THE BROWNS BOARD

Buddy ryan passed away

Clevfan4life

Still the best defense I've witnessed in my 50 years of watching the NFL.

Buddy Ryan not only was the architect of the 46 defense, but he was with the Jets during SB III.

He was also with the Vikings in the '70's under Bud Grant.

Too bad he wasn't a Brown.

R.I.P. Buddy

Still the best defense I've witnessed in my 50 years of watching the NFL.

R.I.P. Buddy

For my money, the '85 Bears was the best team (for one season) ever. Yeah, yeah, I know the Dolphins went 17-0, but the way the Bears just dominated everybody that year was unbelievable.

His son was with the Browns. And we blew.

Z

This is all you need to know.. But as far as the old man goes.. I wish we ran that defense.

• 2 weeks later...

Id take his 46 d over any scheme we've thrown out there dince we came back

The 85 Bears is the best defense I've ever seen in any 1 season. I'm surprised that collection of guys only won 1 SB though.

Then Buddy went to Philly and had Jerome Brown, Reggie White, Clyde Simmons and other talented defensive linemen with an ideal MLB like Seth Joyner. In spite of all that, Buddy didn't win a single playoff game there.

As much as defenses could win Championships, it sure would have helped if Buddy's defenses got the support of an offense that could score TDs in the post season.

Jeff Fisher was Buddy's pupil and huge fan of the 46; but he never really frequented the playoffs as a HC like some thought he would.

Archived