THE BROWNS BOARD

Brown's New Mascot

utzie

From @ESPNNFL: "The Browns will use a bull mastiff dog named SWAGGER as their mascot this season joining SEA, DEN and BAL as teams with live animal mascots."

Thoughts?

Edit: Misplaced the apostrophe in the title, but whatever. You get the point.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found it interesting that they named the dog Swagger. I'm wondering if it's mostly because of what Pettine preaches or if it is indirectly about Johnny. I just hope no one starts calling him Swag...

I am not sure why we need it. I was hoping that with a new era that they would get away from the whole "Dawg" business. Its a throwback name to the Hanford/Minniefield days....and probably should have stayed there.

I mean, after all, if you say "the Steel Curtain" you are talking about the 70s Steelers defense, Greene/Lambert/etc. not about today's Steeler defense.

If you talk about the Purple People Eaters you are talking about Page/Eller/Larsen/Marshall....not about today's Viking Defense.

If you talk about The Fearsome Foursome you are talking about Jones/Olson/Lundy/Greer....not about today's Ram's Defense.

If you are talking about the Doomsday Defense, you are talking about Lilly/Randy White/Too Tall Jones/Jethro Pugh...not about today's Cowboys defense

If you talk about the Orange Crush, you mean late 70s Broncos, not today's Broncos.

If you talk about the Sack Exchange you refer to the Gastineau led Jets defense, not today's Jets.

If you talk about the Blue Meanies you mean Lawrence Taylor, Carl Banks, Pepper Johnson, Harry Carson etc., not today's Giants.

And on and on.

And the Dawgs should have belonged to that 80s era and that is it.

I am not sure why we need it. I was hoping that with a new era that they would get away from the whole "Dawg" business. Its a throwback name to the Hanford/Minniefield days....and probably should have stayed there.

I mean, after all, if you say "the Steel Curtain" you are talking about the 70s Steelers defense, Greene/Lambert/etc. not about today's Steeler defense.

If you talk about the Purple People Eaters you are talking about Page/Eller/Larsen/Marshall....not about today's Viking Defense.

If you talk about The Fearsome Foursome you are talking about Jones/Olson/Lundy/Greer....not about today's Ram's Defense.

If you are talking about the Doomsday Defense, you are talking about Lilly/Randy White/Too Tall Jones/Jethro Pugh...not about today's Cowboys defense

If you talk about the Orange Crush, you mean late 70s Broncos, not today's Broncos.

If you talk about the Sack Exchange you refer to the Gastineau led Jets defense, not today's Jets.

If you talk about the Blue Meanies you mean Lawrence Taylor, Carl Banks, Pepper Johnson, Harry Carson etc., not today's Giants.

And on and on.

And the Dawgs should have belonged to that 80s era and that is it.

I disagree, I think the "Dawgs" transcended the era and gave us an identity that still sticks today. I think it is more like calling the Giants the "G-Men" , the Cowboys "America's Team" or the Saints using "Who Dat" and the Bungles "Who Dey" ... it is just something that came along and stuck.

It is marketable, it gives us an identity, it is fun ... I think, if anything, we should embrace the whole "Dawgpound" thing even more.

Zombo

I disagree, I think the "Dawgs" transcended the era and gave us an identity that still sticks today. I think it is more like calling the Giants the "G-Men" , the Cowboys "America's Team" or the Saints using "Who Dat" and the Bungles "Who Dey" ... it is just something that came along and stuck.

It is marketable, it gives us an identity, it is fun ... I think, if anything, we should embrace the whole "Dawgpound" thing even more.

Zombo

Well, I see a large part of the whole Dawg thing as being very much a product of an unimaginitve public relations department.

To me, if it were the case that the Dawg persona was the organic wish of the fans, then I would be OK with it...like it was in the beginning. But I see it more now as just a contrived artifact shoved down our throat merely for marketing/money purposes.

i hope the mascot is a big sloppy fucking drunk dog that goes around and swipes mustard off the fans hot dogs with his nuts.

god knows they won't see it because they are such fucking geniuses watching the game.

not.

Having the dog really isnt a big deal, its something the kids will like. The Browns are trying to make it a more family vibe. The name though is kinda not good. I was thinking along the lines of Bruiser.

I thought the whole Dawg thing was pretty cool how it started with those guys getting fired up and barking at the fans, and they barked right back! I'll admit l thought it would die down, or something equally cool and organic would take its place, but it never happened.

It does seem kinda commercialized now, but it seems enough fans have embraced it that its here to stay. Hell, with every game on tv they show the fat dawg guy, and the 3 headed dawg guy, and the lady with the charm bracelet beehive hair.

Trained to go for the groin.

That is a little bulldog. Imagine what a bull mastiff could do if sic'd on a Steeler player.

Go for Big Ben's gonads and no woman will have to worry about him ever again!

(though...it would likely result in a lawsuit) I mean, a Bull mastiff is a dog you don't want to fuck with:

Bullmastiff-puppies-16.jpg

For all of you bitching about the name, the Browns are not naming the dog. It is the name that the owner gave the dog that they are bringing in to be the mascot. Considering the noise and excitement on the sidelines, it would be dangerous to bring in puppy or an untrained dog to be the mascot. They are bringing in a professionally trained dog who currently has an owner. That means a previous name.

remember spuds mackenzie?

while living in mesa a local radio station plugged a night were bud was bringing in spuds mackenzie. so my sister and i (animal lovers that we are) went out to see the dog and it's trainer etc. so we thought.

as we were walking in the bar through the parking lot some douchebag was putting on a english pit terrier outfit.

wanted to walk up to the asshole and kick him in the nuts. (even though he was just making a buck). reallY? i'm going to sit and spend money and watch some asshole dance around in a dog costume instead of getting to check out the cool actual dog?

go fuck yourselves bud light.

Archived