go get it over the DB, it's broken up in the NFL - see Josh Gordon against Tampa for the exact same thing. 4, that ball was in the air a *long* time, the DB (or LB?) just has to get his head around to get a play on it.

2 - difficult to know whether he diagnosed the zone pre-snap and found the weak spot, if so then excellent, he's better than any QB we've had in some time. Alternatively, the guy came open in the zone and it was throw and catch after seeing the open receiver.

3 - yep, he didn't try to run out of 'trouble' when it broke down a bit. Good.

5 - yep, team score.

I'm not particularly down on the guy, but when people are saying things like 'best QB in draft' after one game, I'm not convinced. Need to see a lot more than that.

I like Kelly mostly because he is built well enough to handle NFL hits and has good "tutoring" from uncle Jim. But he takes too many chances when he runs (which is relatively often). Watson I'm not sure can hold up to the hits. He's been relatively protected @ Clemson.

I like Kelly mostly because he is built well enough to handle NFL hits and has good "tutoring" from uncle Jim. But he takes too many chances when he runs (which is relatively often). Watson I'm not sure can hold up to the hits. He's been relatively protected @ Clemson.

It is still early but so far no one has looked head and shoulders above the others.

SF will draft #1 -- Baalke is atrocious to a level that even Walrus couldn't achieve, even though he tried. They'll take Watson.

But Cleveland had better take Garrett next.. Avoiding him will be like the TrailBlazers passing on Jordan so they could draft someone named Sam Bowie "Because He's A Center"

I'm not particularly down on the guy, but when people are saying things like 'best QB in draft' after one game, I'm not convinced. Need to see a lot more than that.

Agree it's early.... and I'm sure your assessment skills will improve. ;)

Forgot about the Chadster... impressed me in a couple outings last year.

OK, how about this scenario:

The Browns with their own pick and the Eagles pick actually get the #1 and the #2 overall picks in the draft!!!

FYI, it has actually happened 3 times in history that the same team had #1 and #2:

1992 The Colts picked Steve Emtman #1 and Quentin Coryatt #2 in the draft

1966 AFL draft: The Dolphins took Jim Grabowski and Rick Norton 1-2

1958 The Chicago Cardinals select QB King Hill #1 overall and then RB John David Crow #2 overall.

OK, for shits and giggles, if this happens what would you want to see:

Cleveland Browns 2017 take:

#1:

#2:

Insert your choices.

I was for Watson when doing my own trivial scouting for this year's draft, but he wasn't out. If he grows at an expected level then yeah, he probably will be, and then some small school guy with prototypical size will turn up in january and who knows.

FYI, it has actually happened 3 times in history that the same team had #1 and #2:

1958 The Chicago Cardinals select QB King Hill #1 overall and then RB John David Crow #2 overall.

That is one scaringly pathetic track record.

1. Myles Garrett if the Browns commit to running mostly 4-3 (and it appears that may be happening judging by the pickups of late).

2. Best QB available or RB Leonard Fornette if RG III is playing really well.

Garrett and Fornette are both once every 5 years or so players.

1. Myles Garrett if the Browns commit to running mostly 4-3 (and it appears that may be happening judging by the pickups of late).

2. Best QB available or RB Leonard Fornette if RG III is playing really well.

Garrett and Fornette are both once every 5 years or so players.

Fournette may not be the best RB in college this season. A lot of people think Chubb of Ga. or Cook of FSU may prove better.

That is one scaringly pathetic track record.

True. Jim Grabowski became at best a serviceable Fullback. Only Crow had a decent career. Hill pretty much a career backup. Emtman good for a very short period before done in by knee injuries. Coryatt? Pretty much a bust. Only 8.5 career sacks for a OLB.

Fournette may not be the best RB in college this season. A lot of people think Chubb of Ga. or Cook of FSU may prove better.

Les Miles's O does not impress me as one that takes full advantage of Fornette. I do like Chubb though. Tough runner if he says healthy this year. Not sure Cook shows the balance of the other two.

OK, how about this scenario:

The Browns with their own pick and the Eagles pick actually get the #1 and the #2 overall picks in the draft!!!

OK, for shits and giggles, if this happens what would you want to see:

Cleveland Browns 2017 take:

#1:

#2:

Insert your choices.

The top 2 rated defensive players. Then trade back into the 1st and get the best available defensive player thenumber.

Les has a horrid QB...

Seems like this has been the case in Baton Rouge forever... certainly since the JaMarcus phenom years.

Before Russell have to go back to Bert Jones???

BAMA 93 is a Senior named Jonathan Allen. Very much looks the part of a 3-4 DE.

Myles Garrett physically looks like a different player this year. Thought he still looked like a rail last season. Now? Listed at 270 and looks it. Best of all he doesn't seem to have lost a step.

Just realized I did not notice TAMU's #5, Daylon Mack, vs. USC. Last year you could not help but notice him.

Watson looked decent, but not special. But it's Week 1 so...

Allen is a machine. USC's OL was vaunted as the best in the country last week. Herbstreit singled out a play (one of many) where the front 4 collapsed the pocket in under 2 seconds with bull rushes across the board, with Allen leading the way. It's a work of art.

Mack is out of shape and inconsistent.

Auburn's defense is going to be very good and I believe Clemson was breaking in all new O linemen, so don't put all the blame on Watson.

Archived