THE BROWNS BOARD

Training Camp Battles (by position group): Linebackers

thenew23

Training camp is getting closer... not soon enough, but still getting closer... Time to activate the Fantasy FB leagues and start ranking your players... While you're doing so, take a look at the linebacker situation we have coming into camp

12 linebackers coming to camp. Here's what I see...

Starting OLBs - Paul Kruger and Jabaal Sheard

Enough has been said about Sheard over the offseason for it to be pretty obvious he is "the guy" out of our OLB unit. Kruger has enough experience, and is getting paid enough money, that he will probably be slotted in as the starting guy opposite Sheard. Not much of a battle, at least to begin the season... BUT...

OLB3 - Barkevious Mingo

Mingo will no doubt be given an opportunity to shine this season. I don't think he has much of a chance to unseat Kruger/Sheard before the season starts, but I do think he'll get enough snaps to be considered an important piece of our defense. There may be times when we see all 3 of these guys on the field...

Starting ILB - Karlos Dansby

We didn't bring him in for nothing. He starts... Day 1, obviously, and dramatically improves our coverage in the middle of the field, especially on TEs

Starting ILB2 - Craig Robertson vs Chris Kirskey

Our first real battle in this group. Here's my thing, Pettine has shown that he adapts his defensive sets based on who is on the roster. While 3-4 may be the base, I can forsee many snaps where neither of these guys are on the field. They may be considered "starters" but I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of a 4-2-5 lineup with Mingo and Dansby as the LBs with Sheard as a DE... just my thoughts. Robertson did not play great last year, and Kirskey is unproven; however, I believe these are the two guys in competetion for that "starting" ILB spot.

LBs 6, 7, and possibly/probably 8 - Loser of ILB2 vs Tank Carder vs Brandon Magee vs Darius Eubanks vs Zac Diles vs Justin Staples vs Eric Martin

The theme of many of my posts has been "versatility." Some of these guys look like 3-4 ILBs, while some look like 3-4 OLBs, while some look like 4-3 OLBs, etc... There is quite a bit of talent here to pick from. I like Carder and Eubanks as guys who can play in the middle, and I've heard good things about Diles as well. Can't wait to watch some of these guys in pre-season.

Eligible for Practice Squad - Justin Staples, Darius Eubanks, Brandon Magee

My Picks:

LOLB - Paul Kruger

LILB - Craig Robertson

RILB - Karlos Dansby

ROLB - Jabaal Sheard

OLB3 - Barkevious Mingo

ILB3 - Tank Carder

LB7 - Chris Kirksey

LB8 - Darius Eubanks

PS - Justin Staples

Release - Diles, Martin, Magee

This is so hard to predict. Finding the right group of linebackers is key to having an aggressive 3-4 defense. Guys have to be able to shed blockers, cover RBs and TEs, and get to the passer. Carder, Kirskey, and Eubanks all look better fit for ILB spots, but they are probably the 3 best out of the bottom bunch. I could see Martin or Staples cracking the roster if they show some ability to get to the passer. Adding Dansby, and hopefully Kirksey, will help us prevent opposing TEs from tearing us apart (of course there is another guy in the next segment that should help as well). Should be some good competetion for those last few spots...

Next up... Secondary...

I wouldn't necessarily count ILB2 as a solid start position. The snap count is not going to be anywhere near as high as the other 6 positions on the D because of the variations in formations we'll be using. I'd be interested in the statistics from both us and the bills last year.

For us last year there were the following snap counts:

Haden: 1051 / 1107

Skrine: 1036

Owens: 539

McFadden: 186

So that's basically saying that for around half of the snaps we had a third CB on the field.

Craig Robertson saw 790 snaps, while DQJ had 1105.

For us last year there were the following snap counts:

Haden: 1051 / 1107

Skrine: 1036

Owens: 539

McFadden: 186

So that's basically saying that for around half of the snaps we had a third CB on the field.

Craig Robertson saw 790 snaps, while DQJ had 1105.

Interesting. Where did you find these figures?

i know this is a new defense BUT why do we call sheard and mingo OLBs when they are defensive ends?

wouldn't you modify the scheme to get the most out of your players?

wtf?

They're pass rushers. In a 4-3 they'd be DEs and that's where they were brought up in college ball, but in a 3-4 they're standing up at OLB because that's where the rush comes from. The difference between 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB is basically the added coverage, but the pass rushing techniques will be basically the same.

They're pass rushers. In a 4-3 they'd be DEs and that's where they were brought up in college ball, but in a 3-4 they're standing up at OLB because that's where the rush comes from. The difference between 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB is basically the added coverage, but the pass rushing techniques will be basically the same.

Ummmmm... disagree...

Anyway.... here's a fun fact.

Originally the 3-4 was developed to be a superior run defense with 3 D-line tying up 5 O-line creating an extra pursuing LB.

Ummmmm... disagree...

Anyway.... here's a fun fact.

Originally the 3-4 was developed to be a superior run defense with 3 D-line tying up 5 O-line creating an extra pursuing LB.

Disagree with what? I thought I had the gist of it about right...

**crickets**

no takers?

i know shit about football schemes etc.

it just amazes when a new coaching staff comes in that they change things to a point where they make players play outside their comfort zone considering they have played a different position all their life and excelled at it.

To me the difference between the 3-4 and 4-3 is just where you start the play. We've all seen shit like cornerback sacks and defensive linemen peeling off into coverage.

I think diversity with the linebackers is what the Browns are going for. You hear shit from the minicamps about how Mingo is looking good in coverage, but the guy wasn't drafted to do that shit. However, he's athletic as hell and probably good at it.

Drafting Kirksey tells me something about what their looking for in a LB. He was drafted higher than the experts thought he would be, so what is it about him that the Browns thought highly enough to draft him that high? Seriously, l wanna know.

And l like Martin to make the 53.

Archived