THE BROWNS BOARD

2015 - FA / Draft / Notes

JAFBF

Quick look, didn't see anything like this up yet, if so just merge it.

Just saw something I thought would be interesting to put out for the Board :

Nate Ulrich @NateUlrichABJ · 9m 9 minutes ago #Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said drafting a QB in first round this year is on the table. "We've got to get it fixed."

Video Interview with Haslam :

Sounds like the shine's rubbed off of JFF as far as Haslam is concerned.

A few more bits to add :

Mary Kay Cabot @MaryKayCabot · 45m 45 minutes ago 1/2: #Browns Haslam: "It'll be up to Flip and Pett to decide whether (Manziel) can be the kind of quarterback we need him to be...

And :

Mary Kay Cabot @MaryKayCabot · 41m 41 minutes ago #Browns Haslam stressed that Manziel and Connor Shaw will be given a chance but must prove it over time, also said Hoyer still possibility.

Few more notes :

Tony Grossi @TonyGrossi · 22m 22 minutes ago #Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said he and top team advisors will go on 3-day retreat starting Sunday for strategic planning.

For those that haven't seen it in the other thread, the Browns reached out to the Hoyer camp today with a Contract extension :

Tony Grossi @TonyGrossi · 21m 21 minutes ago W/ Brian Hoyer looking like #Browns best QB option, team warming to idea of bringing him back. Owner Jimmy Haslam: Every option on table.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/11341/browns-reach-out-to-brian-hoyers-camp-about-contract-extension

Leave no stone unturned - have to say I like Haslam's desire to build a winner :

Tony Grossi @TonyGrossi · 9m 9 minutes ago When discussing #Browns QB search, owner Jimmy Haslam made point of shouting out Connor Shaw for "playing really well" in final game.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to put the up before moving on for the night since it does fall into one of the Title categories.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/mock-drafts/bucky-brooks/215607

I've seen a few Mock Drafts, and most of them have us taking Danny Shelton (DT) at #12, and a WR (varies who) at #19.

I agree with the DT pick as he's the highest ranked DT in the Draft at this point, and I think DL should be our first pick.

WR in the 1st?

Doesn't fit Farmers MO, and to me at this #19 we get either the best OL available or a LB/DL.

No way do I see us taking a WR in the 1st, at least not this year.

We've got a lot of DL FA that likely won't be returning, so it's likely we'll need to beef this area up.

Free Agency of course will dictate the priorities, but I really think DL @ 12, and OL @ 19 is what we'll see at this point.

Suh coming to Cleveland?

Yeah, we've got the Cap room, but the Attitude and Post Payday performance are pretty big question marks - he's looking at $68M ?

Don't see Rubin coming back, he was $8M last year which is just way over his level of performance.

Sheard was hurt but played last year, he might be back, but he's better on 4-3 than 3-4 & Hybrids that we've run.

Taylor has had a lot of injuries the past few years, so I don't know that we can count on him.

Kitchen I think we might bring back, but he had his share of injuries as well.

Fua, I just don't know - if there's something better available we'll likely go that route.

Our free agency acquisitions will alter allot. I don't really see a must get qb coming out this year. We can get a guard and a dt with our picks in the first round. Get a wr te and a cb in free agency. Bring back Hoyer as a vet qb. Let the young ones prove them selves.

All we can do is hope Shelton is still there at 12 after what he shows at senior bowl. Still like Cam Erving FSU OL that played every OL position at 2nd pick. Draft is full of WR,TE? FA first will tell us our draft needs. Also have seen Greg Hardy WR and Cardin QB both from ECU and both can play and our getable mid to late rounds.

Our free agency acquisitions will alter allot. I don't really see a must get qb coming out this year. We can get a guard and a dt with our picks in the first round. Get a wr te and a cb in free agency. Bring back Hoyer as a vet qb. Let the young ones prove them selves.

If this team drafts a god damn guard in the first round I'll stick my dick in meat grinder.

Too many holes at OLB, ILB, WR, TE, and DL

As I've mentioned before, it's overtly obvious WR in the first round is not something the best of the best have done (see Super Bowl and Championship teams). The Browns need to focus on making their best unit, defense, stronger with early picks. I love the NT idea and at 19 going for a good DE/OLB or the top ILB prospect. I think we obviously should look at some WR's, but 3rd round or later is fine for that. I wouldn't mind a OL with the high 2nd as well (we had pretty good luck with that this past year that's for sure).

I know Manziel brings up emotions here but Hoyer is back up level talent. He showed that plain as day on the field when the league adjusted to his game. If you want that type of talent leading us for another year until we draft a QB, than he may be the best available. But (and I'm not trying to stir the pot here) he's not the franchise guy.

If this team drafts a god damn guard in the first round I'll stick my dick in meat grinder.

Too many holes at OLB, ILB, WR, TE, and DL

I am surprised that no one yet has rooted to have a guard drafted. Lucky for you that the highest rated OG are not projected to go til the 2d/3rd round:

A.J. Cann OG 1 South Carolina rSr 6-3 311 2 58 Tre' Jackson OG 2 Florida State Sr 6-4 323 2 64 Arie Kouandjio OG 3 Alabama rSr 6-5 318 2 76 Josue Matias OG 4 Florida State Sr 6-6 325 2-3 86 John Miller OG 5 Louisville Sr 6-3 315 3 97 Laken Tomlinson OG 6 Duke rSr 6-3 323 3

In a weak QB class, what player could the Browns possibly be considering in the 1st round at that position ?!?!

Hopefully the answer is none.

I could Mariota falling some but someone will want him in the top 10. Winston will rise like crazy and I feel about 75% sure he'll be the number 1 pick. After that, the prospects fall off a cliff that's for sure. Hundley I suppose may be the next guy off the board but he's only got the size. They say the sleeper prospect is Grayson from Colorado State who I have no idea about. He's in the senior bowl though so I'm hoping to see more of him, he's getting a Romo comparison.

I would not mind Scherff at all. He's a lock to go top 10 though

Ditto, I just think D (front 7) are the bigger needs as of now.

The DT pick was the highest ranked and was there for our pick (assuming no trades).

I'd love to grab a killer LB, there just haven't been any the past couple years when we've been up that rated high enough.

I know Manziel brings up emotions here but Hoyer is back up level talent. He showed that plain as day on the field when the league adjusted to his game. If you want that type of talent leading us for another year until we draft a QB, than he may be the best available. But (and I'm not trying to stir the pot here) he's not the franchise guy.

Hoyer's biggest problem was the middle of the OL after Mack left and Greco returned to G.

When you get Sacked up the middle on a 3 Man Rush you got problems.

At this point if you watch his throwing mechanics went to hell - most throws were off his back foot, and unable to follow through.

Is he a top QB?

No, but I do think he is Starter quality, probably lower than mid grade, but in the right system can do well enough.

Didn't help that our Running game pretty much went spastic either.

Still no guarantee we'll even re-sign him, but at least they're talking.

I am surprised that no one yet has rooted to have a guard drafted. Lucky for you that the highest rated OG are not projected to go til the 2d/3rd round:

A.J. Cann OG 1 South Carolina rSr 6-3 311 2 58 Tre' Jackson OG 2 Florida State Sr 6-4 323 2 64 Arie Kouandjio OG 3 Alabama rSr 6-5 318 2 76 Josue Matias OG 4 Florida State Sr 6-6 325 2-3 86 John Miller OG 5 Louisville Sr 6-3 315 3 97 Laken Tomlinson OG 6 Duke rSr 6-3 323 3

Oh, I think we'll grab a G in the 2nd, but I was thinking 19 might be an OT if that's the best option at the time.

Keep in mind, Farmer said last year something along the lines of the best pick being the OL guy Dallas grabbed in the 1st (Martin?) - so I can see Farmer grabbed some OL high if they're good enough.

Good collection of stuff...

Adding at least one, interior O-lineman is a must. I see an FA and a draft pick in the cards. How high the pick may well depend upon the FA signed. But I do not see first-round worthy OG/C prospects that are not being disguised as OT prospects at this point. A couple of these are having their value inflated by being included in this group. I think Sherff is one of these. I love his speed, but am wary of prospects who "only need to improve their pass protection footwork" to be NFL grade OTs... especially in round one.

However, unless Painter is some as yet unwrapped gem, we need an OT as well. I like Miami's Flowers as an OT prospect and think he could slide inside as well. Unless a real OT run develops, and they often do, he should be around at #19.

The 2015 DT draft pool for both our DT and DE needs looks pretty deep this year. Two picks from this group would not surprise me.

He made it clear that Johnny knows they expect him to be a professional on AND off the field so now it's up to Johnny.

2014: Johnny v Playbook

2015: Johnny v Playbook+Temptation???

Odds are getting longer...

Hoyer's biggest problem was the middle of the OL after Mack left and Greco returned to G.

When you get Sacked up the middle on a 3 Man Rush you got problems.

At this point if you watch his throwing mechanics went to hell - most throws were off his back foot, and unable to follow through.

Is he a top QB?

No, but I do think he is Starter quality, probably lower than mid grade, but in the right system can do well enough.

Didn't help that our Running game pretty much went spastic either.

Still no guarantee we'll even re-sign him, but at least they're talking.

You know, I would have agreed with you in some regards until I saw him play live this year. I wouldn't argue in a perfect system he may look okay. But the Browns need a franchise guy who can overcome that type of "system only" mentality. I just know enough of Hoyer to realize he's a guy who isn't going to make all the throws and can only win when the running game is well above average. It may drive people bonkers but I'd rather see if Manziel has upside than go through another mediocre QB year. You can only miss so many wide open throws.

If they do try and re-sign him I hope it's a 2 year deal max.

Here's our FA status :

Jabaal Sheard OLB 25 UFA
Buster Skrine CB 25 UFA
Johnson Bademosi S 24 RFA
Tashaun Gipson S 24 RFA
Craig Robertson ILB 26 ERFA
Ishmaa'ily Kitchen DT 26 RFA
Jim Leonhard S 32 UFA
Sione Fua DT 26 UFA
Emanuel Davis CB 26 RFA
Zac Diles ILB 29 UFA

Miles Austin WR 30 UFA
Jordan Cameron TE 26 UFA
Brian Hoyer QB 29 UFA
Marlon Moore WR 27 UFA
Andre Smith TE 26 RFA
Ryan Seymour G 24 ERFA
Shaun Draughn RB 27 UFA
Tyler Thigpen QB 30 UFA
Jermaine Saffold WR 25 RFA
Matt Cleveland G 25 RFA
Jake Anderson G 26 RFA

Definitely see more holes opened on D

RT / RG may be our weak spot on O, and they're not terrible but they're not Superstar either.

FA and the Combine is going to give a us shuffle, so it should be interesting to see how things shape up.

Hoyer is 29 and is not likely to be our long term guy.

Manziel as of now is a total bust, and that may be well because he just hasn't put to effort in (too much partying).

It's up to him to prove myself and others wrong, I just don't know that he's willing to put in the effort.

Basically we still don't have our long term QB, and in this Draft we're not likely to get one.

Until we do get one, and even after, we're going to need a QB - Hoyer's probably the best option.

Manziel's also got the Locker Room in disarray :

Now the Browns point to 2015 with a talented but misguided quarterback who must repair the wreckage done in his own locker room.

Interviews by ESPN.com with nearly 20 Browns sources, both on the record and on condition of anonymity, along with several NFL personnel sources reveal the Manziel-related problems run deep.

Those who spoke talked of a year-long pattern that showed a lack of commitment and preparation, a failure to be ready when given a chance in his first start against Cincinnati and a continued commitment to nightlife, which affected his preparation and work while in the team facility.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12216266/cleveland-browns-quarterback-johnny-manziel-struggled-commitment-preparation-sources-said

I hope we address WR in FA cause there's some great one's that could potentially had. If we can't land a FA WR then yeah we'll likely have to draft one and probably with a high pick, "IF" there's someone worthy of that once we pick...not sure. Last years class was the one to get a #1 WR. If we do land a FA WR then we need to get the BPA at either DT, OL or LB in the 1st round. If there's a great OL prospect there at 12 who likely will absolutely not be there at 19...then we may have to jump on that guy. I don't see Scwartz as being Thomas's eventual replacement and that's what we need to start cultivating now. If the elite OL are gone though than probably you take Shelton with 12 and hopefully Perrymans there at 19. We need to use FA to get an OLB'er if we're staying 3-4. We should be able to get either Orakpo, Abraham or Worilds. Hell if Petting thinks he can use JPP like he used Mario in Buffalo than get JPP. He's rated as the best edge defender in all of football, DE or OLB'er.

I hope we address WR in FA cause there's some great one's that could potentially had. If we can't land a FA WR then yeah we'll likely have to draft one and probably with a high pick, "IF" there's someone worthy of that once we pick...not sure. Last years class was the one to get a #1 WR. If we do land a FA WR then we need to get the BPA at either DT, OL or LB in the 1st round. If there's a great OL prospect there at 12 who likely will absolutely not be there at 19...then we may have to jump on that guy. I don't see Scwartz as being Thomas's eventual replacement and that's what we need to start cultivating now. If the elite OL are gone though than probably you take Shelton with 12 and hopefully Perrymans there at 19. We need to use FA to get an OLB'er if we're staying 3-4. We should be able to get either Orakpo, Abraham or Worilds. Hell if Petting thinks he can use JPP like he used Mario in Buffalo than get JPP. He's rated as the best edge defender in all of football, DE or OLB'er.

From comments DeFilippo made, it sounds like we'll have Gordon at least this year (or until he screws up again).

The comments and actions of Farmer really make it difficult for me to see him grabbing a "skill" player in the 1st round.

Farmer is going to get QB, OL, DL, LB, or DB in the 1st since they are more involved on a per snap basis.

I expect WR Austin to get an offer, so that's one.

FA wise for WR, we really don't know who's going to actually get to FA yet before being re-signed.

No way will Schwatz be Joe's replacement, we'll have to find them in the Draft.

If there is a really stellar OT available I could see us getting them at #12, I just don't know if there's that quality of player available this year at that point.

DL is where we're going to take the biggest hit, that's why I see DL being our first pick.

Sure, we could afford Suh Cap wise, but Attitude/Age/Performance and impact post Payday I have serious questions about.

I want a LB in the mold of Lawerance Taylor/Mike Singletary/Ray Lewis . . . actually, I want a freakin' Wild Man at MLB/ILB.

Don't think that's here this year.

Cap there, We pay Suh as FA and with pick number 12 or move up a couple slots for Danny Shelton our D Line is AFCN Beast. LB Peryman at the U 2nd 1st round pick, Stop the run is done and points against keeps our O in any game. Get a damn QB and don't care if he's from the CFL.

Cap there, We pay Suh as FA and with pick number 12 or move up a couple slots for Danny Shelton our D Line is AFCN Beast. LB Peryman at the U 2nd 1st round pick, Stop the run is done and points against keeps our O in any game. Get a damn QB and don't care if he's from the CFL.

Yeah I agree.

I subscribe to the philosophy - "Offense wins game. Defense wins Championships"

Problem is Suh's attitude and reputation.

I'm not sure it would be a good thing for this Team.

Then again, maybe we need some nastiness inserted into this Team . . .

I want Jordan Phillips the massive tackle from Oklahoma... 6-6, 335 with athleticism. Rotate Phillips with Taylor at NT and also play a little 2/3 tech in hybrid fronts. Sign Suh to play the 5 tech (can obviously play the 4i or 2/3 in hybrid/odd for fronts)....

Those guys with the Bryants rotating on one side would create a fantastic front. Winn rotates with Suh and Hughes simply plays first/second down and provides depth

Cedric Thornton from Philly would be a good DE for stopping the run. Yes, not much against the pass, but that's also everyone else on the roster not named Kruger.

Do we have the cap space for Orakpo or Justin Houston?

Do we have the cap space for Iupati?

Is Locker worth anyone's time?

I want Jordan Phillips the massive tackle from Oklahoma... 6-6, 335 with athleticism. Rotate Phillips with Taylor at NT and also play a little 2/3 tech in hybrid fronts. Sign Suh to play the 5 tech (can obviously play the 4i or 2/3 in hybrid/odd for fronts)....

Those guys with the Bryants rotating on one side would create a fantastic front. Winn rotates with Suh and Hughes simply plays first/second down and provides depth

After this past year, it's pretty obvious we need to up the quality of our Depth.

We're going to get hurt this year, and we need Players that can come in and really contribute.

This also fit's in with the House Cleaning I through out last year, or as Tour called it "pruning" (which I totally agree with).

We've got to improve the overall quality of this Team from Starter, to rotational Players, to just flat out backups.

With our first hand experience of "next man up", we need that "next man" to of better quality than what we've seen.

I'd love to have Suh's talent on this Team . . . there's just too many Red Flags for me to be comfortable with this though.

The House Cleaning I keep bringing up refers to more than just "lolly gagging" Players, it also includes Players that really just don't have the fire/Talent that we need to move forward.

We've really been fortunate to grab some Talented players in later rounds/UDFA.

We need to keep doing this, but we really need to hit big on our high round picks.

Though not addressed in this reply, I think Gilbert can really be good, he just has to want it.

The guy was the number 1 ranked CB, but the money and NFL transition has really possed a challenge to this guy so far.

Desir still needs a lot of work, but looks like he will be really good.

Williams is a gem, he just needs to build his durability.

I need to look over the Draft prospects, but from what I've seen, it's not outside the realm of possibilities that the Browns will grab a CB high in the Draft if there's one there at their pick.

Like what? Getting 2 busts in the 1st? Again? That was really magical.

LOL.

Yeah, not real funny to be on the receiving end though.

Gilbert still has a shot - he's got the Tools & Skills, just needs the will and effort.

JFF is a long shot - don't know if he's got either, definitely needs the effort to even show if he's got the Skills.

Not directly addressing your comment, but pertains to this years Draft and so forth.

I'm definitely not an NFL caliber Scout, and I haven't spent a whole lot of time watching every College game this past year.

Mariota is not a QB candidate we want to go after (sorry Ray).

I'm not just jumping on the hate Mariota Bandwagon, I said this last year when he was first brought to my attention.

Seems to be a nice guy, smart and all that.

The hype everyone's ever pointed me too about how great he was . . . well, his Receivers were so damn wide open that I could have hit them for a huge gain . . . and I'm an OMF.

How does that show he's a great QB?

Pretty much said the same about Trent Richardson (on a now defunct Forum) that of outside of one play, I didn't see why he was that great since the Alabama line essentially cleared the field for him.

One time in his highlights did I see him take on a DB and move things that looked good.

Also have on here somewhere where with pics where he just totally misses holes you could drive a couple of Tanks through.

I really think Mariota falls into this category as of this point in time - OSU sure seemed to be on to him.

Haven't watched Wintson, but he's likely to go #1 from what I've read - no way can we go after him so it's a mute point.

If Ray tries to go after Mariota (whom he was really high on last year), then not only am I going to be extremely disappointed, but I'll also be looking for us to get a new FO.

I really expect our FO to have more vision than that, and I really like what Ray has done so far.

On a personal agenda note, after posting some of those Haslam/Cardale pics . . . I would really like to see us grab this guy next year if possible.

Kid.s unflappable, has the Arm, touch and is flat out built for the beating our Division elicits.

I don't care if we have to sit him for three years to develop him, I think he could turn us into the Dynasty we've all been waiting for.

Meanwhile, I'd have no issues with seeing Hoyer briding/mentoring the gap.

Archived