THE BROWNS BOARD

President Trump delivers Foreign Policy Address

bbedward

I had an interesting talk with my lib dad last night. Growing up in my household the devil was a republican. He said something that floored me and showed how vulnerable and disliked Hillary Clinton is by democrats. He said he would have considered voting for someone like Kasich and voted republican this year. I don't know what it is about Kasich but I keep hearing that name brought up by democrats and maybe a reason Kasich isn't so delusional staying in the race hoping for a contested convention where he could be picked at the most electable?

Anyway I am positive with Trump as the nominee we have the worst possible candidate running against Clinton. As high as Clinton's negatives are the republicans were able to nominate someone like Trump who even beats Clinton with negatives among voters. Being honest Cruz would have been next behind Trump. I am biased towards Cruz but hey I admit it but I don't try to pretend he would be the most electable either. This was the year the republicans should have nominated someone moderate and it would have been a cake walk.

I think the damage done by Trump though to the republican party is even worse than maybe getting blown out in a general election. If that happens the republicans could lose many seats in the senate as house as well. The long term damage Trump has done to the republicans is with the Hispanic voters. They have been trending to start voting as a block for the democrats and Trump's over the top rhetoric in saying stupid stuff such as deportation squads has ensured they will be solid democrat now for years. All the work the republicans have done trying to get the Hispanic vote is down the drain IMO. Trump also has spent much of his time trashing his own party with it's *rigged* system. The *rigged* system has actually worked for Trumpster in that he has received many more delegates than actual votes but he doesn't whine and trash the GOP about that. Long term damage has been done to the republicans by Trump.

I had an interesting talk with my lib dad last night. Growing up in my household the devil was a republican. He said something that floored me and showed how vulnerable and disliked Hillary Clinton is by democrats. He said he would have considered voting for someone like Kasich and voted republican this year. I don't know what it is about Kasich but I keep hearing that name brought up by democrats and maybe a reason Kasich isn't so delusional staying in the race hoping for a contested convention where he could be picked at the most electable?

Kasich is a nut case, he has the calm persona since he's been running for president - coming across as the "reasonable moderate."

He's really a traditional right-winger nut job, and if anybody started paying attention to him or putting him in the spot light his favorability would crumble.

Trump is going to finish around 1257-1300 delegates though, so it's irrelevant. Not to mention that literally nobody voted for the guy and he's 4th in a 3 man race.

If Kasich is a nut case, then what word in the English language describes Trump? Cause Kasich comes off like the da lai lama next to trump.

Kasich is historically known for having a short temper, I guess people just haven't paid attention to him before he ran for president (not that they're really paying attention to him now, but still)

In reality the guy does nothing except for fight against abortion and follow the will of the establishment - a la the TPP. He's an anti-gay hard liner guy, big supporter of NAFTA, the worst trade deal in the history of the country (well, it will be the 2nd if the TPP comes into law)

Basically he's a straight douchebag. When a reporter was writing a story about him all he did was say your job is dumb, I don't read your magazine, my wife doesn't read your magazine.

He called a police officer an idiot for doing his job - and on and on.

Trump at least is historically known for being a really nice guy behind closed doors. Charitable and all that stuff - but because he's flamboyant and loud at his rallies people don't like his tone or temperament.

---

Basically the argument against Trump here is

"He's saying really good stuff and his policy positions are really good, he's not accepting big donations and has no super PACs."

"He's the first presidential candidate (with a chance to win) in modern history preaching an American first foreign policy that holds our allies accountable for their own defense if they want our help (as right now they take advantage of us and contribute nothing to defending themselves)"

"He's talking about auditing the fed, as did Ron Paul, something that nobody else will talk about"

...But he isn't presidential enough

...But I don't believe him, so I'll just vote the person who has disastrous policies and tells me up front about them.

If "being presidential" is more important than stopping a trade deal that will decimate the US for multiple generations - or quitting the nation building policies in the middle east, then that's a very questionable opinion.

No thanks to Trump. Trump's ignorance with no experience in government is not a selling point to me. When he says he would kill the families of terrorists that is such a violation of international law that our military would refuse to carry out the order. I don't care for a petulant spoiled immature narcissist who mocks the disabled and seems to think name calling is the way you get elected president. When he does (which is rare) go into any specifics on how he will accomplish his promises the stupidity is quickly exposed such as how he would eliminate the 19 trillion dollar debt in 8 years or his comments on how he save 300 billion on healthcare by competitive bidding on medicine when our entire budge was less than 300 billion.

The hypocrisy of Trump is breath taking to me. He complains about companies moving to Mexico and China yet has his own clothing line manufactured in Mexico and China....but he is looking out for Americans? Right.

I don't care what you think about John McCain's politics he spent 5 years as a POW in Viet Nam for this country and to see an idiot like Trump who got 5 deferments to keep from serving himself say McCain is not a war hero because Trump likes those who were not captured is unreal. Trump lived a privileged life of ease during the war and he should keep his fat hypocritical loud mouth shut about McCain's war record.

Trump’s truly absurd claim he would save $300 billion a year on prescription drugs

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/02/18/trumps-truly-absurd-claim-he-would-save-300-billion-a-year-on-prescription-drugs/

Trump’s nonsensical claim he can eliminate $19 trillion in debt in eight years

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/04/02/trumps-nonsensical-claim-he-can-eliminate-19-trillion-in-debt-in-eight-years/

No thanks to Trump. Trump's ignorance with no experience in government is not a selling point to me. When he says he would kill the families of terrorists that is such a violation of international law that our military would refuse to carry out the order. I don't care for a petulant spoiled immature narcissist who mocks the disabled and seems to think name calling is the way you get elected president. When he does (which is rare) go into any specifics on how he will accomplish his promises the stupidity is quickly exposed such as how he would eliminate the 19 trillion dollar debt in 8 years or his comments on how he save 300 billion on healthcare by competitive bidding on medicine when our entire budge was less than 300 billion.

The hypocrisy of Trump is breath taking to me. He complains about companies moving to Mexico and China yet has his own clothing line manufactured in Mexico and China....but he is looking out for Americans? Right.

Trump’s truly absurd claim he would save $300 billion a year on prescription drugs

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/02/18/trumps-truly-absurd-claim-he-would-save-300-billion-a-year-on-prescription-drugs/

Trump’s nonsensical claim he can eliminate $19 trillion in debt in eight years

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/04/02/trumps-nonsensical-claim-he-can-eliminate-19-trillion-in-debt-in-eight-years/

He stumbles a bit, so what he's not a career politician and he goes off script so he misspeaks sometimes.

The $300 billion number may not be correct, but the idea that Medicare should negotiate drug prices is correct.

Obviously the $19 trillion can't be eliminated in 8-10 years which he has clarified - even Trump can't beat the media sometimes.

---

It's pretty clear you move production to Mexico and China because it's the only way to compete. That's why he's been talking about our sh*tty trade deals for 30 years.

What do you like about Ted Cruz anyway? Cut medicare, cut social security, flat tax, consumption tax, keep arming moderate rebels to fight assad, pro-TPP (a big one), increase spending in military, deregulate everything in the oil industry, remove incentives for cleaner energy, remove all tax incentives for employers who do things like offer health care.

Details don't win elections, or else Obama would have lost wildly in 08'. It's about the positions said candidate has on those issues mainly - on the big ones he's deadly consistent, otherwise as he gears up for the GE and has all these people advising him the consistency and moderateness is coming.

Every other candidate is told exactly what to say, they know questions ahead of the time before interviews and their people prepare answers for them. Trump has people advising him, but he'll go and talk to anybody and everybody - no notes, doesn't know the questions ahead of time. He falls into the same problems everybody else would if they went and interviewed without it being fully scripted - except to a much lesser extent than the others would probably.

nothing OBF has said about Trump is technically untrue....it's just whether you care or not for those kind of traits in your president. A petulant spoiled narcissist is dead nuts on the money what Trump is, I mean there is factually no debate about that. The argument though is who cares?...a spoiled, petulant narcissist can be president just fine. I disagree. I say that with full acknowledgement that a lot of what Trump says I agree with. I think I speak for a lot of independants when I say Trump had a shot with us.....for awhile.

Off script..or off the rails

Washington Post interview:

RYAN: You [MUFFLED] mentioned a few minutes earlier here that you would knock ISIS. You’ve mentioned it many times. You’ve also mentioned the risk of putting American troop in a danger area. If you could substantially reduce the risk of harm to ground troops, would you use a battlefield nuclear weapon to take out ISIS?

TRUMP: I don’t want to use, I don’t want to start the process of nuclear. Remember the one thing that everybody has said, I’m a counterpuncher. Rubio hit me. Bush hit me. When I said low energy, he’s a low-energy individual, he hit me first. I spent, by the way he spent 18 million dollars’ worth of negative ads on me. That’s putting [MUFFLED]…

RYAN: This is about ISIS. You would not use a tactical nuclear weapon against ISIS?

[CROSSTALK]

TRUMP: I’ll tell you one thing, this is a very good looking group of people here. Could I just go around so I know who the hell I’m talking to?

That’s. Incredible. Read it again. Go on, I’ll wait.

To summarize:

Donald Trump, would you nuke ISIS?

Well, Rubio attacked me first, I respond to attacks I don’t initiate them.

That’s not an answer.

YOU PEOPLE ARE ALL BEAUTIFUL WHAT ARE YOUR NAMES?

This is the man who wants to be commander in chief! He answers a question about nuclear war with a series of nonsense responses followed by a ham-handed attempt at flattery to change the topic altogether!

But this is why he gets away with what he does. Because you know what topic isn’t returned to after that? Nuking ISIS.

why on earth would he just say yeah probably would not use tactical nukes unless we had some dead nuts intel ISIS had one of their own nukes in a building and we needed to hit that before they moved it. That's one of the only plausible scenarios I could imagine why a POTUS would light off a nuke in the middle east, to counter another one.....or if we got hit ourselves by a nuke etc, etc. This is simple rationale, I don't get it.

OBF a shill...lol...for who? Since I don't like either the republican or the democrat candidate this year I think the election is going to be hilarious. Both candidates with record high negatives it will be fun sitting on the sidelines on this one. It will be a hoot.

81117a5a760efcf53a17a014e5f645f4.jpg

We haven't had a president with much military experience for a long time. There are men and women in the military for that reason . I heard Matt Lauer this morning grilling Trump over the fact that he won't get more specific. Trump said quite correctly that everything would be on the table but he didn't want to rule anything out. Why the hell would you want to tell your enemies that you're not going to do this or that thing?

WSS

I can't wait to watch Trump v Hillary - especially when she pulls the women card and Trump brings up all the woman Bill assaulted that she publicly shamed and caused to lose jobs among other likely "House of Cards"-esque scenes.

--

Trump wants a global coalition to fight Isis - including Russia and the nearby muslim countries. I don't really know what there is to be more specific about. You talk with Russia and all the other countries, work with your generals, and figure out the best plan to win.

You can't really have a completely specific plan for how to handle every foreign policy situation 9 months from now - you can only have the general policy it will be guided by. IE 24/28 NATO allies don't pay the required 2% GDP on defense - back out defense of our allies that aren't willing to help themselves. Stop nation building, global coalition against Isis including countries like Russia and China. Western-style democracies do not work in parts of the world where people don't want them.

We don't need to be the world police - our allies have the means to defend themselves but they choose not to spend any money on it because we spend all of our money on defending them (The private sector securing military contracts for weapons, vehicles, munitions are not complaining about the current foreign policy - they have all the politicians by the balls). Meanwhile our infrastructure sucks dick and we talk about cutting medicare and social security.

The Ron Paul foreign policy is fine by me. The Ted Cruz/Hillary Clinton/Jeb Bush/Obama/Rubio are exactly the same in regards to foreign policy.

---

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/yes-trump-can-beat-hillary-clinton/

We haven't had a president with much military experience for a long time. There are men and women in the military for that reason . I heard Matt Lauer this morning grilling Trump over the fact that he won't get more specific. Trump said quite correctly that everything would be on the table but he didn't want to rule anything out. Why the hell would you want to tell your enemies that you're not going to do this or that thing?

WSS

Somehow I don't think Isis gains any kind of adv by an American president saying probably not to a nuclear strike that would likely do nothing but make Isis orders of magnitude larger than what it is now

Somehow I don't think Isis gains any kind of adv by an American president saying probably not to a nuclear strike that would likely do nothing but make Isis orders of magnitude larger than what it is now

He said "I don't want to start the process of nuclear"

It's not like "Nuking Isis" is much of a question. It's total bait for them to roast him on when he says "I won't rule anything out"

Media: Would you nuke Isis?

Trump: I don't want to do nuclear, but I won't rule anything out

CNN Headline: Trump wants to use nuclear weapons in the middle east.

Come on but you know that interviewers who hate Trump already aren't going to take a probably not for an answer. ;)

WSS

Archived