THE BROWNS BOARD

Who is your favorite football announcer/commentator?

WalterWhite

^+1

Nope, Cope was horrible- except to Steeler Homers. Grating voice, and was pointed out before- homer city. Only surpassed in recent times by Dave Lapham of Bungle radio.

In the 70's, the flip side of Cope was Jack Fleming, who was the voice of the Steelers and the Mountaineers at WVU.

One of the great all-time radio announcers. That's his voice on the Immaculate Reception "Franco Harris is running for

a touchdown!"

In basketball, the best ever Joe Tate hands down.

I like Donovan a lot. Deacon blows. Michaels great. Nev Chandler, Summerall great names from the past.

The stark contrast between Bill Hillgrove and Myron Cope made the most entertaining pair ever...the cool, calm, professional play by play of Hillgrove, next to the wicky wacky Cope and his tirades...funny as fuck.

In baseball absolutely abhor Tom Hamilton, worst ever...the over the top exuberance, and his "oh the humanity" reactions...its eyeball rolling.

The best in baseball.. Vin Skully. Professional, cool, calm, and collected, Skully is the only announcer that can project the excitement of the game to the listener without having an orgasm like Hamilton.

That takes skill because its only baseball after all.

Hamilton is great, sorry.

Oh you're just mad Cope made fun of the browns a lot lol.

Seriously though, when Cope was the lead play by play guy yes, agree, a bit hard to take...but when Hillgrove started doing the play by play, Copes function became to add his 2 cents, like Deacon. Except Deacon is boring, Cope was hilarious, a looney tune.

He wasn't mad because Cope made fun of the Browns. You in fact stated it correctly. Cope was a caricature of an announcer. A cartoon. Not to be taken seriously, comic relief. But, yes, entertaining.

I think Deiken fits in his role.. He more or less 'compliments' what Donovan does.. But for Me the combo of Chandler and Deiken was tops.. Nev Chandler gave Me goose bumps with the way he could call Browns games.

OMG- I was just going to put up a post voting Gowdy as the WORST of all time- and it's not even close. (Short of Myron Cope- who should have been doing Maypo commercials when Arnold Stang retired) 1\2 the time Curt didn't even know who in the hell was playing and his commentary sucked.

I'd vote for Enberg and Olsen as best. And I always enjoyed John Madden's commentary.

Hoorta, Gowdy at the end was bad I agree. But the playoff game he announced between Miami & Raiders in 1974 was a classic. I still remember him on the call when Stabler flipped the ball to Davis, ending the Dolphin dynasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0bV0JLbiXg

I really miss Bernie Kosar's preseason announcing. He still has the ability to read defenses and it would be great to get him involved with the Browns in some way. Other announcers I don't really pay too much attention to.

if somebody, ANYBODY, put him on the mike for regular season i'd tune in religiously and drop everyone else in a heartbeat.

so listen up all you tiny college stations, tech savvy high school kids w ability to stream online, even cb gd radio...if u build it, i would probably cum.

tbh it would actually be super simple to do online, and it would be a crystal clear broadcast that even kiwi's and siberians could tune in for (if they were so inclined) , and with even the most generic media player w a slider you could get rid of the delay and get it perfectly in sync w the video...but he'd have to be there. but between a dvr and a slider on ur audio player he wouldn't...and u could definitely get it exact. save it as a podcast and peeps could watch it later as well.

the pilot could be something like -->"SUNDAY SPECTACULAR: Get Drunk w Bernie and Throw Shit at Your TV"

or "Bernie, Uncensored..."

you get the idea.

someone call him. i'd bet he'd probably do it for free. his ego IS deserved though. we love the guy! and word would travel fast.

if web traffic were like 50k, people would notice. i don't think you would even need licensing just to call the game either.

just some silly food for thought. hey, a guy can dream, right?

if somebody, ANYBODY, put him on the mike for regular season i'd tune in religiously and drop everyone else in a heartbeat.

so listen up all you tiny college stations, tech savvy high school kids w ability to stream online, even cb gd radio...if u build it, i would probably cum.

tbh it would actually be super simple to do online, and it would be a crystal clear broadcast that even kiwi's and siberians could tune in for (if they were so inclined) , and with even the most generic media player w a slider you could get rid of the delay and get it perfectly in sync w the video...but he'd have to be there. but between a dvr and a slider on ur audio player he wouldn't...and u could definitely get it exact. save it as a podcast and peeps could watch it later as well.

the pilot could be something like -->"SUNDAY SPECTACULAR: Get Drunk w Bernie and Throw Shit at Your TV"

or "Bernie, Uncensored..."

you get the idea.

someone call him. i'd bet he'd probably do it for free. his ego IS deserved though. we love the guy! and word would travel fast.

if web traffic were like 50k, people would notice. i don't think you would even need licensing just to call the game either.

just some silly food for thought. hey, a guy can dream, right?

that would be a dream come true, as long as there is internet stream so I can listen to it outside of Ohio. I would do the same as you; drop everything and tune in to hear Bernie's insights every week. The icing on the cake would be if there were special guest appearances by Josh Cribbs, another guy who genuinely loves Cleveland.

Gib Shanley painted the best picture for me on the radio. Jim Donovan never tells us where the ball is half the time, other than that he's fine.

Agreed. When Gib called a play on the radio, you could watch it unfold in your mind. There has never been anyone better. I wish there were radio clip archives for you guys to listen to. I've searched the internet and cannot find anything on Shanley. He was a play-by-play genius. Donovan is awful by comparison.

Agreed. When Gib called a play on the radio, you could watch it unfold in your mind. There has never been anyone better. I wish there were radio clip archives for you guys to listen to. I've searched the internet and cannot find anything on Shanley. He was a play-by-play genius. Donovan is awful by comparison.

Some of my favorite Shanley calls....Phipps to Pitts in San Diego, MNF 1972, 21-17 Browns

Sipe to Newsome in the corner, 1980 vs Pittsburgh 27-26 Browns

Cockroft last second FG to beat Steelers in 1972 26-24

Browns clinch AFC Central in Cincy last game of the season, 1980 ("Bum Philllips kicked down the wrong door," per Sam Rutigliano)

Greg Pruitt in the sloppy mud goes around left tackle on a 20 some yard TD run, 1976 to beat Pittsburgh 18-16.

There are some of him but you have to find them within the highlight shows from the 1979 and 1980 seasons. I don't know how to post youtube videos on here but there are some of him calling the games

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nev_Chandler

Hard to imagine he's been gone for almost 20 years. He and a guy from channel 8 came out to a Westside bar I was playing early in my solo days. Stayed almost all night, drinking and laughing like hell at my stupid jokes, great guy and a great broadcaster. I have to admit Jimmy Donovan does a hell of a job too!

WSS

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nev_Chandler

Hard to imagine he's been gone for almost 20 years. He and a guy from channel 8 came out to a Westside bar I was playing early in my solo days. Stayed almost all night, drinking and laughing like hell at my stupid jokes, great guy and a great broadcaster. I have to admit Jimmy Donovan does a hell of a job too!

WSS

I laughed like hell at your stupid jokes and even stayed most of the drink and was drinking. :-)

Jim Donovan is my favorite to date....Nev was really great to listen too also.......Gib was ok, but not nearly as exciting to listen to as the other two were(are)...

Ex Browns color guys need some work.....Deiken, Golic and Bernie were all great players, but(for me) are kind of hard to listen to

Look up Cleveland Browns 1979 Kardiac Kids on youtube and theres some clips with the radio call from Gib Shanley

Gib Shanley was boring.

Joe Tait was the best..

"Most of the referees who paid to get in tonight don't agree with the call."

As for football it's jim donovan. He is great

Joe Tait is still handling the football broadcast for Mount Union (been doing it since 1985).

Archived