THE BROWNS BOARD

This makes some sense

OK, along those lines, here is a list I put together of what I believe were major mistakes in the selection of the Best Picture Oscar.

First on list is the movie that won, next come the movie or movies that were better and should have won:

2014 Birdman.......Imitation Game should have won

2013 12 Years a Slave....ANY of the other 9 movies that were nominated that year were better

2011 The Artist.....close, but Moneyball or War Horse imo were better choices

2005 Crash....Good Night and Good Luck or Munich were better

1999 American Beauty....The Green Mile, better

1996 The English Patient....any of the other movies were better, but Fargo was the best

1994 Forrest Gump. not bad....but not as good as Pulp Fiction or The Shawshank Redemption

1990 Dances with Wolves....Goodfellas

1983 Terms of Endearment....The Right Stuff

1981 Chariots of Fire.....Raiders of the Lost Ark

1978 Kramer vs. Kramer...NEVER should even been nominated (perhaps the worst movie to ever win) Apocalypse Now, Breaking Away, Norma Rae, all better

1977 Annie Hall.....Star Wars

1969 Midnight Cowboy....Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

1964 My Fair Lady....Dr. Strangelove or Mary Poppins better

1956 Around the World in 80 Days....The Ten Commandments

1951 An American In Paris.....A Streetcar Named Desire

1947 Gentlemen's Agreement....Miracle on 34th Street

1941 How Green Was My Valley.....Citizen Kane...or The Maltese Falcon

1939 Gone With the Wind.....The Wizard of Oz.

(before that, I am not sure.

On the Best Actor side of things...it is not so bad. But here are a few that I thought coulda/shoulda won:

2000 Russell Crowe Gladiator.....not to bad, but Tom Hanks in Castaway could also easily have won.

1998 Roberto Benigni, Life Is Beautiful. Tom Hanks again, in Saving Private Ryan should have won

1978 Dustin Hoffman, Kramer vs. Kramer. Won for perhaps his worst performance. Jack Lemmon in China Syndrome plus any other choice would have been better

1977 Richard Dreyfus The Goodbye Girl John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever better

1974 Art Carney in Harry and Tonto (really was a lifetime award) Hoffman in Lenny, Pacino in Godfather II, Nicholson in Chinatown

1969 John Wayne in True Grit. Also a lifetime achievement award. One of his worst performances actually (Jeff Bridges was much better years later). Any other nominee likely would have been better....though less popular, choice.

1964 Rex Harrison My Fair Lady Complete fluff. Either Richard Burton or Peter O'Toole in Becket better, or Peter Sellers in Dr. Strangelove

1961 Maximillian Schell Judgment at Nuremburg. Paul Newman for The Hustler would have been better.

Before that, I won't judge.

I also won't judge the Best actress award. Can't recall any particular miscarriage of Justice there, though I suspect there have been some (other than to say that Meryl Streep could have won about 10 Oscars by now)

I agree with a lot of what these 2 have to say but judging movies is very subjective and unfortunately getting it "right" is not an exact science. There have been a few injustices and head scratchers but again it's subjective.

Yes, of course it is subjective. But if you say that Kramer vs. Kramer was the best movie of that year I'm gonna smack you upside the head. :P

Yes, of course it is subjective. But if you say that Kramer vs. Kramer was the best movie of that year I'm gonna smack you upside the head. :P

Absolutely not but I would say Terms of Endearment was better than The Right Stuff and 12 Years a Slave was incredible.

Archived