THE BROWNS BOARD

Spider man homecoming review

Spider Man homecoming

Marvel

PG13. 134 min

Hi everybody, sorry in advance but we've talked about this before. It's the summer season and the studios don't want to waste any creative energy to try to get the kids into the seats so, as usual, it's time for a rehash.

So far it doesnt look like thats been paying off as it has in the past. I think maybe pirate fatigue combined with bad reviews have led to a disappointing return for PIRATE S OF THE CARIBBEAN 5 yet theres still a sequel simmering in the kettle. The surprise hits so far have been WONDER WOMAN and BABY DRIVER, both first time efforts. The latest reincarnations of cars, DESPICABLE 3 and TRANSFORMERS have all shown relatively disappointing returns.

This time around its SPIDER-MAN again which has to be one of the most often reprised franchises of recent history. Seems like theres a new one just about every week. Still this installation seems a little bit fresher than usual so Marvel and Sony may just have dodged a bad sequel bullet.

I will start with my usual disclaimer which goes like this. Ive always been a bigger fan of DC than Marvel Comics but I understand the changes Stan Lee made to the characters he imitated have made them easier for modern generations to relate to. While Superman was invincible and interesting mostly to small children, teenagers probably appreciate the angst and, well, whining of Spider-Man and the rest of the Marvel horde. And frankly the history doesnt matter that much since the original fans in the 30s are probably just about extinct. Not only that but considering the shrinking attention span of young audiences theyve probably forgotten last weeks version of SPIDER-MAN already.

At least theyre not going through yet another origin story with the radioactive spider etc, and we have a new Spider-Man and an even more nerdly Peter Parker in Tom Holland. The rest of the cast is fairly impressive including Michael Keaton, Robert Downey jr., Gwyneth Paltrow and Marisa Tomei.

With this reboot our hero is even less suave and debonair as he had grown into the last few episodes. Hes now more of a dork than ever, a high school kid just coming into his own with his newfound power. As a a matter of fact the agency seems to be toying with the idea of making him a member of The Avengers (I hope not, I think THE AVENGERS suck) despite his youth and inexperience. Tony Stark, Iron Man, is something of a mentor popping in once in a while to help out the kid when his crime-fighting escapades take a wrong turn. It doesnt appear they believe hes ready for the big show even when he stumbles across a plot buy some villains who have been developing and selling super weapons. There are certainly enough twists and turns to make a basic plot of gaining respect and uncovering the bad guys to keep it interesting and give a serious tone to the other half of the film which is Peter Parker Parker getting the respect of his high school classmates.

I will give you a hint its actually worth waiting for the very end of the movie as it sometimes is with Marvel features. Theres obviously going to be a sequel and some of the questions that will be answered include Peter hooking up with the Avengers and how such a charismatic actor as Keaton could be such a horrible villain.

No spoilers this time kids.

B

WSS

Archived