THE BROWNS BOARD

How can anyone like NBA over NHL?

Browns149

I have to confess I am a NY Rangers fan. I have been since 1982 when my parents moved from Cleveland, Ohio to North Olmsted, Ohio. When I was 12 years old. ( yeah the moved to get away from the court ordered busing). 4 years of busing was enough I guess

We never had cable TV in Cleveland and then we did have cable in North Olmsted, and I got to watch MSG network and was hooked on the Rangers, and the NHL

The NBA playoffs are just as boring as the regular season, there is no URGENCY in an NBA game until the last minute

Watching an NHL OT finals game when the team you root for is down 3 games to 1 will ALWAYS be better then ANY NBA finals game.

The game could end at any moment

I'll admit I watched the game tonight (well at least the end of the third and the 2 OT's) and it was very exciting. However as a staunch NBA fan, this year, or at least the past two games, have lacked in excitement, unless you hate the Heat as I do which has made it completely amazing.

With that said, comparing tonight's double overtime game to the past two NBA finals games is unfair. The NBA, much like soccer, hockey and baseball are all incredibly exciting in OT. Hockey and soccer only need one good play to end it, and baseball can win it with a single good play. Basketball however comes down to a series of good plays strung together, both offensive and defensive, to pull out the victory. OT basketball is without a doubt the most intense 5 (more like 10) minutes you can be a part of as a sports fan. Trust me, as a Thunder fan, I've seen more OT games in this playoffs then I can handle.

I'll admit I watched the game tonight (well at least the end of the third and the 2 OT's) and it was very exciting. However as a staunch NBA fan, this year, or at least the past two games, have lacked in excitement, unless you hate the Heat as I do which has made it completely amazing.

With that said, comparing tonight's double overtime game to the past two NBA finals games is unfair. The NBA, much like soccer, hockey and baseball are all incredibly exciting in OT. Hockey and soccer only need one good play to end it, and baseball can win it with a single good play. Basketball however comes down to a series of good plays strung together, both offensive and defensive, to pull out the victory. OT basketball is without a doubt the most intense 5 (more like 10) minutes you can be a part of as a sports fan. Trust me, as a Thunder fan, I've seen more OT games in this playoffs then I can handle.

Except....from what I have seen in soccer one good play will NOT end it. There is no OT "Golden Goal" rule to my knowledge. They play out a full period....like basketball. I wish there were that rule.....is it different in the World Cup?

I hate "shootouts" in hockey and soccer. They are fucking bogus. That would be like holding a 3 point contest to decide a basketball game.

Except....from what I have seen in soccer one good play will NOT end it. There is no OT "Golden Goal" rule to my knowledge. They play out a full period....like basketball. I wish there were that rule.....is it different in the World Cup?

I hate "shootouts" in hockey and soccer. They are fucking bogus. That would be like holding a 3 point contest to decide a basketball game.

There was a golden goal rule used for a couple of tournaments on a trial basis, but it was deemed 'unsuccessful' so it was scrapped.

There was a golden goal rule used for a couple of tournaments on a trial basis, but it was deemed 'unsuccessful' so it was scrapped.

Knowing FIFA or such asswipes "unsuccessful" translated to "too exciting" "too bound to grab the fans interest, too likely to keep them on the edge of their seats"

so lets go have a phony way of ending a game with a shootout...that is like having a field goal kicking contest.

You are correct, I misspoke regarding soccer. Golden Goal (which I'm impressed that you know the lingo) is no longer used in professional soccer. However, all it takes is one good play in soccer to put the ball in the back of the net. Now the same could be said for basketball, baseball, football and obviously hockey but it's a different ball game when scoring is at such a premium.

This might be merging threads a bit but the words to describe why soccer is both fun and exciting to watch finally struck me. Is the scoring exciting and potentially amazing (in how it is done?) Of course, but the most exciting part about it is the close calls and near misses. The crosses and through balls just a tad long, the shots and headers just off target. Knowing that if a player jumped a millisecond later for a header, put a tad more touch on a shot on goal, put the ball far post instead of trying to get cute and go near post could be the difference between winning, losing, or completely changing the game. That my friend, is why soccer is exciting to watch.

Can you find those small moments that change the game in other sports? Of course, but those moments are much more numerous (for the most part at least) in soccer than in any other sport. That Brazil-Mexico game today was a perfect example. It might've ended in a 0-0 draw, but it was a damn exciting game.

I know you'll more than likely find and/or know examples that can poke holes in my theory but that's what keeps me tuned in. I'm sure other soccer fans would concur.

Can you find those small moments that change the game in other sports? Of course, but those moments are much more numerous (for the most part at least) in soccer than in any other sport. That Brazil-Mexico game today was a perfect example. It might've ended in a 0-0 draw, but it was a damn exciting game.

I know you'll more than likely find and/or know examples that can poke holes in my theory but that's what keeps me tuned in. I'm sure other soccer fans would concur.

Yea, I completely disagree......those "moments" are much less numerous in soccer. Compare it to what has been called soccer on ice: hockey. The moments when there are moves on the goal in an attempt to score are far more numerous than in soccer. I mean, we just came off watching the Stanley Cup playoffs that to me were far more fraught with those moments than any of the soccer I have seen.

And...oh yea, how was that final hockey game decided? With a "Golden Goal". Practically every second of every minute of a hockey OT period is edge of the seat because of the chance that a goal could be scored to end the game....and in this case, win a championship.

I agree that the failed attempts at scoring are about as exciting as the actual scores...but in soccer they are still too few and far between.

Archived