THE BROWNS BOARD

Offensive Roster Bracing for Training Camp Survival

Flugel

I always like to put on paper who will be competing for starting jobs and active roster spots in our training camp ahead. I'll start off with the offensive side of the ball and some important special teams duties.

Offensive Line:

Joe Thomas LT

Joel Bitonio OG

Cam Erving C

John Greco OG/C

Austin Pasztor RT/OG

Alvin Bailey RT

Charley Hughlett - Long Snapper on Special Teams

Spencer Drango OG/OT

Shon Coleman OT

Mike Matthews C/OG

Michael Bowie OT

Kaleb Johnson OG

Connor Boffeli OL

Dan France OL

Garth Gerhart OL

Erie Ladson OL

Wide Receiver:

Corey Coleman - Could also be a dangerous punt return man like the similar built Antonio Brown

Andrew Hawkins

Rashard Higgins

Jordan Payton

Terrelle Pryor

Marlon Moore - Also Special Teams punt coverage gunner

Ricardo Louis - Could be bigger, faster, stronger version of kick coverage gunner than M. Moore

Darius Jennings - Could also return punts/kickoffs

Taylor Gabriel - Could also return punts/kickoffs

Rannell Hall

Dennis Parks

Josh Gordon

Tight End/Fullback/H-back:

Gary Barnidge

E.J. Bibbs

Seth DeValve - who might also play some red zone WR

J.P. Holtz

Connor Hamlett

Randall Telfer

Patrick Skov FB

Malcolm Johnson FB

Running Back:

Isaiah Crowell

Duke Johnson, Jr.

Terrell Watson

Raheem Mostert - Also returns kickoffs on STs.

Glenn Winston - I thought this guy was released but he's still listed on the roster leaving me still questioning if he exists in Cleveland.

Quarterback:

Robert Griffin III

Josh McCown

Connor Shaw

Cody Kessler

Austin Davis

Punter:

Andy Lee

Place Kicker:

Travis Coons

Patrick Murray

If I missed any players or left some on that have already departed - please feel free to let me know. I thought this would present a nice opportunity for discussion we can spit ball ideas at each other or examine the strength of competition at various positions.

Who stays vrs who sprays?

Who starts vrs who shouldn't?

Since there's a lot of situational football - who's gonna be our Brian Brennan/Joe Jurevicius/Herman Fontenot/Calvin Hill on 3rd downs?

How will the new offensive scheme fit our line and running game?

What position do you feel is our strength?

What position concerns you most?

What players excite you heading into 2016?

Are there any guys you've grown stale with?

What 1 guy do you think brings the most sudden impact - rookie or FA? And why?

What guy, who is already here, do you expect to play far better than he did in 2015? And, is he the only one?

If you want to answer some or all of those questions or anything else you want to add - I'd love to read your thoughts.

Who stays vrs who sprays? JOSH GORDON SPRAYS

Joe Thomas LT

Joel Bitonio OG

after that, I don't know. I hope Irving starts at center and dominates...

Wide Receiver:

Corey Coleman - DRAMATIC IMPACT STARTER

Andrew Hawkins gone?

Rashard Higgins - DRAMATIC IMPACT STARTER

Jordan Payton

Terrelle Pryor - DRAMATIC IMPACT STARTER

Ricardo Louis - Could be bigger, faster, stronger version of kick coverage gunner than M. Moore

Rannell Hall

Dennis Parks

Josh Gordon Gone like yesterday, gone like rotten hay, gone, gone, really, really gone

Gary Barnidge - DRAMATIC IMPACT STARTER of course

E.J. Bibbs

Seth DeValve - This kid is going to be well known for his addition to the offense quickly

J.P. Holtz

Connor Hamlett

Randall Telfer

Patrick Skov FB

Malcolm Johnson FB

Running Back:

Isaiah Crowell starter - may really surprise this year

Duke Johnson, Jr. - DRAMATIC IMPACT STARTER

Terrell Watson

Glenn Winston - Not sure, but I think Glenn Winston could be a huge surprise this year,

if his knee is 100 percent. Just a hunch.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/10/cleveland_browns_glenn_winston.html

Quarterback:

Robert Griffin III \Who knows how it ends up? Griffin may become a star, but has a legit INT problem in his career

Josh McCown / if RGIII doesn't get it, it will be just because he doesn't have it. Josh would start... RGIII, who knows what hapens with the qb situation.

Connor Shaw if this kid had a big arm, he'd have a big career. has it all besides that. Cody takes the backup role, depending.

Cody Kessler - just might be the backup qb - depending on what happens ahead of him.

Austin Davis Not a Davis fan. gone.

Punter:

Andy Lee

Place Kicker:

Travis Coons

Patrick Murray

Since there's a lot of situational football - who's gonna be our Brian Brennan/Joe Jurevicius/Herman Fontenot/Calvin Hill on 3rd downs? Higgins...

How will the new offensive scheme fit our line and running game? brilliantly, since the wr position has serious

new weapons added to the mix. Hue knew the Browns wr's were weak as any other team in football. FIXED.

on offense, besides the obvious ...LT....

I think we have a new strength - WR.

Center. We'll see - boom or bust?

Seth, the oline, Higgins and Coleman, Pryor and Duke "supertailback" Johnson

Gordon. Like months-old pond water.

Might be a tie between Coleman and Higgins. Pryor as the "veteran" wr...

What guy, who is already here, do you expect to play far better than he did in 2015? And, is he the only one?

McCown and Pryor, depending on RGIII surprising

If you want to answer some or all of those questions or anything else you want to add - I'd love to read your thoughts.

Hue knows full well the value of legit wr's to the offense. they fixed that - the players they drafted will

make a dramatic difference. This coaching staff will know how to make the offensive line a solid unit.

Who stays vrs who sprays? JOSH GORDON SPRAYS

Joe Thomas LT

Joel Bitonio OG

after that, I don't know. I hope Irving starts at center and dominates...

Wide Receiver:

Corey Coleman - DRAMATIC IMPACT STARTER

Andrew Hawkins gone?

Rashard Higgins - DRAMATIC IMPACT STARTER

Jordan Payton

Terrelle Pryor - DRAMATIC IMPACT STARTER

Rannell Hall

Dennis Parks

Josh Gordon Gone like yesterday, gone like rotten hay, gone, gone, really, really gone

Gary Barnidge - DRAMATIC IMPACT STARTER of course

E.J. Bibbs

Seth DeValve - This kid is going to be well known for his addition to the offense quickly

J.P. Holtz

Connor Hamlett

Randall Telfer

Patrick Skov FB

Malcolm Johnson FB

Running Back:

Isaiah Crowell starter - may really surprise this year

Duke Johnson, Jr. - DRAMATIC IMPACT STARTER

Terrell Watson

Glenn Winston - Not sure, but I think Glenn Winston could be a huge surprise this year,

if his knee is 100 percent. Just a hunch.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/10/cleveland_browns_glenn_winston.html

Quarterback:

Robert Griffin III \Who knows how it ends up? Griffin may become a star, but has a legit INT problem in his career

Josh McCown / if RGIII doesn't get it, it will be just because he doesn't have it. Josh would start... RGIII, who knows what hapens with the qb situation.

Connor Shaw if this kid had a big arm, he'd have a big career. has it all besides that. Cody takes the backup role, depending.

Cody Kessler - just might be the backup qb - depending on what happens ahead of him.

Austin Davis Not a Davis fan. gone.

Punter:

Andy Lee

Place Kicker:

Travis Coons

Patrick Murray

Since there's a lot of situational football - who's gonna be our Brian Brennan/Joe Jurevicius/Herman Fontenot/Calvin Hill on 3rd downs? Higgins...

How will the new offensive scheme fit our line and running game? brilliantly, since the wr position has serious

new weapons added to the mix. Hue knew the Browns wr's were weak as any other team in football. FIXED.

on offense, besides the obvious ...LT....

I think we have a new strength - WR.

Center. We'll see - boom or bust?

Seth, the oline, Higgins and Coleman, Pryor and Duke "supertailback" Johnson

Gordon. Like months-old pond water.

Might be a tie between Coleman and Higgins. Pryor as the "veteran" wr...

McCown and Pryor, depending on RGIII surprising

Hue knows full well the value of legit wr's to the offense. they fixed that - the players they drafted will

make a dramatic difference. This coaching staff will know how to make the offensive line a solid unit.

Interesting Cal! On top of your points about the WR position - Al Saunders is a great WR Coach.

DRAMATIC IMPACT STARTER. Lol not only is this player going to start but will make an impact ...dramatically.

I love that Hollywood Higgins is classified as DIS. Gotta love Browns fans.

Oh ... and I agree.

Zombo

Does it really matter who stays and who goes?

You just watched the Cleveland Cavaliers win their 1st championship in team history and you're asking me this? Aside from the parade that hosted over a million people, do you know how many Cleveland fans celebrated the 12th of Never including you?

Yes, it really matters that the previous coaching staff and front office is gone along with Manziel, Weeden, Richardson. Hear me out here before you choose the most convenient sentence to attack back with hind sight 20/20. They were saying all this stuff when Eddie DeBartolo Jr came out to SF and fired people right and left until he finally got the right guys in charge. And spare me the my dad was best friends with his dad bullshit. It all started with an owner willing to self-evaluate mistakes above ego. The same Jimmy Haslam who sent a plane to steal Peyton Manning away from the Manning family tradition at Ole Miss and jacked up the recruiting enough for a National Championship the year after manning departed - told us it all started with him needing to be better.

We now have a new FO, new coaching staff, 14 draft picks coming in, and some young FAs that can definitely raise the bar in how this team competes. They also added to next year's draft volume and round 1 in particular.

2014 was only 2 years ago and that team won 7 games in spite of a big injury volume. Of the 9 games lost, Cleveland had 2nd half leads in 4 of them and 2 of them had tie scores in the 2nd half. Effort was never in question. What was missing? Play makers. Isn't that what you always bellyache about? 2 WRs we just drafted: Coleman scored 33 TDs in his last 2 years while Higgins scored 25 TDs (17 in the jr year when he had an experienced QB). Edge Rushers just drafted: Carl Nassib led the country in sacks with 15.5 and Ogbah was next with 13 while your Joey Bosa had 5 sacks. Something tells me you would be reminding me how over-decorated Bosa was if we never traded out of #2 and drafted him. Reggie White never needed excuses like "that little 200 lb RB blocking me was a real show stopper after I got through the OT and TE."

I can't blame this front office or coaching staff for the sins of the past Tom.

Get Joel Bitonio contract extension done NOW. Quit sitting on cap to pay more later..Pay The Man!! (back with more fatass updates VK)

half of the 'analytic' draft picks won't make it to see a sunday afternoon football game.

thanks jimma!

Only about 4 of the 11 draftees (below) made it to see a Sunday afternoon game. Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright and Carlton Williamson all became starters in the secondary for a team about to begin a dynasty. Does that draft suck OR did they draft enough goodies to change the way SF played defense moving forward?

Round

Overall Player Position College 1 8 Ronnie Lott DB Southern California 2 36 John Harty DT Iowa 2 40 Eric Wright DB Missouri 3 65 Carlton Williamson DB Pittsburgh 5 121 Lynn Thomas DB Pittsburgh 5 122 Arrington Jones KR Winston-Salem State 6 147 Pete Kugler DT Penn State 8 203 Garry White RB Minnesota 11 286 Ron DeBose TE UCLA 12 313 Major Ogilvie RB Alabama 12 322 Joe Adams QB Tennessee State

I love that Hollywood Higgins is classified as DIS. Gotta love Browns fans.

Oh ... and I agree.

Zombo

Lindy's Pro Football Draft lists Rashard Higgins as the Sleeper To Watch with this:

Higgins dropped off the national radar after Head Coach Jim McElwain and QB Garrett Grayson left for greener pastures in 2015, but he's a fluid athlete with size and natural ball skills who could surprise with how high he's drafted.

Here's his numbers:

2013 68 rec 837 yds 12.3 ypc 6 TD

2014 96 rec 1,750 yds 18.2 ypc 17 TD

2015 75 rec 1,063 yds 14.2 ypc 8 TD

Now, try to imagine Higgins, Coleman, Barnidge and Hawkins in the slot. Doesn't sound bad.

Other guys that could challenge for playing time/situational roles are Terrelle Pryor, Jordan Payton, Darius Jennings and Ricardo Louis. I'd say Potsie Gordon but I saw exactly how interested he is in making a difference here when he got his 8th life in 2014 joining our pleasant surprise of 6-4 in progress. Didn't know the playbook, quit on plays and got suspended by the coaching staff for another episode of not caring enough about the only professional team that gave him a chance, then another, then another, then another...

Clear weakness: QB group

When your top performer is at the end of his career.... The more I think about it, the more likely it seems that McC is around to be traded to the team suffering the greatest QB loss during TC.

Clear strength: ???

Just can't squint that hard...

Most promise: WR group

Even four random draftees would win for this group and I think we did a lot better than random.

Least promising: RB group

I like Crow and think the swap to a power gap scheme will help him, but...

- the line is a question mark...

- TE blocking is a question mark... and

- FB???

That's three strikes.

When your top performer is at the end of his career.... The more I think about it, the more likely it seems that McC is around to be traded to the team suffering the greatest QB loss during TC.

Even four random draftees would win for this group and I think we did a lot better than random.

- FB???

That's three strikes.

I remember the day we signed Barnidge - I read his greatest addition here would be blocking. And then I witnessed what kind of Receiver he became in 2015.

Like that video I shared of the Bitonio press conference in the Drango thread - the offense becomes a product of the OC's philosophical agenda. Bitonio hinted they tried to adapt to a change from run first to pass first mentality. That's gonna change what you get out of your TEs as exemplified by Barnidge.

- FB???

That's three strikes.

Get out of my head.. QB--The more I hear about Fitz turning down 12M with Jets. The more I think JMC fits their cap situation & not Fitz. Better OL for now too? When Josh pushed to name starter, full indication was Josh knows he's got few years to play & ain't sitting behind anybody. Maybe he does want out.. WR--better than random-spot on..RB/OL--Not sure if you caught the new article from same writer at Fanside? But either writer or Hal Hunter is speaking crazy stuff again on OL personnel imo. Proof shall be in the pudding

Only about 4 of the 11 draftees (below) made it to see a Sunday afternoon game. Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright and Carlton Williamson all became starters in the secondary for a team about to begin a dynasty. Does that draft suck OR did they draft enough goodies to change the way SF played defense moving forward?

Round

Overall Player Position College 1 8 Ronnie Lott DB Southern California 2 36 John Harty DT Iowa 2 40 Eric Wright DB Missouri 3 65 Carlton Williamson DB Pittsburgh 5 121 Lynn Thomas DB Pittsburgh 5 122 Arrington Jones KR Winston-Salem State 6 147 Pete Kugler DT Penn State 8 203 Garry White RB Minnesota 11 286 Ron DeBose TE UCLA 12 313 Major Ogilvie RB Alabama 12 322 Joe Adams QB Tennessee State

pfft,

you're saying there's a ronnie lott amongst our draftees?

can you point him out to me pleez?

- FB???

That's three strikes.

The RB's... This is why they need to bring a vet in. D. Murray or A. Morris can be had via trade for a draft pick. We have the $$ to let this happen as well. It will keep the qb upright as well. Crow is a fan fav but let's get a RB that earns respect from opposing defenses.

pfft,

you're saying there's a ronnie lott amongst our draftees?

can you point him out to me pleez?

What a clever detour so I'll re-post my point and question to you again: Only about 4 of the 11 draftees made it to see a Sunday afternoon game. Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright and Carlton Williamson all became starters in the secondary for a team about to begin a dynasty. Does that draft suck OR did they draft enough goodies to change the way SF played defense moving forward?

The year Ronnie Lott was drafted - he was coming off an All American season. Nostradamus wasn't available at the time of the pick to let us know if he was a lock for the NFL Hall of Fame or not before NFL down #1. It looked like a very good pick especially if you saw the highlights and the productivity behind the reasons he earned All American honors.

Speaking of Lott's promising college football accomplishments in terms of what they projected ahead, we drafted some similar college football resumes:

1) a guy who made All American as well as being named Pac 12 Player of the Year with 14.5 sacks and 6 forced fumbles plus winning the Bednarik, Lombardi and Nagurski Awards in 2014 (Scooby Wright).

2) a guy that led the nation in sacks with 15.5, 6 forced fumbles and 19.5 tackles for loss (Carl Nassib)

3) a Big 12 Defensive player of the Year and All American (Emmanuel Ogbah),

4) a 2 time All American and 2 time Big 12 Offensive Linemen of the year (Spencer Drango),

5) a guy that made All American and won the Biletnikoff Award as the best WR in college football after scoring 20 TDs in his final season at Baylor (Corey Coleman)

You don't want any of these guys to have a chance? Let's just cut em now Mik?

I always like to put on paper who will be competing for starting jobs and active roster spots in our training camp ahead. I'll start off with the offensive side of the ball and some important special teams duties.

Offensive Line:

Joe Thomas LT

Joel Bitonio OG-Pay this Guy

Cam Erving C-Hal Hunter, Listen to Gumby Damn it. A Fat NT will put this man in our QB's lap on a 4 step drop. Put Cam at G

John Greco OG/C-Hal Hunter, Listen to Gumby again Damn It. Big Grec he's your Center

Austin Pasztor RT/OG

Alvin Bailey RT

Spencer Drango OG/OT

Shon Coleman OT-Camp Battle with Alvin Bailey

Mike Matthews C/OG-Cam or PS?

Michael Bowie OT-Camp Battle RT also

Wide Receiver:

Corey Coleman -Hate the risk at PR Andrew Hawkins-Friends in hometown Toledo tell me he is All In with Hue. working out at UT.

Rashard Higgins-Our new Gabe

Jordan Payton

Terrelle Pryor-If Gordon Back,Tag your OUT

Marlon Moore - A Also Ran at Special Teams punt coverage gunner. Gunna be close

Ricardo Louis - They say bad hands. That's why we have PS?

Darius Jennings

Taylor Gabriel -Can't keep them all in 1 slot. I hurt watching this Hobbit get hit

Josh Gordon-Put the shit down. Far to much wasted Talent

Gary Barnidge

E.J. Bibbs-Camp Battle of 2 Spots

Seth DeValve-Camp Battle of 2 Spots

Connor Hamlett-a player-Camp Battle of 2 spots

Randall Telfer-Now or never Camp Battle or IR waiver

Running Back:

Isaiah Crowell-Contract year.$$ drives

Duke Johnson, Jr.-Pick back up right where last season ended.Do it Pruitt

Terrell Watson-He did not come to keep Hue's nails manicured? Did he?

Raheem Mostert -This kid has none nothing wrong yet.Let's just see

Glenn Winston - leaving me still questioning if he exists in Cleveland.---1 carry 1 fumble in 3 years. Quit stealing $$ & just quit Futball, PLEASE

Quarterback: Hue can drive the truck on this one. I got McCown starter, better tude when a young WR makes mistakes & accuracy..

Robert Griffin III

Josh McCown

Connor Shaw-Good Luck,you been thru hell but your better than A. Davis

Cody Kessler

Austin Davis

Punter:

Andy Lee--BOOM-A Punting God

Place Kicker:

Travis Coons--Always take the DAWG!!

Patrick Murray-BYE-We play in snow not TB

If I missed any players or left some on that have already departed - please feel free to let me know. I thought this would present a nice opportunity for discussion we can spit ball ideas at each other or examine the strength of competition at various positions.

Who stays vrs who sprays?Hollywood Higgins sprays Gabe.

Who starts vrs who shouldn't? RG3 but it worth every gamble out there

Since there's a lot of situational football - who's gonna be our Brian Brennan/Joe Jurevicius/Herman Fontenot/Calvin Hill on 3rd downs?GET THE BALL TO COLEMAN. Speed Kills!!

How will the new offensive scheme fit our line and running game? Patience was not our friend in ZBS. Power Scheme should help both but better vision & balance to any hole even if its wrong make the greats Great

What position do you feel is our strength?TE-Barney--Following Carolina also, I know where Barney comes from. He's nobody's backup no more

What position concerns you most?-Center & anything to the right of it.

What players excite you heading into 2016? BOTH COLEMAN'S. The story Corey can write & SHON the story that he can continue to write. I lost my mom to Leukemia

Are there any guys you've grown stale with? Malcolm Johnson or use of. Gordon of course

What 1 guy do you think brings the most sudden impact - rookie or FA? And why? DEMARIO DAVIS. Dansby lead it tackles. OK Sashi Prove it..

What guy, who is already here, do you expect to play far better than he did in 2015? And, is he the only one? KRUGER it's on a even # year

So why quit now. The Cavs ain't on & the Tribe already kicked some Tiger tail..

Actually I thought Austin Davis did a nice job when he had to play. For guy who hardly got any reps during the season he was pretty good.

He DID however lack in time management.

He's gone though. There's no room for him.

Conner Shaw? I too was impressed with his college completion percentage and lack of INT's (lotta fumbles though as I recall) but he seemed rather ordinary to me. I think his fate is tied to McCown's.

...would be nice if a TE arose to compliment Barnidge...but he needs to be able to block too.

Also............. BIG PLAYMAKER......................without LeBron, there is no celebration. ALl that team bullshit meant nothing until LeBron showed up.

Hold on, you were bragging about your NE Patriots taking their play makers or Lebron James in round 1. Is that where they found Tom Brady? What about Gronkowski? How about Edelman? Those are the 3 guys they count on most to outscore everybody. And how many Zeke Elliotts have they drafted at RB in round 1 in recent years?

Are you really going to tell our audience how proud of Bill Belichick you were when he drafted Craig Powell and Touchdown-Free Tommy Vardell in upper halves of round 1? Or, when we got to witness all the football follies from Todd Philcox? If anything, Belichick learned in Cleveland a lot can go wrong when you toss all your marbles into 1 guy in round 1 so he mastered the art of trading back for more picks in NE. He drafts bad QBs too - ever hear of Ryan Mallett? We can get him today for a Walmart Cola and a stale bag of potato chips.

Again, this front office increased our 2016 draft volume to 14 and they added picks to the 2017 draft (including another one in round 1) If a guy can score 20 TDs and win an award as the best WR in college football - why does that strike you as not a play maker? 2) If a guy can lead the country with 15.5 sacks, 19.5 tackles for losses and force 6 fumbles - how is that not a play maker?

3) If a guy can earn Defensive Player of the year in the Pac 12 for 14.5 sacks, 6 forced fumbles and countless tackles for losses - how is that not a play maker? Not bad for a late 7th round pick eh?

You've conditioned yourself to tell others about your bellyache so much that you're now doing it before the ache. This is starting to sound like a Billy Ray Cyrus Achey-Breaky video gone wrong...

Since there's a lot of situational football - who's gonna be our Brian Brennan/Joe Jurevicius/Herman Fontenot/Calvin Hill on 3rd downs?

Higgins

How will the new offensive scheme fit our line and running game?

Power run game, hopefully our OL is built to match

Left side of OL - Thomas/Bitonio. Yay.

QB, obviously.

Coleman, Johnson

Crowell, Hawkins

Coleman - think he takes punt returns and runs with them (trololol) and the confidence spills over in to the receiving game, and since he's our defacto #1, he gets a lot of reps.

Erving. But 'much better' doesn't necessarily mean adequate.

Hawkins has been labeled as one of the standout performers at the WR position so far in limited practices in minicamp and OTA's. I have read multiple reports stating Hawkins, Pryor, and Coleman are the three that continuously make plays and get open. The only concern I have regarding Hawkins is his ability to remain healthy.

I also believe people should be more encouraged with our RB's. The RB position is basically the ONLY area where we didn't use one of our 14 draft picks to upgrade, and that speaks volumes because Hue Jackson likes to run the ball. If we look at what Cincy liked to do, they ran the ball with Hill and also with Gio. Two guys with two different skill sets, and very similar to the two guys we have on OUR TEAM. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying that Crowell and Duke are as good as Hill and Gio, but they perform similar roles. Hue has mentioned many times that he believes our RB's have what it takes to carry our offense.

Try and remember our coaches didn't know what they were doing last year. We now have offensive coaches who have enjoyed success in the NFL, and have way more experience than the guys we had last year. Our players will be placed in situations that help them excel more often than last year, and we're going to see a dramatic change in how often we actually run the ball. (assuming we aren't down 20 points at halftime)

I'd love to tell you that Gordon is coming back, but even if he's reinstated, I'm not so sure our Browns take the guy back. We seem to really be distancing ourselves from players with "issues", and that's bad news for Gordon and Armonty Bryant. The thing is...if Gordon IS reinstated, I don't see the benefit of cutting him. I could totally see the Ravens snatching him up and using him to keep kicking the crap out of us. Maybe the only benefit of cutting him is finally being free of any drama inducing players...but is that enough?

As I've said before, our main issue on offensive (besides the lack of proven playmakers) is our lack of depth. I truly believe that we're going to start the season out with a couple of W's that people didn't expect, but as the injuries mount, we'll fade away.

Soon, this Ghoolie guy will become a good troll. He just needs some more facts - and more racism!

NBA teams need more than just one option - and Kyrie was the #1 before LBJ came back. Kyrie has been a legit all-star from day1, 2 years before LBJ returned.

Back to reality: I'm most excited about seeing Pryor starting at WR.

Offensive Line:

Joe Thomas LT

Joel Bitonio OG

Cam Erving C

John Greco OG/C

Austin Pasztor RT/OG

Alvin Bailey RT

Spencer Drango OG/OT

Shon Coleman OT

Mike Matthews C/OG

Michael Bowie OT

Kaleb Johnson OG

Connor Boffeli OL

Dan France OL

Garth Gerhart OL

Erie Ladson OL

Wide Receiver:

Corey Coleman - Could also be a dangerous punt return man like the similar built Antonio Brown

Andrew Hawkins

Rashard Higgins

Jordan Payton

Terrelle Pryor

Rannell Hall

Dennis Parks

Josh Gordon

Gary Barnidge

E.J. Bibbs

Seth DeValve - who might also play some red zone WR

J.P. Holtz

Connor Hamlett

Randall Telfer

Patrick Skov FB

Malcolm Johnson FB

Running Back:

Isaiah Crowell

Duke Johnson, Jr.

Terrell Watson

Glenn Winston - I thought this guy was released but he's still listed on the roster leaving me still questioning if he exists in Cleveland.

Quarterback:

Robert Griffin III

Josh McCown

Connor Shaw

Cody Kessler

Austin Davis

Punter:

Andy Lee

Place Kicker:

Travis Coons

Patrick Murray

Since there's a lot of situational football - who's gonna be our Brian Brennan/Joe Jurevicius/Herman Fontenot/Calvin Hill on 3rd downs? If healthy, Duke Johnson should be our Herman Fontenot/Calvin Hill. Rashards Higgins will be our Brian Brennan/Joe Jurevicius moving the chains.

How will the new offensive scheme fit our line and running game? As well as experience and chemistry allows it to.

What position do you feel is our strength? Left Tackle. I also think we've improved talent and speed at WR in addition to adding an ideal WR Coach like Al Saunders.

What position concerns you most? Center

What players excite you heading into 2016? Corey Coleman and Duke Johnson

Are there any guys you've grown stale with? Potsie Gordon. We've seen 5 games from him since he tore up junktime in a 4 win season in 2013. 4 of those games were very forgettable and he contributed 0 TDs to the 6-4 team he joined in progress. As usual, he got suspended but only by the team for his lack of priority. Since then, he missed last year to another urine sample needing controversy theories with countless alibis and excuses. One would think learning took place, but he had another dirty urine sample while surrounding himself with Johnny Manziel. Stay tuned for more empty promises and suspensions. History repeating history over and over reminds us this guy doesn't give a shit about football enough to turn down millions of $. If we're not going to buy Manziel's quick sand - I think it's wise to use the same logic with his best friend/co-dependent.

What 1 guy do you think brings the most sudden impact - rookie or FA? Corey Coleman

And why? He's compact and explosive with a knack for scoring TDs. Aside from the TDs, his ability outside opens opportunity for others inside like Antonio Brown does for Pittsburgh. I'm sure Gary Barnidge will appreciate someone opening seams and stealing Safety attention outside and downfield.

What guy, who is already here, do you expect to play far better than he did in 2015? Joel Bitonio

And, is he the only one? No, other guys will benefit from the scheme changes too. Not only that, it'll be nice to see what T. Pryor can do after the extended Romper Room in 2015. Why that staff wasted an entire year of his experience only to bring him back and worry he didn't have enough experience to warrant playing time during a 3 win season. I expect to see Bibbs landing a very important niche in 2016.

skepticism does not equal bad. so being a skeptical browns fan does not equal a bad browns fan. nor does it make one a troll. people disagree on anything and everything and how one envisions one's favorite sports team to be run vs. how others see the same is really a moot point but just adds to the discussion.

skeptical? me? naw. i mean why would a browns fan be skeptical? since the rebirth in '99 with 7 regime changes and only one playoff appearance, hell the fans should just line up and swallow whatever crap they're slingin. guess i have a much more refined palette.

there's nothing wrong with loving some of these draft picks. heck i think a couple could contribute big time right out of the gate. but to think cuz we landed more than a dozen players makes for some type of draft hoo haw is crazy. the old excuse 'well, they've got to build the foundation of the team'........ excuse me? build the foundation for the team? you mean to tell me that this professional football team had no players on the team last year? or the year before? because i coulda swore i watched a bunch of games on tv last year and they all included a team called the cleveland browns. now are you saying those players sucked and the new ones are going to replace the old sucky ones and make the foundation stronger? ok. time will tell. but i'm not taking that bet.

OR

are you saying that the players from past regimes are not the players the new coach and regime want to play in their system? now that i'll believe a lot faster than all the other players sucked. therein lies this fresh debate. so you're saying that this new regime is better than the past 7? cuz i can go down a roster of any other team in the nfl and find comparable/if not better players on the 'foundation' list of the browns. most players on a 'foundation' list have won awards and were considered 'somebody' throughout their career before being drafted. it's what they have done or failed to do since is how they'll be remembered. and if i'm not mistaken someone in those other team's regimes are doing the same job as the people in ours, just maybe better or worse. thing is there's no way of knowing just yet. so i'll choose to be skeptical cuz i've seen and heard it all before. i've watched a lot of guys on here hitch their wagons to 'saviours' and 'hacks' before and go down the shitter spinning counter-clockwise just like all the rest.

grab onto your life preserver. or at least know where it's at.

oh and VK is right. without the stud/star players, this org. will never turn around. shoulda drafted wentz. B)

NBA teams need more than just one option - and Kyrie was the #1 before LBJ came back. Kyrie has been a legit all-star from day1, 2 years before LBJ returned.

browns don't have a kyrie, let alone a kevin love.........or a mosgov for that matter. lol.

Mik - pretty much both A and B in your either/or. The browns have been top heavy on 'elite' talent in a few (mostly non-skill) positions over the last 3-4 years. Thomas, Mack, Haden, Gipson, Whitner, Cameron/Barnidge have all gone to the pro-bowl in the last 2-3 years. Bitonio and Schwartz have played at a level where they had a chance. But outside of that, we have had no receivers, running backs, d-linemen, or linebackers to speak of, that would even get close to a playoff team's starting line up. So yes, we need to raise the floor of the roster, so that we don't end up with a couple good players that aren't able to win it all by themselves and, inevitably, leave.

We also probably wanted some players that fit the new staff's system - Coleman, Ogbah and Nassib spring to mind - and so we got rid of people like Hartline & Starks, guys who maybe had something at some point but are way past that point.

So sure, some heavy sense of realism - that this is a 3-13 team that lost a few of its better players in free agency; that even doubling that win total would be a big step forward and yet still result in a double-digit loss season - is absolutely fine. But you can also be optimistic that we're not going to see players unprepared, uncommitted, and out-coached under the new staff, and that with another draft or two we could really be on to something. And that's what being a browns fan is all about, every year ;)

Hawkins has been labeled as one of the standout performers at the WR position so far in limited practices in minicamp and OTA's. I have read multiple reports stating Hawkins, Pryor, and Coleman are the three that continuously make plays and get open. The only concern I have regarding Hawkins is his ability to remain healthy.

I also believe people should be more encouraged with our RB's. The RB position is basically the ONLY area where we didn't use one of our 14 draft picks to upgrade, and that speaks volumes because Hue Jackson likes to run the ball. If we look at what Cincy liked to do, they ran the ball with Hill and also with Gio. Two guys with two different skill sets, and very similar to the two guys we have on OUR TEAM. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying that Crowell and Duke are as good as Hill and Gio, but they perform similar roles. Hue has mentioned many times that he believes our RB's have what it takes to carry our offense.

Try and remember our coaches didn't know what they were doing last year. We now have offensive coaches who have enjoyed success in the NFL, and have way more experience than the guys we had last year. Our players will be placed in situations that help them excel more often than last year, and we're going to see a dramatic change in how often we actually run the ball. (assuming we aren't down 20 points at halftime)

I'd love to tell you that Gordon is coming back, but even if he's reinstated, I'm not so sure our Browns take the guy back. We seem to really be distancing ourselves from players with "issues", and that's bad news for Gordon and Armonty Bryant. The thing is...if Gordon IS reinstated, I don't see the benefit of cutting him. I could totally see the Ravens snatching him up and using him to keep kicking the crap out of us. Maybe the only benefit of cutting him is finally being free of any drama inducing players...but is that enough?

As I've said before, our main issue on offensive (besides the lack of proven playmakers) is our lack of depth. I truly believe that we're going to start the season out with a couple of W's that people didn't expect, but as the injuries mount, we'll fade away.

Interesting! Some good points.

I wouldn't worry too much about Potsie Gordon if Cleveland cuts him. Our record has never been better because of him. We flat-lined in 2014 when he returned to the pleasant surprise of a 6-4 in progress. His apologists blame everyone but Potsie and it can get as outrageous as those ruthless popcorn vendors yelling too loud for him to concentrate and other ridiculous theories avoiding giving Potsie any accountability whatsoever. He contributed 0 TDs after telling us we were going to see the best version of Potsie we had ever seen. Not knowing the playbook is a reflection of how much this guy cared. Taking plays off is also a reflection of this. All this time I've heard we can't afford to get rid of Mr Wonderful, we had to have Travis Benjamin lead our WR Corps in TDs, yards per catch and in 2015 - receiving yards. This is a guy who's ceiling in is a #2 or a #3 so yeah, the subconscious planning around Potsie is our #1 WR impacts what's left when dirty urine keeps him from answering the bell. He has another dirty urine pending further discipline at this time. Any surprise considering who he buddies up with? Before Manziel, there was the guy with a big bag of weed in Josh's car if it was ever even that guy's weed.

In 2012 we were 5-11. In his dream season of 2013 when he was electrifying junk time, we only won 4 games. When he's NOT the primary receiver - he makes it pretty obvious which works against the notion his matchup should help his teammates. Forget Randy Moss comparisons because we didn't have Jake Reed and Cris Carter also lining up in formation. Our WRs were a lot more needy although they seemed to be a lot more productive the first 10 games than they were in the last 6 weeks. Coincidence?

Archived