THE BROWNS BOARD

Pass rusher at #12

LondonBrown

Personally I am pretty sure we are now going pass rusher at #12. Shelton will be gone (probably Chicago).

Randy Gregory and Dante Fowler will be gone but I'd love Shane Ray to fall to us, he is a warrior and exactly what they want "play like a Brown" to mean.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I am pretty sure we are now going pass rusher at #12. Shelton will be gone (probably Chicago).

Randy Gregory and Dante Fowler will be gone but I'd love Shane Ray to fall to us, he is a warrior and exactly what they want "play like a Brown" to mean.

If any of these GM's listen to their scouts, then Ray would be the first edge rusher off the board. I can only pray we stay away from Gregory and Fowler.

If any of these GM's listen to their scouts, then Ray would be the first edge rusher off the board. I can only pray we stay away from Gregory and Fowler.

Interesting, why don't you like those guys?

Interesting, why don't you like those guys?

Gregory I've had the chance to watch being he's in the B1G and that when the Bucks game is over, I usually turn in to watch NFL prospects on other teams.

Fowler I've come across when looking for Beasley. It's funny its being brought up because I have today off and I'm watching his tape against Florida State right now as my 2nd look.

Both are quite average against the run. Gregory doesn't have strength to hold the point or provide any push on a stunt.

Lacks a secondary pass rush move and arrives at the QB or ball carrier too high and not under control quite often.

Fowler: I like his first step but he doesn't have the ability to bend and get around the corner... if he does, its not something he does much of which is concerning. He prefers to attack the inside shoulder which will get him stood up quite a bit and he to, attacks high and doesn't always get under pads. Strange considering how much Florida used him as an A gap Blitzer. Hand usage is good to prevent being cut but from what I can tell, his sack numbers are from having a B line to the QB such as the designed A gap blitz. Decent pressure, but rarely can finish.

Beasley seems like more of the fit for our scheme. I"m not big anymore on taking college DE's and trying to convert them. If they never spent any time standing than they're not gonna work in the NFL as a 3-4 OLB'er as a general rule. I'd prefer guys who spent time standing and with their hand down. Beasley to me is that freakish guy that the Steelers always covet that can play the will or the jack. Kruger is a pure Jack. He needs a backup at that position, maybe armonty, but with the 12 pick we should take the stud who could do both.

I know we've talked about this before and it's of course not gonna happen..."but", if we decided to run some 4-3 looks we could have armonty and kruger as the ends and a LB'ing corp consisting of Dansby, Mingo, Beasley, Robertson and Kirksey. Mingo and Beasley would be beast blitzing 4-3 OLB'ers like how Denver uses Von Miller and Oak uses Mack. Especially Beasley as I think he can take straighter lines to the QB than Mingo.

How different, given their combine performances, are Beasely and Bud Dupree?

I was athinkin that Dupree may be a star in the pros, too.

How different, given their combine performances, are Beasely and Bud Dupree?

I was athinkin that Dupree may be a star in the pros, too.

Beasley is far more athletic in space, able to consistently get around the corner yet has some strength and a counter move.

Dupree relies heavily on a consistent bull rush and his abilities as a player are about as maxed as they'll get.

Beasley is far more athletic in space, able to consistently get around the corner yet has some strength and a counter move.

Do we really know this? Only ask as we have not seen him play with the added weight.

Do we really know this? Only ask as we have not seen him play with the added weight.

I'd think the scouts raving that he's maintained his speed during the drills and combine showing leans towards a yes.

If he showed signs of visibly being slower then I would have some serious concern. Weight aside, having a counter pass rush move that Dupree simply lacks still stands.

If Shelton is still there at 12 and the Browns draft him, would it make sense to draft Maxx Williams at 19?

I'm not following your logic.

I also do not see what many of you guys see in Maxx. He's a poor, poor man's Jason Witten, and unless you're a transcendent once-in-a-lifetime TE like Gronkowski—who, oddly enough, wasn't even drafted in the first round—i'd stay away from drafting one in the first round. We have much more pressing needs.

I also do not see what many of you guys see in Maxx.

Agree... folks are overreacting to Cam's departure.

That and there's that clip of Maxx hurdling a player. Best I can guess is it awoke a longing for Peyton Hillis' return...

We go best available talent. Honestly I rather get a reciever before a pass rusher. If our D stays healthy they are a top 10 Defense. Our offense needs so much work it only makes sense to get someone that is a reliable deep threat. Bowe Hartline Hawkins and Benjiman/Gabriel is not scaring any defense.

We go best available talent. Honestly I rather get a reciever before a pass rusher. If our D stays healthy they are a top 10 Defense. Our offense needs so much work it only makes sense to get someone that is a reliable deep threat. Bowe Hartline Hawkins and Benjiman/Gabriel is not scaring any defense.

Kruger had to have an epidural last year because he was literally playing every down the entire season. And that was with Sheard still on the team. Yes the Mingo injury meant that Kruger and Sheard had to pull more duty..with all 3 healthy we would have had a better rotation. But now that Sheards gone you wanna go through the season with zero depth? We have guys that could "possibly" fill Mingo's will spot but no one right now save perhaps if they think they can convert Armonty to the jack spot....can spell Kruger. We absolutely have to replace Sheard if they're not going to have Armonty pull some LB'er duty.

Kruger had to have an epidural last year because he was literally playing every down the entire season. And that was with Sheard still on the team. Yes the Mingo injury meant that Kruger and Sheard had to pull more duty..with all 3 healthy we would have had a better rotation. But now that Sheards gone you wanna go through the season with zero depth? We have guys that could "possibly" fill Mingo's will spot but no one right now save perhaps if they think they can convert Armonty to the jack spot....can spell Kruger. We absolutely have to replace Sheard if they're not going to have Armonty pull some LB'er duty.

So you go LB in the first round for a back up? Go first round for someone who will not play every down? No. You don't waste a first rounder on someone who is going to play a couple plays and learn on the bench. Especially at Lb. 3rd 4th 5th rounds imo is better and makes more sense. We need more help in offense. We can't win games with a laughable offense.

While I agree if you have 2 players equally rated talent wise I'd go defense over WR at this point. I don't think you simply draft a DT or OLB simply to get another guy in the rotation.

2 different publications have mock drafts that had Ray, Beasley, Fowler and Gregory off the board by pick #10 BEFORE we got the news Gregory couldn't refrain from marijuana again.

That pretty much puts us in a position of do we blow of any 1st or 2nd rated prospects at other positions we need help with to take the 5th or 6th highest rated pass rusher at #12? I think this is where we need to go BPA instead of forcing something else...

2 different publications have mock drafts that had Ray, Beasley, Fowler and Gregory off the board by pick #10 BEFORE we got the news Gregory couldn't refrain from marijuana again.

That pretty much puts us in a position of do we blow of any 1st or 2nd rated prospects at other positions we need help with to take the 5th or 6th highest rated pass rusher at #12? I think this is where we need to go BPA instead of forcing something else...

or trade back......??

I now have 7 guys I like at #12....and 13 overall that I like at #19.....meaning all the ones Id like to pick could easily be gone.....so trades, reaches or BPA become the options.....(and I hate reaches)......

so, trade back and gain a couple picks?.....or pick a RB, SS or TE where you'd rather pick D?......some ugly scenarios are likely, if your askin me...

Trade back has to be considered. Could be there's no one you love, but five players you like at a pick. If there's no great need imbalance to determine who to take, why not take an offer to trade down three spots or so. You still get one of the five.

fuck the trade back, i want a james harrison type LB or a Suh type DL with pick 12, this D is a ILB and a DL away from being an elite D. Then get me a RT at pick 19. After that go PBA with the rest of the picks.

fuck the trade back, i want a james harrison type LB or a Suh type DL with pick 12, this D is a ILB and a DL away from being an elite D. Then get me a RT at pick 19. After that go PBA with the rest of the picks.

While I don't think many of us disagree you may not find anything better at #12 than you would at #19 based on draft order. If you get "your" guy at #19 and trade #12 for a later first and a third you may get two guys you love in the first round and another guy in the third that makes you deeper.

Remember we thought Gilbert at #8 was another lockdown corner.....still thinking

Archived