THE BROWNS BOARD

Globalist Trump proposes increase to military spending, cuts to domestic spending

The reason I don't worry too much about cuts in domestic spending is that I truly believe that every public organization from the military to the EPA down to the food stamps is probably bloated beyond belief and could easily be trimmed by a substantial amount and still provide the exact same quality of service.

WSS

So the amount of Food Stamps distributed will not go down? The CDC will be as effective? The SEC?

I'm not a fan of his budget proposal for 2018.

Uh-oh... we agree on something.

So the amount of Food Stamps distributed will not go down? The CDC will be as effective? The SEC?

Uh-oh... we agree on something.

Certainly not. All those programs are within a dollar of going tits up.

Not one can afford to give up a single penny. God-bless you for fighting the good fight.

WSS

A lot like the school Levy.

Ballpark of 85% goes to salary benefits and administration.

And be honest what portion of people who receive food stamps actually really need them? And how many are happy to take a perk if it's their? Kind of like the school lunch program. There's probably not one kid in most schools whose families are to destitute to sport the little 'fucker a bite to eat. But tell the Hudson school district there might be a cut...

WSS

And be honest what portion of people who receive food stamps actually really need them?

I'd venture 95%...

"Food Stamps" is the nickname multiple programs administered by the US Dept of Agriculture under the banner of the Food and Nutrition Services Program (FNS). These include the:

• Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP);
  • Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC);
  • Child Nutrition Programs (National School Lunch, School Breakfast, Child and Adult Care, Summer Food Service and Special Milk); and
  • Food Distribution Programs (Schools, Emergency Food Assistance, Indian Reservations, Commodity Supplemental, Nutrition for the Elderly, and Charitable Institutions).

The 2008 recession jacked up the rolls. Ultimately, and for the first time, growing unemployment made adults of working age the largest population segment receiving food assistance. The long-term leaders, children and the elderly have been slowly returning to their traditional, leading roles as the recovery has ground along. Over 30,000,000 kids qualify for the school lunch program; 66% of them at no charge. About 14,500,000 qualify for the breakfast program.

The biggest program, SNAP, has over 44,000,000 recipients. The average spent on each? About $125 per month... no one's getting fat on "food stamps"... except maybe the milk lobby, but "their program" has been shrinking steadily.

What some conveniently forget is that the Food Stamp expansion in the 90's was part of the Gingrich-Clinton budget deal that slashed "welfare". If you recall there was a trap whereby a welfare recipient that took a minimum wage job lost not only their welfare check, but their food and housing subsidies. Thus it cost the recipient money when they went to work. The "deal" incentivized working by making it more rewarding to work and still receive food assistance.

Stagnation of wages and the aging population have kept the number of adults qualifying for assistance high. Take care of wages and SS and your "food stamp" costs will go down.

Stats from: https://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/overview

EDIT: ... and the last study found the SNAP fraud rate, a/k/a "food stamp trafficking", to be 1.3%... lowest percentage of all major, federal programs.

To be honest I've never thought food stands for that big of a chunk out of the economy and let's face it any cut will be met with a full head of stream by the farm States.

Still I would wonder what percentage of the food stamp recipients smoke ciggarettes drink alcohol or play the lottery

WSS

But I'm sure you'd be happy to sneer at the military who goes boo-hoo hoo every time a cut to their funding is mentioned.

WSS

Funny how a lot of those farm states voted, no?

Ahh the old "I bet you love people getting free stuff but our troops".

Also I'm finding the poster I once thought reasonable, level headed and willing to read between the lines is either gone or, with his post count increasing - never existed.

Do not throw bullshit at me like I'm some alt left cunt that would disband

our police and military. I have friends that were affected by BAH cuts 3 years ago that I was completely oppossed to.

You're reaching is bordering on insult. Especially to people like Tour and myself that are rather centrist.

ah. the old "I'M NOT LIBERAL LEFT, I'M CENTRIST"

lollol.

yeah. "snicker" I think any of us would remember you criticizing obaMao's budget.

nah.

Also I'm finding the poster I once thought reasonable, level headed and willing to read between the lines is either gone or, with his post count increasing - never existed.

our police and military. I have friends that were affected by BAH cuts 3 years ago that I was completely oppossed to.

You're reaching is bordering on insult. Especially to people like Tour and myself that are rather centrist.

Yeah I'd agree that Steve seems to have changed from even a year ago. Idk if it was an effect of trump or what.

Also, to Steve's earlier point. There's a difference between funding something less and making it more efficient. There's waste in every govt org. But putting less into food stamps won't cut out the waste.

We'd be much better served to work on taking the waste out of the military than funding it more

ah. the old "I'M NOT LIBERAL LEFT, I'M CENTRIST"

lollol.

yeah. "snicker" I think any of us would remember you criticizing obaMao's budget.

nah.

I actually unblocked this post to let you know the BAH cuts I referred to were under his leadership and I did not approve of that at all. (of course it was only made possible by Congress)

My voting record speaks for itself. Never once voted for Obama or Hilary.

The closest left leaning "liberal" I voted for was my home district state Rep.

As I said before I even considered registering as a replublican for the primaries this year. As I was listed as unaffiliated (I believe was the box I checked those years ago?)

You're laughably out of your league here, Cal. The most respectable disagreements I've offered when I first started on this board were met with nothing but hostility and name calling and talking down from you.

I even belong to a libertarian board for good measure.

I believe you need a mental eval as the multiple responses to your own theads with nobody else present, combine with links and links - some not even related to the material topic you start, are reason enough to think you're following things with the tenacity of a true sociopath.

I'd prefer not to regard you like this as we share a brotherhood in Cleveland football but from one person to another I say this from my heart ... on this side of the board at least, you're a complete dickhole.

Get at me should we wish to mutually extend the olive branch and revel in true discourse. I'll be happy to share all that bothered me about Obama. Including corporate centrism ans what I believe was the greatest bait and switch in modern American politics.

Actually I think you are crying unnecessarily here. I certainly think the military could tighten their belts and make do just as well with less bloat. I'm just saying that whenever somebody wants to cut the military they cry like little girls just like the liberals wring their hands about people who aren't getting enough free shit.

WSS

Actually I think you are crying unnecessarily here. I certainly think the military could tighten their belts and make do just as well with less bloat. I'm just saying that whenever somebody wants to cut the military they cry like little girls just like the liberals wring their hands about people who aren't getting enough free shit.

WSS

Oh, so I mentioned something about military cuts?

If not, why make the association with what I've been talking about?

Oh, so I mentioned something about military cuts?

If not, why make the association with what I've been talking about?

Don't know that I was addressing you personally, if I was I didn't mean to make it man to man. Just in general. Anybody that proposes cutting the military, the people in charge there who have a fit about national security. Same as the democrats if somebody proposes few bucks less for social services they screen that people will be dying in the streets.

But we can make it more personal. Do you think the military could live with a little less money? How about any other agency?

I just personally think that each and every one could trim some fat.

WSS

Personally I took WSS's "military cut" comment as one of his more transparent bait-traps...

To be honest I've never thought food stands for that big of a chunk out of the economy and let's face it any cut will be met with a full head of stream by the farm States.

Still I would wonder what percentage of the food stamp recipients smoke ciggarettes drink alcohol or play the lottery

That would be in the fraud percentage, Steve... 1.3% overall.

One of the fraud factors are the food deserts that surround the limited choices that are available to many SNAP and WIC recipients. The small "bodegas", often with limited or no qualifying inventory, that tend to populate poorer, inner-city neighborhoods are the source of much of the fraud. The percentage fraud falls to 0.5% in areas where major store chains are accessible.

And, yes, the farm-states play a major roll in "safeguarding" the assistance programs. That they are under the auspicious of The Dept. Of Ag is no accident. Dems put it there when the welfare deal was cut...

But I'm sure you'd be happy to sneer at the military who goes boo-hoo hoo every time a cut to their funding is mentioned.

BAIT TRAP!

Anybody that proposes cutting the military, the people in charge there who have a fit about national security. Same as the democrats if somebody proposes few bucks less for social services they screen that people will be dying in the streets.

WSS

Interesting phrasing you used in your two "like" scenarios

I actually unblocked this post to let you know the BAH cuts I referred to were under his leadership and I did not approve of that at all. (of course it was only made possible by Congress)

My voting record speaks for itself. Never once voted for Obama or Hilary.

The closest left leaning "liberal" I voted for was my home district state Rep.

As I said before I even considered registering as a replublican for the primaries this year. As I was listed as unaffiliated (I believe was the box I checked those years ago?)

You're laughably out of your league here, Cal. The most respectable disagreements I've offered when I first started on this board were met with nothing but hostility and name calling and talking down from you.

I even belong to a libertarian board for good measure.

I believe you need a mental eval as the multiple responses to your own theads with nobody else present, combine with links and links - some not even related to the material topic you start, are reason enough to think you're following things with the tenacity of a true sociopath.

I'd prefer not to regard you like this as we share a brotherhood in Cleveland football but from one person to another I say this from my heart ... on this side of the board at least, you're a complete dickhole.

Get at me should we wish to mutually extend the olive branch and revel in true discourse. I'll be happy to share all that bothered me about Obama. Including corporate centrism ans what I believe was the greatest bait and switch in modern American politics.

oh, yeah. that's a great start. lol

I listed several links because certain dimwits, like you know who ("bird is word")... bitch when only one source is offered up.

A. You are STILL registered as a dem? I don't get that. conflicts with the rest of your post.

B. A lot of dems registered as republicans to vote in their primaries because they want an easy opponent for their lib homey.

Not impressive.

C. You personal attacks duly noted, the person I really am, is like how I post on the Brownsboard.

D. I believe I'm pretty good at not giving people crap unless they give it to me a good bit. You gave me some crap

on the Brownsboard side, so it carried over here with your posts.

E. You can ignore my threads easily. Why emphatic numerous sources gives you panic attacks - well, perhaps that

is something you need to work out. Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house, eh?

F. Fook you, and have a nice day.

So cal's a different person here?

I guess you need to read more of the thread. That way you would see that whoever's ox is being gored will cry that it's the end of the world.

I'm pretty sure I'm current...

But put that way... we all want to see programs that fit our philosophy preferentially funded. For me military budget is a question of: how strong is strong enough? Where is the line between "security" and Defense Industry "welfare".

When facts like that our Air Force is substantially bigger, more powerful than the second-largest, flying force in the world surface, then that strikes me as somewhat excessive.

When the fact arises that the 2nd-largest, flying force belongs to our US Navy, then that strikes me as pretty excessive.

When both those forces are essentially unused assets due to the changing nature of our enemies, i.e., border-free terrorist groups vs. nation-states, plus our understandable aversion to putting pilots in harms way vs unmanned options, e.g., drones or cruise missiles, then that build up seems like overkill.

And then there's the fact that some of our best, most modern, most capable, manned fighters have never seen use due to cost considerations were one to be lost.

Add the limitations and vulnerabilities of Carriers the rationale for their continued additions escapes me.

Salaries for the rank and file? I'm fine with them except when they prove to be insufficient to keep spouses/families of deployed, rank-and-file service-members out of the SNAP program... and in their homes.

I am not fine with the outsourcing of "military support" to the private sector, e.g., food service, minor construction, armed support for "security" and other purposes.

On the other hand.... I'm not sure what we spend, or how wisely we spend what we spend, on Cyber Warfare capabilities, but doesn't seem like enough.

So cal's a different person here?

I'm pretty sure I'm current...

But put that way... we all want to see programs that fit our philosophy preferentially funded. For me military budget is a question of: how strong is strong enough? Where is the line between "security" and Defense Industry "welfare".

When facts like that our Air Force is substantially bigger, more powerful than the second-largest, flying force in the world surface, then that strikes me as somewhat excessive.

When the fact arises that the 2nd-largest, flying force belongs to our US Navy, then that strikes me as pretty excessive.

When both those forces are essentially unused assets due to the changing nature of our enemies, i.e., border-free terrorist groups vs. nation-states, plus our understandable aversion to putting pilots in harms way vs unmanned options, e.g., drones or cruise missiles, then that build up seems like overkill.

And then there's the fact that some of our best, most modern, most capable, manned fighters have never seen use due to cost considerations were one to be lost.

Add the limitations and vulnerabilities of Carriers the rationale for their continued additions escapes me.

Salaries for the rank and file? I'm fine with them except when they prove to be insufficient to keep spouses/families of deployed, rank-and-file service-members out of the SNAP program... and in their homes.

I am not fine with the outsourcing of "military support" to the private sector, e.g., food service, minor construction, armed support for "security" and other purposes.

On the other hand.... I'm not sure what we spend, or how wisely we spend what we spend, on Cyber Warfare capabilities, but doesn't seem like enough.

This is spot on. I'd like to think Americans are smart enough to determine which programs make sound logical and fiscal sense to fund. Unfortunately it appears that campaign donations, a driving need to stay in office and stimulating your buddies portion of the economy has driven policy making in Washington.

Archived