THE BROWNS BOARD

Cam Erving - Soooo you're tellin me there's a chance....

sdballis

I think VK's main point is you can mine for OL deep in the draft... and many teams do with reasonable results.

He just has trouble expressing himself...

Cam Erving had lousy coaching...and lost his OL coach just as the season started.

Having said that, he didn't look like he knew how to play tackle football when he got in games.

I don't have much hope for him, Gilbert or Josh Gordon.

you can mine for OL deep in the draft... and many teams do with reasonable results.

The success rate for OL picked deep in the draft [5th and later?] is no better/no worse than the success rate for any other position picked deep in the draft. "Reasonable Results" is some grade-A historical revisionism, aka data cherrypicking.

For every Carl Nicks [5th round, Saints, 2008] I can give you Garrett Gilkey, Ryan Miller, Jason Pinkston etc. These guys are great - for me to poop on.

Tom Brady was a 5th rounder, but what percentage of QB's taken in rounds 5-7 are first-ballot HoF'ers? That fraction is only Tom Brady in the numerator and a Spergon Wynn [Round 6, 2000] look-alike contest in the denominator.

Agree... not my philosophy... just trying to explain VK's... which is dangerous I guess.

Day 3 and UDFA crops get pretty lean, but you can afford to sift thru a lot at low/no cost for that gem or two.

Day 1 is by-and-large a very expensive place to shop. Seems that for every stud there's an underachiever, if not outright dud. Even consensus "can't miss" prospects, e.g., Greg Robinson, disappoint.

Personally I like Day 2 for value. I think that's where athletic prospects who can be coached up reside.

Archived