THE BROWNS BOARD

"Play like a Brown"

I don't understand why you can't be a fan and also be objective about your franchise. We all want the team to be successful but if they aren't why do we have to act like they were

I am completely objective. I know what they were, what they are, and what I expect them to be.

But what I won't do is suck up to another franchise just because they are winning.....like you said you do. "I have no problem cheering for the Yankees and Celtics and Bruins..."

Anyone that says that can take their head and dump it in a bucket of shit. You are only missing the Cowboys and Steelers from the panorama of FRAK franchises.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am completely objective. I know what they were, what they are, and what I expect them to be.

But what I won't do is suck up to another franchise just because they are winning.....like you said you do. "I have no problem cheering for the Yankees and Celtics and Bruins..."

Anyone that says that can take their head and dump it in a bucket of shit. You are only missing the Cowboys and Steelers from the panorama of FRAK franchises.

Nice, god forbid a person cheers for a team that has success. Ok now it makes sense but don't hate the rest of the world because the team in Columbus playing college football is the only success your teams have had. The Yankees didn't win anything in the 80s through the early 90s, the Celtics stunk from the time Bird left until the big 3 and I watched Ray Bourque finally get his well deserved Cup with the Avalance because the Bruins couldn't get it done. The only difference is those teams turned it around, something we all hope the Browns can do but haven't done to this point.

And by the way big difference in sucking up and acknowledging success

I don't understand why you can't be a fan and also be objective about your franchise. We all want the team to be successful but if they aren't why do we have to act like they were

The only time that really matters is now. I like what Pettine told the players about breaking off the rear view mirror and looking forward. Pettine is refusing to allow the past (recent past) to define this team and I support him 100 percent on this.

Eight Championships....which is more than all the other teams in the AFCN combined. Plus it is more than has ever been won by all the teams in either the AFCS, the NFCS, and is the same as those won by all the teams in the AFCW.

I LIKE that Gipper appreciates the history of our team. Paul Brown not only designed and orchestrated the main principles of the WCO but he also pioneered advanced scouting many teams would later copy. He also identified the perfect QB to master his plan from 46-55. Speaking of which, has any Pro Football Team ever played in this many consecutive Championships and won 70% of them?

1946 (Won)

1947 (Won)

1948 (Won)

1949 (Won)

1950 (Won)

1954 (Won)

1955 (Won)

When Cleveland was warned about how much tougher the NFL would be in 1950 - guess what? Nobody ever stopped them from making it to the BIG Game or from winning 3 of the 6 in the span above.

It's important to know we don't play under a roof that keeps the field and football always dry so we can see why the current plan is as impressive as it is important. Eras may change while trends recycle; but the Lake Erie Climate never changes. Cleveland always played it's best football when it had a reliable running game and a good defense. Both are in the works as we speak folks.

We all like the history no doubt. Some of us actually got to see some of it, but in the end, Bacon is right. This will be 51 years since we won the championship.

You guys know I am a big fan, but for any fan 40 and under, we have sucked pretty much their entire lifetime. It's hard to blame them. Unlike baseball, you need to win at football. Games have always been expensive. At least loser baseball teams have cheaper tickets, better weather, chicks in halter tops and short, shorts and a great way to watch some sports and be able to talk with your friends for 3-4 hours. The social gathering place IS the game and not the tailgate before the game.

Sometimes a team is just due to catch a break. Our break came when about 6 coaching candidates turned down the head coaching job for the Browns last year and we hired Pettine. We struck gold. We have had many coaches since 99 and some were better than others but I really doubt if any of them were the "right" coach. I think there are some Browns fans who see Pettine as the right coach for the the Browns and he will be successful and we are looking forward while others are still looking back.

Then there is the negative media. I am all for looking for ways to improve the club and addressing areas that we need to improve on but this mindless tearing down the team makes no sense. When fans get bombarded with nothing but negative messages about the Browns it is bound to have an effect and take root.

Do you think Pettine coaches and does everything he does with a chip on his shoulder since he was the 5th, 6th, or 7th choice? Im saying he is showing and possibly proving to thr Browns and NFL that he shouldve been 1st choice. And his attitude is showing to be extremely addictive and the players are buying in.

We nailed the draft in my opinion and I personally am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I know Im a "rookie" but if your not on board with this staff and front office you have to be a miserable prick.

The only time that really matters is now. I like what Pettine told the players about breaking off the rear view mirror and looking forward. Pettine is refusing to allow the past (recent past) to define this team and I support him 100 percent on this.

And don't get me wrong I like Pettine and I like the direction the team is going in building a solid defense.

Do you think Pettine coaches and does everything he does with a chip on his shoulder since he was the 5th, 6th, or 7th choice? Im saying he is showing and possibly proving to thr Browns and NFL that he shouldve been 1st choice. And his attitude is showing to be extremely addictive and the players are buying in.

We nailed the draft in my opinion and I personally am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I know Im a "rookie" but if your not on board with this staff and front office you have to be a miserable prick.

I just think he is a great coach. His history showed that with the Jets and the Bills. I am very happy the other coaches said no because we ended up with the best. When you listen to Pettine you realize coaching is not just a job for him but a way of life.

Something Tour has listed I believe might be the reason Pettine took the job when the others declined. He was up to the challenge of turning the club around while the others weren't:

"What's hard on everyone else is just right for us." - Pettine/O'Neil Motto

I had no problem cheering for the most recent Celtics, Bruins and Yankee Championships

I skew towards the negative when it comes to this team

If the team improves on the field I'll cheer for them

if they go 7-9.... I'll still be Mik's "Whiney Ass Bitch"

Thank you for completely proving my point.....

Gotta say...you are the first person Ive ever seen who actually says they want to be perceived as a whiney ass bitch.....

Nice goal!

I don't think Lion fans give a fuck about their 4 NFL Championships.

Id dont think anybody gives a fuck about anybodies Championships except their own. And the only fans who look silly to me are the ones boasting. Its not as if they've done something worthy of boasting about. It's more like winning the lottery then acting like you earned the money.

Nice, god forbid a person cheers for a team that has success.

Yes..god forbid....because it shows a lack of character, a lack of loyalty. When the Nazis overran Europe you were probably pleased about it because, after all, they "had success".

Ok now it makes sense but don't hate the rest of the world because the team in Columbus playing college football is the only success your teams have had.

"Your teams" I thought we had the same teams. Apparently you are a FRAK...since apparently you are willing to suck at the teat of any team just because it is "successful".

The Yankees didn't win anything in the 80s through the early 90s, the Celtics stunk from the time Bird left until the big 3 and I watched Ray Bourque finally get his well deserved Cup with the Avalance because the Bruins couldn't get it done. The only difference is those teams turned it around, something we all hope the Browns can do but haven't done to this point.

Yes, there is. We all can "acknowledge" the success that the Celtics/Yankees had. And respect it. But you said that you "cheered for them". That implies that you had preference for them over all the other teams they played. It means that you preferred them to win over the Mets, Padres, Braves. It implies that you preferred the Celtics over the Lakers, Rockets, Bucks or other teams they played. It implies that you are a fucking FRAK in other words.

We all like the history no doubt. Some of us actually got to see some of it, but in the end, Bacon is right. This will be 51 years since we won the championship.

Well, he is not "right" because he asserts that anything won prior to the onset of the Superball Bowl doesn't count.

He doesn't say that it has been way too long since the Browns won....he said that what they did win is apparently some kind of fiction.

You guys know I am a big fan, but for any fan 40 and under, we have sucked pretty much their entire lifetime. It's hard to blame them. Unlike baseball, you need to win at football. Games have always been expensive. At least loser baseball teams have cheaper tickets, better weather, chicks in halter tops and short, shorts and a great way to watch some sports and be able to talk with your friends for 3-4 hours. The social gathering place IS the game and not the tailgate before the game.

Sure, 40 somes may have never seen the team win. That does suck....more for us old farts than for them. But I never saw the Otto Graham era. I never saw the 1948 Indians. I never saw the Babe Ruth or Joe Dimaggio Yankees......but should I assert that the accomplishments of those teams "don't count as he did?. Of course they count.

That is my beef with him. That, plus he admitted being a frontrunner.

The Browns need a Super Bowl win badly.

It would help elevate their NFL Championships to the level where you could boast about them without looking silly.

16261ox.jpg

Well, a proper comparison is that around the same time the NFL started the "Super Bowl" with merger and expanded playoff, the MLB was expanding at about the same rate with many new teams....plus a new expanded playoff system. They went from just two teams playing in the World Series to a tiered playoff system.

The difference was that instead of merging with a rival league, they expanded into new markets. New teams came in: Angels, Astros, Rangers, Brewers, Royals, Mets, Expos nka Nationals. A bit later the Blue Jays and Mariners. This was essentially the equivalent of the AFL/NFL merger. The only difference was these expanded teams were assimilated into the already existing American and National league structure, and they did not change the name of their championship series.

But, so, would anyone argue that the World Series played before the 1967 playoff expansion "don't count". What if MLB had changed the name of their championship at that time from World Series to "Super Series"? Would anything played before the creation of the "Super Series" not count? That is essentially what Bacon Hound and some stupidsteelerfans say.

So, should we bifurcate the history of the MLB the same way some want to do it for the NFL? Obviously not.

Id dont think anybody gives a fuck about anybodies Championships except their own. And the only fans who look silly to me are the ones boasting. Its not as if they've done something worthy of boasting about. It's more like winning the lottery then acting like you earned the money.

FRAKs give a fuck......because they simply adopt whoever wins as "their own".

With some people, it's a huge ego thing - they are "fans" of whatever team is winning, has gone to

the superbowl and won it.

I know a few people who were fans of the Niners when they went, but later, they became fans

of the steelers, but then quit and became fans of the Patriots.........

It's dumb. I'll always be a huge fan of ONLY our Browns and I hope they get to winning big this year.

NO, I just do not have the mindset of a Pittsburgh Steeler fan who think God created the earth, sun, moon, stars in 1970.

Your right, it's unimaginable that any browns fan would think that way if since 1970 the Browns appeared in 8 SB's, won 6, won more games than any team in the league, and have had only 3 head coaches, most playoff wins, berths, division titles...all stemming as a result being one of the most stable franchises in the league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_standings_since_AFL–NFL_merger

Also don't you think your statement is a tad hypocritical?

Steeler fans don't think God created the earth, sun, moon, and stars in 1970 any more than you think God created the sun, moon, and stars in 1945.

It's clearly evident you think that way.

With some people, it's a huge ego thing - they are "fans" of whatever team is winning, has gone to

the superbowl and won it.

I know a few people who were fans of the Niners when they went, but later, they became fans

of the steelers, but then quit and became fans of the Patriots.........

It's dumb. I'll always be a huge fan of ONLY our Browns and I hope they get to winning big this year.

That's bullshit, I hate when people do that. I mean sure, I might admire a team for building through the draft, not trying to make an all-star team at any cost (Buffalo?), not super arrogant (hawks, pats). So I'd probably have a slight preference for the packers over the patriots in the SB, but against the browns, I want to crush them under heel.

Your right, it's unimaginable that any browns fan would think that way if since 1970 the Browns appeared in 8 SB's, won 6, won more games than any team in the league, and have had only 3 head coaches, most playoff wins, berths, division titles...all stemming as a result being one of the most stable franchises in the league.

Steeler fans don't think God created the earth, sun, moon, and stars in 1970 any more than you think God created the sun, moon, and stars in 1945.

You ARE absolutely right.....it would still be unimagineable for Browns fans.....or a fan of ANY team to think that way.

The Pats/49ers/Cowboys have had about as much success as the the Steelers have had in that same era.

But no, there is absolutely nothing wrong for you or a cowboy/49er/steeler fan to point out that "we have had this particular success" since X date.....

but do you....like some of your ilk believe that "nothing that came before X date counts? Is that what you are saying....I want to be clear.

And clearly you don't know me or what I have said on here forever....that I think things started in 1945. (and the Browns started in 1946, not 1945 btw). Have you actually read my posts that record history? I....and every proper recording agency... count everything from the onset of the league in 1920. I....and all those other sources....count the likes of the Providence Steam Roller title, the Frankford Yellow Jackets., and the Canton/Cleveland Bulldogs, Akron Pros, Cleveland Rams. I am all inclusive to any team that has played in the NFL or that has been merged into the NFL.

So, no, I am not hypocritical at all. If I wanted to be hypocritical then I would be claiming that the Browns have more titles than any other team in history.

So, just for shits and giggles, lets do it the "Steeler fan" way. Let's say that the NFL planet began only in 1946. What team has won the most titles. Here we go, here is the list of teams and the number of titles they have won since 1945:

Browns 8 titles

Packers 7 titles

Steelers 6 titles

Giants 5 titles

49ers 5 titles

Cowboys 5 titles

Patriots 4 titles

Colts 4 titles

Eagles 3 titles

Lions 3 titles

Raiders 3 titles

Redskins 3 titles

Bears 3 titles

Ravens 2 titles

Broncos 2 titles

Bills 2 titles

Chiefs 2 titles

Rams 2 titles

Dolphins 2 titles

Cardinals 1 title

Chargers 1 title

Jets 1 title

Bucs 1 title

Saints 1 title

Seahawks 1 title.

So, doing it the esoteric, Steeler way, the Browns have the most titles in the recorded history of the human race.

But, of course, in the real world, we all know better....that the Packer franchise has the most in history: 13.

Nice, god forbid a person cheers for a team that has success.

Yes..god forbid....because it shows a lack of character, a lack of loyalty. When the Nazis overran Europe you were probably pleased about it because, after all, they "had success".

Ok now it makes sense but don't hate the rest of the world because the team in Columbus playing college football is the only success your teams have had.

"Your teams" I thought we had the same teams. Apparently you are a FRAK...since apparently you are willing to suck at the teat of any team just because it is "successful".

The Yankees didn't win anything in the 80s through the early 90s, the Celtics stunk from the time Bird left until the big 3 and I watched Ray Bourque finally get his well deserved Cup with the Avalance because the Bruins couldn't get it done. The only difference is those teams turned it around, something we all hope the Browns can do but haven't done to this point.

Yes, there is. We all can "acknowledge" the success that the Celtics/Yankees had. And respect it. But you said that you "cheered for them". That implies that you had preference for them over all the other teams they played. It means that you preferred them to win over the Mets, Padres, Braves. It implies that you preferred the Celtics over the Lakers, Rockets, Bucks or other teams they played. It implies that you are a fucking FRAK in other words.

You seem to be an angry dude that just likes to argue but for the sake of it.

I have lived in Upstate NY my entire life. The teams I root for were passed on to me from my father, which I think happens very often. The only team I have ever bailed on was the Miami Dolphins. Like many kids during the Marino era I was fascinated with how awesome he was but when he lost the SuperBowl against the Skins I was devastated and began rooting for my Dad's team the Browns.

I would also add that the previous Championships won by the Browns aren't irrelevant but when you are talking about them as a franchise, for me, the play over the last 50 years is more relevant than what they did back then.

Like many kids during the Marino era I was fascinated with how awesome he was but when he lost the SuperBowl against the Skins I was devastated and began rooting for my Dad's team the Browns.

That would be a great story if Marino had actually played the Redskins in a Super Bowl.

Its funny how you became a Miami fan because you liked Marino, then dumped them the first year because he lost the super bowl. And you were so devastated after investing almost a whole year in being a Dolphin fan that you forgot who they even played????? Spoken like the king of front runners.

Not angry at all. Just because I do not wish to tolerate ignorance...and dishonesty does not make me angry. Consider this an education for you.

I have lived in Upstate NY my entire life. The teams I root for were passed on to me from my father, which I think happens very often. The only team I have ever bailed on was the Miami Dolphins. Like many kids during the Marino era I was fascinated with how awesome he was but when he lost the SuperBowl against the Skins I was devastated and began rooting for my Dad's team the Browns.

See, I don't see such frail loyalties as being an attractive trait.

I would also add that the previous Championships won by the Browns aren't irrelevant but when you are talking about them as a franchise, for me, the play over the last 50 years is more relevant than what they did back then.

Why 50 years? That is a completely arbitrary figure. The Marino era was mostly the 90s. That makes you very young. For 30 of those 50 years you probably were not a scentient human being. Why not just limit it to the time you have been around?

you two need to hold hands and jump from this sinking ship which is the browns and go find a new band wagon team.

you could root for the patriots ("oops! they're in trouble stuart! we have to find a safer choice!" says baconhound in a squirrley voice.)

you could root for tampa bay because they got the shiny new hood ornament that you both cried about ("no, it'll take them too long to win, bacon. and i must root for a super bowl winner before i turn 25 or my life won't be complete!" cried little stuart the mouse.)

i don't care who you dudes root for. if it's for the browns can you be a little more positive? who doesn't want their team to be champs? being a browns fan is more than just wins and losses. until you figure that out, you might want to STFU.

you two need to hold hands and jump from this sinking ship which is the browns and go find a new band wagon team.

you could root for the patriots ("oops! they're in trouble stuart! we have to find a safer choice!" says baconhound in a squirrley voice.)

you could root for tampa bay because they got the shiny new hood ornament that you both cried about ("no, it'll take them too long to win, bacon. and i must root for a super bowl winner before i turn 25 or my life won't be complete!" cried little stuart the mouse.)

i don't care who you dudes root for. if it's for the browns can you be a little more positive? who doesn't want their team to be champs? being a browns fan is more than just wins and losses. until you figure that out, you might want to STFU.

Stuart, I believe, is a Steeler fan and has really made no bones about that. And that is fine. Anyone born and raised in Western PA rightfully should be a Steeler fan.

BaconHound though is a little harder to figure out. He says he at times has rooted for the Celtics, then the Yankees, and there was the Dolphins, and now the Browns?

He says he is from upstate NY. I can understand upstate NY people being Yankee fans....I think most upstate New Yawkers are Yankee fans (over the Mets who are more a NJ/Long Island team). But why a Celtic fan? Why not a Knick fan? (because the Celts were winners?) And the Dolphins? Unless he is a member of the Jewish NY/Miami Mafia, I don't get that. Because he liked Marino? (but he didn't like Kelly....the upstate NY guy?). But he jumped off that wagon to become a Browns fan....because his Dad is a Browns fan. I can see that. I just wonder why it wasn't that way from the start?

most of us (i guess in older generations) had fan loyalty engrained in them as kids. i mean i went to sandusky HS so i rooted for the blue streaks. i root for all the college teams in ohio, not just the bucs. the closet pro teams were out of cleveland so our family attached ourselves to them. just because the browns haven't won a super bowl in my lifetime doesn't mean i stopped rooting for them.

i live in NY now. i lived in boston when bird played for the celtics, when neely, poulin and bourque played for the bruins. did i pull for them? sure. did i give up my ohio colors to root for them? hell no.

I just keep all the teams jerseys and change with whomever is the winner.

That would be a great story if Marino had actually played the Redskins in a Super Bowl.

Its funny how you became a Miami fan because you liked Marino, then dumped them the first year because he lost the super bowl. And you were so devastated after investing almost a whole year in being a Dolphin fan that you forgot who they even played????? Spoken like the king of front runners.

Sorry forgot it was the 49ers in 84, that was 30 years ago and I don't remember a ton from when I was 10.

Stuart, I believe, is a Steeler fan and has really made no bones about that. And that is fine. Anyone born and raised in Western PA rightfully should be a Steeler fan.

BaconHound though is a little harder to figure out. He says he at times has rooted for the Celtics, then the Yankees, and there was the Dolphins, and now the Browns?

He says he is from upstate NY. I can understand upstate NY people being Yankee fans....I think most upstate New Yawkers are Yankee fans (over the Mets who are more a NJ/Long Island team). But why a Celtic fan? Why not a Knick fan? (because the Celts were winners?) And the Dolphins? Unless he is a member of the Jewish NY/Miami Mafia, I don't get that. Because he liked Marino? (but he didn't like Kelly....the upstate NY guy?). But he jumped off that wagon to become a Browns fan....because his Dad is a Browns fan. I can see that. I just wonder why it wasn't that way from the start?

You do realize there isn't a Constitutional Amendment saying you must root for your geographically closest franchise.

Archived