THE BROWNS BOARD

Reasons to believe the Browns have turned the corner into turning into a winning TEAM

calfoxwc

... and THAT was more fun than reading most of Ghoulish's threads.

lol... was wondering what the payoff to the story was going to be...

I've often pondered this same question. If I were the owner of an NFL franchise, my first priority would be to get a great GM. I would go after someone like Ozzie Newsome or a Kevin Colbert. This is the single most important position on the team, the person responsible for bringing in a crop of talented footballs players year after year. In 2015 the Browns had the #31st ranked roster in the NFL, I hope the Harvard grads do a better job than Farmer.

Sounds easy... but how do you ID GM talent? Remember how "smart" we were to retain Farmer when the Fins wanted him? How Ray was an integral part of all the recent personnel success in KC?

Since you can't tamper with clubs' GMs, the only way to go is promote a promising prospect from within. Even then it's far from foolproof. Maybe Farmer was great in a role in KC... even in CLE as we apparently thought. Then he became "the GM" and.... no... not so much.

Can't say for sure, but I've a feeling that most of the GM talent in the league was "found" within the FO they now head. It feels like we have deepened and widened our FO talent pool with this reorg under Sashi. Hopefully we spawn and grow our future talent in it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, what you are telling me is that you agree with my Santa Claus message. You are agreeing with me that this team had a horrible draft and is on a path to another shit season. Your objection is that I am telling the truth?

Speaking of Santa, When I was 5 I told my Mom that there was no such thing as Santa. When it comes ot detecting bullshit, I am THE REAL, cousin Vinny.

2 - 14 +/- 1 win.

I got your REAL Cousin Vinny right here. The kid that told me there was no such thing as Santa Claus ended up with a bloody nose. I'm Irish which means swing first and ask questions later.

To prevent the Ghoolosh from sounding foolosh in paraphrase - let me be responsible for what I say. In this case, I have a very good feeling about this draft for us. I LIKED how they not only looked for explosiveness in the edge rushers but they found guys where the fitness carried over to productivity on the gridiron. There were some occasional head scratchers but they also found some decorated resumes as late as Scooby. There was also an understanding the WR position and edge rushers are important in a passing era, which moves us light years ahead of Farmer's prehistoric philosophy about the WR position.

I got your REAL Cousin Vinny right here. The kid that told me there was no such thing as Santa Claus ended up with a bloody nose. I'm Irish which means swing first and ask questions later.

To prevent the Ghoolosh from sounding foolosh in paraphrase - let me be responsible for what I say. In this case, I have a very good feeling about this draft for us. I LIKED how they not only looked for explosiveness in the edge rushers but they found guys where the fitness carried over to productivity on the gridiron. There were some occasional head scratchers but they also found some decorated resumes as late as Scooby. There was also an understanding the WR position and edge rushers are important in a passing era, which moves us light years ahead of Farmer's prehistoric philosophy about the WR position.

You mean Farmer Flintstone?

Since you can't tamper with clubs' GMs, the only way to go is promote a promising prospect from within.

I haven't spoke with Rick Spielman since Sonny's (his dad) funeral about 10 years ago. If I happen to run across him, I'll take a chance on the anti tampering rule and see if he wants to come back home. Unfortunately, Haslam will have to be involved.

It IS possible that we've turned a corner and are on a strait-a-way in the right direction. But we can't know that right now.

Things we DO know:

We don't have that pompous dope Farmer around. Mr. 'I don't draft WR's because they don't handle the ball enough. I sign midget free agents instead'. Mr. 'I don't need to go to QB pro days'...and then draft Manziel.

We go from that to the Geek Squad who identifies the problem and drafts 4 WR's. - That is a major corner turned!

We don't have Pettine and his bewildering defense and his genius of kicking a 60 yard field goal to Devin Hester standing in the middle of the end zone....TWICE. (I don't think I ever saw him coach anyone up)

We go from that to Hue...who's probably already coached up more players. And Hue brought in a seasoned and respected bunch of coaches. - To me, that's another corner turned. (I thought we had some pieces in place when we had Norv Turner on offense and Horton on D...but we decided to careen off of that course)

We've turned a corner on the field also by letting some starters walk in free agency and bringing in younger guys.

After all of these corners, we're currently in a tunnel....and we won't know if we're headed in the right direction until we emerge into the light. We have to SEE the quality in Hue as an offensive coordinator and HC. We have to see more of the Harvard Geek Squad and their visionary work. (I'm ok with trying the Harvard approach - I'm sick of dumb-ass 'football' people)

We've taken a lot of corners since '99. Are these the navigators who are turning us in the right directions? Time, our eyes and ears, will tell.

It IS possible that we've turned a corner and are on a strait-a-way in the right direction. But we can't know that right now.

Things we DO know:

We don't have that pompous dope Farmer around. Mr. 'I don't draft WR's because they don't handle the ball enough. I sign midget free agents instead'. Mr. 'I don't need to go to QB pro days'...and then draft Manziel.

We go from that to the Geek Squad who identifies the problem and drafts 4 WR's. - That is a major corner turned!

We don't have Pettine and his bewildering defense and his genius of kicking a 60 yard field goal to Devin Hester standing in the middle of the end zone....TWICE. (I don't think I ever saw him coach anyone up)

We go from that to Hue...who's probably already coached up more players. And Hue brought in a seasoned and respected bunch of coaches. - To me, that's another corner turned. (I thought we had some pieces in place when we had Norv Turner on offense and Horton on D...but we decided to careen off of that course)

We've turned a corner on the field also by letting some starters walk in free agency and bringing in younger guys.

After all of these corners, we're currently in a tunnel....and we won't know if we're headed in the right direction until we emerge into the light. We have to SEE the quality in Hue as an offensive coordinator and HC. We have to see more of the Harvard Geek Squad and their visionary work. (I'm ok with trying the Harvard approach - I'm sick of dumb-ass 'football' people)

We've taken a lot of corners since '99. Are these the navigators who are turning us in the right directions? Time, our eyes and ears, will tell.

Excellent post! Very solid points without going off the deep end. Welcome to the Board.

Mike

Thanks muchly!

......anyone know what flaming hoop I need to jump through so as to put up my avatar? (does it take a certain number of posts or something?)

But we DO have one major "belly acher", pain in the ass that he/it is. VK, is that all you can do, is bitch?

Complainers seem to never be "doers". Please tell us, specifically, what you would do to make us great? I mean, like WHO you would have drafted & when. Give us the whole 7 rounds too.

Mike

Have already been through this. Look ass paste, my "bitching" is far less fucking annoying than listening to you jackoffs post about the team playing fucking laser tag as one of the reasons things are looking up.

Lmao right here

The problem the Browns have is NOT in the late rounds, the problem the Browns have is that they picked #2 and #32 overall and came away without one of the top 10 ranked players. Bosa, Lynch, Elliot, Doctson... even Wentz...................the rest is a crap shoot of even harder odds. Look man, when you have no QB WRs, RB, or pass rushers of note, it isn't being NEGATIVE to predict 2- 14 +/- one win. It is perfectly reasonable..........

Thanks muchly!

......anyone know what flaming hoop I need to jump through so as to put up my avatar? (does it take a certain number of posts or something?)

Not that I'm aware of. When you're logged in, go to the far upper right, find your screen name, and hit the drop down menu and select "My profile". From there it's Profile settings- & Photo. Then "Change my photo". You have options. :)

Ghoolish, you had your chance of doing a mock draft...

Next time, tell us AHEAD of the draft what you think, instead of

all this negative bs AFTER the draft.

BTW, they draft wr's. But you have to go figure out who they drafted to get it.

VK has repeatedly said "Bosa and Lynch" were the first two steps in his path to Browns' greatness.

... my "bitching" is far less fucking annoying than listening to you jackoffs post about the team playing fucking laser tag as one of the reasons things are looking up.

Could be a matter of perspective... or objectivity...

Not that I'm aware of. When you're logged in, go to the far upper right, find your screen name, and hit the drop down menu and select "My profile". From there it's Profile settings- & Photo. Then "Change my photo". You have options. :)

Only other thing I can think of is a size restriction...

Hue is the best head coach prospect we have had in longer than I can remember. Not so sure about the roster yet. I am optimistic because I just want to watch the Browns win; but, I am not saying we have made it to the promised land or anything. I just feel that we will be more competitive this season and just may be playoff contenders in a couple years. Just have to wait and see.

Okay, it's like this:

You're lost in the woods, for weeks... it freaking sucks, for weeks, ran out of water,

no telephone, and all of a sudden you find the trail again, you exactly how to get back,

and ight there is a nice, clear spring of perfect fresh water.

Sure, you haven't made it back home yet, but you are delighted

to be back on track.

Bitching that you aren't home yet misses the point. You are on your way.

Actually he did- on one count. He wanted Paxton Lynch bad.

Okay, it's like this:

You're lost in the woods, for weeks... it freaking sucks, for weeks, ran out of water,

no telephone, and all of a sudden you find the trail again, you exactly how to get back,

to be back on track.

The problem is that we thought wed seen that trail before and it lead us in a circle to exactly where we are and that spring was filled with venomous snakes and sewage.

Okay, it's like this:

to be back on track.

Then again the fifth or sixth time you feel that way and turn a corner that just has to be the one that leads you home and again you recognize that bent branch that tells you this is where you were many many days ago...

WSS.

Sounds like I need to take you guys out on a wilderness trip and

teach ya some learnin....

when you CLEARLY SEE that you are back on the CLEARLY MARKED TRAIL,

and the water is PERFECTLY FINE.....

nothing else matters. We're good.

geez. :mad:

Look man, when you have no QB WRs, RB, or pass rushers of note, it isn't being NEGATIVE to predict 2- 14 +/- one win. It is perfectly reasonable..........

Maybe one of these days you'll decide to bet on your horse before the race...

The WR Cleveland drafted in the 1st round scored 20 TDs in 2015 and 13 TDs in 2014.

Bosa had 5 sacks in 2015 while Nassib led the country with 15.5 sacks and Ogbah had 13 sacks.

Ouch. Good one

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but I don't think our team is going to START OUT as bad as predicted. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we're going to begin on any kind of winning streak, but I could see us winning a few games to start out the first 5 games. What's going to kill us are the inevitable injuries that plague every NFL team, and we simply won't have the depth to overcome them. Don't be surprised if we win a few more games early than many analysts predict. Our first six games are against the Eagles, Ravens, Dolphins, Redskins, Patriots, and Titans. Not exactly easy, but certainly not "murderers row". I'd bet money we win at least two, maybe 3 of them.

I think we see a smartly adapted defense and offense per the talents of the players.

That is huge right there.

The lack of wrs has been so obvious to oppoents and fans alike - but they

wouldn't fix it.

There is going to be a new era of Browns football - smart, excellently coached, well designed on both sides

of the los, and a fill-in of new players hand(s) picked to love the game, smart, terrific work ethic, and very talented.

No more "just one player" to turn things around. That's why the trade downs. I can see at least two more wins

just because. The ace in the hole is Hue. He knows the players in the division opponents, the coaches...

he's like the perfect HC to help put the Browns in the right direction.

Nobody is saying playoffs - but the difference is going to be dramatic in HOW they play every down.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but I don't think our team is going to START OUT as bad as predicted. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we're going to begin on any kind of winning streak, but I could see us winning a few games to start out the first 5 games. What's going to kill us are the inevitable injuries that plague every NFL team, and we simply won't have the depth to overcome them. Don't be surprised if we win a few more games early than many analysts predict. Our first six games are against the Eagles, Ravens, Dolphins, Redskins, Patriots, and Titans. Not exactly easy, but certainly not "murderers row". I'd bet money we win at least two, maybe 3 of them.

It was only 2 years ago when we got off to a 7-4 start playing around a big volume of injuries via a next man up "play like a Brown" mentality. We lost a lot of very close games in that 2104 season with either 2nd half leads or knotted scores. I know it wasn't the toughest schedule we've ever had; but we still had 3 playoff teams in our own division we had to play twice apiece. We beat 2 of them. Indy made the AFC Championship Game and we had a 2nd half lead on them. Carolina made the playoffs and we had a lead on them. If memory serves me right the only 2 teams that beat us easily were Cincy and Houston.

In so many of those games we had the effort but lacked the play makers to keep the leads and close the deal. It looks like our FO drafted some exciting play makers at WR. On top of that, Al Saunders is one of the best WR Coaches in this league. Back in 1999, he coached the greatest Show on Turf in St Louis and guided rookie WR Torry Holt and company to a Superbowl Championship. And who was the gotta have QB there? A former grocery store employee with zero experience starting in the NFL - Kurt Warner. St Louis paid big $ to sign FA QB Trent Green for that season and he blew out his knee in the preseason. The only 5 games in 1998 so what were their fans supposed to be predicting after Green went on IR before week 1?

I'm excited about what's been added and the season ahead. I think this team can be every bit as pleasantly surprising as our 2014 team appeared to be.

• 1 year later...
On 6/7/2016 at 7:59 PM, calfoxwc said:

Here...... Example 1. Every year its the same bullschidt.................. THIS IS THE SEASON...............WE FINALLY TURNED A CORNER.....................THIS IS WHAT WE AVE BEEN LACKING............ IN SEWAGE, HOLMGERN DORKEY  WE TRUST

Archived