THE BROWNS BOARD

Where the Hunt begins on Defense at Training Camp

Flugel

Any positions excite you in particular?

Cant say I feel like we got a lot better at any one position, though I am excited that we tapped so many new linebackers. With all the new guys(is it 5??) Id expect one or 2 to rise and improve the level of play we've been seeing the past few years

What players are you most intrigued by?

Ill go with the 2 later round LB's....Schobert and Scooby......got a feeling one of em will step up.....

Do any names make you think - I forgot about him, glad he's still here?

No....well, maybe Haden.....if he returns to form. If he doesnt, it'll be a long year on the D side....

A lot of our DBs and LBs can crack in as STs players - who do you want us to keep an eye on?

Mentioned above.....Schobert and Scooby.....

Do we have enough "big men that can run and little guys that can hit" for Horton Hears a Hue?

No. I think it'll be a year or 2 before this D takes the next step.....

What guys do you think will respond best to Horton's scheme?

Mingo did well as a rookie under Horton and, Im hoping, that they find a way to propel Gilbert toward reaching his potential.....2 physical talents that no one has been able to capitalize on......

It'll be fun to see what guys benefit most from their 1st year of experience on the field and via offseason conditioning. Who do you think will fall into this category?

Campbell is the one Id expect to take a large step forward. Should be a strong box safety and give us some solid tackling in place of Whitner. The other possibility is Shelton, who I think will be solid solid solid.......

Do we have the ingredients to hurry more passers and create more turnovers?

Eh....not so sure about this.....Ogbah is the only hope and Im not a fan of the ole DE becomes LB routine......maybe the 6th time is the charm.....

How do you think our front 7 will be at stopping the run?

Id expect the same or worse......dont really see an obvious position that we got better at.....Dansby and Starks may have been long in the tooth, but right now, I dont see replacements that I can say are an upgrade....(just some potential and hope)

How do you think our LB Corps will be at dropping into their coverage zones on time to be effective?

As long as Kruger isnt playing.....will someone cut this guy already???!!!

edit....forgot about Orchard, who I also expect to see take a big step forward....he could be our best hope for improving the pass rush....now, who will be his counter part on the other side....Ogbah?... Mingo?....Schobert?.....

Well done Mud! I always love to read your insights especially about the defense. You crack me up with Kruger still haunting you like his cousin Freddie has haunted others.

Ha...yes....Kruger needs to go for us to improve. I see Orchard as the first step and, hopefully, Ogbah or Mingo or Schobert bring some more athleticism to the position.....If Kruges is still playing significant minutes, then that means we didnt get better.....

what good is a linebacker who cant tackle or cover and gets to the QB once every 150 attempts?.....blech.....;)

Any positions excite you in particular?

Cant say I feel like we got a lot better at any one position, though I am excited that we tapped so many new linebackers. With all the new guys(is it 5??) Id expect one or 2 to rise and improve the level of play we've been seeing the past few years

What players are you most intrigued by?

Ill go with the 2 later round LB's....Schobert and Scooby......got a feeling one of em will step up.....

Do any names make you think - I forgot about him, glad he's still here?

No....well, maybe Haden.....if he returns to form. If he doesnt, it'll be a long year on the D side....

A lot of our DBs and LBs can crack in as STs players - who do you want us to keep an eye on?

Mentioned above.....Schobert and Scooby.....

Do we have enough "big men that can run and little guys that can hit" for Horton Hears a Hue?

No. I think it'll be a year or 2 before this D takes the next step.....

What guys do you think will respond best to Horton's scheme?

Mingo did well as a rookie under Horton and, Im hoping, that they find a way to propel Gilbert toward reaching his potential.....2 physical talents that no one has been able to capitalize on......

It'll be fun to see what guys benefit most from their 1st year of experience on the field and via offseason conditioning. Who do you think will fall into this category?

Campbell is the one Id expect to take a large step forward. Should be a strong box safety and give us some solid tackling in place of Whitner. The other possibility is Shelton, who I think will be solid solid solid.......

Do we have the ingredients to hurry more passers and create more turnovers?

Eh....not so sure about this.....Ogbah is the only hope and Im not a fan of the ole DE becomes LB routine......maybe the 6th time is the charm.....

How do you think our front 7 will be at stopping the run?

Id expect the same or worse......dont really see an obvious position that we got better at.....Dansby and Starks may have been long in the tooth, but right now, I dont see replacements that I can say are an upgrade....(just some potential and hope)

How do you think our LB Corps will be at dropping into their coverage zones on time to be effective?

As long as Kruger isnt playing.....will someone cut this guy already???!!!

edit....forgot about Orchard, who I also expect to see take a big step forward....he could be our best hope for improving the pass rush....now, who will be his counter part on the other side....Ogbah?... Mingo?....Schobert?.....

Spoken like the true Mud. Good to have ya back. Can we please stop the converting plan? Draft them for what got them there. Ogbah speed for size is the perfect Starks we never saw imo. Before we ever witness Kruger in coverage again. I got my eyes On Schobert, Nassib or Ogbah. Mingo if holds new weight, I think his coverage duties may slow as he does?

Ha...yes....Kruger needs to go for us to improve. I see Orchard as the first step and, hopefully, Ogbah or Mingo or Schobert bring some more athleticism to the position.....If Kruges is still playing significant minutes, then that means we didnt get better.....

what good is a linebacker who cant tackle or cover and gets to the QB once every 150 attempts?.....blech..... ;)

To be honest, I'd be quite happy seeing a whole lot of Ogbah and Orchard, with Kruger not doing much. Mingo had his one semi-respectable year under Horton, so perhaps, maybe, possibly, he could have another, picking up half a dozen sacks or so. I'd take that right now. And then Schobert - will he play inside or outside, or both?

We need several guys to massively step up, and we desperately need a light season with injuries. Our defense looks drastically different if we somehow get a few guys to step up and play at the level we HOPE they can. To the point, we need Haden, Gilbert, Kruger, Mingo, Erving, and a host of others to "get it". That, plus the development of a few key rookies could mean a better than expected defensive performance.

We obviously have more questions than answers with our defense, and I feel that we're fighting an uphill battle at this moment, but it's not impossible for a few guys to thrive in a new system and for others to remain healthy. Rookies can also impact games, and if some of our new recruits start to jive early on, we could be pretty fun to watch.

I don't expect a badass, stalwart defense, but I am hopeful it can be a nice little surprise.

To the point, we need Haden, Gilbert, Kruger, Mingo, Erving, and a host of others to "get it". Jiggin

okay, I was good with your post til you included Haden in with all that. Haden got banged up last year,

the whole team was demoralized and was run by coaches who were not smart. He's been all-pro.

How much more "getting it" does he need to do?

To the point, we need Haden, Gilbert, Kruger, Mingo, Erving, and a host of others to "get it". Jiggin

okay, I was good with your post til you included Haden in with all that. Haden got banged up last year,

the whole team was demoralized and was run by coaches who were not smart. He's been all-pro.

It was including Erving on a list of players we need to step up to have a solid D that did it for me.

Haden has always been very good, but with a tendency to occasionally get beat at crucial times. For a D to be good/elite, it needs its stars (that'll be Haden and...?) to step up at the crucial times, not step down.

Mud-I hope you are right about Shelton. Needs to be a major change there from year one, including the amount of time he is on the field. I want to see him out there 90%+ of the time with the D.

Very true. Perhaps what I meant was, "We need a healthy Joe Haden to play back to form." You won't hear anything negative about Joe from me. I love him.

Hahaha...didn't mean to say Erving. Was thinking "Kirksey" and somehow wrote Erving. Not sure how that happened. :-P

Kirksey having a "break out" year could be so big for our defense. He's quick and apparently is stronger than last year. Maybe he'll be playing a role that better suits him. I always liked the kid.

We need several guys to massively step up..... To the point, we need Gilbert, Kruger, Mingo, Erving,(Kirksey) and a host of others to "get it".

I don't expect a badass, stalwart defense, but I am hopeful it can be a nice little surprise.

Or a huge surprise?....not to be a negative nellie, but what are the odds that Kruger, Gilbert, Mingo, Erving and Kirksey will suddenly "get good"????....after a combined 18 years of "not good" play, why would they suddenly get it????.....

For a D to be good/elite, it needs its stars (that'll be Haden and...?) to step up at the crucial times, not step down.

Agreed.....We need difference makers...and really dont have any game changing or dominant players on D.....not a one.....yeah, we have some good ones....but so does every other team.....

Kirksey having a "break out" year could be so big for our defense.

Ill take anybody having a break out year.....haven't really had one of those on D in a while.......and a few would be even better....

Or a huge surprise?....not to be a negative nellie, but what are the odds that Kruger, Gilbert, Mingo, Erving and Kirksey will suddenly "get good"????....after a combined 18 years of "not good" play, why would they suddenly get it????.....

Guys can mature and get better.....AND, they can be better utilized. No one was any good in Jim O'Neils system. Kruger has proven good in the past....these guys may get better....

And I expect more better things from Orchard, Cooper, Shelton et al as well.

Agreed.....We need difference makers...and really dont have any game changing or dominant players on D.....not a one.....yeah, we have some good ones....but so does every other team.....

Ill take anybody having a break out year.....haven't really had one of those on D in a while.......and a few would be even better....

Ogbah, Schobert, Nassib.....could help as well.

Mudfly...I totally hear what you are saying. The odds of several players "all of the sudden being good" are pretty slim. BUT, not impossible. I say this because many players and analysts repeatedly pointed out how the previous coaching staff used many guys ineffectively or out of position. Players were asked to do things they weren't good at and it was obvious at times. Perhaps now we have a staff that will know how to use what talent we have the correct way. This gives me the most hope for players reaching new levels of productivity. Mingo has another chance, and while odds are against him, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit interested in seeing him play with Horton and bulked up a bit.

Kruger is a guy who had 11 sacks before and also forced some humongous fumbles. He's at least proven he can do it, so with him I feel like he can be used more efficiently and his production can increase. We may have had a worse defensive coordinator than we thought. I could be wrong, but something tells me we're going to know pretty quickly whether or not our players completely suck or our previous coaches were very dumb.

Losing Desmond Bryant completely screws us, and we're going to see much more of Carl Nassib than maybe we thought. He's still "skinny" for a 3-4 DE, but he's the hardest worker I've heard of, and I wouldn't put it past the guy to be productive.

Gilbert is the true wildcard here. Right now, we expect him to return kicks and basically be invisible other than that. Our coaches are going out of their way to say glowing things about him, and we don't know if it's simply a psychological tactic by our staff to coax the most from Gilbert, or if the guy truly "gets it" now and is ready to use his immense physical gifts the correct way. Smart money says Gilbert will never live up to billing, but again, can a more talented coaching staff massage better results from this roster? Did Gilbert just need some to believe in him? To give him a fresh start? It's not like Gilbert was some reach at #8. Many teams wanted him badly, including Steelers. Definitely rooting for him. I just think what he could mean to our team...to have cornerback depth...ugh. Cmon Justin!

Mudfly...I totally hear what you are saying. The odds of several players "all of the sudden being good" are pretty slim. BUT, not impossible. I say this because many players and analysts repeatedly pointed out how the previous coaching staff used many guys ineffectively or out of position. Players were asked to do things they weren't good at and it was obvious at times. Perhaps now we have a staff that will know how to use what talent we have the correct way. This gives me the most hope for players reaching new levels of productivity. Mingo has another chance, and while odds are against him, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit interested in seeing him play with Horton and bulked up a bit.

Kruger is a guy who had 11 sacks before and also forced some humongous fumbles. He's at least proven he can do it, so with him I feel like he can be used more efficiently and his production can increase. We may have had a worse defensive coordinator than we thought. I could be wrong, but something tells me we're going to know pretty quickly whether or not our players completely suck or our previous coaches were very dumb.

Losing Desmond Bryant completely screws us, and we're going to see much more of Carl Nassib than maybe we thought. He's still "skinny" for a 3-4 DE, but he's the hardest worker I've heard of, and I wouldn't put it past the guy to be productive.

Oh, but didn't you hear Defensive Ends in the 3-4 have no responsibility to rush the passer....they are just there to defend the run and to gobble up blocks so the OLBs can do all the pass rushing.

Gilbert is the true wildcard here. Right now, we expect him to return kicks and basically be invisible other than that. Our coaches are going out of their way to say glowing things about him, and we don't know if it's simply a psychological tactic by our staff to coax the most from Gilbert, or if the guy truly "gets it" now and is ready to use his immense physical gifts the correct way. Smart money says Gilbert will never live up to billing, but again, can a more talented coaching staff massage better results from this roster? Did Gilbert just need some to believe in him? To give him a fresh start? It's not like Gilbert was some reach at #8. Many teams wanted him badly, including Steelers. Definitely rooting for him. I just think what he could mean to our team...to have cornerback depth...ugh. Cmon Justin!

Gilbert? He has played like Melissa Gilbert.....at least maybe at some point he can play like Gilbert Gottfried.

Archived