THE BROWNS BOARD

What is Your Fave Shows on Premium Cable?

true detectives is great. can't get enough of it right now. waiting for game of thrones to come back on......

saw a couple of seasons of empire boardwalk but got bored with it. yes, and i know breaking bad was great but didn't watch the finale season.

just wondering what people think about some of the stuff hbo, showtime etc. have to offer?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you consider "Premium Cable Channels". Just like HBO/Showtime/Starz etc.? Or does that include AMC, FX, SyFy and other more basic cable outlets? Here is the list of "Cable Network" TV shows that make TV Guides 60 greatest shows of all time. (All others would be on Broadcast networks). In no particular order.

Sopranos

The Wire

Breaking Bad

Mad Men

The Shield

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Sex and the City

The Larry Sanders Show

Battlestar Galactica

I am sure there are many other good ones. Why am I sure...I have watched a lot of them.

Just getting into True Detectives... Matthew McConaughey is shockingly good so far.

Also grew bored with Boardwalk... as I did with Sopranos.... never got into The Wire.

Of the active series Game of Thrones is top dog in this household, but my all-time fav is Deadwood... just wish they's locked in the cast for the one more season that was "planned".

Was just catching up on Breaking Bad and enjoying the hell out of of Sundance Channel's reruns of it, when the DVR bit it...

Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones. Deadwood was great, but I guess it wasn't politically correct and so they killed it without an ending. The Americans (FX) is really good (not premium channel, but a damn good show). True Blood was okay the first couple of episodes, then sucked. Started watching Helix.

What do you consider "Premium Cable Channels". Just like HBO/Showtime/Starz etc.? Or does that include AMC, FX, SyFy and other more basic cable outlets? Here is the list of "Cable Network" TV shows that make TV Guides 60 greatest shows of all time. (All others would be on Broadcast networks). In no particular order.

Sopranos

The Wire

Breaking Bad

Mad Men

The Shield

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Sex and the City

The Larry Sanders Show

Battlestar Galactica

I am sure there are many other good ones. Why am I sure...I have watched a lot of them.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer? LMAO.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer? LMAO.

Talk to TV Guide. This was their list. I suspect that there may be quite a few other shows from the broadcast networks they listed that you might laugh at:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/tv-guide-magazine-60-best-series-1074962.aspx

I will say this: they don't include The Beverly Hillbillies or Bonanza on this list which were two of the most popular shows of all time. I guess it is a question of quality, not quantity? (yet I would argue that Bonanza was a better quality show than say contemporary Gunsmoke, which is on the list)

forgot all about deadwood. have every episode on dvd. what a great cast, most of whom were either on something before or soon after.

the main 'whore' in swearengen's (ian mcshane's cat house played jax's sister's mother on sons of anarchy) and is now playing 'ray donavan's' (great show also) wife. the brother of the head ganster played by steve beuschemi on empire boardwalk is now on hbo's 'true detective' as the preacher. timothy oliphant has been on multiple movies and shows from being the bad guy in die hard iv to being the 'hitman' to playing a jingle jangle hillbilly marshall in 'justified'.

which brings me to homeland. it took me awhile to warm u to it but when i did i thought ti was awesome and then after last season's finale when they blew up langley or whatever it was i haven't watched one scene. the lead actor in that was the lead actor in band of brothers.

walking dead on CABLE is by far my fave, (but to see some retribution this upcoming season for the family 'snow' in the game of thrones might have me judging otherwise). meanwhile half the people on the show are british and the lead actor was best know for a chump role in 'love actually'. and shane now plays the lead in 'la noir' which is also flipping awesome.

just loved the ending of the last mid-season finale in the walking dead when the governor finally got his just does.

too bad the writers of full budget hollywood movies don't have half the creativity of what people write now on PREMIUM CABLE channels.

Swearingen is the single greatest, series character I have seen... Ian McShane was pitch perfect in the role.

Deadwood was great, but I guess it wasn't politically correct and so they killed it without an ending.

LOL... while one episode did hit 23 on the "Cocksucker Count-o-Meter", of the many. many rumored reasons, e.g., cost, Milch's drug use or his boredom with the subject matter, PC is not on any lists I've seen.

I'd forgotten that Milch was behind HBO's John from Cincinatti which vies with Carnivale for strangest series ever.

forgot all about deadwood. have every episode on dvd. what a great cast, most of whom were either on something before or soon after.

the main 'whore' in swearengen's (ian mcshane's cat house played jax's sister's mother on sons of anarchy) and is now playing 'ray donavan's' (great show also) wife.

She also plays Katniss Everdeen's mother on the Hunger Games movies....plus she was in Caprica. (the BSG spinoff)

the brother of the head ganster played by steve beuschemi on empire boardwalk is now on hbo's 'true detective' as the preacher. timothy oliphant has been on multiple movies and shows from being the bad guy in die hard iv to being the 'hitman' to playing a jingle jangle hillbilly marshall in 'justified'.

which brings me to homeland. it took me awhile to warm u to it but when i did i thought ti was awesome and then after last season's finale when they blew up langley or whatever it was i haven't watched one scene. the lead actor in that was the lead actor in band of brothers.

walking dead on CABLE is by far my fave, (but to see some retribution this upcoming season for the family 'snow' in the game of thrones might have me judging otherwise). meanwhile half the people on the show are british and the lead actor was best know for a chump role in 'love actually'. and shane now plays the lead in 'la noir' which is also flipping awesome.

You mean Ian McShane? I have liked him ever since he was Lovejoy....the shady antiques dealer. Whoever knew that a show about a fake Napolean's chamberpot could be so much fun.

just loved the ending of the last mid-season finale in the walking dead when the governor finally got his just does.

too bad the writers of full budget hollywood movies don't have half the creativity of what people write now on PREMIUM CABLE channels.

I have been watching the first season of Revolution on DVD. I know it is a regular broadcast show. And honestly, it is not done very well.

But did anyone notice that the plot started out essentially the same as The Postman....the Kevin Costner distopian movie that didn't go over so well?

• 2 weeks later...

When I said Politically correct, I guess I meant the way they portrayed women the way they really were back then. If you kmow what I mean.

politically correct or not, women haven't changed a bit.

true detective stepped up a couple of notches tonite. gotta see it.

will be off the chains next sunday.

also the return of the walking dead. hate that friggin kid. get a haircut punk.

• 1 month later...

My Wife likes those crime shows. She and her best friend worked as investigators with their

aunt's criminal investigator agency way back in the day, in college.

Their aunt was the first woman in Ohio to get her license as such. She also likes

Criminal Intent, and Law and Order, and that's when I often get on the computer...

We both love the NCIS shows, and I remember how I could have gone for months

of training in OSI, cept I didn't want to re-enlist.

Our favorite shows are:

TCM - Turner Classic Movies, the old movies, often in b and w. So many of them had

really terrific plots. I record the old Roy Rogers shows off the Western channel....

NCIS

NCIS, LA

Duck Dynasty

Survivor

Swamp People

American Restoration

Browns football and Nascar

My favorite show of all time, a movie.... I saw when I was a kid - "The Legend of the Scarecrow", on Disney.

Next favorite all time show, was the old Carol Burnett shows with Tim Conway.

The Scarecrow was the leader of a group of American rebels, during the Revolutionary War, and he wore a scarecrow mask.

It was awesome. They never played it again. I actually asked someone at Disney one time about it,

on a tour of their studios. He went off, and looked it up, and told me that they never plan to run it again.

I imagine it's a copyright issue or something.

YES ! I loved that show. I don't remember the song being so annoying...

but the show was really dramatic. And spooky.

Reminded me of Zorro in a few ways.

I also loved all the Daniel Boone shows.

Also, I forgot about the "Swamp Fox" shows.

Those -were- the Revolutionary War stories.

Loved em both. I was an adventurous kid,

patriotic when I was born.

I get a few months off HBO with the Direct TV installation so I've set it to record true detective. Everybody says it's great, we shall see. Also season 3 of Game of Thrones.

I remember thinking the original the prisoner was pretty damn cool. I wonder if it will stand up to time?

WSS

Archived