THE BROWNS BOARD

Jim O’Neil: ‘We will stop the run next year’

Tour2ma

I see a real commitment to winning now like I have not seen since we came back in 99. It was interesting to read of the coaches who turned down promotions elsewhere to stay in Cleveland. That goes against the whole negative narrative by some of the media of the team organization being "toxic" and "dysfunctional".

That goes against the whole negative narrative by some of the media of the team organization being "toxic" and "dysfunctional".

At least on the D-side...

Tells us something about the source of the dysfunction methinks.

Oh, this is going to be GREAT !!!!!!!

C'mon, cal... the clip was right there, man...

well if o'neill thinks the DLine were not the main culprits in NOT stopping the run does that mean (if we go defense first pick) that it will more than likely an OLB/DE? unless, of course, shelton drops to us?

I just love this stuff!

When was the last time we saw the kind of resolve in a coaching staff that we are now seeing out of these guys?

Mike

well if o'neill thinks the DLine were not the main culprits in NOT stopping the run does that mean (if we go defense first pick) that it will more than likely an OLB/DE? unless, of course, shelton drops to us?

I could see that. Sucks to have to use another high pick on OLB, but we just might have to.

Pettine's D staff believe's in Pettine period (and why not). That's why none have Baled. Somebody needs to inform Jim O'Neil of our stat of minus 48.5% of slacking D Front against the run. I believe being positive with media but....Wow..

O'Neil was our best coordinator last year, and I have high hopes he can fix the run D........ Hell, he simply has to if we are going to be competitive next year.

I like the language O'Neil uses here. He doesn't say they will be working to fix the run defense, or working to improve the run defense he says "we will stop the run next year". I believe him.

I like these coaches and I only wish Flip would have gotten hired last year.

Pettine's D staff believe's in Pettine period (and why not). That's why none have Baled. Somebody needs to inform Jim O'Neil of our stat of minus 48.5% of slacking D Front against the run. I believe being positive with media but....Wow..

Maybe they just realize that its the perfect job. You suck and the fans love your belief.

Maybe they just realize that its the perfect job. You suck and the fans love your belief.

Possible, but I'm going to guess it's more along the lines that they are learning a D that's very tough on the pass and being given a good deal of responsibility to develop their players in that system.

The latter is rewarding short-term and the former will be marketable as hell in the mid-term... especially if a good measure of run stopping is added without sacrificing effectiveness vs. the pass.

We wont stop anything until we get a real NT and a real MLB..Cut the BS cleveland coaches...

interesting to see the DC agrees that it was more than just the D line that sucked horse dick at run D last year.

He stopped short of saying they were the "only" cause(which I dont think anyone is saying)......but I took his comments to mean the others had to step up too....which wasn't the case......so, he's just saying it was a team effort....

He also talked about adjusting the scheme some to help them and moving some players to other positions(which is something a lot of us have talked about).....so, in addition to the line playing poorly and being injured, they are moving AB outside and putting Taylor back inside(both things that have been discussed here).....which tells me they may still be working out their personnel...

And, to me, that is all good!........cause, obviously they are not stubborn on their opinions and seem willing to admit mistakes and make adjustments.....which is how you get better.......and win!

interesting to see the DC agrees that it was more than just the D line that sucked horse dick at run D last year.

Consider that straw grabbed...

... obviously they are not stubborn on their opinions...

Damn right... that's our job!

Everyones excited and boasting about the words and ideas, and not about performance and winning.

Considering they dont play in the off season, it would be hard to get excited about performance or winning....wouldnt it?

Words and ideas are all we have right now........(you got any good ones to offer???)

Or, of course, we could just curl up in a ball on the floor and cry like lil babies.....which do you suggest?

Archived