THE BROWNS BOARD

Talk To Your Kids About the SEC Myth

MLD Woody

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So? Alabama loses to Ole Miss, who has already lost two games, and they get the #4 spot over several other undefeated teams? That is where the myth comes in.

The other part of the myth is that people were saying: the committee takes into account the strength of schedule....and that is why Alabama is in there. To that I have to say: What the fuck are they talking about?

They beat the likes of Louisiana-Monroe and Middle Tenn. St., They beat Georgia who was vastly overrated at the time. They beat, Texas A&M, Tennessee and Arkansas who are all decidedly less than mediocre.

The decent teams in the SEC, besides Alabama are LSU, Florida, and maybe Ole Miss....and Ala. already lost to one of them.

No, Baylor, TCU, Mich. St. all would have been better choices.

The good thing: this will all probably come out in the wash as a lot of these teams get to play each other.

I have said all along that I think LSU is the class of the SEC. I think that will bear fruit on Saturday.

And those Big 12 teams: OSU/OK/Baylor/TCU all have a round robin against each other coming up. It would be my hope that one team emerges as predominant...but not sure that will happen.

And of course OSU plays Mich St. later....and that winner likely plays...and beats undefeated Iowa.

So? Alabama loses to Ole Miss, who has already lost two games, and they get the #4 spot over several other undefeated teams? That is where the myth comes in.

The other part of the myth is that people were saying: the committee takes into account the strength of schedule....and that is why Alabama is in there. To that I have to say: What the fuck are they talking about?

They beat the likes of Louisiana-Monroe and Middle Tenn. St., They beat Georgia who was vastly overrated at the time. They beat, Texas A&M, Tennessee and Arkansas who are all decidedly less than mediocre.

The decent teams in the SEC, besides Alabama are LSU, Florida, and maybe Ole Miss....and Ala. already lost to one of them.

No, Baylor, TCU, Mich. St. all would have been better choices.

The good thing: this will all probably come out in the wash as a lot of these teams get to play each other.

I have said all along that I think LSU is the class of the SEC. I think that will bear fruit on Saturday.

And those Big 12 teams: OSU/OK/Baylor/TCU all have a round robin against each other coming up. It would be my hope that one team emerges as predominant...but not sure that will happen.

And of course OSU plays Mich St. later....and that winner likely plays...and beats undefeated Iowa.

As a Big 12 fan I actually disagree. If you asked Dabo Swinney if he'd rather play Iowa, Michigan St or Alabama on a neutral field he wouldn't choose Alabama. I think he'd choose Alabama over JT Barret lead Ohio St team and they are approrpiately ranked as such.

As a Big 12 fan I actually disagree. If you asked Dabo Swinney if he'd rather play Iowa, Michigan St or Alabama on a neutral field he wouldn't choose Alabama. I think he'd choose Alabama over JT Barret lead Ohio St team and they are approrpiately ranked as such.

I am talking about actual accomplisment. Not about what your perceptions are.

Sorry, but if you lose, you lose. Ole Miss beat Alabama and perhaps, logically, should be rated higher.

I mean, Ole Miss beat Ala....meaning Ole Miss was better than them.

Two teams beat Ole Miss, and those two teams must be better than Alabama.

Those two teams are Florida and Memphis.....and each very well may be better than Alabama and Ole Miss.

Florida lost to LSU.....so as I see it:

LSU better than Fla

Fla better than Ole Miss

Memphis better than Ole Miss

Ole Miss better than Alabama

LSU, Florida, Memphis, Ole Miss.....all better than Alabama

And Saturday LSU plays Alabama....and may prove all the above absolutely accurate.

Hopefully....or else, yea, it may all be a mess.

I am talking about actual accomplisment. Not about what your perceptions are.

Sorry, but if you lose, you lose. Ole Miss beat Alabama and perhaps, logically, should be rated higher.

I mean, Ole Miss beat Ala....meaning Ole Miss was better than them.

Two teams beat Ole Miss, and those two teams must be better than Alabama.

Those two teams are Florida and Memphis.....and each very well may be better than Alabama and Ole Miss.

Florida lost to LSU.....so as I see it:

LSU better than Fla

Fla better than Ole Miss

Memphis better than Ole Miss

Ole Miss better than Alabama

LSU, Florida, Memphis, Ole Miss.....all better than Alabama

And Saturday LSU plays Alabama....and may prove all the above absolutely accurate.

Hopefully....or else, yea, it may all be a mess.

Actually you aren't talking about accomplishment because Ohio State hasn't beaten anyone of consequence

Given Saban's history of defensive woes against teams similar to Ohio State and Clemson, I have little doubt Dabo would prefer to play Iowa or Alabama before Sparty or the Bucks.

Actually you aren't talking about accomplishment because Ohio State hasn't beaten anyone of consequence

Ohio state is the defending national champ and has not lost. Neither have they lost any significant players from their championship run. It's not their problem that the B1G largely sucks. In my mind you can't use a bullshit method like "strength of schedule" to discredit a champion.

Ohio state is the defending national champ and has not lost. Neither have they lost any significant players from their championship run. It's not their problem that the B1G largely sucks. In my mind you can't use a bullshit method like "strength of schedule" to discredit a champion.

Didn't say that Ohio State doesn't deserve to be in the discussion but thankfully the human element is still in play because I'd hate to see an undefeated Houston jump a one loss Alabama.

Let's be clear. Alabama in no way deserves to jump Ohio State now that they've beaten LSU. Strength of schedule aside, who won the last head to head less than a year ago?

Let's be clear last year's Championship game doesn't matter. And I agree that Alabama shouldn't jump Ohio State.

Let's be clear last year's Championship game doesn't matter. And I agree that Alabama shouldn't jump Ohio State.

If the strength of schedule, which is based mostly on a team's performance in the season before, matters, how does a direct matchup of ranked teams in a playoff game from not even a calender year ago not? I mean think about that for a second.

Also, Ohio State/Alabama was not the championship game.

Does Gipper still think LSU is the "class of the SEC" or whatever? That was funny. I still think, as I said, that Ohio State "limps" to 12-0. I said they either choke in the B1G championship game or lose in the semis. Even with their opponent appearing to be a very ugly Iowa team, I still feel decent about it. Not that I'm happy about it. Ohio State is one of my favorite teams.

Does Gipper still think LSU is the "class of the SEC" or whatever? That was funny. I still think, as I said, that Ohio State "limps" to 12-0. I said they either choke in the B1G championship game or lose in the semis. Even with their opponent appearing to be a very ugly Iowa team, I still feel decent about it. Not that I'm happy about it. Ohio State is one of my favorite teams.

Have a sneaking suspicion a one loss Big 12 team won't get in, smh

We'll see. I predicted one would. Still feel ok about it, but again we'll see. I don't think it will be OU if that's what you're getting at, due to them having such a bad loss. I think Baylor would have to win out and beat a TCU team that goes 10-2, an OSU team that goes 11-1, etc. AND have some other flies drop in other conferences.

If Ohio State loses any of their remaining games, they're out (even after a 23 game winning streak as of now).

There is just way too much Buckeye hate nationally, too much to overcome.

'Bama looks great now, but for the life of me I cannot understand why they were given a pass for their loss, at home, to Ole Miss. Ole Miss isn't even ranked anymore.

People talk about the SEC bias, and it is very real. What is more real is the anti-Buckeye bias.

If Ohio State loses any of their remaining games, they're out (even after a 23 game winning streak as of now).

There is just way too much Buckeye hate nationally, too much to overcome.

'Bama looks great now, but for the life of me I cannot understand why they were given a pass for their loss, at home, to Ole Miss. Ole Miss isn't even ranked anymore.

People talk about the SEC bias, and it is very real. What is more real is the anti-Buckeye bias.

lol

But neither have they lost to anyone of no consequence. Alabama lost to a now apparently so-so Ole Miss team. Their victory over LSU is now looking less and less impressive as LSU lost to Arkansas....who lost to Toledo.

I do think that Alabama wins the SEC West....and faces off against Florida.....and that game will be much more competitive than people may think.

I thought they were, yes. Clearly they are not. I think the SEC is very much overrated this year.

Alabama may be the best in that conference, but like I said, Florida may have something to say about it.

But, yes, OSU has rather been sleepwalking through the season. They need to wake up this week.

Michigan St. can beat them. (as evidenced by the Big Ten title game 2 years ago)

But I will take an ugly 10-0 Iowa over an ugly 9-1 team.

Will you take an ugly 10-0 Houston over 9-1 Alabama now? Because the committee would disagree.

I predict it won't be a game against Florida. They don't pass much and LSU learned you can't run against Alabama.

I don't know how 10-0 is ugly. Would anyone predict Houston to win that game? Unlikely. Though I would like to see it played.

Alabama has had a weakness against good passing spread offenses.

As for one loss teams......Alabama's one loss is worse than say Michigan State. MSU lost on a bad call.

Florida lost to LSU.....which is still a "better loss" than losing to Ole Miss. That game will probably play out.

Oklahoma/TCU/Baylor/OK St. should play out. (But what if they all end up with one loss? They all stay home?)

Archived