THE BROWNS BOARD

The "Real World Cup"

The Gipper

Actually, apparently, the real World Cup of Football is taking place next year, not this year. See this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFAF_World_Cup

OK, this is so called "American Football" or what is actually called "Football" (not Futbol or socer).

And figure this out, the so called world cup of American Football is so credible that the first two times it was held "America" couldn't even be bothered to send a team. But then we relented and did send a team, and a bunch of Division III type players won the title like 50-7 over Japan.

And riddle me this. Next year, 2015, will be the fifth time this "Cup" has been held......and so far it has been held in Germany, Austria, Japan, Italy, and next year in Sweden. Curious minds want to know when so called "American Football" will be played in America?

USA National Football Team roster
Quarterbacks

Running Backs

Receivers

Offensive Linemen

Defensive Linemen

Linebackers

Defensive Backs

Special Teams

Has anyone ever heard of any of these American players on the last squad?

USA National Football Team roster
Quarterbacks

Running Backs

Receivers

Offensive Linemen

Defensive Linemen

Linebackers

Defensive Backs

Special Teams

Has anyone ever heard of any of these American players on the last squad?

The only player I recognize on that list is QB Cody Hawkins. I believe he played college ball at Colorado a few years ago and was pretty good.

If we can "beat the world" with this team, it's no wonder that American football hasn't caught on anywhere else yet.

EDIT: Never checked the links prior to posting, Hawkins did play at Colorado. 1/1

Give other countries time to develop, and they would give us a run. Look at baseball, Japan, Korea, Cuba, etc. all have excellent teams.

The problem is the cost of playing football. There is a lot of protective equipment needed to play the game. The reason soccer, basketball, and baseball are so popular world wide is the lack of protective equipment needed (unless you want to count a helmet and glove in baseball) and the relatively cheap cost of buying or making the necessary equipment to play the game (ball, goal, basket, bat, etc.)

Basically it's the same reason why you don't find many poor kids taking up skiing. It cost too much. Some of the more developed countries may have a large enough of a population who could afford to play the game but then you have to take into consideration the potential for injury (high) and the availability of opportunities for financial gain (low) making the risk/reward equation an un-viable balance.

Basically I wouldn't buy too much stock in this taking off although I would be very interested in putting together an All - Star NFL team to see how badly they beat everyone else. Hell the debate about who to put on that roster would be enough fun in and of itself.

Archived